Willy Kambwala | 2023/24 Performances

Spark

MoTM for me all things considered.

Haven't seen it back, but from in the stands his booking seemed absurd.
Was off the ground, but he got the ball. I think it was technically dangerous and he was unlucky.

Overall, i think he was MOTM.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He was top class today, looked like he has been playing at the top level for years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At the very least he should be developed into one of those players Chelsea sell for £30m rather than the type we sell for £1.5m.

Wow. Monster performance today. That tackle he got a yellow for was glorious. Should be starting from now ahead of Lindelof at least.

Stadjer

I wouldnt mind it if he became fourth option next year. Martinez, new CB to partner Martinez, one off Varane/Maguire/Lindelof as backup and Kamwala as number four.

Idxomer

At the very least he should be developed into one of those players Chelsea sell for £30m rather than the type we sell for £1.5m.
I was coming to say something similar. Definitely someone who at the very least will end up as a decent PL defender and could be sold for a good fee if the club is running efficiently.

LDUred

Gave him MOTM today.

It's about finding him the right partner. If he's got someone alongside him who's a little more technical, he could be real force.

He's physically a monster already and he's barely out of his teens.

We've been bullied this season and we're just generally too soft, but Kambwala gave us an edge today in physical duels.

Absolutely, we need someone in defence who is pacy and also physical and with the right coaching this lad will go far.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Looks a talent. Should be given Lindelof’s minutes next year.

OleGunnar20

Great performance. I'd much rather see what he's made of than watch Lindelof fanny about.

Its one of the few things I've really liked about ETH - He integrates youngsters very well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He got injured for about 18 months if I recall rightly.
Then got injured again and the 18 months turned into two seasons of missed development.

I'm actually quite surprised he's featured in the first team at all considering the amount of games he's missed in the last two years. But if ten Hag feels you're ready to contribute in the first team then he will play you.

There's further development still to come if he can steer clear of injuries which have blighted him in the last few seasons. But in the game today he displayed that he has the ability and potential to be a strong dueller both on the ground and in the air. He has the recovery pace too which is important to quell the threat in defensive transition. And even though he made a mistake where he mis-judged the flight of the ball which sent Nunez away down the left flank, he recovered the situation well when most of our other CBs would be toast in that situation.

He needs games and mistakes will likely be made. And having watched him play at youth level for Sochaux, he was a very well rounded CB who was strong in the duels with recovery pace and the ability to pass short and long. I hope he can transfer that ability to first team football, and that will hopefully become more evident as he plays more games and progresses as a young CB.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He wasn’t perfect but didn’t look out of place at all. One of our better players after being thrust into a really challenging fixture.

Has to be given more games for the rest of the season now - give him a chance to really stake his claim and to prove we don’t need to worry about a new CB in the summer. Long term, if Martinez recovers his fitness then feels like the pair of them would make a great combo.

ash_86

Very good game against a tough opposition. He seems to have the body prebuilt to play at this level

cpresc

I like him and loved the character he showed near the start where he made up for his error and then got the crowd going.

Does he ever play defensive midfield? Just wondering if we could be a long term replacement for Case?

Stig

Just play him...He's looked solid enough and has good pace unlike the rest of our CBs.
Yep agreed. I saw enough of him today to give him a run in the team. Desperate times lead to opportunities and I think he now deserves his.

E-mal

Id be happy playing him every week at this point.
Season is done, dont think we will be worse playing him of the other guys anyway. We might as well see if he what it takes to be back up RCB to whomever we are bringing into the club

Bondi77

Played well I thought, passing could have been a bit more crisp but he is in front of Lindelof as far as I am concerned.

Robertd0803

Season is done, dont think we will be worse playing him of the other guys anyway. We might as well see if he what it takes to be back up RCB to whomever we are bringing into the club
Exactly. You know exactly what you are getting with Lindleof at this stage and while Evans has been really solid its the same scenario there as well.

Paul778

He wasn’t perfect but didn’t look out of place at all. One of our better players after being thrust into a really challenging fixture.

Has to be given more games for the rest of the season now - give him a chance to really stake his claim and to prove we don’t need to worry about a new CB in the summer. Long term, if Martinez recovers his fitness then feels like the pair of them would make a great combo.
I wouldn't go that far. I don't think he's a starter but a definate option.

We have Maguire, Lindelof, Evans, Varane, Martinez and Shaw who have been starting at CB these last two years.

The first three can't play a high line. Varane is out of contract and Martinez has basically missed the season.

We probably need 3 CBs to add to the above. I think Willy can be one of them but we need established players as well.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Good on him today. Couldn't have realistically asked for much more.

luke511

Great performance. Funny it took a gazillion injuries and the manager left with no other choice, for him to get a start.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Fair play to him, have seen enough to warrant him being in the squad as fourth or fifth centre-back next season.

T_Model101

There was point where I forgot that we had a 19 year old academy centre back playing, which is testament to how well he fitted in.
By all accounts he was supposed to be a very in demand youth player, we paid £4M for him at 16.
Would be great to see him make it here

Red & White

Great performance! Really pleased for him. Hopefully he can be part of the squad going forward and we’ll see how he progresses.

Danny

I wouldn't go that far. I don't think he's a starter but a definate option.

We have Maguire, Lindelof, Evans, Varane, Martinez and Shaw who have been starting at CB these last two years.

The first three can't play a high line. Varane is out of contract and Martinez has basically missed the season.

We probably need 3 CBs to add to the above. I think Willy can be one of them but we need established players as well.
Why can't he push to be a starter or a regular though? Based on what we saw today he has all of the tools- ability in the ball was fine mostly, decent in the air and can cover the ground well too. Seemed to read the game well apart from that one error in the first half.

Was highly rated in his earlier years too, and suffered his set back with injuries granted. Worth a squad position at least.

Sancho99

Then got injured again and the 18 months turned into two seasons of missed development.

I'm actually quite surprised he's featured in the first team at all considering the amount of games he's missed in the last two years. But if ten Hag feels you're ready to contribute in the first team then he will play you.

There's further development still to come if he can steer clear of injuries which have blighted him in the last few seasons. But in the game today he displayed that he has the ability and potential to be a strong dueller both on the ground and in the air. He has the recovery pace too which is important to quell the threat in defensive transition. And even though he made a mistake where he mis-judged the flight of the ball which sent Nunez away down the left flank, he recovered the situation well when most of our other CBs would be toast in that situation.

He needs games and mistakes will likely be made. And having watched him play at youth level for Sochaux, he was a very well rounded CB who was strong in the duels with recovery pace and the ability to pass short and long. I hope he can transfer that ability to first team football, and that will hopefully become more evident as he plays more games and progresses as a young CB.

I remember when he came into the u18s and he was a complete mismatch physically for any other opposition player :lol:

Definitely saw some positive signs with his passing today, playing it through into midfield. He definitely grew in confidence as the game went on.

Red Royal

Made a couple of small errors, which may be down to nerves but grew into the game and by the end he was quite commanding. Give him more minutes please Erik.

Played fairly well for what he is, a kid. He didn't look out of place in our back line but then that backline was as chaotic as youll see and Maguire was hardly the example for him to follow today.