With Jose still in charge - I am NOT looking forward to next season

AshRK

Agree. If Mourinho isn't ruthless enough and start building a proper team, if he's happy with this mediocrity playing main role then he should follow them outside the club as well. The next transfer window is crucial. It's up to him (and Ed) if they want to succeed or not.

I'm struggling to find anyone in the current team that I can say I actually love him. This is the first United side for years that I'm getting a bit irrelevant about its players.
This. None of these current players make me want to appreciate or look at them like some greats. Infact most of them are what I really used to hate about football players during sir alex time. Cannot take them seriously

Hamadovich86

I am thrilled about next season but thats how I am at the start of every season. After the Sevilla game I said I dont expect Mourinho to deliver thrilling football but if he cant bring major trophies then what good is it having him? Next season is it, PL or bust.

GregtheRed_

I can understand peoples’ frustration after a game such as yesterday, but this forum is far too reactionary to loses.

It’s expected that we compete for the Champion’s League and win the premiership every year because that’s what we’re used to.

People need to realise that we (let alone the rest of football) will never have another manager in the same ilk as Ferguson. A one of a kind human being and manager that could consistently produce with the bare minimum. Naturally, that makes it incredibly difficult to replicate. We’re still in a transition period.

We didn’t play bad yesterday. We grew into the game at the end of the first half and actually played some attractive football - we were just unfortunate not to capitalise. You can see the foundations are there, we just need the missing piece of the jigsaw to make it tick.

Compare City last year to now with the addition of quality fullbacks and the difference is massive. It’s such a shame that people don’t seem to have enough patience to let it play out and instead call for Mourinho’s sacking.

In all seriousness, where will that leave us? We’ll be back to square one with a new manager and a new system that our players have to adapt to. We’ve just appointed a new fitness coach and there’s speculation of a new assistant manager. There’s obviously drastic changes going on behind the scenes which could potentially directly effect how we play next season.

Jose isn’t intentionally trying to lose. Have some patience!

Water Melon

He will not win the Prem or CL next season. City will stick to their mantra, reinforce themselves further and win the Prem and do better in CL. Pep's extending his contract shows that he wants to achieve more, and what is more than breaking most of the records in the Prem? Of course it is CL. Mou is unlikely to change his vision of football, so I am expecting another low-entertainment season with no big trophies to show up for.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm hoping with a clean slate, new players, and everyone being on zero points, things may be a bit better.

Can't say right now I'm all that hopeful of things being much different though. Early days in the summer though, so who knows.

Strachans Cigar

I’m ok sticking with Jose for another year. Don’t expect us to make up a 19 point gap on City, but hopefully we will be closer.

SpyLuke10

Jose played the out of form Rashford over the most exciting player to watch in the team, Martial, we lost the game, surprise surprise. Bloody moron.

I was fully behind Jose until the signing of Alexis Sanchez and subsequent shifting of Martial to the right. That took me from being 100% behind him to 60% in one swoop. The next blow was when he blatantly lied to the fans about why Bailly wasn't playing, telling us some rubbish about the world cup when he was benching Martial and hardly playing Mata either. What a liar. 60% now becomes 30%. Its a fecking joke that Jones played over Bailly today.

Now after another sub-par performance, of which the person most to blame for it is Jose, imo, I'm at the point where I'm behind him and I want the team to do well next season, but its much like Arsenal fans this season with Wenger, they knew he was there to stay for at least another year and so they pretty much had to get behind him because he sure as hell wasn't gonna leave before the end of this season. I couldn't care less anymore if Jose left, this game today has shown me that he is probably not going to be here after next season, which is a shame. If we don't win the league or champions league next season, or at least come awfully close to winning one of them, then he should not be at the club beyond next season.

TL;DR: Today has greatly assisted me in making my mind up about Jose, I'm 100% behind him and the team for next season, but I wouldn't be bothered at all if he left. Very few successful managers are able to adapt to the times and continue to do well unfortunately (and the signs are there that Jose's career might be similar to Arsene's in terms of just being a bit outdated), but we can only hope for next season.

P.S. One thing I am still really confident in with regards to Jose is the signings. He has done very well in the transfer market for us, so far at least. An Alex Sandro, Umtiti and/or SMS could improve this team astronomically.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
But who is forcing jose to play jones and smalling. Why cannot he trust bailly more. After 2 seasons and 4 transfer windows he still thinks jones and smalling are his best defenders. I cannot excuse jose for playing that defensive lineup. It's totally on him
He appears to have bombed out Lindelof and Rojo and god knows what Bailly was thinking watching Jones yesterday.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I hope he ll be sacked in December when we'll already be 13 points behind City.

