With Ronaldo, how do we line up?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

My guess for the first game back.
When McT back fit, swap him for Matic and I'd like to see if that lineup would work.

Pogba in a 2 doesn't seem right but if Bruno can drop back 5-10 yards and they BOTH help the Def Mid when needed, that might give the cover we need when we lose the ball but also have the attacking options when we have it.

As much as we can field half a dozen attacking players, we've got to get the balance right or end up like Ardiles Spurs or Keegans Newcastle.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Hmm, not sure. Solskjaer saying he sees Ronaldo as more of a centre-forward makes atm me think we won't see the Cavani/Ronaldo pairing that often and it would be surprising if Greenwood gets dropped to the bench.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can’t see Greenwood dropping out of the team in his current form, and Sancho apparently picked up a knock so I think he’ll be ok the bench at best.
Especially with Greenwood not going on international duty. Same with Cavani. It'll be a trio of Cavani, Ronaldo and Greenwood up top, Bruno, Pogba and Fred in midfield. It's Newcastle... one of the few games we can probably do this in. Maybe Van de Beek can start since we have CL midweek so Pogba gets rested.

Tomics

No Greenwood?
When McT back fit, swap him for Matic and I'd like to see if that lineup would work.

Pogba in a 2 doesn't seem right but if Bruno can drop back 5-10 yards and they BOTH help the Def Mid when needed, that might give the c
I think this lineup is a bad idea. Hopefully we won't be seeing that lineup.
No Greenwood? Sancho is struggling with a knock. Besides that , the frontline and midfield looks slow. No serious pace for counter attack or for pressing

sukhy

Ronaldo has never thrived playing up front on his, at Real he was on the left or playing alongside Benzema. Same at Juve, but switch out Benz for Morata.
352 probably makes sense, if United want to play to his strengths:

De Gea
Varane-Maguire-Shaw
Dalot-McT-Pogba-Telles
Bruno
Ronaldo +1 (of Sancho/Rashford/Cavani/Greenwood/Martial)

Switch out Telles for Lindelof, and put Shaw at LWB, but that line up probably makes the most sense to get the best out of Ronaldo IMO.
Saw a clip of Gary Neville saying Ronaldo is a number 9 now, not sure what he's basing that on, he must not have watched any of Juventus in the last 3 years.
Even at the Euros, Ronaldo was pulling out to the left, and Jota was playing more centrally.

No Greenwood?

I think this lineup is a bad idea. Hopefully we won't be seeing that lineup.
No Greenwood? Sancho is struggling with a knock. Besides that , the frontline and midfield looks slow. No serious pace for counter attack or for pressing
I was talking about the midfield (a possible way of balancing defence with offence). And a team with Pogba, Bruno, Sancho/Greenwood and even Ronaldo is definitely not slow

justsomebloke

Ronaldo has never thrived playing up front on his, at Real he was on the left or playing alongside Benzema. Same at Juve, but switch out Benz for Morata.

De Gea
Varane-Maguire-Shaw
Dalot-McT-Pogba-Telles
Bruno

Switch out Telles for Lindelof, and put Shaw at LWB, but that line up probably makes the most sense to get the best out of Ronaldo IMO.
Saw a clip of Gary Neville saying Ronaldo is a number 9 now, not sure what he's basing that on, he must not have watched any of Juventus in the last 3 years.
Even at the Euros, Ronaldo was pulling out to the left, and Jota was playing more centrally.
I don't think 352 makes sense from a perspective of squad utilisation - it basically means playing Telles (or Lindelof) instead of one of our offensive players. Also, it would be a complete shift in the whole shape of the team and hence the structure of our game. We've historically only done it in games where we weren't contesting dominance. Not expecting to see that happen, and would be deeply disappointed if we do.

In the 4231, both of the wide players play more or less as inside forwards anyway, so it's not like it leaves Ronaldo isolated at top.

flappyjay

Move to a 4 3 3 with Fred at the base, Pogba and Bruno get given defensive responsibilities. Kill Shaw as an attacking fullback and make him an inverted fullback. He has the necessary technique to move inside when we have the ball.

