Willy Kambwala | 2023/24 Performances

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He didn’t look out of place against a Premier League title challenger.

If anything, he was the reason Darwin played like a donkey and was hauled off.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The dilemma for me is do we buy only two CB's and keep him around as as cover or do we send him out on loan and get him a proper season under his belt at a decent level? Think I'd probably want to loan him, just with how little first team football he's played due to injury.

Dempsey19

Monster performance from him. Loved seeing him try hype up the crowd when he made that great recovery against Nunez. Saw alot of that last season with our proper back 4, it seems to have died out now.

Mike Smalling

Seems like the academy has delivered again. At the very least he's one for squad depth. If we manage to move on Varane (he's just not dependable injury wise and too expensive), we could get a quality partner for Martinez and have Kambwala, Maguire and Lindelöf as back-up. Given our overall squad situation, that might be the best we can hope for.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Seems like the academy has delivered again. At the very least he's one for squad depth. If we manage to move on Varane (he's just not dependable injury wise and too expensive), we could get a quality partner for Martinez and have Kambwala, Maguire and Lindelöf as back-up. Given our overall squad situation, that might be the best we can hope for.
No

tomaldinho1

The dilemma for me is do we buy only two CB's and keep him around as as cover or do we send him out on loan and get him a proper season under his belt at a decent level? Think I'd probably want to loan him, just with how little first team football he's played due to injury.
After this season, no CBs ever leave the club on loan again!

Cassidy

What's your alternative then? Keep an extremely unrealiable Varane around? Or do you want us to pursue buying three centerbacks this summer, while we also have to rebuild the midfield?
Martinez
Kambwala
New CB (on a free)
New CB starting quality

Sell Maguire (wages are too high for a backup), sell Lindelof (hes is more unrealiable than Varane and also lacks of quality)
Let Varane leave, if we need to, extend Evans contract.

Also if you get decent money for Maguire and Lindelof use that to fund the purchase of an additional CB (younger player who has potential) who will also be on far less wages than Maguire, Lindelof and Varane which frees up a lot of capital

EdinburghDevil

He done really well yesterday.

Hopefully he gets a small run of games now which will both help his development and also give the club a better idea of where he is at heading in to next season. Based on yesterday's performance he looks capable of being 3rd/4th choice CB.

Equally, Todibo for a fee + Kambwala on a season long loan could be a good option for both the club and the player

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You have actually watched youth games of Sochaux?
What is your profession?
I'm not a professional scout mate.

I watched quite a few of Sochaux's youth games at youth level in full on YouTube. I actually shared the link of one of those games in full in the players thread at the time of signing the player.

Grande

Monster performance from him. Loved seeing him try hype up the crowd when he made that great recovery against Nunez. Saw alot of that last season with our proper back 4, it seems to have died out now.
He had another good game, not spectacular but sound, which is great for a 19 year old who lost almost two seasons of development to injury issues, against the should-have-been league leaders.

I too particularily liked when he in the first half made a horror mistake to let Nunez(?) through on goal, then save himself with a crazy lunge, and had the audacity to demand an applause from the 75.000, five seconds after making a huge gaffe - I love to see that from a kid at Old Trafford!

Ace of Spades

Good to see him on the pitch. He needs game time, hopefully he gets that till the end of the season.

Mike Smalling

Martinez
Kambwala
New CB (on a free)
New CB starting quality

Sell Maguire (wages are too high for a backup), sell Lindelof (hes is more unrealiable than Varane and also lacks of quality)
Let Varane leave, if we need to, extend Evans contract.

Also if you get decent money for Maguire and Lindelof use that to fund the purchase of an additional CB (younger player who has potential) who will also be on far less wages than Maguire, Lindelof and Varane which frees up a lot of capital
Looking forward to seeing what CB will both be available on a free and a better back-up than Maguire and Lindelöf. And I think you might be underestimating how difficult it will be to sell them. I'd be shocked if we get rid of more than one of Varane/Maguire/Lindelöf this summer, but let's see.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
With ball, he played with extra caution. It’s understandable for a young player thrown into a high pressure game like this.
He will play more next. I would like to see how quickly he can start playing with real confidence. At that point, we can find out if his passing and ball carry are on good level. Anyone watching youth games knows those? Is he good at passing and ball carrying?
He really didn’t play enough at youth level to make any solid conclusions about what he would become. He was injured so much that it really seemed like he would be released and have to drop down and work his way back up through the game. If we hadn’t had such an injury blighted season I doubt he would have ever gotten a look in here but he’s done really well.

At youth level in France at 16 he was already massive and very strong, winning his duels and comfortable taking the ball out. As Adnan mentioned he was said to be the captain of France u17. It’s hard to know actually how good he currently is because to go from that to straight to the first team at Utd and take it in your stride is pretty unprecedented these days. He could actually still be a really top talent if the injuries haven’t robbed him of too much development. He’s worth a few quid again now anyway. Happy for the lad!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He really didn’t play enough at youth level to make any solid conclusions about what he would become. He was injured so much that it really seemed like he would be released and have to drop down and work his way back up through the game. If we hadn’t had such an injury blighted season I doubt he would have ever gotten a look in here but he’s done really well.

