Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

Dyslexic Untied

After failing enourmously with such classics as: https://www.redcafe.net/f12/official-winter-sports-thread-223643/ and https://www.redcafe.net/f12/tour-de-ski-137847/ respectively, gathering a total amount of 0 and 5 replies I try again to introduce Winter Sports to this fantastic forum.

So Swedes, Canadians, Americans and Norwegians.... Let us come together and enjoy our hockey, our alpine and crosscountry skiing, the skijumping, biathlons and speed skating.

This is the official 2010 Winter Olympics thread.

Dyslexic Untied

From a personal viewpoint I'd like to see Norway pick up gold medals with Petter Northug, Bjørgen, Aksel Lund Svindal, Hegle Svendsen and Bjørndalen.

Has the potential to be our best olympics ever. Or it could be another Torino.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I might watch the hockey but in the last few years have come to despise the Olympics.

Hope everyone else enjoys them, though.

FFS

Winter Olympics, does this mean the whole nation is going to pretend they care about Curling

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I'm looking forward to the games - I enjoy the skiing, bobsleigh, hockey, ski jumping anyway but my interest has certainly been helped by spending time in Vancouver and Whistler recently.

20solskjaer

i like the winter olympics, like watching the bobsleigh and luge and all that stuff, like the big downhill skiing stuff aswell, like the hockey and the speed skating too

Dyslexic Untied

Ahonen is probably your biggest gold favourite this year?

Your female skiers are a bit off form I think, Saarinen and the other chick. You used be good in the Combined skiing and jumping, but aren't anymore I think.

Men skiiers are few and a bit behind the elite as well now.

Would be nice for Ahonen to finally get an Olympic gold though.

Werewolf

Ahonen is probably your biggest goal favourite this year?

Your female skiers are a bit off form I think, Saarinen and the other chick. You used be good in the Combined skiing and jumping, but aren't anymore I think.

Men skiiers are few and a bit behind the elite as well now.

Would be nice for Ahonen to finally get an Olympic gold though.
Yes. This is his last chance to finally get something from the Olympics and I would like the "Mask" to make the most of it. :)
Austrians will be dangerous though...I would have liked the likes of Happonnen to step up but well.

By the way, I am not Finnish but I have a great passion for Scandinavia and grew up watching Janne ;)

Dyslexic Untied

Oh, ok.

Austrians will be favourites for sure. But the Olympics tend to give a few surprises when it comes to jumping.

Bystøl won in Torino, and I think it was Amman who broke through and won both the small/large hill in Salt Lake.

Werewolf

Oh, ok.

Austrians will be favourites for sure. But the Olympics tend to give a few surprises when it comes to jumping.

Bystøl won in Torino, and I think it was Amman who broke through and won both the small/large hill in Salt Lake.
Yes it was Ammann.

But I really wish a golden medal for Ahonen. Adam Malysz is another one who should have won a golden medal at some point in his career. Well, bring it on !

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Ski Cross looks promising. Love the nordic but USA TV cnuts rarely show it. Yank coverage is generally fecking awful and concentrates on skating, hockey and anything else where a yank might win a medal.

Iron Stove

INT sized ice though, which plays big advantages for Canada and the US being the only NHL entire teams.
Not that big of an advantage though. Sweden for instance brought the third goalie, the eight (why?) d-man and Mattias Weinhandl from Europe. The rest all play in the NHL.

Tribec

Pissed that that GB hockey team didn't make the finals. From where we were way back at the start of the decade, in terms of standard of league we should have been able to develop a team to qualify for these Olympics.

However the big hopes for GB are in the sliding events, our girls are amongst the best in the world at these events for some reason. We've got a real chance of a medal. The target for team GB is 3 medals, and I think that's a chance. Unreal that if we double that, it would be the best medal haul for GB at a winter games for 70 years.

Hockey wise, it's going to be interesting to say the least. I don't wish to declare any favourite till after the first round of games. The USA and Team Canada have to show us what they've got, after events last time out, you have to hope for better showings. I can't imagine what the feeling in Canada would be if they fail to get the gold. They are leaving nothing to chance, even sending the squad to the hall of fame to touch the looney from Salt Lake City.

I have to say that the recent introduction of some of the boarding events and free style events have added to the games, now once they get the full compliment of events including women's ski jumping, we'll perhaps see a rise in the profile of the Winter Games.

How do people think the switch from the same year as the Summer Games has affected the Winter Games?

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
The only thing I care about in the winter olympics is the ice hockey tournament.

The Russians have a ridiculously good roster.