Mr Smith

De Gea
Varane-Maguire-Shaw
Dalot-McT-Pogba-Telles
Bruno

Ridiculous. You've moved Shaw to a CB despite the fact that he's been the best attacking LB in the world for the past 12 months, shifted to a system most of these players have never played, and you want to play only one of Sancho, Rashford, Cavani or Greenwood? Zero chance of this happening.

Ronaldo isn't incapable of playing as a lone striker, he just won't play like a conventional striker. He'll drop deep to exchange passes with our other forwards before darting in behind, almost like a false nine. Against weaker teams he might play on the left off either Greenwood or Cavani, as he's still more than capable of dribbling past a player.

Jacob

Any lineup without Greenwood right now is criminal.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Ronaldo
Pogba Bruno Greenwood
Fred McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
deGea

Cavani
Martial VdB Lingard Sancho
Matic
Telles Lindelöf Bailly Dalot
Heaton​

Jericho

Ronaldo
Pogba Bruno Greenwood
Fred McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
deGea

Cavani
Martial VdB Lingard Sancho
Matic
Telles Lindelöf Bailly Dalot
Heaton​
That's it. Assuming everyone's fit that's probably who will/should start.

That's it. Assuming everyone's fit that's probably who will/should start.
Possibly.

Theres been talk about Bruno dropping back 5 or 10 yards so he can get the ball sooner/have more influence (and also that there’s not this huge gap between attack and midfield). Some games, Bruno is just outside the box along with three or four other players and there’s a huge gap when we lose it.

This line up (posted just ⬆⬆) could accommodate this and may also be helped by Ronaldo dropping a bit too (pushing Bruno back). I’d do a graphic but im lazy

Ronaldo
Pogba Bruno Greenwood
Fred McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
deGea

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not far off the truth, although I think Rashford slots in there for Martial or Pogba depending on form.
I'm assuming Rashford and Henderson are both still out. There are going to be some headaches for Ole when both return but you also cannot expect to have a fully fit squad fora a full season.

Highfather_24

Considering the form Greenwood in, and I cant see Sancho and Ronaldo not starting, I would say Rashford will have a very hard time being in the first choice XI. Even more considering his recent form.

luke511

I'll be very disappointed if McFred starts vs Newcastle at home, especially with Wilson injured.

luke511

Luckily for you McTominay will likely be unfit, so we'll have Fred-Matic or Fred-Pogba instead :annoyed:
I'll be happy if Fred-Pogba is given another go, see if Fred shows signs of being able to adapt to that CDM role a bit more. If not that Fred-VDB would be a treat.

luke511

McT is ready to come back?
That's what I thought when I saw him being mentioned in potential starting XIs, I had a look and saw the MEN headline "Scott McTominay drops Manchester United return hint ahead of Newcastle fixture" so assumed he'll be involved. I've just properly read the article and it's hardly a hint, serves me right for being lazy!

The White Pele

I think we line up the same as last season but with Ronaldo taking Martial’s place and Sancho taking James’ place in the squad. Cavani restored to the role we bought him for of impact sub and rotation option. Martial having to fight it out in training for games from the left and cup games at number 9.

I still expect to see the double pivot frequently which makes selection for the 4 attacking spots tricky but once the games come thick and fast I don’t think there’ll be many problems.

——————-CR/EC
MR/PP———————-MG/JS
——————BF/JL
————F/NM——SM/VDB
LS/AT———————————AWB/DD
————HM/EB——RV/VL
———————DG/DH

Absolutely stacked with attacking options from the bench.

