Win Europa, No Top 4: Will Ole still be in charge next season if this happens?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In that case, I agree 100%. I think there is now a lot of talent and depth in our squad, more than the Ole In posters would have you believe. I think the right manager would have us excited by our football, our team would visibly look well drilled and make the most of their talent, we'd compete for trophies and, as a result, we'd all be a bit more positive.
The Ole in posters will have you believe that this squad is lacking in enough talent which is why Ole is struggling and yet will argue in another thread that the squad having so many talents is proof of Ole's project succeeding and why he should stay on and gets a chance to complete it.

Greck

My guess is that any scenario where we secure CL football for next season, will see him stay.
With so many quality replacements available between now and next summer I honestly don't think it'll be that straightforward if end of season comes and confidence in Ole is really low. Reports that say the board backs Ole say they think he can mount a title challenge so it's not just top 4 they seem to be monitoring. We'll see but I'd be surprised if we start 21/22 with Ole as our manager if he makes top 4 but bottles every cup from now to June. As it stands the rebuild is getting really expensive and Ole's trophy returns are looking like bad value for our buck. Some Ole backers seem to think the board are ready to give him a blank cheque in exchange for scraping minimum requirements

Smores

I still remember when we had loads of posters arguing 2nd place to a ridiculous City wasn't enough :lol:

The owners will be happy as long as we get CL money. As fans i don't think a regression despite squad improvements can be tolerated really, last season it would have been enough but not this season.

Matthew84!

Definitely, if we win the europa league the players will get that winning feeling which will hopefully help them progress, champions league 2 years in a row isn't like us since fergie left,

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I know many will disagree but for me the league is the most important competition even when including the Champions League.

But if he wins the EL he stays for sure, I'm convinced the minimum requirement for keeping the job is qualifying for the CL.
And if we finished 8th and won the EL playing trash football? Surely there has to be a cut off point winning the EL and not finishing top 4?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The Ole in posters will have you believe that this squad is lacking in enough talent which is why Ole is struggling and yet will argue in another thread that the squad having so many talents is proof of Ole's project succeeding and why he should stay on and gets a chance to complete it.
:lol: That's true.

I saw one poster going crazy in a thread talking about how they're not ruling out a title challenge this season and how we've had most points since last December etc. Then in the thread about how far off we are from challenging, they were more or less playing it down. Mental gymnastics at its finest.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If you drop out at group stage though, then you still miss out on a lot of money.

Plus I'm sure they'd hope that somebody could get even more from the investment we've made in players. No good spending £100m+ and being happy to maybe get your money back in competition prize money, when somebody else might go further and win things, earn more in the latter stages of CL and boost our standing in world football once again. Unless Ole really turns it around then there will always be this question in their heads about what if X manager could do better.
If Ole makes the Champions League this season, he will go into next season with one year left on his deal. I am sure that, if they want to replace him, the Glazers would prefer not having to pay out another coach's remaining contract.

Also the book value of the contracts you are talking about makes United appear more valuable. If the Glazers really cared about the performance of those players they'd never have let many get new, inflated contracts. I don't believe they are remotely interested in 'getting more' from our playing staff.

Champions League and it's implications for sponsorship etc is their core concern.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

I saw one poster going crazy in a thread talking about how they're not ruling out a title challenge this season and how we've had most points since last December etc. Then in the thread about how far off we are from challenging, they were more or less playing it down. Mental gymnastics at its finest.
When all else fails, they'll pull out the top red card and say how anyone who wants Ole out is not a real fan.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If Ole makes the Champions League this season, he will go into next season with one year left on his deal. I am sure that, if they want to replace him, the Glazers would prefer not having to pay out another coach's remaining contract.

Also the book value of the contracts you are talking about makes United appear more valuable. If the Glazers really cared about the performance of those players they'd never have let many get new, inflated contracts. I don't believe they are remotely interested in 'getting more' from our playing staff.

Champions League and it's implications for sponsorship etc is their core concern.
Could actually see that. Now if we have another year Poch might be out of the running, but there could be other options available if needed. See how Southampton and RB Leipzig progress. The likes of Tuchel might be available.

RedDevilRoshi

Of course he will keep it if we fail to finish in the top 4 but win the EL. Plus winning the EL, you enter as one of the top seeds in pot 1 for the CL group stage draw.

Asger

With our average squad top 4 would a very good achievement!

Greck

Ole is the same. Talks so much about progress but wants to run away from the kind of expectation that naturally comes with it. Somehow the only manager whose failures are judged against his own past underperformances. What kind of United manager talks about beating colchester and astana when asked about a group stage exit.

Devil may care

As long as we qualify for the CL then Ole will keep his job, the route we qualify is irrelevant.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
No I don't think winning the Europa League should buy him more time. Progress would acually be getting closer to winning the major trophies that matter to us. The PL and CL. CL is gone this season though. Yes winning the Europa League grants us CL football, but our CL campaigns have been abysmal for 7 seasons now. I just want to to go as far in the league as possible.

laughtersassassin

He shouldn't be. Winning a competition that we where thrown into due to his failings should not reward him with more time.