Nabokov, Bryzgalov, Markov, Nikulin, Kalinin, Korneyev, Grebeshkov, Tyutin, Gonchar, Datsyuk, Malkin, Fedorov, Kovalchuk, Zaripov, Semin, Zinovjev, Ovechkin, Morozov :lol:

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
I hope Sweden meet Russia at some point so I can see Fedorov and Forsberg on the ice at the same time again :drool:

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Hockey wise, it's going to be interesting to say the least. I don't wish to declare any favourite till after the first round of games. The USA and Team Canada have to show us what they've got, after events last time out, you have to hope for better showings. I can't imagine what the feeling in Canada would be if they fail to get the gold. They are leaving nothing to chance, even sending the squad to the hall of fame to touch the looney from Salt Lake City.
In all honesty, the media are sizing this Olympics up to be our best yet, but it's turned into counting chickens before they've hatched.

In terms of Hockey, it's shocking how many pundits think that failure in these games (Because we're on home ice) Would eclipse past failures such as Torino, Nagano, etc, where in both tournaments we were flawed.

However, we were quite flawed in SLC too and we won gold.

Of course, the media are hinging out efforts on the ankle of Ryan Getzlaf, who could be looked at as this years Mike Peca, the heartbeat of the team... The only difference is Getzlaf is superstar material and Top 5 in the game, his loss would be huge, as in my opinion he's only beat out by Crosby in this Canada squad.

The likes of Jeff Carter, Steve Stamkios and Patrick Sharp are now on stand-by in my opinion, And this all but guarentees Toews will be in the mix.

Dyslexic Untied

Pissed that that GB hockey team didn't make the finals. From where we were way back at the start of the decade, in terms of standard of league we should have been able to develop a team to qualify for these Olympics.

However the big hopes for GB are in the sliding events, our girls are amongst the best in the world at these events for some reason. We've got a real chance of a medal. The target for team GB is 3 medals, and I think that's a chance. Unreal that if we double that, it would be the best medal haul for GB at a winter games for 70 years.

I have to say that the recent introduction of some of the boarding events and free style events have added to the games, now once they get the full compliment of events including women's ski jumping, we'll perhaps see a rise in the profile of the Winter Games.

How do people think the switch from the same year as the Summer Games has affected the Winter Games?

Hehe. You think womens skijumping is what we need to draw those big Indian, Chinese and US viewcountings?

Tribec

The only thing I care about in the winter olympics is the ice hockey tournament.

The Russians have a ridiculously good roster.

Nabokov, Bryzgalov, Markov, Nikulin, Kalinin, Korneyev, Grebeshkov, Tyutin, Gonchar, Datsyuk, Malkin, Fedorov, Kovalchuk, Zaripov, Semin, Zinovjev, Ovechkin, Morozov :lol:
Well one thing is for sure, Malkin and Ovechkin probably won't be on the same line. As long as they don't create fractions within the team they could do well. I fear however, that whilst them two are fueding the Russian hockey team, will resemble the Dutch national football team, with loads of in fighting.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
Well one thing is for sure, Malkin and Ovechkin probably won't be on the same line. As long as they don't create fractions within the team they could do well. I fear however, that whilst them two are fueding the Russian hockey team, will resemble the Dutch national football team, with loads of in fighting.
Bykov is probably going to play Fedorov, Semin and Ovechkin in the same line like he did in 2008. They have played together in the same line in Washington and in the national team and they've been very effective. It's almost guaranteed that he's going to use the old AK Bars line Morozov, Zinovjev and Zaripov who also have played together for years.

Will be interesting to see what the other lines will look like. They have some amazing options.

Nucks

RT History Department
Living in the US for the past 6 years, I haven't been able to enjoy the olympics at all. The coverage is horrific. It jumps around and only covers events so long as an American is involved. There is no continuity. This probably explains why virtually every American I've ever met or heard of that can get the CBC, watches their coverage.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Living in the US for the past 6 years, I haven't been able to enjoy the olympics at all. The coverage is horrific. It jumps around and only covers events so long as an American is involved. There is no continuity. This probably explains why virtually every American I've ever met or heard of that can get the CBC, watches their coverage.
CBC always does a good job with the Olympics.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Ah the Olympics, the Swedish media build up/hype all Swedish "medal hopes" and then rip them to shreds when they fail to live up to unrealistic expectations like usual:D

Alex

Its on like 8 channels you know, as for only having the US on, certainly that is a good thing for the summer games as they win the most medals by far in the actual sports. I do think the coverage sucked for Beijing as it was delayed not only for primetime on the east coast but also the west coast, so the shit that they were showing happened 16 hours before.

mexos

Academy player
Unfortunately I'll be hiding out in Denmark when the Olympic games begin. Maybe it will make it all the more sweeter.

Dyslexic Untied

30 athletes have been denied participation cause of suspected doping.

The names and nationalities are not out yet. Russian skiers and biathloners have been caught a lot lately, could be some of them.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Not a skate has hit the spotlight ice and already Canadian media are making a big deal of figure skating judges :lol:

Big doping bust as well, I see Ruben has already touched on it