Edit:

Would love to see this for half an hour attacking the Stretford end:

——————CR
——MR——JS——MG
————PP——BF

:drool:

Last edited:

Levenstein

--------------------------De Gea
-------Lindelof----Varane----Maguire

-------------------Fred------------------------------Shaw
Sancho--------------------------Pogba-----------

----------------------Bruno-------------
---------Cavani---------------Ronaldo

sukhy

Ridiculous. You've moved Shaw to a CB despite the fact that he's been the best attacking LB in the world for the past 12 months, shifted to a system most of these players have never played, and you want to play only one of Sancho, Rashford, Cavani or Greenwood? Zero chance of this happening.

Ronaldo isn't incapable of playing as a lone striker, he just won't play like a conventional striker. He'll drop deep to exchange passes with our other forwards before darting in behind, almost like a false nine. Against weaker teams he might play on the left off either Greenwood or Cavani, as he's still more than capable of dribbling past a player.
You want Ronaldo to play as a false 9, with Bruno being the most advanced number 10 in the league? How is that supposed to work? Just going to have them getting in each others way.

Ronaldo, more than capable of Dribbling past a player. What exactly are you basing this on? All of the stats and footage from the last few years say otherwise.

People have complained for years about Martials pressing when he's played up top on his own, wait until they see a forward who is in the bottom 1 percent of presses in Europe.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
--------------------------De Gea
-------Lindelof----Varane----Maguire

-------------------Fred------------------------------Shaw
Sancho--------------------------Pogba-----------

----------------------Bruno-------------
---------Cavani---------------Ronaldo
Sancho at wing back ? :houllier:

Mr Smith

You want Ronaldo to play as a false 9, with Bruno being the most advanced number 10 in the league? How is that supposed to work? Just going to have them getting in each others way.

Ronaldo, more than capable of Dribbling past a player. What exactly are you basing this on? All of the stats and footage from the last few years say otherwise.

People have complained for years about Martials pressing when he's played up top on his own, wait until they see a forward who is in the bottom 1 percent of presses in Europe.
I'm not saying we should play him that way, but that's the kind of striker Ronaldo would be. He's not a hold-up player, he actually likes to get involved in the build-up. Personally, I'd play Bruno about 5-10 yards deeper to avoid what you're describing, instead of him basically being a second striker.

Actually, the stats do support that he's dribbling more. Not sure if you have access to the Athletic, but they did a very detailed piece last year outlining that he did his least dribbling and was least involved in build-up play during his last two seasons at Real, but at Juve all those things increased again. Exhibit A from a match last season:

People are going to have to get used to the fact that he doesn't press. If we didn't want that or couldn't handle it, we shouldn't have signed him. But we solve it by playing quick, dynamic, aggressive players around him who can press (Greenwood, Rashford when he comes back). Against the best sides, it will probably also mean a more defensive approach. But it sure as hell won't mean a back three with Telles and Dalot as wingbacks.

Abraxas

Ronaldo, Cavani looks quite a significant departure from what we've gone with over the last few years. It's not impossible that it could work and there could be times when we throw the kitchen sink at the opposition using this and getting crosses in.

But I think it lacks a bit of genuine pace, we've generally had Rashford, Greenwood and Martial as outlets. It may also lack a bit of width as neither of those two are going to enjoy pulling wide in the way Martial or Rashford do.

I would start with flanking Ronaldo with some pace, hopefully stretch the opposition and create chances for him. We won't want Bruno, Pogba, Cavani and Ronaldo all operating in tight areas and becoming a little too easy to play against. At the moment Greenwood is the natural option, and I'd say Rashford when available, or try to bed Sancho in.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Greenwood
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​

Rashford rotating with Sancho and Greenwood when fit

sukhy

I'm not saying we should play him that way, but that's the kind of striker Ronaldo would be. He's not a hold-up player, he actually likes to get involved in the build-up. Personally, I'd play Bruno about 5-10 yards deeper to avoid what you're describing, instead of him basically being a second striker.