At youth level in France at 16 he was already massive and very strong, winning his duels and comfortable taking the ball out. As Adnan mentioned he was said to be the captain of France u17. It’s hard to know actually how good he currently is because to go from that to straight to the first team at Utd and take it in your stride is pretty unprecedented these days. He could actually still be a really top talent if the injuries haven’t robbed him of too much development. He’s worth a few quid again now anyway. Happy for the lad!
Agree with this, hopefully he can now find some stability and stay clear of any injuries, especially long-term ones. And it does seem like he's still rated very highly within the club who observe him on a regular basis with the quote below from Travis Binnion providing more encouragement to the player.

Cassidy

Looking forward to seeing what CB will both be available on a free and a better back-up than Maguire and Lindelöf. And I think you might be underestimating how difficult it will be to sell them. I'd be shocked if we get rid of more than one of Varane/Maguire/Lindelöf this summer, but let's see.
Better backup than Lindelof for free Tosin Adarabioyo (more reliably fit) or Mario Hermoso
Maguire would be replaced by signing a starting CB as I already mentioned
We don't actually really need more than 4 CBs if we have ones that are realiabally fit, and if we need a 5th then sign a young CB for max £25m after selling Magiure and Lindelof and saving on Varanes wages.

Funny enough speaking of midfield we should also sign Adrian Rabiot or Piotr Zielinsky both out of contract in the summer

Ali Dia

Agree with this, hopefully he can now find some stability and stay clear of any injuries, especially long-term ones. And it does seem like he's still rated very highly within the club who observe him on a regular basis with the quote below from Travis Binnion providing more encouragement to the player.

That’s really cool to hear. He came with a big reputation in those circles but he really didn’t make any waves whatsoever at junior level in this country apart from the initial fee and then the injuries. He’s clearly got a lot of heart to battle back and belief in himself as you could see yesterday. It’s great to see him get back on track. Ironically these days he looks really robust and physically dominant, like the kind of player who would rarely come off worse in a challenge in the senior game. If he can do a Tuanzebe or Mengi and stay high up in the game that would be really great for him. From the outside kind of unexpected. If he can go one better and become a really big player here I think that would be a truly amazing turnaround. He probably needs a season on loan to refine his game on the ball. He’s still so young too for a CB these days

Last edited:

georgipep

I'm not a professional scout mate.

I watched quite a few of Sochaux's youth games at youth level in full on YouTube. I actually shared the link of one of those games in full in the players thread at the time of signing the player.
I don't think I've ever watched a non-Manchester United youth game in the last few years :D

I could barely go through them as a kid, playing in them:D

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So do you not pronounce the W in his last name then? Stadium announcer was saying Kam-Ba-La

mu4c_20le

Like Mainoo, he acts like he's been here for ages. Really love the way he pumps up the crowd as well (or shush them, was it chelsea?).

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Very impressive, and he has so much pace to burn. Would like to see more of him for sure.

BorisManUtd

I'd say we'll sell Lindelof. Then we have Martinez, Varane, Maguire, Kambwala, Evans left
Like Mainoo, he acts like he's been here for ages. Really love the way he pumps up the crowd as well (or shush them, was it chelsea?).
Knew we wouldn't win after that.

lex talionis

A junior colossus. We’re sorted at CB next season with Maguire and Lindelof providing cover for Martinez and Willy.

Remember the geese

Sell Maguire, Lindelof and Varane. Let Evans go. Keep Kambwala around with Martinez. Sign two quick, aggressive centre backs who are comfortable in possession.

Ali Dia

He’s actually been here a longish time, longer than Casemiro and Varane. Garnacho too possibly I think or did they join the same summer? He was one of the biggest youth CB talents for his age in Europe. We beat Liverpool to his signature funnily enough. Similar to Garnacho I assume he wasn’t going to sign a pro deal with his boyhood club as their next club can pretty much set them up very nicely for whatever comes next with their first pro contract and signing on bonus. We may have even let him go before now if he hadn’t cost us 4 million. Who knows but there’s actually a very decent chance he’s a baller if he can stay fit and get the experience and management needed to refine his game and make up for lost time

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Given we're more than likely to play Europa or Conference League next season, he should be getting lots of minutes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think I've ever watched a non-Manchester United youth game in the last few years :D

I could barely go through them as a kid, playing in them:D
I used to watch the French equivalent of the FA youth Cup. I don't think I could do that anymore, and I'm trying to limit my time talking about football on forums etc.

Borninthe80ts

It’s interesting to see a number of people comment on his personality as much as anything else. It’s an area we have been lacking for a while for me and players that can add passion and call each other out would help with setting standards.

I think he has all the physical tools to be a top defender, almost in the prototypical French mold, and games will help with grow and learn when to press, when to mark tight and when to step up with the ball, all of which he can do.

