Willie Satinoff

TomClare

Yesterday, when we remembered those wonderful young boys and the coaches, secretary and sportswriters; now let's also take a moment to remember the only fan who was on board that ill fated aircraft - Willie Satinoff. It's always been a sadness to me that he tends to be forgottenon the anniversaryday, and I just wish that there was some formal recognition of him in some way at Old Trafford, maybe in the form of a small plaque. He was one of us - a fan - who loved the Club, loved the team, and gave his life following them.

The following is the introduction to a piece I wrote for MUST/RN and will give you a little insight as to how fate played such a huge part in United's future. George Whittaker bitterly opposed any recommendation of Louis Edwards as a Director at Manchester United. Willie would certainly have become a member of the board, but all within a week, Whiitaker died, Willie died, and and on Saturday, February 8th 1958, at an emergency Board Meeting, Edwards was opted onto the Board as a Director.

On Friday, January 31st 1958, the Manchester United team, officials, and directors, traveled down to London in readiness for the team's fixture against Arsenal which was to be played at Highbury the following afternoon. On Saturday morning, February 1st 1958, one of the Manchester United directors, Mr. George Whittaker, a Manchester business man, was found dead in bed in his hotel room. He had passed away in his sleep during the night. That afternoon, as a mark of respect, players from both teams wore black armbands, and a minutes silence was observed by both teams and the 55,000 fans attending, prior to the match kicking off.

The game itself is widely remembered, even today, because that cold, grey, February afternoon, United triumphed in a feast of football and goals, by 5-4. Sadly, for some United players, it was to be the last game of football that they ever played on their home, British soil.

The party traveled back to Manchester by train immediately after the game, and the players and manager were in a very buoyant mood given their display at Highbury just a few hours earlier. Accompanying the party that day was a supporter; another Manchester business man by the name of Willie Satinoff. Mr. Satinoff had made his money in the cotton trade in and around the Manchester area. Outside of his business interests, his main pass time was following Manchester United Football Club, and he was fanatical in his support for his beloved club.

Willie was close to Matt Busby. So close in fact, that he had traveled with the United team on all of their European exploits since their journey began in the 1956/57 season. So it was that on February 3rd, 1958, he was the only fan traveling with the team out to Belgrade for the forthcoming return European Cup Quarter Final tie against the Red Star Belgrade club. At that time, it was commonly known within Manchester football circles, that Willie was being tipped to soon become a director at the Club which he was so fanatical about.

Sadly, his hopes and dreams of attaining this position were shattered by the events of Thursday, February 6th, 1958. Willie paid the ultimate price for following his beloved United when he perished in that terrible accident on a snowy afternoon on the runway of the airport in Munich, Germany. Since that date, Willie Satinoff has fast become the forgotten man of Munich. Reams of paper have been written about events; radio and t.v. documentaries have covered the incident in great detail, but apart from Willie Satinoff's name being listed amongst those that perished, he never ever, gets a mention.

His resting place is passed by every day without notice, as hundreds of people make their way by various means along one of Manchester's busiest throroughfares. Many I suspect are fervent Manchester United fans, who today, given the length of time that has passed since the accident happened, wouldn't even know who Willie Satinoff was. For those of you that may be interested, he rests in the Jewish section of the Southern Cemetery, Manchester, almost adjacent to the Manchester Crematorium. As you walk down Barlow Moor Road towards Princess Parkway, and pass by the Crematorium, there is a little gate which allows you entrance into the Jewish section of Southern Cemetery. Willie's resting place is just down on the right hand side of the path, after you have passed through the gate. Unpretentious, just a plain black marble stone, sadly highlighting the details of the date, and where, this United fan passed away.

That Willie has never ever been recognized in any way, by the Club, or anybody else for that matter, has always saddened me. But then again, why ever would he be? He was just a fan. But for me, he is an integral part of the Munich story, and one day, I would hope to see some kind of plaque erected to his memory at Old Trafford.

Justin

Well done and good on you for writing this. RIP

WeasteDevil

Excellent piece Tom, you really should post more often.

OldRed1

TomClare said:
Yesterday, when we remembered those wonderful young boys and the coaches, secretary and sportswriters; now let's also take a moment to remember the only fan who was on board that ill fated aircraft - Willie Satinoff. It's always been a sadness to me that he tends to be forgottenon the anniversaryday, and I just wish that there was some formal recognition of him in some way at Old Trafford, maybe in the form of a small plaque. He was one of us - a fan - who loved the Club, loved the team, and gave his life following them.