Actually, the stats do support that he's dribbling more. Not sure if you have access to the Athletic, but they did a very detailed piece last year outlining that he did his least dribbling and was least involved in build-up play during his last two seasons at Real, but at Juve all those things increased again. Exhibit A from a match last season:

People are going to have to get used to the fact that he doesn't press. If we didn't want that or couldn't handle it, we shouldn't have signed him. But we solve it by playing quick, dynamic, aggressive players around him who can press (Greenwood, Rashford when he comes back). Against the best sides, it will probably also mean a more defensive approach. But it sure as hell won't mean a back three with Telles and Dalot as wingbacks.
Juve lined up in a 442 that day, and they pretty much always had a front 2 with Pirlo/Sarri/Allegri, either in 442 or 352.

If Ronaldo is playing up top, dropping deep to try and dribble, when we have better dribblers in the team (Rashford, Sancho etc) , it's just going to be detrimental to the side.
Bruno playing deeper would be a good idea, but he's been so ridiculously effective as a 10, it will nerf him quite a bit if he was 15 yards deeper.
The 352 formation is probably the only formation to get Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba in it, and with some freedom. Ronaldo can drift to the left, Bruno can play as a 10, Pogba can play almost as a free 8 because he has 5 defenders behind him.

I get the idea about having a bunch of pressers around Ronaldo, but it will be difficult for them pressing with 9 instead of 10. Pogba will be knackered soon enough.

With the 352 I mentioned, Shaw would get some freedom from his left centre back position, he can be the one that steps out with the ball. Dalot is a better wingback than AWB, because if you have Ronaldo, you need to put crosses into the box, and AWBs crossing is probably his weakest point.

cyberman

Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno Greenwood
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​

Rashford rotating with Sancho and Greenwood when fit
The thread should really end here. Mason is young and will go through patches this year so rotating he and Rashford along the wide areas solves a lot of potential issues but this is it. It’s just down to Oles ability to rotate Cavani, Martial and Fred in so we don’t suffer when resting players

bondsname

Ronaldo may have become more of a poacher these days, but he still occupies that left hand side and likes to cut inside. He’a not glued to the center like say Cavani, Lewandowski or Haaland is, I can see Ronaldo making attacking runs down the left hand side, occasionally switching to the right, putting in crosses and getting into good positions in the box when the timing is right.

Ronaldo Cavani Sancho
Ronaldo Greenwood Sancho

A good striker in the middle to keep the defence occupied, don’t know if Greenwood is up to the task yet but defenders would be aware of Cavani’s movement, which would keep Ronaldo from being double/triple marked. Shaw obviously making assisting runs, and Pogba and Bruno making themselves available. Ronaldo and Cavani together in the box when our right winger has the ball with Bruno making a late run.

Counter attacking situations is what I look forward to the most, as Ronaldo will acknowledge where his teammates are running and will adjust his run accordingly, not running into the same space.

When Rashford returns though I see the a small issue arising though… where does he start? He’s wank on the right side, we already have Greenwood and Sancho for that, and Rashford as a striker is a hit or miss. Our best option may be:

Rashford Ronaldo Greenwood/Sancho

Rashford can cross the ball, but I feel Ronaldo might be a bit lonely up there and will see little of the ball.
Hopefully the coaching staff works something out that will benefit everyone.

LuckyScout78

This. Atleast until Rashford is back
Against teams United shall Dominate this can be a option.

With Ronaldo and Rashford back. I like and prefer 442 with 2 CFs

Sancho - Bruno - McTom - Rashford + Greenwod (RCF) - Ronaldo (LCF)

Now the tactical. Depend on teams United shall dominate. Like team sitting back and park the defend. I would prefer a better and more offensive right full back in Dalot instead of Bissaka. Because of Dalot precise crosser from the wide. Where you have a really good header in Ronaldo in the box, coming from the far post. And i maybe would go for a really offensive duo in Bruno and Pogba. To press and power play parking bus teams. With a XI like this:

Ultra offensive 442:

Dalot - Varane - Maguire - Shaw + Sancho - Bruno - Pobga - Rashford + Greenwood - Ronaldo.