Players are poor, but tactically we are teethless.

We often rely on individuals and we cqn only play one way. Big man ahead and not a single cross or run.

Hazard just shiwed was we are missing

SpyLuke10

I’m ok sticking with Jose for another year. Don’t expect us to make up a 19 point gap on City, but hopefully we will be closer.
You've put what I tried to say much better. I too am "ok" sticking with Jose for another year, but I wish I was more than just "ok" with this, but rather super happy to have such a great coach on board for another year like many of the Sir Alex years or like how most Liverpool fans are with Klopp or Man City fans with Pep. I'm disappointed that I'm only "ok" with him sticking around for another year. I wish I was "delighted" to have Jose for another year, or "thrilled" to have him for another year.

DomesticTadpole

Is that all we have to hope for? If the football doesn't change next season he can do one as far as I am concerned. Because if we are not right behind them or even ahead and have progressed to the QF at least and I expect a trophy for the money he is spending. We can not be perpetually rebuilding and using it as an excuse. Hopefully he will take a few of the exciting kids on tour and if they show him what they can do he tries to use them in the squad. Not holding my breath on that count.

SpyLuke10

He appears to have bombed out Lindelof and Rojo and god knows what Bailly was thinking watching Jones yesterday.
No way we concede that goal with Bailly instead of Jones, Bailly is much faster than the slow Phil Jones, and he is better 1 v 1.

SpyLuke10

I hope he ll be sacked in December when we'll already be 13 points behind City.

Players are poor, but tactically we are teethless.

We often rely on individuals and we cqn only play one way. Big man ahead and not a single cross or run.

Hazard just shiwed was we are missing
No, that would mean we'd have to be absolutely terrible, and mid season appointments are always shit. We need to actually put some proper thought into it and make sure to make the best appointment. I'd personally really like someone like Jardim myself, or maybe Sarri.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
No, that would mean we'd have to be absolutely terrible, and mid season appointments are always shit. We need to actually put some proper thought into it and make sure to make the best appointment. I'd personally really like someone like Jardim myself, or maybe Sarri.
Klopp came in November if I remember well so not always. It depends on the coach you hires

Bocca9978

The problem I have is how good are the new signings going to be? I don’t think I’ve liked any of his signing so far other than Bailly, but injuries haven’t helped him. Pogba has it, but not with this manager.

And don’t get me started on on how shit Jose’s tactics are. I think it’ll all go wrong next season for him and he’ll be gone by new year.

SpyLuke10

Klopp came in November if I remember well so not always. It depends on the coach you hires
Well my point is mid season appointments usually aren't good, can you think of any other good managers who came in to a top club mid season (actually I can think of one, Jupp Heynckes at bayern this season). I want there to be good planning and some time taken to make the best decision, I wouldn't want the next manager to be hired without much thought like with Moyes or LVG (in this situation where jose gets sacked in november/december).

SpyLuke10

I would not with any manager with this shit squad we have. Maybe SAF would be the only one who could get better with this squad.
the squad is not shit at all, nowhere near shit, the coaching for attacking has just been poor. very poor imo.

Asger

the squad is not shit at all, nowhere near shit, the coaching for attacking has just been poor. very poor imo.
I would say Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool have better squad than us. It's unbelievable how fans overrate our team.

Acole9

Outstanding
I still think Mourinho is the right man. We've just got to stop playing this slow, defence comes first minded football, it's an outdated tactic. In the future I'm sure it'll have it's time again but the way other teams are playing it's hopeless.

Tony247

The squad has lost life.

Recently, I mean in last 4-5 years jose transfer judgements are mostly flawed. From shipping out potential talents to bringing in spent players like falcao, sanchez. Even last 2 windows were not good.

But still we should give him one more year. Otherwise continuous instability will take us further down.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That Simone like Mourinho not suitable for United. Cholo today is a much better manager than Jose, but still his attitude is to be underdog and play defensively.
Pochettino looks like the perfect manager Man Utd need now. Developing young talents, playing attractive football, good team pressure. Has enough experience, and familiar with the league.
He will reach top club. If not Man Utd, so other club.

There is no point to go to Wikipedia and just check which titles the candidate won in the past. Football is very dynamic. It's ridiculous management and it's exactly what hapenning in the board. It can't work like this.
You should investigate the philosophy, attitude, skills and expierence.
I want poch also here. One day. Not now.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Yes. These idiots would have hounded him out after 2 seasons. We were a complete mess when Jose arrived. It takes time to build a squad.
Someone who is comparing the current Mourinho to a young Fergie shouldn't be calling anyone else idiots...

