KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer

Previous Winners
2003 Roger Federer - Serena Williams​
2004 Roger Federer - Maria Sharapova​
2005 Roger Federer - Venus Williams​
2006 Roger Federer - Amélie Mauresmo​
2007 Roger Federer - Venus Williams​

How do you guys see this one, will Federer achieve the longest winning streak in the competitions history or will Nadal or Djokovic break it? Also can anyone see Murray having a serious impact and getting to the latter stages? The womens side of the draw seems wide open quite a few are able winners. Looking forward to this one more than most. Qualifying started today.

Dyslexic Untied

Federer and Ivanovic will win hopefully, but after watching how close Nadal came last year and how dominant he was in Roland Garros, I`m not so sure.

Don`t think Murray has any chance to be fair, but I guess he can go to latter stages depending on how good a draw he gets.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
It'd be good to witness Roger do it for a 6th time so you can do the whole "Ah yes, I remember it well!" thing in a couple of decades.

Failing that, I hope Djokovic gets his revenge on Nadal.

Brophs

The One and Only
Can't look any further than Roger, tbh. From what I've seen he is still far stronger than Nadal on grass, and I don't think Djokovic can beat him on grass over five sets. I fancy a Federer v Nadal final, with Roger winning in a long fifth set.

Justin

Djokovic maybe. Not Nadal, just a clay court bully.

Sam

I'm hoping for a Serbian double. Djokovic and Ivanovic, would be perfect.

Slevin

Why does he actually deserve it?
He's entertaining, takes it seriously, and he is Federers main and hardest opposition, it would be a shame for Nadal to never win Wimbledon, the amount he has upped his game on grass and trained is pretty good.

He turns up to alot of tournaments too, unlike some players who basically only goto the biggest tournaments.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Murray comes through fitness test

Andy Murray confirmed his fitness for Wimbledon by coming through a tough workout against Janko Tipsarevic.

Murray won the Boodles Challenge match 6-3 5-7 12/10 as he made his return to action after pulling out of the Artois Championship because of a thumb injury.

However, the British number one said the thumb had given him some pain.

"There were a few times when I mishit the ball that I felt the thumb, but I was able to play for around an hour and a half and it felt OK," he said.

"I managed to play some good tennis.

Murray, who survived match points against world number 40 Tipsarevic, gave the crowd a scare when he slipped at the back of the court and lay motionless for a moment.

But he was soon back on his feet and, smiling, said "I'm OK".

The Scot said he was relishing the chance to play at Wimbledon having missed out last year with a wrist injury.

"The lack of pressure on you, that is quite nice to play with no expectation on your shoulders," he joked.

"The support you get there is unbelievable playing on Centre Court in front of 14,000 people."
Come on Andy

Ronaldo No.9

Redcafe FIFA Champion 2010
''Ronaldo was the attacker more difficult to tackl
come on roddick...
The forgotten man...he was Federer's main challenger a few years ago. Funny how times change.

I predict another Federer and Nadal final with Nadal finally coming out on top. I was impressed with Nadal at queens and he beat some quality opponents ie: Karlovic, Roddick and Djokovic.

Murray will be his usual self, struggle in the first round, pick up an impressive win the second, then bow out in the third (Another injury)

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Federer for mens with Nadal in Final

Women - Wide open. Like French I am going to stick my neck way out and give youse an unknown. - Agnieszka Radwańska of Poland.

Ranked 32 in world and has reached third & Fourth rounds in recent years. Also former Junior winner and loves grass. With so much shit ladies tennis on offer I think she might come through.

BaldwinLegend

Women - Wide open. Like French I am going to stick my neck way out and give youse an unknown. - Agnieszka Radwańska of Poland.

Ranked 32 in world and has reached third & Fourth rounds in recent years. Also former Junior winner and loves grass. With so much shit ladies tennis on offer I think she might come through.
No way is she going to win Wimbledon.

Brophs

The One and Only
Wimbledon Seedings.

Andy Murray has been seeded 12th for Wimbledon, which gets under way at the All England Club on Monday.

