Willy Kambwala | 2023/24 Performances

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Well he’s up now anyway. With Varane’s injury confirmed along with Evans, he will likely see out the season (if he manages to stay fit himself!). That run could include an FA Cup Final.
Very true. Hopefully the kid makes himself a hero and we take it from there. Obviously I’m only joking but I think he could have a really positive impact over these next few games and have a bigger say in what he wants to do next season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Would be very excited to see Martinez in DM role indeed, I think he is made for that position and definitely can be a good upgrade of Casemiro.
I’d be very excited to see Martinez stay fit for 15 seconds tbh

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Well he’s up now anyway. With Varane’s injury confirmed along with Evans, he will likely see out the season (if he manages to stay fit himself!). That run could include an FA Cup Final.

That's a positive development given the way this season has panned out. If he looks first-team calibre after a run of matches it could have a significant effect on our squad-building for next season. And Christ knows there's very few other positives to take out of this season.

Grande

That's a positive development given the way this season has panned out. If he looks first-team calibre after a run of matches it could have a significant effect on our squad-building for next season. And Christ knows there's very few other positives to take out of this season.
Those numbers are extreme, and are going to get even more extreme. Man United have played three times more minutes of teenager football than all of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa and Spurs put together. And Højlund isnt even in those numbers.

A-man

Those numbers are extreme, and are going to get even more extreme. Man United have played three times more minutes of teenager football than all of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa and Spurs put together. And Højlund isnt even in those numbers.
Those numbers come mainly from Garnacho and Mainoo who have 3370 minutes together. That’s two youngsters with a lot of game time this season.

Pickle85

Bless you mate but this nonsense made me irrationally angry
:lol:

I generally don't like to see top footballers shoehorned into a different position to fill a team's needs. One a one-off, sure, but not as a going forward plan. Martinez is a CB, full stop.

But back to Willy, what a tremendous talent the boy is. Whoever is responsible for the care of our young players better be equipped for the job as we've seen several of our outrageously talented young players over the years gone headsgone in one way or another -- Martial, Greenwood, Sancho and in all honesty, Rashford as well. The issue with Antony isn't so much that he went headsgone but that he was never that great of a talent to begin with.
Agreed. Love Martinez but while he's very good on the ball for a CB and sufficiently mobile I don't see him as high enough quality on either front to work long-term as a DM. Particularly in terms of covering the ground. In the odd one-off game when we're low on options, fine, but not as a first choice.

Grande

Those numbers come mainly from Garnacho and Mainoo who have 3370 minutes together. That’s two youngsters with a lot of game time this season.
Yes, and that is extreme. For all of the class of the academies of City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, not one of them has a single teenager notching up remotely similar numbers. It would have even have been much more barring Mainoos injury. And then you add Kambwala, Gore and Forson on top of that.

afatzp

Arsenal has grown their teenagers to be the core of title challenging team: Saka , Martinelli and Saliba. Hope Garnacho , Mainoo and Kambwala could replicate the path.

FootballAI

Arsenal has grown their teenagers to be the core of title challenging team: Saka , Martinelli and Saliba. Hope Garnacho , Mainoo and Kambwala could replicate the path.
Yes we should give more playtime to our youth versus playing mercenaries whenever we can. Haven't seen Amad for a while now and it worries me, seeing report he may leave this summer

AneRu

I think especially in the Prem you need to have elite athleticism in your back 4 if you want to play high up the pitch. And I'm just suggesting him as an option there, not saying he should be our stalwart first choice 6. Martinez is very versatile though and we'd be better suited using that versatility to our advantage within our squad composition
Don't get me wrong it's an idea I'd like because it would solve so many issues if it worked. Imagine spending the money we are supposed to earmark for a DM on a striker or a 20 G+A wide an?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Agreed. Love Martinez but while he's very good on the ball for a CB and sufficiently mobile I don't see him as high enough quality on either front to work long-term as a DM. Particularly in terms of covering the ground. In the odd one-off game when we're low on options, fine, but not as a first choice.
Agreed.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Redcafe: We really need defenders that are comfortable on the ball!

*United sign defender comfortable on the ball

Redcafe: [player] is really good on the ball. we should play him in midfield.

ArbeitervonWien

Why are we discussing Martinez as a DM and why are discussing it here?

A) Wasn't his story, that he was bought as a DM for Ajax but has been quite shit until he was transformed into a CB? Why would we revert that?

B) At this point, shouldn't we be more concerned IF he ever plays more than two games in a row for us rather than WHERE?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Glad you said. Of all the 'can he play as..' suggestions we've heard of on the caf, Martinez is one of the strongest and actually realistic choice to play as a DM. However, as you've alluded it would be in a team that actually wants to midfield i.e not this current suicidal nonsense.

