Willy Kambwala

aeh1991

For a 19 year old in his debut game, not conceding and not struggling too much is a succesful first half imo.

Remember the geese

The point of unconscious bias is you are not aware it exists, so not overly surprised at your denialism.

The player has been selected for more than strength. If that was the only determining factor then Eddie Hall would be a centre half. It's a legitimate comment and well documented.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ls-racial-bias-in-english-football-commentary

https://www.varsity.co.uk/sport/20446
Oh I'm very aware of what I intended thank you very much. Perhaps your post wasn't intended to be so pathetic? Where did I state that the player was being selected purely for his strength? Another poor, poor, post by yourself.

fergies coat

Always cringe a bit when black sportspeople are described as "strong" or "athletic".

Been a lot of studies into the language used by journalists, broadcasters, scouts, etc. before and the biases based on race are astounding. White sportspeople more likely to be described as " intelligent " "creative" "technical" etc. whereas "freak" "raw" "strong" "athletic" used for their black colleagues.
Embarrassing this. Trying to provoke a race debate. How do people describe kobe Mainoo? Intelligence is probably one of the main things. Take you race agenda somewhere else.

Woodzy

Not being tested really but a game like this will do worlds of good for his confidence either way.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Not to mention the term "beast", which is clearly more used for dark-skinned players. I've always found that very awkward.
Don't know about you but i hear it banded around alot about gym guys too. Don't have to take everything so sensitively.

evil_geko

Always cringe a bit when black sportspeople are described as "strong" or "athletic".

Been a lot of studies into the language used by journalists, broadcasters, scouts, etc. before and the biases based on race are astounding. White sportspeople more likely to be described as " intelligent " "creative" "technical" etc. whereas "freak" "raw" "strong" "athletic" used for their black colleagues.
Stop.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Willy rising to the occasion

Willy standing tall

Willy pulled off at half time

United introduce Big Willy but flaccid in attack

No Dicks for West Ham but United field Big Willy

Willy shoots for the top

Willy explodes in the box

Willy uses his head

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Oh I'm very aware of what I intended thank you very much. Perhaps your post wasn't intended to be so pathetic? Where did I state that the player was being selected purely for his strength? Another poor, poor, post by yourself.
Fair enough. I merely pointed out black players are more likely to be described for physical attributes and underlying cause is unconscious racism.

Your comment may not be motivated by this but it's still legitimate debate and worth highlighting when it occurs as unconscious biases are ultimately overcome with knowledge of them.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The point of unconscious bias is you are not aware it exists, so not overly surprised at your denialism.

The player has been selected for more than strength. If that was the only determining factor then Eddie Hall would be a centre half. It's a legitimate comment and well documented.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ls-racial-bias-in-english-football-commentary

I fully understand the point you’re making and it is a sad fact of sports media in general.

However in this instance, there is literally very few reference points to assess the skill or potential impact of the player in question apart from what is obvious which is his physicality and height. I think a bit of nuance needs to be applied. Not that it matters but I say this as a person of colour.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Embarrassing this. Trying to provoke a race debate. How do people describe kobe Mainoo? Intelligence is probably one of the main things. Take you race agenda somewhere else.
It's literally supported by all data and research to date.

Yes, you can use that language without bias but the overrepresentation is attributed to unconscious bias.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

I fully understand the point you’re making and it is a sad fact of sports media in general.

However in this instance, there is literally very few reference points to assess the skill or potential impact of the player in question apart from what is obvious which is his physicality and height. I think a bit of nuance needs to be applied. Not that it matters but I say this as a person of colour.
That's true and I didn't say definitively it was racism in this instance, just it makes me uncomfortable. I'd rather we erred on the side of caution and if we do legitimately discuss physical attributes, we talk objectively about top speed, distance covered, aerial duels won, etc. It seems to be in the generalisation or labelling of players in which we find the bias.

Red00012

Willy rising to the occasion

Willy standing tall

Willy pulled off at half time

United introduce Big Willy but flaccid in attack

No Dicks for West Ham but United field Big Willy

Willy shoots for the top

Willy explodes in the box

Willy uses his head
Garnacho’s shoelaces is outdoing you on here I’m afraid

Hughes35

Car crash of a post.

Saying that describing the 6"4 19 year old cb who is clearly fast, strong and athletic as strong and athletic is now racist is pretty stupid.

Or do I need to check what heritage you are incase calling the post stupid is racist ?

Anyway - Kambwala has had a really really good debut. Looked very composed, mature and yes also strong. So let's not take away from this by other nonsense.

Charlie Foley

This is an interesting and important topic. I’m unsure however whether an individual player’s performance thread is the best place for it. Probably deserved its own thread or else go in an existing racism in football one, and I think you’ll get more productive replies/discussion that way too.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

This is an interesting and important topic. I’m unsure however whether an individual player’s performance thread is the best place for it. Probably deserved its own thread or else go in an existing racism in football one, and I think you’ll get more productive replies/discussion that way too.
I think you're right. Posting it here seems to only have triggered a few people who do not understand the concept of unconscious bias.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think they’d know if they have unconscious bias or not
Well no that is why its called unconscious. Saying that though calling a physically strong player physically strong is not unconscious bias

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He was fantastic. Very impressive

Thiagoal

He did well but West Ham were shocking and didn’t put him under pressure. As soon as the upped the tempo he struggled

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Quite decisive and packed some punch in passing. Pleasant to watch on the ball.

Chance finally given.

Pearson

It's literally supported by all data and research to date.

Yes, you can use that language without bias but the overrepresentation is attributed to unconscious bias.
I find the idea of unconscious discrimination is troubling because it is an idea that can hardly be clearly defined.

In your case, you stated that the overrepresentation is attributed to unconscious bias. Overrepsentation could be statistiscally shown right or wrong, but being bias is a value judgement. Why do you take that statement naturally right then?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Decent. Had composure and had a good debut.

Hea just unfortunate that he’s in the worst United side for decades. Hope this doesn’t dent his confidence.

PSV

Was described as physically strong yet lost all his duels. Seemed good on the ball though.

Marwood

How would you describe Kambwala? In terms of his abilties?