In truth he probably shouldn't be here for much longer but with our club.....

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
EL? fecking tin pot, you win = it's a joke. Rather field kids and get eliminated early.
Surely, Ole and the board will not approach the EL with this mindset. I think it is important to win European trophies. Also, as another person posted on here, winning the EL puts us in the top bucket in CL draw, so obviously it has some worth.

wolvored

If he finishes 5/6th 2-3 points off 4th and wins EL he will get a one year extension I would think. However if we were 7th or lower and a big points total off 4th they may look at it differently as it would show we ain't really improving and the cup win wouldn't happen every season to bail ole out

OleBoiii

I'm Ole in, but I find it funny that us going out of the CL group actually has increased the chance of Ole keeping his job :lol:

GlasgowCeltic

Would be a massive lift for Maguire in particular to lift a trophy as captain, had no idea he’d suffered so many relegations in his career

pocco

loco

Solskjaer, I imagine, would be considerably cheaper to sack with a season left, as opposed to giving out these new contracts that they don't care about. So I don't think monetary reasoning will affect their decision if they have been so carefree with paying underperforming players.

pocco

loco
Ole is the same. Talks so much about progress but wants to run away from the kind of expectation that naturally comes with it. Somehow the only manager whose failures are judged against his own past underperformances. What kind of United manager talks about beating colchester and astana when asked about a group stage exit.
This actually happened? I've not read anything from Ole or the media this week.

Idxomer

Never gonna happen, will always throw away the kind of games that win you trophies under Ole.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’ll be in the job til CL qualification is mathematically impossible. So no, if we win the Europa he’ll keep his job.

Moyes was sacked when it was impossible, Van Gaal too, they just waited for the cup final. Jose was let go early because he kept highlighting our boards incompetence in public & wanted to sell players Woodward wanted to keep. Ole don’t act like that.

If we finish 6th & lose the EL final he may get sacked.

pocco

loco
He’ll be in the job til CL qualification is mathematically impossible. So no, if we win the Europa he’ll keep his job.

Moyes was sacked when it was impossible, Van Gaal too, they just waited for the cup final. Jose was let go early because he kept highlighting our boards incompetence in public & wanted to sell players Woodward wanted to keep. Ole don’t act like that.

If we finish 6th & lose the EL final he may get sacked.
If we finish 6th, to do anything but sack him would be sheer incompetence and possibly Woodward worst decision.

OleBoiii

You reckon we're going to win the Europa cup?
My point is that if we fail to get top 4, then there are only 2 other routes to the CL next year: win the CL or win the EL.

Which of the two do we have a higher chance of winning? Obviously the latter. Thus us getting 3rd in our group has, ironically for the ones who want Ole out already now, increased his overall chance of staying in the job.

Jersey Heel

I bet we don’t win Europa nor finish top 4.....and he still keeps his job.

Greck

My point is that if we fail to get top 4, then there are only 2 other routes to the CL next year: win the CL or win the EL.

Which of the two do we have a higher chance of winning? Obviously the latter. Thus us getting 3rd in our group has, ironically for the ones who want Ole out already now, increased his overall chance of staying in the job.
Am personally not under the assumption that CL qualification will be all it takes for him to be retained into the 21/22 season but we'll see what happens.

FrenchToastMafia

Supports
Celtic
It would be a very odd scenario where a manager who wins a European trophy is sacked in the month or so following it. Does a Europa League win still guarantee CL football the following season? If so, that's surely better than a top 4 finish in the league.

MattofManchester

If we don't get top 4 this season, that should be seen as failure. The race is very open, and a failure to capitalize with the players we have, should be seen as not good enough.

macheda14

I don't know. He's probably been set a target in the league regardless of winning the EL. Jose won the EL and League cup, but then improved our league position the following year. Anything lower than 3rd is us going backwards, lower than 4th is a failure.

The Urban Goose

Difficult one. One of Klopp, Pep, Jose, Lampard and Ole will miss out, should whoever finishes 5th be sacked?

Polar

Yes, definitely.. Don’t think we have to win “Europe”. Nr.4 in the league is enough.

cheeky_backheel

Top 4 this season seems a tough task, as we would have to finish above Liverpool, City, Spurs and Chelsea. Domt see us being consistent enough to pull it off.

In Europa league, we would likely have to pass through one or more of Spurs, Arsenal, Leverkusen, Milan, Napoli, Roma, Villareal, and, any other dark horse that pops up. Still, with favorable draws, it is more within reach

The real question is if we miss out on both (no CL next season), will ole still keep his job?

OleBoiii

The real question is if we miss out on both (no CL next season), will ole still keep his job?
He almost definitely wont. And he shouldn't.

If we break 75 points or something, then I can maybe see an argument for keeping him. But I think it's good that we draw the line somewhere. CL football should be the minimum requirement. League position ultimately matters more than points, imo.