And now against Liverpool, City, Chelsea, PSG and Bayern Munich. The current top 5 in Europe. A more defensive XI. Then the super aggressive, mobile and destroyer McTom shall in the line up. Maybe i would go for another DM and two DM and put Bruno back as nr.10. And of course Bissaka back as RB. Like this in a more 4411 formation. A more natural CAM than with 2 CFs in a 442 formation.

Bissaka - Varane - Maguire - Shaw + Sancho - McTom - Fred - Rashford + Bruno + Ronaldo

Conclusion and sum up. My tactical line up depend on the strenght and weakness off the opponents. Against team i think and believe United shall dominate. I go more offensive.
Against top 5 in Europe. I go more defensive. Win the match by beeing aggresive as a team. Break them down and being effience with counter attack. With 2 really skill ful and fast wingers and wide players. And with 2 clinical and sharp 2 attacking players in one CF and a free CAM.
Against. It depend on the opponents teams. Special theirs CMs. The aggresiveness, intensity and skills of theirs cm players and full as a team. How i would line up.

And again. Against teams United shall dominate. Most of the matches. Its the gas pedal is on the full speed. 4 defend and 6 attacking players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If all are fit...
One of Sancho or Pogba on one wing as the creative guy.
One of Ronaldo/Rashford/Greenwood on the other wing as the inside forward.
One of Ronaldo/Cavani up top.
One of Bruno or Pogba as the 10.
2 of Pogba, Fred, McTominay in midfield depending on opponent.
Shaw, Maguire, Varane, Wan Bissaka. De Gea or Henderson in net.

Really with the midfield and attack, we have so many options that we shouldn't have injury issues. Past these players we have Martial, Lingard, Matic and Van de Beek too.

Olecurls99

Gk De Gea
Rb Bissaka
Cb Varane
Cb Maguire
Lb Shaw
Cm Mctominay
Cm Donny/Fred
Am Fernandes/Pogba
Lf Ronaldo/Rashford
Cf Greenwood/ Cavani
Rf Sancho

Greenwood or Cavani to be the lead attacker and Ronaldo to attack from the left. Sancho to provide assists for the 2 more direct attackers.

Donny to link things. Mctominay to sit and grow into that role. This team can match anybody.

What do y'all say about a 4312, at least while fred/McTominay are out?

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Donny McSauce Pogba
Bruno
Greenwood Ronaldo

Positives - more energy in midfield and less chance of us getting outnumbered and carved open, Pogba plays further back and can get on the ball deep to initiate attacks with less risk, Bruno can stay further up the pitch (as he's essentially part of the front 3) and there's less risk of a big gap between midfield and attack, Ronaldo and Greenwood can drift wide to create space down the middle for Bruno, less of an issue with Ronaldo's workrate.

Most importantly it allows Bruno, Pogba, Ronaldo and Greenwood to play where they're most effective.

Negatives - lack of width (on the left Shaw can provide width but on the right we might have a problem - maybe change Greenwood for sancho in some games), only playing 2 attackers out of Rashford Greenwood Ronaldo Cavani Sancho and Martial.

It's basically our current 4231, just unbalanced - Pogba plays deeper and the rw plays further forward. In bigger, more difficult games it seems to me a much better way of trying to control games than the double pivot because Pogba has proper support and that attacking trident is such quality that the priority should be making sure that they receive the ball often and early. We can do that by moving Pogba deeper and putting another ball player in midfield (Donny).

In games where attacking workrate is more important we could switch Ronaldo for Cavani. In games where the midfield battle is less intense we could even play sancho instead of Donny and use his dribbling/forward passing to help us progress the ball quickly from deep.

Seems like it might be a good way to actually get a balanced team out of our players.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
The amount of people putting Ronaldo on the left and dropping Sancho from the strongest XI is genuinely embarrassing.

Ronaldo is a striker, that's it. Putting him left wing in 2021 is as ridiculous as doing a Spurs lineup with Kane at left wing. Ronaldo is here to be in the box and score goals.

Sancho hasn't been chased for years and had north of £70m spent on him to be a sub. He was brilliant again for Dortmund last season and is one of the most talented players in the league.