Winston Churchill

villain

Hates Beyoncé
:eek: Why on earth would they get you to do that?!? To what end?
To promote the idea of how hard working they were, great workers - built for such tasks etc. Therefore there's no guilt or admission of wrongdoing.
Nothing was explained, even the concept of the auction was spun in a positive way - no mention of how they got there in the first place either.

My 11 year old brain was obviously too ignorant to understand or even question any of this at the time, but I doubt my teacher knew much about it either, even if I did have questions & concerns.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Are you sure?

I am not the only one getting a bit defensive to posts like these, from the second and fourth most active posters in this thread:
Are you sure @11101 because I'm certain that I've pointed out that these are the debating skills of primary school children and not to be frustrated at or with.

I'm sure they didn't intend to call me a racist because if I'd shown any racist tendencies I'd have been banned by now from the forum because they are not welcome here usually and quite rightly if found expressing such opinions.

Nothing to see here, move along sir.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
To promote the idea of how hard working they were, great workers - built for such tasks etc. Therefore there's no guilt or admission of wrongdoing.
Nothing was explained, even the concept of the auction was spun in a positive way - no mention of how they got there in the first place either.
I am actually stunned by that. Lost for words.

MrPooni

Are you sure?

I am not the only one getting a bit defensive to posts like these, from the second and fourth most active posters in this thread:
Defensive? I'm still on lockdown so I haven't had this much fun in days. No lubrication and clean up required either, unless you count the Gammon tears I'm currently bathing in.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Says it all doesn't it? I think the Daily Mail said the fella doing the cleaning is even called Winston as well didn't they? Don't think they called for a pay rise for him though funnily enough...

Infra-red

Quality tweet.

Also. Absolute state of those Tory goons and their power stances.
You can absolutely guarantee that they'd shit a brick and run away if a couple of determined looking people with spray cans showed up. There's probably an army of police, just outside of that shot.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Are you sure?

Sincere apologies to you that I pricked your ego by pointing out that Tommy Robinson is a racist, just like Winston Churchill, and that those pricked by such a statement should consider why they have those injured feelings.

Please start a counselling costs gofundme page for those egos pricked by this statement and I’ll gladly donate for psychologically injuring such verily abused souls.

Last edited:

Smores

That's more than a little disingenious. The almost sole reason why there is so much resentment for Japan across Asia is because of their refusal to admit what they did during WW2. Some people have independently apologised but the government still won't admit responsibility and that includes the Prime Minister.

It's not like the UK refuses to admit we did anything wrong either. The government has publicly apologised. I'm not sure what people actually expect them to do.
Not true, like at all.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm sorry, what??
Yes, but I actually worded it incorrectly the tax payers weren't paying the families of slave owners, but rather paying the government - it was the government who paid the slave owners directly.
When Slavery was abolished in the UK, (only done because it was no longer as profitable) the families of slave owners were given compensation depending on how many slaves they owned. The UK Government then ensured that this debt was paid for by tax-payers for over 180 years, ending in 2015.
Some were paid £3m, others £17m, the super wealthy over £30m or more.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ven-huge-payouts-after-abolition-8508358.html

Nothing was paid to the slaves of course, just their 'freedom'.

I would love to delve into the family descendants who received such fortunes & how that money has continued to circulate in their family to this day.

Honest John

Churchill is the icon of Britain's greatest achievement to many. Attacking Churchill represents an attack on the country itself and thus an attack on those who have British greatness as core values.

The left (and i count myself in this group) often lose the argument because they don't get British exceptionalism therefore they miss that people take it personally when you seemingly attack the country. Bringing Churchill into the argument is a massive own goal. It's just not worth it.
I agree with this. The protesters, having built up some decent momentum, will shoot themselves in the foot if they continue on that path.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Its a calculated false equivalence. Ghandi may have held unethical and racist opinions but those never led to millions of innocents getting brutally murdered.

Regardless, Ghandi doesn't need Britain to vouch for his greatness, so pull him down if needs must.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Its a calculated false equivalence. Ghandi may have held opinions but those never led to innocents getting brutally murdered.

Regardless, Ghandi doesn't need Britain to vouch for his greatness, so pull him down if needs must.
He supported Apartheid in South Africa, and was horribly racist to black Africans.

