William Carvalho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarrou

With all due respect, being a Sporting man myself and siding with your long term vision that William has tremendous potential, his passing is nowhere near Fàbregas. Cesc Fàbregas is one of the best passers in world football, incisive, accurate and with a tremendous vision, especially in the final third. William is a solid passer, but he keeps it simple most of the time. Good long and short range passer, but again, not even close to Fàbregas. I'd compare him to Busquets in that aspect of his game.
Pretty sure he was talking about Joao Mario.

Anyway, William's passing is as good as Busquets? Not sure about that, but I've only seen him 5 or 6 times tbh (and I do rate him very highly).

bm_5

Pretty sure he was talking about Joao Mario.

Anyway, William's passing is as good as Busquets? Not sure about that, but I've only seen him 5 or 6 times tbh (and I do rate him very highly).
You're right. It's still an outrageous claim if Sly is talking about João Mário.

Also, I didn't say William's passing is as good as Busquet's. I said the type of passes they make are similar (in early build up situations). They pass the ball to similar areas, in similar situations and take similar risks. Fàbregas is a creative midfielder, a final pass man. Busquets and William are recovery, first pass players. That's what I meant.

P.S. Sorry Sly.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
With all due respect, being a Sporting man myself and siding with your long term vision that William has tremendous potential, his passing is nowhere near Fàbregas. Cesc Fàbregas is one of the best passers in world football, incisive, accurate and with a tremendous vision, especially in the final third. William is a solid passer, but he keeps it simple most of the time. Good long and short range passer, but again, not even close to Fàbregas. I'd compare him to Busquets in that aspect of his game.
If you read properly, you could see i was talking about João Mário. And in the comparison i was talking about the style of play and obviously he´s not as good as Fábregas yet. But their playing style is very similiar minus the goal threat that João Mário has to improve.

P.s No worries.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How's he doing?
Average. Started the season in poor form and didn't really took advantage of the Champions League to shine. Played very well against Porto and Benfica and that's it. A shadow of the player he was last year. Even so in the last games he has started to pick form. Did a goal assist pass from our defensive end which was amazing. I don't really know what to say, if he is going to fulfill his potencial. With the form he has displayed this year, he doesn't deserve a transfer to a big european club. He has been displaying some glimpses of the Carvalho from last year but it's not enough. United link is completely dead but Arsenal scouts have been reported at our matches.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He is like having Mangala in midfield.
It's nothing like that. Terrible comparison and it just shows that you don't know him at all. Mangala's physical power is precisely what he is missing. His tactical awareness and his ability to recover balls are one of the few attributes that he still retains from last year. His physical form has been a letdown.

m1y2

I think we are good for DMs at the moment, happy with Carrick & Blind
The other way around, this is the position we need to strengthen the most we haven't bought one decent player on this position since carrick. We depended alot on Scholes last years. Which was quite unique system around a unique player and we won couple of titles so it was worthy but then Anderson was trying to be converted and had bright future but it has been killed with neverending injuries. Cleverley didn't live up to his potential. Gibson was average. Fletcher got ill. Saf didn't want to spend more on player so we coped with that. Carrick is 34, when will everybody understand that? He was a great servant to the club but he should play less and less, 20-25 games a year against low tempo oppositions is my suggestion. When we are building a new team who wants to dominate the world - beating with confidence teams like Barcelona, Bayern, RM, I can't imagine that doing with Carrick at 35,36? Can you? He is not Scholes and even with Scholes we started to struggle meaning we played for points and never dominated a game against top oppositions as we wanted to fit him at 37, Giggs and Carrick so we had to play often with 5men mdfield and it was really unwatchable at times.. And we don't need that kind of player - playmaker..

We need someone who will shield the defense like CARVALHO or WANYAMA.. I actually came here if there is anyone who could compare these two as I don't watch Sporting at all?

And Blind is just about good but he is no Modric and also not the type of player we need as CDM imo. Well of course, this kinda of "versatile" player who can do the job at different positions and is reliable enough for the manager will come handy but I would aspire higher.. if we ever want to win Champions league again.. I guess once I said this we will win it and Blind will be in the starting line-up and winning the MOTM price.. two decent "CDM" is not good enough for top club like MUFC, We need one more and preferably different from the two as we have got a lot of creativity up front

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Forget it mate. This coming from a Sporting fan. With the sort of form he is displaying this year, i don't even think he would start at Crystal Palace.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
It's nothing like that. Terrible comparison and it just shows that you don't know him at all. Mangala's physical power is precisely what he is missing. His tactical awareness and his ability to recover balls are one of the few attributes that he still retains from last year. His physical form has been a letdown.
I thought physicality was one of his strong suits? I still remember that tackle which took out 3 players :lol:

Forget it mate. This coming from a Sporting fan. With the sort of form he is displaying this year, i don't even think he would start at Crystal Palace.
Nice try mate. We'll be coming over for a friendly soon enough :p

