William Carvalho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

He was ok. Don't think he was as good as the commentators were making him out to be, though. That said, you can see he's got bags of potential.

Bwuk

Thought he was good tonight, but England's midfield three were poor.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He looked very flat footed during one play in the first half. Just let the winger, (Redmond?) just breeze past him and he nonchalantly jogged behind him. Other than that he seemed fine.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He was pretty crap in the beggining of the season and wasn´t that impressive in the Champions League like i mentioned in a previous post. Having said that, his performances in the second half of the season were very good and he was excellent in our cup win against Braga when we were down to ten men since the 16th minute. Doesn´t surprise me that he impressed in this U21 game, he is used to playing in a higher level, against seasoned pros and this England midfield was very poor.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems like a proper mourinho signing. Can see him and Matic with fabregas just ahead, it'll be a nightmare.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm wondering why we aren't linked to him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
FAO Portuguese league watchers - is this just a good run of well timed form or has Carvalho been this good all year?

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
*misses penalty* He's rubbish. Do not want. :nervous:

Phil

I still just don't think he's very good. I'd rather have half of that u21 team that passes and moves.

JohnnyLaw

He's talented, if we were looking for a like for like successor to Carrick then this guy looks almost as close as you'll get. I don't think I'd want to take a punt on him at this point though.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Pity about the missed penalty but he got a reasonable "reward" after such a long season that included World Cup campaign, Champions League, Portuguese league and cup.

"...The UEFA Technical Observers, present at every match, chose William as the U21 EURO's outstanding performer, including him as one of five Portuguese in their best XI from the tournament. William, an authoritative central midfielder who plays his club football for Sporting CP, was ever-present for Rui Jorge's team throughout their finals campaign. The 23-year-old's most impressive display came in the 5-0 semi-final defeat of Germany. William was hugely dominant over his direct opponent Emre Can, another player who had hitherto stood out, helping his side to inflict a record U21 defeat on their opponents. He also played throughout the final against Sweden although he missed his spot kick in the penalty shoot-out which brought down the curtain on the tournament. William, who already has 13 senior caps to his name, attempted (394) and completed (349) more passes than anyone else in the Czech Republic. William's tournament in numbers 480 minutes played (joint tournament high) 394 passes attempted (tournament high) 349 passes completed (tournament high) 12 fouls suffered (joint tournament high) 4 attempts blocked 3 fouls committed 1 attempt off target 0 attempts on target

http://www.uefa.com/under21/news/newsid=2262774.html

Doubt we will keep him but i hope we do. Him and Bernardo Silva will surely be a part of our senior national team in the future

RedorDead21

Pity about the missed penalty but he got a reasonable "reward" after such a long season that included World Cup campaign, Champions League, Portuguese league and cup.

"...The UEFA Technical Observers, present at every match, chose William as the U21 EURO's outstanding performer, including him as one of five Portuguese in their best XI from the tournament. William, an authoritative central midfielder who plays his club football for Sporting CP, was ever-present for Rui Jorge's team throughout their finals campaign. The 23-year-old's most impressive display came in the 5-0 semi-final defeat of Germany. William was hugely dominant over his direct opponent Emre Can, another player who had hitherto stood out, helping his side to inflict a record U21 defeat on their opponents. He also played throughout the final against Sweden although he missed his spot kick in the penalty shoot-out which brought down the curtain on the tournament. William, who already has 13 senior caps to his name, attempted (394) and completed (349) more passes than anyone else in the Czech Republic. William's tournament in numbers 480 minutes played (joint tournament high) 394 passes attempted (tournament high) 349 passes completed (tournament high) 12 fouls suffered (joint tournament high) 4 attempts blocked 3 fouls committed 1 attempt off target 0 attempts on target

Doubt we will keep him but i hope we do. Him and Bernardo Silva will surely be a part of our senior national team in the future
You know as I watched him and his style I couldnt help but be reminded of Paul McGrath.....strange.

Annahnomoss

Deserved. Very positive that the two of them also showed that they can play great together. Silva had me grasping for air every time he got it in front of our defense. Protects the ball well, has the technique and goal-scoring to create something but also an impressive passing range.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Imagine a midfield of Schneiderlin-Carvalho-Herrera :drool:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Can't believe a top team hasn't made a move for him yet.
Aren't they demanding something huge like 35m for him? That may explain it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Did he really won the u21 player of the tournament?

I have said for a long time that United should go after him. Glad to see he is still doing well. However, after watching United under Van Gaal, it is hard to say whether we would be the right club for him. Perhaps Arsenal will be more suitable as competition for Coquelin. Nevertheless, Carvalho is a player similiar to Martinez and Xabi Alonso, as such, he would be the ideal "like to like" replacement for Carrick.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I was very impressed with his passing from back in parts of the semi-final and the finals of the Euros U-21 I saw. One thing I have doubts over is his mobility, looked a bit heavy in his movement.

@Sly - Is his passing and vision usually that good when he plays for Sporting? What do you think about his movement and defensive postioning?

Hed Zitin

Suffered a tibia fracture playing for Portugal's under-21 team and will be out for 10 to 12 weeks. I imagine he was on the shopping list of few clubs.

Glad we got Morgan early now.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He did look like he was carrying some sort of injury in the Euro U21, i mentioned that on the tournament thread. He still won the player of the tournament award anyways. He will be out for about 3 months. Bad news since he will miss the Champions League playoffs and the Supercup against Benfica. Good news is that it´s almost certain he won´t leave us this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.