And that's before we get on to his peadophilic tendencies and hypocrisy when it came to western medicine.

rotherham_red

Personally, while I'm loving all these statues being torn down, I do hope the structures that ensure this inequality can be torn down also.

Otherwise, it's just a totem.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He supported Apartheid in South Africa, and was horribly racist to black Africans.

And that's before we get on to his peadophilic tendencies and hypocrisy when it came to western medicine.
Ill repeat myself. As I said, a false equivalence to Churchill and his ilk. But take him if you must.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Personally, while I'm loving all these statues being torn down, I do hope the structures that ensure this inequality can be torn down also.

Otherwise, it's just a totem.
Farage is getting hammered on LBC as we speak.
An entire generation at Oxford University whom will become future leaders passionately engaged right now.

Millions of Brits are going through a re education. #Wokeistan

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Ill repeat myself. As I said, a false equivalence to Churchill and his ilk. But take him if you must.
Don't think it was ever a flase equivalence, moreso a statement of an opinion...

Was Gandhi a racist? In my eyes, and the eyes of the person who sprayed the word, yes. Hence why he sprayed the word.

Where does Churchill factor in to that? Churchill wasn't even mentioned in the tweet, or in @2cents post, so no, it's not a false equivalence.

EDIT - re-read the tweet. Never mind.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Don't think it was ever a flase equivalence, moreso a statement of an opinion...

Was Gandhi a racist? In my eyes, and the eyes of the person who sprayed the word, yes. Hence why he sprayed the word.

Where does Churchill factor in to that? Churchill wasn't even mentioned in the tweet, or in @2cents post, so no, it's not a false equivalence.
i think its a false equivalence. We can disagree.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Hadn't heard any of this before. Pretty grim stuff.

Classical Mechanic

I was wrong.

In fact it will be tens of millions of Britain’s whom will be re-educated on how some of their previously iconic citizens will be perceived in the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eview-of-all-london-statues-for-slavery-links

To be fair the vast majority of people don't know who the people the statues represent are. I'd never heard of Colston before the weekend.

This seems ridiculous though

Manchester city council is under pressure to remove a statue of Sir Robert Peel in Piccadilly Gardens. Over a thousand people have signed a petition demanding the removal of the memorial to the two-time British Prime Minister, born in Bury in Greater Manchester, on the grounds that his father was known to be pro-slavery.

I'd never heard of him either admittedly.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To be fair the vast majority of people don't know who the people the statues represent are. I'd never heard of Colston before the weekend.

This seems ridiculous though

Manchester city council is under pressure to remove a statue of Sir Robert Peel in Piccadilly Gardens. Over a thousand people have signed a petition demanding the removal of the memorial to the two-time British Prime Minister, born in Bury in Greater Manchester, on the grounds that his father was known to be pro-slavery.

I'd never heard of him either admittedly.
That is the point I'm making. The Colston and Churchill incident has lit a fuse, way beyond just people of colour.

Im responding to @oates, who was mocking me on the scale of this fuse. It's playing out just as I stated it would, and in a very positive way. The only people whom will feel marginalised by this is those who revelled in the feelings of Rule Brittannia and the power of the empire.

Britain no longer has an empire, nor does it stand for white greatness. Britain is a multi racial, multi religion nation based on equality and democracy. And so it shouldn't publicly glorify people from the past which do not reflect its current beliefs. If needs must, put the statues in a museum of disgrace where we can all visit and be encouraged to throw rotten cabbage at.

Last edited:

SuperiorXI

Hadn't heard any of this before. Pretty grim stuff.
Same. It would be good to have a source or sources to educate myself on the actual history. As others have said, history is largely written by the victor so it can be hard to understand what actually happened.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Same. It would be good to have a source or sources to educate myself on the actual history. As others have said, history is largely written by the victor so it can be hard to understand what actually happened.
Literally loads of well researched documentary has been published, small sample below.

Ghandi certainly held some racist opinions regrading blacks in South Africa. I would ask you one thing particular: what actions against other people did those beliefs lead to. Would love to know what you think once you've done your reading.

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/co...usly-on-and-off-the-field/article31790453.ece
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/02/7660...ce-and-sex-are-under-scrutiny?t=1591726828527
https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/Was-Gandhi-a-racist/article16754773.ece
https://www.theweek.co.uk/98519/was-gandhi-racist
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005ZO8J0O/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Last edited: