Women's Champions League 2023-2024 - the WCL continues without us

Lightbringer

1st leg | Tue 10 Oct 20:00 GMT | Leigh Sports Village
Excellent choice of ground.

Football wise it surely is better for us to play at LSV as thats what our players are used to. That the crowd noise is far more compact is a bonus. So we have the dilemma of choosing to go for maximum sporting advantage (LSV) or maximum commercial advantage (Old Trafford). As there are more CL games in the pot I would choose LSV! If we make the group stage the additional games could be at Old Trafford!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Excellent choice of ground.

Football wise it surely is better for us to play at LSV as thats what our players are used to. That the crowd noise is far more compact is a bonus. So we have the dilemma of choosing to go for maximum sporting advantage (LSV) or maximum commercial advantage (Old Trafford). As there are more CL games in the pot I would choose LSV! If we make the group stage the additional games could be at Old Trafford!
I think someone said that we actually lose money when playing at Old Trafford.

Demon Barber

Seems difficult to see why, apart from extra staffing. Probably the club charge us to play there - I wouldn't put it past them!

Lightbringer

Seems difficult to see why, apart from extra staffing. Probably the club charge us to play there - I wouldn't put it past them!
Who said that about losing money again? Was it you @Grande?

I think the losing money part was also from facing like Everton at Old Trafford. I assume we would draw a bigger crowd Vs PSG in the champions league. Also I assume ticket prices would be more for champions league than WSL.

But since if we win vs PSG we will get more big teams in group stage it makes sense to play the Q game where we are most competitive on sporting basis. Also the atmosphere will be much more hostile towards PSG if LVS is sold out since its a much smaller arena with better acoustics.

Demon Barber

I think the losing money part was also from facing like Everton at Old Trafford. I assume we would draw a bigger crowd Vs PSG in the champions league. Also I assume ticket prices would be more for champions league than WSL.

But since if we win vs PSG we will get more big teams in group stage it makes sense to play the Q game where we are most competitive on sporting basis. Also the atmosphere will be much more hostile towards PSG if LVS is sold out since its a much smaller arena with better acoustics.
Oh it will be sold out alright, and electric. Tickets for non-ST holders on sale from 10am tomorrow (Wed 20th)

Demon Barber

Is the Arsenal game sold out at 12 000 already?

Does that include a section for PSG fans? Not sure if thats a thing, but I think should be :-)
The Arsenal game is sold out. I assume at 12000 as there is no need for segregation etc.

I have no idea about an away section for PSG, but I assume so. United ticket office/website are unsurprisingly rubbish with information.

Demon Barber

Edit: there is still a "Buy Now" option on the website for Arsenal tickets. Click it and there are no seats/standing available.

Lightbringer

Edit: there is still a "Buy Now" option on the website for Arsenal tickets. Click it and there are no seats/standing available.
I saw someone traveling from Malta bought 3 standing tickets today to the Arsenal game, so it might be those tickets still "affecting the system".

Demon Barber

I saw someone traveling from Malta bought 3 standing tickets today to the Arsenal game, so it might be those tickets still "affecting the system".
Possibly. Nothing is showing available from my phone. Maybe that is the issue. I'll check on the laptop tomorrow.

I may have mentioned it before, but I got my ticket for Villa from Villa. They said they had sent an allocation to United, but United's ticket office knew nothing about that. It's shambolic.

Red Embra

Does anyone know when the date and time will be confirmed for the Leicester City home game as looking to make travel arrangements for our first game at Leigh? Thanks

JonSlu

Is the West Stand still unreserved seating? I haven't been in that stand for a while now.

JonSlu

What does that mean? That anyone entering the section can sit anywhere?
Yes, exactly that. There's only singles available in the West Stand, want to know if it matters that they're not 'together'.

Grande

I remember reading it, believe it was here. Can’t remember if I’ve referenced it myself at some point.

Ubik

I remember reading it, believe it was here. Can’t remember if I’ve referenced it myself at some point.
Was this one - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/geyse-ferreira-our-new-23.478696/#post-30950122

Ubik

United now say that they will be broadcasting the first leg live on MUTV. DAZN are the rights holders so we must have done a side deal with them. Good news.
Is it not that for qualifiers the rights are with the home team?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Yes, that was the one I read as well. @Wixqaz wrote about it. Made sense.
United are still very much beginners when it comes to using OT for the women's games. But then, so is everyone. It's only really in the last couple of years (basically since the restart after COVID) that clubs like Arsenal and Barcelona have really seen ticket sales and crowds that have added to the match atmosphere.

Turning OT matches into profit makers isn't an easy business - it's a big place, even if you don't open the highest tiers. That said, it's interesting that United are gradually adding extra hospitality options as well as standard tickets. Massively discounted from typical men's team hospitality options of course but still potential money-spinners, if they can get the offer right.