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hate to gloat (I love to gloat) but I said all summer he was best avoided.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I thought physicality was one of his strong suits? I still remember that tackle which took out 3 players :lol:
It was when he isn't lazy and taking months to return to his best physical form.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I hate to gloat (I love to gloat) but I said all summer he was best avoided.
To be fair, i wasn't expecting such drop in his form. As i said in previous posts, i think the rejection of that last minute Arsenal bid took a physicological toll on him. I'm still hopeful he will return to last years form but atm he doesn't deserve a big club transfer. But who knows, he is still young, displayed some interesting potencial, perhaps he can put his career back on track again. In terms of production and quality of performances, he has been the worst of our midfielders with Adrien and João Mário clearly better.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
To be fair, i wasn't expecting such drop in his form. As i said in previous posts, i think the rejection of that last minute Arsenal bid took a physicological toll on him. I'm still hopeful he will return to last years form but atm he doesn't deserve a big club transfer. But who knows, he is still young, displayed some interesting potencial, perhaps he can put his career back on track again. In terms of production and quality of performances, he has been the worst of our midfielders with Adrien and João Mário clearly better.
Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a drop in form like he has had this season either. It's just that from the times I caught his games, admittedly never 90 minutes, I just didn't see a player there that would translate it to the Premier League.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
In your last game, you clearly needed someone to pick up the game and create. Funny how Nani did exactly that, in the evening, in our important game against Braga :p
I'm one of many here who desperately wanted Nani to succeed at United, so I'm happy (not least for him as a person) that he is doing well at Sporting and seemingly getting a run of fitness after the last couple of years, but I can't see him returning to United so I'll just congratulate you on the Braga game :angel:

The few times I've seen Carvalho I've not seen why he is so hyped here, but if his form has dipped this season than that seems a bit worrying at his age.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a drop in form like he has had this season either. It's just that from the times I caught his games, admittedly never 90 minutes, I just didn't see a player there that would translate it to the Premier League.
Eh why not? He was considerably better than Fernando (now City) and close to Matic's best season in Portugal, so why couldn't he translate it to the Premier League? What disappoints me about Carvalho was his reaction after we rejected Arsenal's bid. He sulked and i wasn't expecting that after the chance we gave him. He's young and will have other opportunities. Wouldn't be surprised if Mendes ends up getting him a transfer, that we would suddenly have Carvalho at full swing again.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm one of many here who desperately wanted Nani to succeed at United, so I'm happy (not least for him as a person) that he is doing well at Sporting and seemingly getting a run of fitness after the last couple of years, but I can't see him returning to United so I'll just congratulate you on the Braga game :angel:

The few times I've seen Carvalho I've not seen why he is so hyped here, but if his form has dipped this season than that seems a bit worrying at his age.
Yeah i also think that Nani's time is up at United. He's 28 years old and in no age to return to the intermittent playing time at United. Wouldn't do him any favours in our national team. If he mantains his Champions League form in the Europa League, i think you will get a decent fee and he will get a good european club to move to. And all parties will be satisfied.

NoPace

Yeah i also think that Nani's time is up at United. He's 28 years old and in no age to return to the intermittent playing time at United. Wouldn't do him any favours in our national team. If he mantains his Champions League form in the Europa League, i think you will get a decent fee and he will get a good european club to move to. And all parties will be satisfied.
If we play 4 at the back with 2 wide players, Nani and Januzaj would be great backups for Di Maria and the other starter we sign.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho has admitted he is desperate to move to the Premier League.

Arsenal and Manchester United have both looked at the Portuguese midfielder with Sporting ready to sell for £20m-plus. His agent Jorge Mendes is trying to broker a deal.

Carvalho told Portuguese publication Record: "My dream is to play in England. I know some clubs are interested but my agent Jorge is looking after it and I am relaxed.

"Now my mission is to work in Sporting and they will be in charge of any transfer and my future. That is very important."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...nal-manchester-united-transfer-target-4967695

Bwuk

Reports in Portugal saying a swap deal plus cash with Nani.
I'd take that, although I'd be worried that a midfield with any two of him, Carrick and Blind would perhaps be a bit slow.

izec

If true, Carvalho and Strootman would be 2 midfield players brought in. That would mean one of Herrera or Fellaini are as good as gone. Doubt it that we are interested though.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We likely need Nani more than we need him.
No mention of any cash plus Nani deal in the portuguese press. Like i said Carvalho to United link is dead. Van Gaal isn't interested in him. Only rumor is about Arsenal but has Pete has said the sources come from a english rag.
Out of curiosity the list of scouts in the last Sporting game vs Braga: Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton, Southampton, Tottenham, Reading, Real Madrid, Valência, Granada, Deportivo, Levante, Montepellier and Udinese.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Just watched the Sporting vs Benfica game from last night, pretty scrappy stuff but he was very good in the holding role, winning one on one's with ease, showing great composure on the ball and passing it nicely into the forward players. Him and João Mário look to have a good understanding in Sporting's midfield.

The one negative mark was that he didn't react at all to Jardel when Benfica scored their equalizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.