Defending champion Roger Federer, seeking a sixth straight title, is unsurprisingly the top seed in the men's singles.

Serbia's Ana Ivanovic, winner of the French Open at Roland Garros and new world number one, is top seed in the women's singles.

The men's seedings are based on the current world rankings, but are slightly adjusted to take into account grass court performances in the last two years.

Murray was seeded eighth last year before withdrawing with a wrist injury.

Nadal seeded second

The 21-year-old Scot is 11th in the current world rankings but world number 25 Marcos Baghdatis and number 19 Tomas Berdych have been moved above him in the seedings with world number 10 Stanislas Wawrinka dropping down.

Cypriot Baghdatis reached the semi-finals in 2006 and was a quarter-finalist last year, while Berdych reached the quarter-finals 12 months ago and also won the grass court event at Halle.

Rafael Nadal, beaten finalist for the last two years and winner of the Artois Championships on Sunday, has been seeded second, with Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic third.

The women's seedings are directly taken from the world rankings, leaving Ivanovic as top seed followed by compatriot Jelena Jankovic, former champion Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Serena Williams is seeded sixth with sister Venus seventh.

Men's seedings

1. Roger Federer (Swi)

2. Rafael Nadal (Spa)

3. Novak Djokovic (Srb)

4. Nikolay Davydenko (Rus)

5. David Ferrer (Spa)

6. Andy Roddick (USA)

7. David Nalbandian (Arg)

8. Richard Gasquet (Fra)

9. James Blake (USA)

10. Marcos Baghdatis (Cyp)

11. Tomas Berdych (Cze)

12. Andy Murray (Gbr)

13. Stanislas Wawrinka (Swi)

14. Paul-Henri Mathieu (Fra)

15. Fernando Gonzalez (Chi)

16. Radek Stepanek (Cze)

17. Mikhail Youzhny (Rus)

18. Ivo Karlovic (Cro)

19. Nicolas Almagro (Spa)

20. Lleyton Hewitt (Aus)

21. Juan Carlos Ferrero (Spa)

22. Fernando Verdasco (Spa)

23. Tommy Robredo (Spa)

24. Jarkko Nieminen (Fin)

25. Dmitry Tursunov (Rus)

26. Ivan Ljubicic (Cro)

27. Nicolas Kiefer (Ger)

28. Gilles Simon (Fra)

29. Andreas Seppi (Ita)

30. Gael Monfils (Fra)

31. Feliciano Lopez (Spa)

32. Michael Llodra (Fra)

Women's seeds

1. Ana Ivanovic (Srb)

2. Jelena Jankovic (Srb)

3. Maria Sharapova (Rus)

4. Svetlana Kuznetsova (Rus)

5. Elena Dementieva (Rus)

6. Serena Williams (USA)

7. Venus Williams (USA)

8. Anna Chakvetadze (Rus)

9. Dinara Safina (Rus)

10. Daniela Hantuchova (Svk)

11. Marion Bartoli (Fra)

12. Patty Schnyder (Swi)

13. Vera Zvonareva (Rus)

14. Agnieszka Radwanska (Pol)

15. Agnes Szavay (Hun)

16. Victoria Azarenka (Blr)

17. Alize Cornet (Fra)

18. Nicole Vaidisova (Cze)

19. Maria Kirilenko (Rus)

20. Francesca Schiavone (Ita)

21. Nadia Petrova (Rus)

22. Flavia Pennetta (Italy)

23. Katarina Srebotnik (Slo)

24. Shahar Peer (Isr)

25. Lindsay Davenport (USA)

26. Sybille Bammer (Aut)

27. Virginie Razzano (Fra)

28. Alona Bondarenko (Ukr)

29. Amelie Mauresmo (Fra)

30. Dominika Cibulkova (Svk)

31. Caroline Wozniacki (Den)

32. Sania Mirza (Ind)
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12110_3705863,00.html

bazalini

No way is she going to win Wimbledon.
Former Junior Winner and has Form going into Tournament.

