Winston Churchill

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
To be fair the vast majority of people don't know who the people the statues represent are. I'd never heard of Colston before the weekend.

This seems ridiculous though

Manchester city council is under pressure to remove a statue of Sir Robert Peel in Piccadilly Gardens. Over a thousand people have signed a petition demanding the removal of the memorial to the two-time British Prime Minister, born in Bury in Greater Manchester, on the grounds that his father was known to be pro-slavery.

I'd never heard of him either admittedly.
Not heard of Robert Peel? He virtually founded the police service in Britain - hence police used to be know as "peelers" and are still known as "bobbies".

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not heard of Robert Peel? He virtually founded the police service in Britain - hence police used to be know as "peelers" and are still known as "bobbies".
I learnt that in school. They didn’t tell he was racist (if that’s what’s being said if people want his statue down)

edit: better clarify myself, by ‘being said’ I mean I’ve never heard of it or bothered looking myself

Classical Mechanic

I hadn’t :nervous:

I learnt that in school. They didn’t tell he was racist (if that’s what’s being said if people want his statue down)

edit: better clarify myself, by ‘being said’ I mean I’ve never heard of it or bothered looking myself
It seems there’s a small petition to bring it down because his dad was racist.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Slave trade? What about acknowledging that wealth came after looting Colonial countries for centuries? Maybe that acknowledgement will come when marches start for that.

RUCK4444

A man moulded by war and of a very different era. He believed every man, from any race, should know his place in life and above all their duty. Retrospectively that makes him look like a tyrant.

Exactly what we needed to face the Germans and didn’t seek the easy way out through peace talks with the Antichrist that was Hitler.

Capable of the despicable but had more character and balls than all the PM’s that have followed combined.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He supported Apartheid in South Africa, and was horribly racist to black Africans.

And that's before we get on to his peadophilic tendencies and hypocrisy when it came to western medicine.
He also loves nukes in the Civilization series.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It would be fantastic and honestly quite surreal to see Britain become self-aware of its own past. Britain would be so much better for it.

Tearing the right statues down is a step in that direction. Really needs to start with that history curriculum though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
A man moulded by war and of a very different era. He believed every man, from any race, should know his place in life and above all their duty. Retrospectively that makes him look like a tyrant.

Exactly what we needed to face the Germans and didn’t seek the easy way out through peace talks with the Antichrist that was Hitler.

Capable of the despicable but had more character and balls than all the PM’s that have followed combined.
1st Amendment which should also always immediately follow:

And he was a white suprematist, racist and killed millions by starvation and other means through his foreign policy.
(note only facts and no hyperbole)

So long as that is put into the official history book of remembering and sparked about hereafter, I passionately agree.

RUCK4444

1st Amendment which should also always immediately follow:

And he was a white suprematist, racist and killed millions by starvation and other means through his foreign policy.
(note only facts and no hyperbole)

So long as that is put into the official history book of remembering and sparked about hereafter, I passionately agree.
Hey, I’m not sure what you are or aren’t agreeing with?

What foreign policy are you referring to in particular?

Camilo

I think there's an awful lot of sillyness going on right now, mostly with good intentions, but mostly completely on the wrong path. Everyone in the past is a cnut when viewed with modern eyes. We'll be cnuts too in a few short years. We just have to do our best now surely?!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think there's an awful lot of sillyness going on right now, mostly with good intentions, but mostly completely on the wrong path. Everyone in the past is a cnut when viewed with modern eyes. We'll be cnuts too in a few short years. We just have to do our best now surely?!
No. Not everyone in the past is a c.

I’d argue that what is happening is a tiny step forward and I just hope the momentum is kept.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Next time any white male is tempted to tell another non white British person "If you don't like it here, leave" here's a heads up on what you'll look like.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Literally loads of well researched documentary has been published, small sample below.

Ghandi certainly held some racist opinions regrading blacks in South Africa. I would ask you one thing particular: what actions against other people did those beliefs lead to. Would love to know what you think once you've done your reading.

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/co...usly-on-and-off-the-field/article31790453.ece
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/02/7660...ce-and-sex-are-under-scrutiny?t=1591726828527
https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/Was-Gandhi-a-racist/article16754773.ece
https://www.theweek.co.uk/98519/was-gandhi-racist
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005ZO8J0O/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/01/gandhi-celibacy-test-naked-women

That's deeply disturbing.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Next time any white male is tempted to tell another non white British person "If you don't like it here, leave" here's a heads up on what you'll look like.

“British Values” is a phrase often spoken in support of the above comment.

The irony of someone defending their racism by saying it isn’t lost on me.

Gibb11

we laugh but sometime the future generations will look back on us with anger and disbelief and shame us, I think too there was a black mirror episode about this

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He supported Apartheid in South Africa, and was horribly racist to black Africans.

And that's before we get on to his peadophilic tendencies and hypocrisy when it came to western medicine.
Agree.

He's another person who is put on a pedestal with the nasty things about him swept under the carpet.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Agree.

He's another person who is put on a pedestal with the nasty things about him swept under the carpet.
The present day sentiment in the general populace of India is very much anti-Gandhi, but for all the wrong reasons. He had a dark side to him that most people don't know or care to know about, but my thoughts on the matter are the exact same as for Churchill.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

"If you don't like it, leave it! By the way, we made it far more difficult for you to move to 20 odd of our nearest neighbours"

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There was a debate bout Gandhi's racism a few years ago because of Arundhati Roy writing something. Whatever I read said that he said many racist things about native South Africans but then seems to have backtracked in the 1920s. Ambedkar, a Dalit leader, was also very critical of his writing and thinking on caste. And what you linked is extremely weird, but something he wrote about on his own.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I got a FB post from someone about Douglas Bader. Usual tripe about being a war hero and a true Brit. So I read his wiki and found out he's not someone who'd be popular today.