The following is the introduction to a piece I wrote for MUST/RN and will give you a little insight as to how fate played such a huge part in United's future. George Whittaker bitterly opposed any recommendation of Louis Edwards as a Director at Manchester United. Willie would certainly have become a member of the board, but all within a week, Whiitaker died, Willie died, and and on Saturday, February 8th 1958, at an emergency Board Meeting, Edwards was opted onto the Board as a Director.

On Friday, January 31st 1958, the Manchester United team, officials, and directors, traveled down to London in readiness for the team's fixture against Arsenal which was to be played at Highbury the following afternoon. On Saturday morning, February 1st 1958, one of the Manchester United directors, Mr. George Whittaker, a Manchester business man, was found dead in bed in his hotel room. He had passed away in his sleep during the night. That afternoon, as a mark of respect, players from both teams wore black armbands, and a minutes silence was observed by both teams and the 55,000 fans attending, prior to the match kicking off.

The game itself is widely remembered, even today, because that cold, grey, February afternoon, United triumphed in a feast of football and goals, by 5-4. Sadly, for some United players, it was to be the last game of football that they ever played on their home, British soil.

The party traveled back to Manchester by train immediately after the game, and the players and manager were in a very buoyant mood given their display at Highbury just a few hours earlier. Accompanying the party that day was a supporter; another Manchester business man by the name of Willie Satinoff. Mr. Satinoff had made his money in the cotton trade in and around the Manchester area. Outside of his business interests, his main pass time was following Manchester United Football Club, and he was fanatical in his support for his beloved club.

Willie was close to Matt Busby. So close in fact, that he had traveled with the United team on all of their European exploits since their journey began in the 1956/57 season. So it was that on February 3rd, 1958, he was the only fan traveling with the team out to Belgrade for the forthcoming return European Cup Quarter Final tie against the Red Star Belgrade club. At that time, it was commonly known within Manchester football circles, that Willie was being tipped to soon become a director at the Club which he was so fanatical about.

Sadly, his hopes and dreams of attaining this position were shattered by the events of Thursday, February 6th, 1958. Willie paid the ultimate price for following his beloved United when he perished in that terrible accident on a snowy afternoon on the runway of the airport in Munich, Germany. Since that date, Willie Satinoff has fast become the forgotten man of Munich. Reams of paper have been written about events; radio and t.v. documentaries have covered the incident in great detail, but apart from Willie Satinoff's name being listed amongst those that perished, he never ever, gets a mention.

His resting place is passed by every day without notice, as hundreds of people make their way by various means along one of Manchester's busiest throroughfares. Many I suspect are fervent Manchester United fans, who today, given the length of time that has passed since the accident happened, wouldn't even know who Willie Satinoff was. For those of you that may be interested, he rests in the Jewish section of the Southern Cemetery, Manchester, almost adjacent to the Manchester Crematorium. As you walk down Barlow Moor Road towards Princess Parkway, and pass by the Crematorium, there is a little gate which allows you entrance into the Jewish section of Southern Cemetery. Willie's resting place is just down on the right hand side of the path, after you have passed through the gate. Unpretentious, just a plain black marble stone, sadly highlighting the details of the date, and where, this United fan passed away.

That Willie has never ever been recognized in any way, by the Club, or anybody else for that matter, has always saddened me. But then again, why ever would he be? He was just a fan. But for me, he is an integral part of the Munich story, and one day, I would hope to see some kind of plaque erected to his memory at Old Trafford.
Excellent post Tom. I remember at that time my uncle, also a good friend of Matt Busby, was hoping to be elected to the board but it never happened. On a different point Tom I notice you are based in the USA but the name Tom Clare strikes a chord in my memory, were you brought up in Manchester?

Julian Denny

TomClare said:

.Accompanying the party that day was a supporter; another Manchester business man by the name of Willie Satinoff. Mr. Satinoff had made his money in the cotton trade in and around the Manchester area. Outside of his business interests, his main pass time was following Manchester United Football Club, and he was fanatical in his support for his beloved club.
Great piece Tom. Apparently Willie was a race horse owner as well so he did have other sporting interests outside United.

Of the others on the plane who were not well known, a Mr Miklos who was United's travel agent also persihed although his wife survived. There was also Vera Lukic and her baby daughter Venona who were "saved" by Harry Gregg. For a time there was some speculation, that John Lukic (or was it Lucic ?) was somehow related and could even have been the child - obviously that was later disproved because of age and gender. There was also a N Tomersall. It would be interesting to hear if you know more about these people and why they were travelling.

Derek Brown

Thanks, Tom. Yet another great post and they're always a good read. You really should do them more often.
RIP to ALL who lost their lives on that horrible day. :(

TomClare

OldRed1 said:
Excellent post Tom. I remember at that time my uncle, also a good friend of Matt Busby, was hoping to be elected to the board but it never happened. On a different point Tom I notice you are based in the USA but the name Tom Clare strikes a chord in my memory, were you brought up in Manchester?
Indeed I was. Born and bred in Chorlton upon Medlock.

Colly

Lovely post and really good read, thank you for that. RIP Willie Satinoff

TomClare

Julian Denny said:
Great piece Tom. Apparently Willie was a race horse owner as well so he did have other sporting interests outside United.

Of the others on the plane who were not well known, a Mr Miklos who was United's travel agent also persihed although his wife survived. There was also Vera Lukic and her baby daughter Venona who were "saved" by Harry Gregg. For a time there was some speculation, that John Lukic (or was it Lucic ?) was somehow related and could even have been the child - obviously that was later disproved because of age and gender. There was also a N Tomersall. It would be interesting to hear if you know more about these people and why they were travelling.
Julian, I can't recall the name N. Tomersall, but there was a N. Tomasevic travelling, whom I believe was a Yugoslavian Consular official who "hitched" a ride on United's chartered aircraft, and survived the accident. The Lukic's were I believe the family of the Yugoslavian Air Attache in London.

Tommy Cable, the steward who perished in the accident was a Manchester United fan also. Originally, he wasn't down to make this trip, but swapped the duty with the person who had originally been tasked by B.E.A.

For those of you who may be interested, and may live close to Dukinfield on the outskirts of Manchester, there is in St. Luke's Church, a beautiful, illuminated parchment just inside the door commemorating the Munich tragedy. Well worth a visit to see it if you have the time.

Julian Denny

TomClare said:
Julian, I can't recall the name N. Tomersall, but there was a N. Tomasevic travelling, whom I believe was a Yugoslavian Consular official who "hitched" a ride on United's chartered aircraft, and survived the accident. The Lukic's were I believe the family of the Yugoslavian Air Attache in London.
Quite right Tom. My spelling, taken from the appendix of Frank Taylor's book, was wrong. Also on Mrs Lukic whose main claim to fame subseqently was that she might have been pregnant with John Lukic (Leeds & Arsenal) at the time, was eventually quite obviously disproved.

Julian Denny

The following is an extract from "Manchester United - The Betrayal Of A Legend" by Crick & Smith. It very much supports all Tom has been saying about WS. The italics are mine.

" Another important businessman ( the other being Louis Edwards) whom Busby met through Tommy Appleby was Willie Satinoff, whose family owned a clothing company, Alligator Rainwear. Satinoff was a keen race-goer and owned several racehorses, one of which, Red Alligator, included both his company title and his allegiance to United in its name.........

WS was by far the stronger of the two candidates ( ie him and Edwards) whom Busby might have had in mind for the United board. He had been even more successful in business than Edwards. Unlike the rather hesitant meat man , he was a good public performer. Satinoff dressed immaculately and was extremely popular with everyone. And in contrast to the 17 stone Edwards, WS was slim ; he played five a side daily at the YMCA and rarely drank. People also say he understood football far better than LE and that he was just as close to Busby. ' For many years,' according to the Manchester Guardian,' a deep attachment exisited between WS and Busby. WS became almost an honorary member of the MU football team and followed them wherever they went.' These words, however, were written in his obituary.

The honorary member's fervour for United had cost him his life. Unlike the United directors, Willie Satinoff had gone with the official party to Belgrade ...
(to be fair to the directors the morning of the game was fellow director George Whittaker's funeral).

Many who knew him, including Busby's close friend Paddy McGrath, believe that, had he lived, WS would have been the obvious successor to Harold Hardman as United chairman. They argue that certainly he would have been elected to the board in due course. There by all accounts he would have been a formidable force and , perhaps, an obstacle to the ambitions of Busby's other close businessman friend, Louis Edwards. It is unlikely that had WS lived, whether as a United director or simply as a dedicated supporter, Louis Edwards would have been allowed to get away with the clever plan he was to carry out over the enxt seven years "

Last bit is pure speculation but probably what would have happened all the same

kinkster

TomClare said:

Tommy Cable, the steward who perished in the accident was a Manchester United fan also. Originally, he wasn't down to make this trip, but swapped the duty with the person who had originally been tasked by B.E.A.

For those of you who may be interested, and may live close to Dukinfield on the outskirts of Manchester, there is in St. Luke's Church, a beautiful, illuminated parchment just inside the door commemorating the Munich tragedy. Well worth a visit to see it if you have the time.

going to pay a visit to that this weekend as only live 10 minutes from duki.

Another great read tom its unlikely Willie will ever get any recognition from the club but its more important the fans are aware, he was one of us the only one of us that was lost in the tragedy so long may he remain in our memories.

RIP

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
TomClare said:

Great post Tom.......

RIP