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It is difficult for him to completely overhaul the squad and stay competitive.
We came 2nd and got to a final and the complaining never ceases. This is the pressure he is under.
I am pretty happy with what is happening.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Someone who is comparing the current Mourinho to a young Fergie shouldn't be calling anyone else idiots...
Read it again, or get mummy to read it to you. I didn't compare them.
The situations are similar. He is taking over a shite team and being asked to transform it into a title challenging side. This takes time, even for the greatest managers.

slayerfer

People are so impatient. Most of the time it takes many years for a club to create a great team.

How many years it took us to bulld the 2007/08 squad?

We signed Ferdinand in 2002/03
Ronaldo in 2003/04
Rooney in 2004/05
Vidic, Evra, Park and Van der Saar in 2005/06
Carrick in 2006/07
Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves and Tevez in 2007/08

Then, only then, we won the Champions League and became a force in Europe.

So we signed twelve important players in five years (plus some others I'm not going to mention).

How many important players do we have now? DDG, Bailly, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku and maybe Sanchez. And that's it. We're not even close to be the finished product. We are right in the middle of a rebuilding process.

Hopefully in the next two or three summer windows we'll sign the right 6-8 players that we need. If some of our young players step up (Martial, Rashford, Fosu-Menzah, Tuanzebe, Pereira, etc) that would help a lot.

Is Mourinho the right man for the job? I don't know. But who else is available? Maybe we'll have to repalce him too. But not now.

I don't expect United to be ready after this transfer window. And I don't expect United to play really well or to win things yet. "But we're United, we must play better and win things now!". Nope. Sorry, but no, it doesn't work like that. We'll have to wait.

Irrational.

I’m with José.

All his signings bar Lindelof (hasn’t played enough to come to conclusion yet) are stapled starters for the team. Unfortunate Bailly is injured as much as he is which makes him a bit forgotten but he’s one of the leagues best when out there.

...just need to bring in more starters/upgrades for the other starting positions that’s all. It’s a process and progress has been made and I hope continues to for the betterment of the club. Lukaku-Pogba-Alexis-Matic-Bailly are our for sure starters; let’s bring in some FBs, CM, and RW for the finishing touches :)

SammyUnited_83

It is difficult for him to completely overhaul the squad and stay competitive.
We came 2nd and got to a final and the complaining never ceases. This is the pressure he is under.
I am pretty happy with what is happening.
Happy ?! Really.

We are so boring, stale and predictable - he needs to go now.

Why are people banging on about us finishing 2nd? Who give a shit. We should be more critical that we had lost the league by Xmas after spending ££s, so finishing 2nd for me is a complete irrelevance.

Out in the league cup to Bristol, league gone by Xmas and knocked out by Seville before the CL really kicks in. He secured top 4 by playing SHITE football.

Would much rather be in Liverpool's position and I fecking hate saying that. But at least their fans are actually treated to some excitement, oh, and they got to the CL final.

Face it. We are fecked under this clown.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Do people true him with the vast amount of money we're inevitably going to spend in the summer? I'm not sure i do. Going to be another huge turnover and i'm not 100% sure he's going to nail it. Many player need to go, and a few need to come in. I'm not sure whether he's going to identify the right personnel.
Every top name worth his salt would jump at the chance to manage United and that's me, an Arsenal fan, saying it.

SammyUnited_83

People are so impatient. Most of the time it takes many years for a club to create a great team.

How many years it took us to bulld the 2007/08 squad?

We signed Ferdinand in 2002/03
Ronaldo in 2003/04
Rooney in 2004/05
Vidic, Evra, Park and Van der Saar in 2005/06
Carrick in 2006/07
Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves and Tevez in 2007/08

Then, only then, we won the Champions League and became a force in Europe.

So we signed twelve important players in five years (plus some others I'm not going to mention).

How many important players do we have now? DDG, Bailly, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku and maybe Sanchez. And that's it. We're not even close to be the finished product. We are right in the middle of a rebuilding process.

Hopefully in the next two or three summer windows we'll sign the right 6-8 players that we need. If some of our young players step up (Martial, Rashford, Fosu-Menzah, Tuanzebe, Pereira, etc) that would help a lot.

Is Mourinho the right man for the job? I don't know. But who else is available? Maybe we'll have to repalce him too. But not now.

I don't expect United to be ready after this transfer window. And I don't expect United to play really well or to win things yet. "But we're United, we must play better and win things now!". Nope. Sorry, but no, it doesn't work like that. We'll have to wait.
The Jose / Utd process was stated that he needed 3 (?) Transfer windows.