Never a person to hide his opinions, Bader also became controversial for his political interventions. A staunch conservative with traditional Victorian values, his trenchantly expressed views on such subjects as juvenile delinquency, capital punishment, apartheid and Rhodesia's defiance of the Commonwealth (he was a strong supporter of Ian Smith's white minority regime) attracted much criticism.[152] During the Suez Crisis, Bader travelled to New Zealand. Some of the more recent African Commonwealth countries had been critical of British military intervention; he replied that they could "bloody well climb back up their trees"

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Churchill was the leader we needed at the time and I suspect the only one that could have held the war effort together until the US entered the war. My admiration for that doesn't mean I can't think many other aspects of his life were despicable. Doubly so by modern standards.

These things aren't always easy to reconcile and I don't have an easy answer, but I suspect looking for easy answers is part of the problem.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Middle aged, upper/middle class white bloke essentially saying to a black woman's face "Love it (as is) or leave". Shameful.

MrPooni

Its a calculated false equivalence. Ghandi may have held unethical and racist opinions but those never led to millions of innocents getting brutally murdered.

Regardless, Ghandi doesn't need Britain to vouch for his greatness, so pull him down if needs must.
Gandhi was a nonce. feck Gandhi.

MrPooni

Seems like tearing these statues down has been way more educational for a lot of people than keeping them up.

MrPooni

Middle aged, upper/middle class white bloke essentially saying to a black woman's face "Love it (as is) or leave". Shameful.
Reads a lot like the RedCafe general forum at the moment.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I also thought the way she dealt with such disgusting hostility was equally telling.

You could see she was quite shokced but also didn’t bite into his rage baiting, and instead ridiculed him with poise and intellect.

He needs he be fired by sky/lbc as many are now demanding.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Interesting thread but it begs the questions: exactly how responsible are we for the actions of our ancestors? And is that a fair stick to beat people with?

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Interesting thread but it begs the questions: exactly how responsible are we for the actions of our ancestors? And is that a fair stick to beat people with?
Within the first two decades of the 17th century, the East India Company was the wealthiest commercial operation in the world with 50,000 employees worldwide and a private fleet of 200 ships. The vast displacement of blacks from Africa into the West and Indians displaced across Asia and Africa to perform physically intensive slave labour were acts by the white British establishment.

Slaves traders and East India Company employees (Eg Colston, Milligan, Rhodes, Courteen, Lancaster, Roe, Hastings ... there are 1000s of them from literally every village and town across England) garnered heinous levels of wealth, way in excess of what their family required. Upon death, they bequeathed some of these funds to whitewash their legacy through public charitable donations, or left as inheritance to continue white supremacy in subsequent bloodline generations. I'm not aware of many donations or inheritance that went to the countries or communities they looted or enslaved.

These funds (including from the Opium business) were also used to fuel the Industrial Revolution, but again using stolen natural resources from colonised lands and racist economic policy (eg forcing Indians to buy inferior and more expensive cotton made in northern English towns) to solely advance the British population.

As generations passed, so the white UK population advanced with better schooling and health services. An interesting anecdote I was once explained was to note that UK villages (eg Cotswolds but their are many) are now gentile, wealthy with huge stately homes, churches and public services. And yet in India or Africa, villages are places of backwardness and poverty. Why is that?

In my opinion, it's because even the lowest clerks and employees of East India Company, who came from what were poor English villages at the time, managed to earn enormous wealth in their lifetime, and invested that into their home and community. There are many evidences of poorer uneducated East India Company employees who couldn't believe their eyes at just how relatively wealthy even rural Indians were.

Though it's almost certainly been proven that Lord Macaulay didn't say the following, the sentiment is accurate and describes what ended up happening:
"I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

As 21st Century Brits, we enjoy many of our privileges versus other nations based on gains from slavery and looting during the empire era.

Last edited:

I have changed my mind over the years on the statue question - and possibly Redcafe has contributed to that. I used to think the past should be left to the past, but now i don't see the point in keeping monuments to people whose legacy was built chiefly on questionable actions. I still don't agree with destroying them, that's the definition of whitewashing history, but put them in a museum somewhere rather than celebrating them on a plinth.

At the same time, people whose legacy is built on something else should be remembered primarily for that thing, and monuments to what they did left alone accordingly. Churchill is such a person. Discuss all sides of what he did by all means, but i will never agree that we should attempt to diminish the main reason he is remembered. If we take that approach we would have no statues left.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Instead of removing the statues why not paint them rainbow colours or something so that whenever people look up and see they will know that this was a slave trader and now he's being painted as that and we want it known that what he did is not acceptable anymore.

I'll bet most of the people who walked past Colston had no clue who he was or cared to know.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Instead of removing the statues why not paint them rainbow colours or something so that whenever people look up and see they will know that this was a slave trader and now he's being painted as that and we want it known that what he did is not acceptable anymore.

I'll bet most of the people who walked past Colston had no clue who he was or cared to know.
I'd rather see something like that with a plaque giving a history of each person - that way we can educate people about the history of the British Empire. I think that would be much more beneficial than tearing down statues and trying to erase bits of history we don't like - the country needs to own it's history and make people more aware of it all the good and the bad - British Empire is mostly bad but we shouldn't deny that it happened.