He still wouldn't be ideal in the long term because there will always been counters and large spaces to defend but he's more than fine as a stop-gap or in a hybrid role because his qualities are too good to ignore.
Right. Basically turn Licha into a swiss army knife is my idea. Gives you more flexbility in where to target transfers as well as tactically in how we can set up in certain games because he can play 3 positions very well. He's more valuable in that role than as a first choice CB that probably isn't the ideal profile for a dominant side at that position.

Valencia Shin Crosses

As one of the main people in here stating he can play DM, just want to clarify that I do NOT want that long term. Likewise though, I don't think long term he's the solution at CB either, which is why I'd prefer signing 2 top CB's and allowing him to float in between 3 positions that he can cover adequately (especially considering both his injury history at this point as well as our questionable depth at both LB and DM)

A-man

Yes, and that is extreme. For all of the class of the academies of City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, not one of them has a single teenager notching up remotely similar numbers. It would have even have been much more barring Mainoos injury. And then you add Kambwala, Gore and Forson on top of that.
Agree it is extreme. And actually I would say it is not mainly because of the injuries, it is because of failure of the supposed first team players like Rashford and Antony, and the central midfield that gave Garnacho and Mainoo the chance, and then they took it. Maybe they got too much responsibility too fast, but in the end they have so many minutes because they are very talented. Let’s hope Kambwala also takes the chance. He had many attributes to like and imo his poor sides were decision making and sometimes his positioning was very off, these are all skills you will learn with more experience.

FootballAI

Redcafe: We really need defenders that are comfortable on the ball!

*United sign defender comfortable on the ball

Redcafe: [player] is really good on the ball. we should play him in midfield.
I guess we are disucussing an idea that won't be seen this season anyway, considering the limited number of match left and his injury.

Regardless, we still need to buy a world class DM soon, can't rely on Casemiro anymore. As for Kambwala, he needs to play more as he seems to be a very good CB to me. If he is good till the end of this season, we still need to buy another CB as Varane, Evan will likely to move on and Lindelof is not very reliable.

aeh1991

Nightmare game. Couldn't even get subbed due to lack of CBs. I hope he learns from this game..

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Poor showing all in all. I dont hold him at fault for everything as he should have had more protection from the midfield and the rest of the defence, but he should have won more of his one-on-ones.

Second half he was looking a lot better - although very nearly gave a penalty away in the dying moments.

Ultimately he is 19 and in his 2nd PL start, in a completely dysfunctional side. He should be given the benefit of the doubt and more chances as the potential is clearly there.

PoTMS

Appalling today. It's not every week he gets to play against Liverpool.

Teja

He was absolutely terrible and not just for the goals. Outmuscled by Solanke and other random Bournemouth players every five minutes.

I don't really see the potential either. There's no standout attribute to his game.

IrishMcD

Just don’t see it with him, gets his legs in a tangle far too often to play for an elite club.
I could be wrong, and it wouldn’t be the first time, but I don’t think he’s going to be anywhere near the level required to play for a team hoping to challenge for big trophies.

led_scholes

Awful today.
He is young and not even had a whole season as a regural backup. It's expected that he will have games like today.

SB16

He had a difficult first half but improved in the second. We're just also awful as a team in relieving a young centre back of constant waves of pressure. It certainly doesn't help at all.

Ekeke

Made several mistakes yes, but also made some good tackles and interceptions. Solanke is a tough opponent and won the battle by a mile but Kambwala got a few blows in too, like his tackle to set up the move for Bruno's first goal. As with the rest of our defenders he was overworked and again, made several mistakes

Edit - Also, I'll take it. Our other CBs make plenty of mistakes too at least if its from a 19 year old with 3 starts you can hope he learns from it

FerociousCorgis

Made several mistakes yes, but also made some good tackles and interceptions. Solanke is a tough opponent and won the battle by a mile but Kambwala got a few blows in too, like his tackle to set up the move for Bruno's first goal. As with the rest of our defenders he was overworked and again, made several mistakes
Exactly. Not great but wasn't really given any help on the 2 goals allowed.

Rossa

Are there stats that show how much work or sprints centre backs at various clubs need to engage in during matches? I feel our have to sprint all over the pitch.

RuudTom83

Another 90 minutes.

Great experience, only a dumbarse would criticise a kid after 2 matches.

MrBest

Another 90 minutes.

Great experience, only a dumbarse would criticise a kid after 2 matches.
Totally agree. I actually thought he had some very good moments. Some bad mistakes but in your 3rd start in your career, I expect it. Casemiro and Maguire should be protecting him but that didn't happen. They have over 1100 games compared to his 8!