He has bought 2 centre backs for 60 odd million and both have barely played this season, and, have they even played together? He bought and sold Mhiki and bought and lost Zlatan. Pogba and Sanchez have been average. That's 6 players and a feck load of £££s and we have barely seen an improvement in the style of football.

But yeah, let's be patient, waste some more money and keep playing this way. Brilliant.

spiriticon

The caf Boom Bust cycle starts again for those actually looking forward to next year :lol:

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Not looking forward to next season personally. We may well spend a lot of a money this summer and bring in some exciting players, but i don't believe we'll see the best of them with Jose here. The lack of attacking direction is painfully obvious in many games (especially ones like yesterday), i do believe we've found some resilience this year which has allowed us to come back a number of times but it often seems like it's just the players reacting to going behind and simply picking up the pace of their play somewhat. It's huffing and puffing, and yesterday that huffing and puffing simply wasn't enough to blow Chelsea's house down and it isn't enough to be a consistent team.

Mercurial

José to me need to stay, we need the consistency, we need to make club>player in every aspect again. In my opinion we need new (young(er)) attackminded fullbacks, 1 versatile mid to release pogba and alleviate matic a bit, 1winger that can stay consistent and deliver speed, width, cross, speedy cutins, and some goals vs low sitters on a constant level. Our squad looks good, I don't get the rip it all out and reset mentality, we have aging players that reached end of line or are getting there fast and they need natural replacement, as long as we progress on we should have patience.

Saw an interview yesterday when Scholes and the players had worries when we went 2-3 seasons without anything major, Saf said to have faith that we were in a transition phase and things take time.

My feeling is we were struggling to even be an attractive transfer option for great players as late as just 2 seasons ago. Our main point of sale was huge money for sub par players slightly lower than top tier that we usually want. Or players cast aside / in need of some redemption, not trophy's and glory and big money for WC players. Now things look ever so better and we need to keep this growth trajectory. Our scouting team was overhauled and so will part of the coaching staff come this year with Rui leaving.

Winning as a club is a bit bigger to me than nitpicking progression of a sulking youngster or two on massive money that have it in their own hands to impose upon their career under no less than two coaches. Sure they might do better at a club like Roma or Monaco, but they will not win anything, and at the end of the day they make or break themselves with their attitude.
We are United, not a growth&feed club like Roma, Monaco, Dortmund, Liverpool, Tottenham etc.

I wish us a bountyful transfer season, our players a great WC, and new exciting season come end of summer/fall.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Read it again, or get mummy to read it to you. I didn't compare them.
The situations are similar. He is taking over a shite team and being asked to transform it into a title challenging side. This takes time, even for the greatest managers.
:rolleyes:
And what great progress he's making...

DomesticTadpole

Happy ?! Really.

We are so boring, stale and predictable - he needs to go now.

Why are people banging on about us finishing 2nd? Who give a shit. We should be more critical that we had lost the league by Xmas after spending ££s, so finishing 2nd for me is a complete irrelevance.

Out in the league cup to Bristol, league gone by Xmas and knocked out by Seville before the CL really kicks in. He secured top 4 by playing SHITE football.

Would much rather be in Liverpool's position and I fecking hate saying that. But at least their fans are actually treated to some excitement, oh, and they got to the CL final.

Face it. We are fecked under this clown.
He is not a progressive manager and that is what we need, new ideas. Jose has used these tactics for donkeys years, yes they were successful, but football is changing all the clubs want attractive football, even the lower PL clubs. He won trophies, but he is used to winning the big trophies and that has stopped, we are now competing for the also ran trophies. We need to get back to the top table, so he needs a phenominal transfer window. He will get next season to try again and will either give in or the fans pressure will make the board act. The same football and more fans will turn. You would hope we will not get the same results against the smaller teams again, but then knowing us we will go back to be awful against the Top 6. Yes we finished second, but the gap was that big we might as well be midtable. City are a dot on the horizon. Yes the team was in a mess, but how much money does it take to rebuild this team. There has to be a time where an assessment is made regarding if it is the signings not being right, not great, or the manager, not great either.

DomesticTadpole

:rolleyes:
And what great progress he's making...
I am sick of hearing about he took over a shit side, yes it was not great, but he has made a right botch job of putting it right. There is a constant turnover of players, how the hell does he expect them to gel if it is changed all the time. He has spent millions, so it is up to him to get these players performing, not undermining them constantly to save his own neck.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I think he has lost the confidence of the players which will cause his demise at some point next srason.

If the level of football continues and we find ourselves behind City in Jan i reckon he will be sacked.