He can save us money next season if he can stay fit, like all our defenders he has spent time out or I think we would have seen him earlier in the season or even at the end of last. Definitely a plus from the season.

RuudTom83

Evans (36) Maguire (31) Varane (30) Lindelof (30) Shaw (29)

Generally it's a very old group, especially once you take into account the injuries and longevity of their careers.

Willy should be able to push a few of those out if he takes his chance like Garnacho and Mainoo have done. Not saying he will be a starter but the route into the first team is clear to see.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He was great yesterday and on that performance, im surprised he hasnt played more this season. Is there a reason? Was it a one-off? How has he performed in the youth side, for those that have watched him there?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sell Maguire, Lindelof and Varane. Let Evans go. Keep Kambwala around with Martinez. Sign two quick, aggressive centre backs who are comfortable in possession.
Yeah that's not happening, Maguire will be here next season

Ali Dia

It’s interesting to see a number of people comment on his personality as much as anything else. It’s an area we have been lacking for a while for me and players that can add passion and call each other out would help with setting standards.

I think he has all the physical tools to be a top defender, almost in the prototypical French mold, and games will help with grow and learn when to press, when to mark tight and when to step up with the ball, all of which he can do.

He can save us money next season if he can stay fit, like all our defenders he has spent time out or I think we would have seen him earlier in the season or even at the end of last. Definitely a plus from the season.
He was born in The Congo and moved to France at 5 years old so eligible for both nations.

ROFLUTION

If we’re low on money, then Id just try and develop him next season instead of splashing big on Brantwaithe.

We have bigger needs elsewhere and Maguire’s actually been quite alright this season. (No one will take him).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I hope we can turn him into a decent squad option, get Tosin for free and then only have to sign one center half for the first team to pair up with Martinez. Would do wonders for our finances to sell Maguire, Lindelof and Varane and replace them with one youngster, a free transfer and just one actual expensive signing.

eire-red

We definitely won't be in the CL next year, so he could play all the EL games and cup ties. Add that to the injury woes we have at the back, and he could easily play 20 odd games in a normal season as even 4th choice.

He did well, but we haven't seen enough of him. He has a month now to show us what he's about. Often in these big games young players can be super concentrated and impress, like Tuanzebe in that group stage game vs PSG. Biggest question mark is always do they have the concentration to churn out performances like that every week against the Sheffield United's and Bournemouth's of the league.

It will be interesting to see. You know what you'll get from Lindelof, but with Kwambala the joy is seeing how he'll develop going forward. I hope he's given a chance because he has a lot of the basic traits we've been lacking, and I think we'll be looking for a pacey, aggressive, front foot defender in the market this summer. Now is his chance to show that we already have one at the club.

Woziak

Yeah that's not happening, Maguire will be here next season
We need 5 CB’s especially if the club qualifies for Europa League which has added 2 Extra League games in January. Potentially Top 7 teams next season could easily be playing 57-65 matches. We need to make a decision between Maguire and Lindelof, Johnny Evans will retire and Varane will be let go. Currently we have 6 CB’s but 4 of them are 30 or over, so we need to get rid of 3 of those 4, Maguire is the most reliable and has redeemed himself this season, no he’s not a starting CB but he’s a great 3rd or 4th choice with the physical demands of the PL.

Personally I would sign Jared Branthwaite, Loan with an obligation to buy J C Todibo and sign the Fulham lad on a free. That’s smart business if we sell Lindelof(15m), Release Varane and Johnny Evans.

Next Season we would lose £500k in wages in this area of the pitch, and put the £15m transfer value to £60m assigned for the defence, Pay £65m for Branthwaite and £10m loan fee for Todibo with obligation to Buy. Thats £75m and even sign Tosin on a free at £120k plus signing on fee would still mean you saved because Todibo and Branthwaite would be 80-120k per week. Give Willy a pay rise but also tell him he might be used as a DM in some games.

CB Options 24/25 Season
L Martinez
5’9 left footed aggressive ball playing CB - Age 25
H Maguire 6’4 Right footed, Dominant aerially and decent on the ball but slow inside areas - Age 31
J C Todibo 6’3 Right Footed, Fast, great at defending wide areas not great physically, fantastic on the ball - Age 25
Jared Branthwaite 6’5 Genuinely both footed, Aerially dominant, fast, puts his body on the line, reads the game exceptionally well and good on the ball - Age 21/22
Tosin Adarabiyo 6’5 Right footed, not that physical considering his height , good at defending wide areas, suffers with a lack of concentration not the greatest one on one, decent pass rate but can be exposed with pass accuracy- Age 26 from Manchester

Willy Kambwala 6’4 Right footed, extremely fast, right footed, physical good passing short and long and reads game well, biggest issue is lack of experience and loss of football through serious injuries but technically could play as a CDM because he reads the game well and he’s good on the ball. - Age only 19 not 20 til August.

I’ve named 6 because we will only buy/sign 2 from 3 mentioned who are currently not at our club, Bremer from Juventus is an option if Jarod Branthwaite doesn’t sign and should Chelsea need to sell watch out for Levi Colwil as a left field option?