Women's Champions League 2023-2024 - the WCL continues without us

Lightbringer

With Barcelona beating Wolfsburg, it means United can not be seeded in the final (2nd part) of the Champions League qualifying round.

United will face: Wolfsburg, Real Madrid, PSG, or Juventus in 2 leg knock out round with the winner going through to the Champions League group stage.

Arsenal has an easier path to the champions league than United, they have to play 2 playoff rounds but will likely encounter less quality opponents.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
With Barcelona beating Wolfsburg, it means United can not be seeded in the final (2nd part) of the Champions League qualifying round.

United fill face: Wolfsburg, Real Madrid, PSG, or Juventus in 2 leg knock out round with the winner going through to the Champions League group states.

Arsenal has an easier path to the champions league than United, they have to play 2 playoff rounds but will likely encounter less quality opponents.

The UWCL qualification system needs a bit of work.

Lightbringer

The UWCL qualification system needs a bit of work.
The seeding is based on ranking points from several seasons, instead of how the teams performed last season. The teams from Q1 should be teamed up with the highest ranked teams from Q2, that would make more sense. Arsenal should not be seeded as United finished in front of them in the league.The current system protects and rewards the historical top clubs and makes it more difficult for new clubs to challenge. Which is the exact opposite of whats good for womens football in general! We want more clubs to grow and increase the competition to include more clubs at the highest level, not have a few select clubs collecting all glory, revenue and prize money simply because they were first to play in the champions league.

Last edited:

Grande

The seeding is based on ranking points from several seasons, instead of how the teams performed last season. The teams from Q1 should be teamed up with the highest ranked teams from Q2, that would make more sense. Arsenal should not be seeded as United finished in front of them in the league.The current system protects and rewards the historical top clubs and makes it more difficult for new clubs to challenge. Which is the exact opposite of whats good for womens football in general! We want more clubs to grow and increase the competition to include more clubs at the highest level, not have a few select clubs collecting all glory, revenue and prize money simply because they were first to play in the champions league.
It’s tough to vreak into the elite. On the other hand, it rewards those clubs who were front-runners in backing women’s pro football, it takes a bit of a long term effort to turn them out rather than just a quick flurry of money spent on a new team. Well, that’s what can be said in favor of it, at least.

It’s going to be tough for United next year, but also very interesting. Remembering all the times the men lost to Juventus in the eighties and nineties, making 1999 all the more sweet for it, I’m not so negative.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
United fill face: Wolfsburg, Real Madrid, PSG, or Juventus in 2 leg knock out round with the winner going through to the Champions League group states.
Tough route for sure, in fact it's most likely that we don't get through to the group stage given those teams have so much more experience in Europe

We should be looking to sign players with CL pedigree this summer

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Brutal for us really. On the bright side we have now got used to the idea that we can beat City and Arsenal. So just as we have to learn to beat Chelsea, we have to get used to the idea of beating these guys as well.

At least we should have the players back who go the WWC. Hmm, or we won't, unless we sort out their contracts and the ones who haven't been regular starters this season decide they want to risk spending another season on the bench.

Eric_the_Red99

Yeah, a system like that sort of makes sense for the men’s game, where things are more stable and the best teams are much more established. But the women’s game is going through a period of rapid expansion and improvement - United Women didn’t even exist six years ago! - and so the seeding structure shouldn’t be about protecting first mover advantage, or else that expansion could come to an abrupt end as potential new fans are turned off.

Lightbringer

Brutal for us really. On the bright side we have now got used to the idea that we can beat City and Arsenal. So just as we have to learn to beat Chelsea, we have to get used to the idea of beating these guys as well.

At least we should have the players back who go the WWC. Hmm, or we won't, unless we sort out their contracts and the ones who haven't been regular starters this season decide they want to risk spending another season on the bench.
Juventus would be the most preferable draw? Or Real Madrid? And those are massive clubs anyways. We need Ona and Russo + reinforcments to have a chance to deal with them! That City has failed to qualify says it all, its incredible hard to do it. Just a shame Chelsea was handed a direct route to the UCL because of Wolfsburg losing the title to Barcelona.

Lightbringer

Ouch.
Thats brutal.

So we have 25% chance to avoid these 3 teams and get Juventus instead? :D

No wonder City never reaches the UCL.

And Arsenal gets a swedish shit team in the 1st round, haha.

Lightbringer

Entraicht Franfurkt has eliminated Juventus from the Champions League. How could this affect Uniteds potential knock out round opponent with the current seeding system? As we know making the champions league is massively important!

Unlikely lad

Russo not in the CL :lol:

Jokes aside, she was their best player by quite a long distance today.

top1whoisman

Scout
Russo missing a penalty in the shootout. I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me smile a bit.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol:

Big win for Paris FC though

brian017

Russo missed the penalty? Well that’s it, I’m going to lie in a darkened room for a week. I’m truly devastated.

I don’t give a hoot if that sounds bitter af. It is what it is :lol: :lol:

Would be extra hilarious if we somehow got by Real or Wolfsburg now :lol:

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
What does this mean for us then? If Arsenal had won they would've been seeded in Round 2 but we couldn't draw them. With Arsenal out, does that give us a potentially better chance for a favourable draw in Round 2?

top1whoisman

Scout
Russo missed the penalty? Well that’s it, I’m going to lie in a darkened room for a week. I’m truly devastated.

I don’t give a hoot if that sounds bitter af. It is what it is :lol: :lol:

Would be extra hilarious if we somehow got by Real or Wolfsburg now :lol:
Yeah that’s why I’m enjoying this while I can :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Feck her. Hope she enjoys watching our girls in the CL when Arsenal aren’t playing. Unlucky :lol:

Lightbringer

What does this mean for us then? If Arsenal had won they would've been seeded in Round 2 but we couldn't draw them. With Arsenal out, does that give us a potentially better chance for a favourable draw in Round 2?

Possible opponents:

Wolfsburg
PSG
Real Madrid
Sparta Praha
BK Häcken

top1whoisman

Scout
Interesting. Arsenal’s opponents from the previous round decided to congratulate Paris FC. Some other connection I’m missing or are they taking the piss out of Arsenal?

Lightbringer

Interesting. Arsenal’s opponents from the previous round decided to congratulate Paris FC. Some other connection I’m missing or are they taking the piss out of Arsenal?

Linköping hosted that group, so its the hosts congratulating the winning team :-) And with all the swedes Arsenal have I assume most people in sweden wont hate Arsenal even if I start do it ;)

top1whoisman

Scout
Linköping hosted that group, so its the hosts congratulating the winning team :-) And with all the swedes Arsenal have I assume most people in sweden wont hate Arsenal even if I start do it ;)
Ah okay makes sense, I guess. Feck it I’ll stick to them laughing at Arsenal with us.

Too bad a good friend of mine was injured for Linköping. Not that she’s played much even when healthy.

Demon Barber

One of the things I like about women's football is that is not men's football. I get a certain satisfaction that Arsenal are out, but I do not get the anti-Russo stuff. She never let us down.