If she is still there week 2 she will be tough to beat. The Ladies tennis is shit at present and tbh anyone can win this

Brophs

The One and Only
Former Junior Winner and has Form going into Tournament.

If she is still there week 2 she will be tough to beat. The Ladies tennis is shit at present and tbh anyone can win this
True enough. Ivanovic is a very average player, and she is #1 at the moment. Even though they don't have form, one of the Williams sisters could do something here, the field is weak enough that they could win it with a few half decent performances.

Sam

True enough. Ivanovic is a very average player, and she is #1 at the moment. Even though they don't have form, one of the Williams sisters could do something here, the field is weak enough that they could win it with a few half decent performances.
I wouldn't say Ivanovic is average in the slightest.

Brophs

The One and Only
By the standards of past world #1's, she is. This isn't a player that will dominate the rankings for years to come.

Sam

By the standards of past world #1's, she is. This isn't a player that will dominate the rankings for years to come.
Maybe not yet, but you can only beat what's put infront of you. And don't forget, she only recently turned 20. She's a very young World number 1. And I think she can dominate for years to come, she has incredible potential, and as I say, she's only 20.

Brophs

The One and Only
Perhaps. But if you look at the women in the modern game, most of them don't seem to have great longevity to their careers. She is almost middle aged by the today's standards. Ivanovic is obviously a good player, but there are plenty of women on the circuit who would beat her if they were both at their best.

As you say, she can only beat what's in front of her, and the women's game at the moment is in rag order, but that doesn't mean she should get the same praise as the great players who have gone before her. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, and she'll turn out to be a belter of a player, but a couple of years into her career, and she still looks eminently beatable every time I see her. The relative weakness of the women's game is IMHO the only thing elevating her from solid top-ten player, to world#1.

Sam

Perhaps. But if you look at the women in the modern game, most of them don't seem to have great longevity to their careers. She is almost middle aged by the today's standards. Ivanovic is obviously a good player, but there are plenty of women on the circuit who would beat her if they were both at their best.

As you say, she can only beat what's in front of her, and the women's game at the moment is in rag order, but that doesn't mean she should get the same praise as the great players who have gone before her. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, and she'll turn out to be a belter of a player, but a couple of years into her career, and she still looks eminently beatable every time I see her. The relative weakness of the women's game is IMHO the only thing elevating her from solid top-ten player, to world#1.
I can totally see what you're saying. But, she isn't getting the praise that great players who have gone before her have got, well, not yet anyway. So I don't really see the problem.

She's beaten everything that's put in front of her, and just won her first Grand Slam, which puts her at the top of the game. You can argue that if there were better players around, then she wouldn't be No#1, but it's a non argument, because there isn't, and that's not her fault. Who's to say that if the standard was better, she wouldn't raise her game?

Brophs

The One and Only
I can totally see what you're saying. But, she isn't getting the praise that great players who have gone before her have got, well, not yet anyway. So I don't really see the problem.

She's beaten everything that's put in front of her, and just won her first Grand Slam, which puts her at the top of the game. You can argue that if there were better players around, then she wouldn't be No#1, but it's a non argument, because there isn't, and that's not her fault. Who's to say that if the standard was better, she wouldn't raise her game?
Fair points.

surf

Wimbledon doesn't follow the world rankings exactly for seedings, but nowadays seeds are put in groups
1-2
3-4
5-8
9-16
17-32
and then randomly assigned within groups to certain pre-determined places in the draw, except that 1 is at the top and 2 is at the bottom.
So unless the seeding puts a player in a different grouping from their world ranking, it makes no difference. Wimbledon seedings used to be more controversial, but it doesn't seem to provoke the same ire with the current system.

Ana is still making her way as #1. There are no outstanding women players right now, not even to the extent that Henin, S Williams and Hingis had a run of winning several majors over a short period - plenty of eastern European talent, but no-one dominating.

bazalini

In terms of tennis, she is no Graf, Hingis, Martina, Henin even the williams sisters. Players like herself, Sharipova, Jankovic, Kuznetsova are hopeless at serving out games.

If any of the Williams sisters put abit of training in they would wipe the floor with them