Obviously it'll be great to have OT as a real option if we do become a CL team. Hopefully having the City match there will be good practice for pulling the fans in. It does need the kind of marketing push that Arsenal and Barcelona used to get the "first-timers" there.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Not sure if this has been confirmed, but it looks like the 2nd leg will be at PSG's main stadium. Great news if true!

Lightbringer

Bad news, only like 4000-5000 tickets sold vs PSG for the UCL qualifying round, that does not feel good at all.

Right decision to not put it at Old Trafford then?

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The club have been very poor at promoting this match - hardly seen any publicity for it

The bare minimum should be some social media posts saying its a historic first ever Euro game so come and support our women etc

But yes midweek games should not be at OT

Lightbringer

The club have been very poor at promoting this match - hardly seen any publicity for it

The bare minimum should be some social media posts saying its a historic first ever Euro game so come and support our women etc

But yes midweek games should not be at OT
100% all of this. Uniteds PR team for selling womens tickets could learn from many other clubs.

And also the game is so shortly after the Arsenal home game, so perhaps people have like hyped themselves up so much for Arsenal that the PSG game takes a backseat?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
100% all of this. Uniteds PR team for selling womens tickets could learn from many other clubs.

And also the game is so shortly after the Arsenal home game, so perhaps people have like hyped themselves up so much for Arsenal that the PSG game takes a backseat?
Several factors I think. The men are in a sequence of 4 consecutive home matches. The women have three consecutive home matches. Even the keenest regulars get worn out. Certainly any marketing for the PSG match will have got lost in the flurry of emails about tickets for the men's games.

The women's team have an additional hurdle for midweek games in terms of the fan base. It's not just about family groups but family groups are a lot more common at women's games.

In practical terms - the earliest people (except for the rarities who actually live in Leigh) will be getting home after the PSG match is about 11. For a lot of them it'll be nearer midnight, even if they live in greater Manchester. Not many people with kids will do that before a school night. At least Friday's match is a 7:30 ko and no school the next day.

Lightbringer

Several factors I think. The men are in a sequence of 4 consecutive home matches. The women have three consecutive home matches. Even the keenest regulars get worn out. Certainly any marketing for the PSG match will have got lost in the flurry of emails about tickets for the men's games.

The women's team have an additional hurdle for midweek games in terms of the fan base. It's not just about family groups but family groups are a lot more common at women's games.

In practical terms - the earliest people (except for the rarities who actually live in Leigh) will be getting home after the PSG match is about 11. For a lot of them it'll be nearer midnight, even if they live in greater Manchester. Not many people with kids will do that before a school night. At least Friday's match is a 7:30 ko and no school the next day.
Thank you, that is very informative, many factors to consider. Can we move the Stadium to central manchester by teleportation at home game dates? :D

Grande

I know there are many factors to this, but I sure feel that The Club would do wisely to hype the game much more. It’s not that the club os allergic to overhyping a lot of stuff, but this seems under-ambitious to me.

Ubik

So do we make changes or stick to what we know? Going to be tough whatever we do but I just don't want us sitting back inviting pressure.

I'd be tempted to start Hinata for Toone and Malard for Geyse. Bring both on when both sides' legs are tiring. Probably leave the rest as is but Irene/Naalsund and Riviere could do with starting against Leicester.

Lightbringer

So do we make changes or stick to what we know? Going to be tough whatever we do but I just don't want us sitting back inviting pressure.

I'd be tempted to start Hinata for Toone and Malard for Geyse. Bring both on when both sides' legs are tiring. Probably leave the rest as is but Irene/Naalsund and Riviere could do with starting against Leicester.
Good questions, I do not know, I am gutted right now :-/ If we can take out Blundell that will be a good thing regardless :D

Ubik

Good questions, I do not know, I am gutted right now :-/ If we can take out Blundell that will be a good thing regardless :D
I was absolutely certain we were going to lose prior to getting our second, and wasn't totally sure we'd get the draw after they equalised, so I'm more relieved than anything tbh!

Blundell didn't have her best game but was at least offering something by getting forward, I'm yet to be wowed by George in that department... it sounds like she's going to be there permanently though so I don't know.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Whilst this is all true - the marketing for awareness of this match is nonexistent, even just to get people to watch it on TV

Precisely ZERO mentions that the Women are playing in their first ever European game on the main ManUtd socials as far as I can see

A couple of Tweets on the MUWomen page to say we play PSG but nothing about buying tickets or where to watch it

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Whilst this is all true - the marketing for awareness of this match is nonexistent, even just to get people to watch it on TV

Precisely ZERO mentions that the Women are playing in their first ever European game on the main ManUtd socials as far as I can see

A couple of Tweets on the MUWomen page to say we play PSG but nothing about buying tickets or where to watch it
Every advertising hording in tonight's game was advertising it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The club must be reading this as they eventually done some marketing for this match

But it's too little, too late

Anyway hopefully still get a decent turn out