Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

mexos

Academy player
Congratulations Ruben, your thread reached second page.

If any Norwegians was caught in the doping thingy than my view on winter olympics are severely changed.

Dyslexic Untied

Thank you mexos. Doubt there will be any Norwegians, but would be crushed if there were.¨

Apparently no Russians either is what's being reported on the Noggie sites.

Nucks

RT History Department
Its on like 8 channels you know, as for only having the US on, certainly that is a good thing for the summer games as they win the most medals by far in the actual sports. I do think the coverage sucked for Beijing as it was delayed not only for primetime on the east coast but also the west coast, so the shit that they were showing happened 16 hours before.
Americans win enough medals that if they just covered competitions for the duration rather than jumping around you would still see Americans winning medals.

The problem is they just jump around its hard to get into say badminton when you get to see half a match before they jump over to lawn bowling for 5 minutes and then skeet shooting, then back to Badminton, then over to archery, then back to lawn bowling.

It fecking sucks ;p

Werewolf

For those of you who don't have access to complete coverage (like me), there is always the solution of streaming which you should not, under any circumstances, use !

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Think there are 2 skiers in with a chance of making the Downhill and they are Dixon and Guay..

No surprise to see Culche make the time in first practice, but these 2 are up there and will carry the Canadian hopes. With snow forecast - Its not looking like they'll set more practice - so with Guay and Dison knowing the course - I fancy them to make top 3/4

mexos

Academy player
And it's (kinda) begun! Ski-jumping qualifiers on now.

mexos

Academy player
It wasn't ironic, I really didn't know.

It's over now. When is the qualifier?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Living in the US for the past 6 years, I haven't been able to enjoy the olympics at all. The coverage is horrific. It jumps around and only covers events so long as an American is involved. There is no continuity. This probably explains why virtually every American I've ever met or heard of that can get the CBC, watches their coverage.
Yes, it's fecking infuriating.

Dyslexic Untied

Luge competitor critically wounded during exercise.

Winter Olympics - Horror luge crash rocks Olympics - Yahoo! Eurosport

Georgian luge competitor Nodar Kumaritashvili was given emergency resuscitation treatment after a horrifying crash in training for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

More StoriesWatch 24/7 on the Eurosport Player
Follow the Games with us on Twitter
BET now on the Winter Olympics
He was thrown off the sled as it bounced over the rim of the track at the Whistler Sliding Centre at around 90mph, according to observers.

He was unconscious, a Reuters reporter said.

Kumaritashvili was later taken away in an ambulance after medics had rushed to the scene to give him treatment.

The incident happened hours before the Winter Games officially open in Vancouver later on Friday.

Training was immediately suspended.

The 21-year-old was not considered a medal prospect. The accident happened on the 16th and final bend which was already gaining a notorious reputation for its speed.

The Whistler Sliding Centre is regarded as the fastest in the world and earlier on Friday several of the competitors had crashed in training.

That included gold medal favourite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy and on Thursday a Romanian woman competitor was briefly knocked unconscious.

Dyslexic Untied

Seeing that clip, there really was no way he could have survived.

Worst possible start to this Olympics.

First the doping, and now much much worse the death of a 21 year old athlete.

Dyslexic Untied

Been a lot of accidents there already. None as serious, but several riders falling off.

I know nothing about Luge but apparently this is the fastest track ever?

And from that video it doesn't look properly secured. In other speed sports, like fex downhill you'll have posts or other dangerous elements padded.

Perhaps the life of this kid could have been saved if the concrete pillars were padded?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
That course looks mental! I know nothing about lugeing but on what fecking planet is it a good idea to have them metal beams right after the fastest turn on the fastest course in the history of the sport?

RIP, dude.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Bloody hell - How the feck did he manage to get himself in that position....

He travels with his feet forward. I just saw the crash and from what I saw he hit the barrier to his left then hit the wall to his right. Sympathies with his family. May God rest him.

Alex

Who knows, sports like that and Skeleton are bound to be dangerous whatever course they are, shame this will these Olympics a black eye from Day 0

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Its on like 8 channels you know, as for only having the US on, certainly that is a good thing for the summer games as they win the most medals by far in the actual sports. I do think the coverage sucked for Beijing as it was delayed not only for primetime on the east coast but also the west coast, so the shit that they were showing happened 16 hours before.
I think it's delayed this time around as well. Despite the fact that the action takes place in the same time zone as the west coast, NBC still insists on delaying the broadcast for three hours and showing it live to the east coast, but not live to the people in the same time zone as the action.

Consider this: Seattle is roughly two and a half hours of driving away from Vancouver. If you lived in Seattle and found out an event was happening live, you could drive to Vancouver and find out what happened faster than it would take for NBC to deliver the action to you on television.

Also they've reduced their online offerings to only Hockey and I forget the other sport. Great for fans of those sports, but shouldn't the online content be for the stuff that people wouldn't care to watch on tv? It seems like the natural place to put the things that only thousands of people around the world care about rather than forcing it down the throats of millions watching on tv or completely neglecting it altogether.

NBC has to be the dumbest sports network on the planet. The same company that at one point had the rights to the three most watched sports in the US and somehow lost them because they didn't want to bid high enough drastically overbid for these Olympics only to give it half-ass coverage. feck them.

Alex

I know wtf, it is so ridiculous, the TV on the west coast sucks as for this reason, Colorado had such better tv times as they were in sync with the east coast just everything was on earlier.

Alex

I think it's delayed this time around as well. Despite the fact that the action takes place in the same time zone as the west coast, NBC still insists on delaying the broadcast for three hours and showing it live to the east coast, but not live to the people in the same time zone as the action.

Consider this: Seattle is roughly two and a half hours of driving away from Vancouver. If you lived in Seattle and found out an event was happening live, you could drive to Vancouver and find out what happened faster than it would take for NBC to deliver the action to you on television.

Also they've reduced their online offerings to only Hockey and I forget the other sport. Great for fans of those sports, but shouldn't the online content be for the stuff that people wouldn't care to watch on tv? It seems like the natural place to put the things that only thousands of people around the world care about rather than forcing it down the throats of millions watching on tv or completely neglecting it altogether.

NBC has to be the dumbest sports network on the planet. The same company that at one point had the rights to the three most watched sports in the US and somehow lost them because they didn't want to bid high enough drastically overbid for these Olympics only to give it half-ass coverage. feck them.
They were idiots to lose their football to CBS in 1999, that said CBS is the richest of the bunch and they were always going to go big after losing theirs in 92' and FOX was not giving their NFC rights up.

Leg-End

He was seriously unlucky there, although why there are exposed beams there is anybody's guess.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I've read a few articles that cite the fact that the Olympics are one of the few sporting events where women outnumber men in viewership and that has played a large role in some of the decisions they've made, most notably the one to relegate the USA v Canada men's hockey match to MSNBC so they could show Figure Skating on NBC. The ability to cut away from the event also plays a large part as well.

That's why it just angers me that their online content is so paltry. The opportunity to be able to deliver content specifically to the people that want to watch it and not waste resources delivering it to people that don't care for it is something that a smarter broadcast organization would have jumped at the chance to do, yet NBC has royally botched it.