Women's team 22/23 Transfer rumours/updates

MUW4Eva

Sigh......

Another cast off from another WSL team.

And another day passes without a CB signing....

Not exactly a good day.

More depth yes, but still very weak at the back.

We will not do anything of note, no matter how many attacking players we sign, until we bring on more defensive ones, especially CB's, we only have one match fit one (Thorisdottir), and with Millie only just coming back, it is still very worrying times.

I will of course cheer her on when Parris plays for us, however, it is a very disappointing & disheartening signing to say the least.
She can't score, can't assist, can't do anything that you would hope a forward thinking player can and indeed should be able to do.
Lyon were happy to let her go, and now indeed Arsenal were, that says a heck of a lot.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Whats been the issue? Injuries? Lack of hunger? I see on twitter that people are saying Marc must be insane making this signing, and yet the player is on the english squad :D
I haven't paid enough attention. I know she had a couple of injuries at Arsenal, but even when fit she didn't get in the team. Perhaps just didn't fit the way they play? Them signing Blackstenius probably didn't do her any favours.

I think the issue on Twitter is about United's overall strategy. We're don't seem to have the budget to fight for "top three" type signings. We don't seem to have the scouting system or imagination to spot the rising stars. Instead it looks like we've fallen into a pattern of chasing big team failures and players with injury issues - WSL players in particular.

Plus Parris in particular has a bit of awkward history. When Sampson was accused of racism by Eniola Aluko she seemed to back him by celebrating an England goal by rushing over to him. It still jars, despite her saying later that she regretted it and apologising to Aluko for not backing her enough.

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

I haven't paid enough attention. I know she had a couple of injuries at Arsenal, but even when fit she didn't get in the team. Perhaps just didn't fit the way they play? Them signing Blackstenius probably didn't do her any favours.

I think the issue on Twitter is about United's overall strategy. We're don't seem to have the budget to fight for "top three" type signings. We don't seem to have the scouting system or imagination to spot the rising stars. Instead it looks like we've fallen into a pattern of chasing big team failures and players with injury issues - WSL players in particular.

Plus Parris in particular has a bit of awkward history. When Sampson was accused of racism by Eniola Aluko she seemed to back him by celebrating an England goal by rushing over to him. It still jars, despite her saying later that she regretted it and apologising to Aluko for not backing her enough.
Parris, is just yet another cast off, a player deemed not good enough by a WSL team, but very unsurprisingly, we deem her good enough for us.

Yet another free transfer signing apparently, as Arsenal were happy to let her go.

It isn't a player who will push us onto Champions League football, just look at the calibre of players City are signing, and then compare them to ours, it is like night & day sadly and very frustratingly.

At least with Casey we would sign, or she would at least push to sign players from outside the WSL (Jackie, Ona, Heath & Press), all of these signings by Marc have been unbelievably poor and lacking in any forethought, or foresight.

Where is the ambition, where is the desire to improve??

Signing other people's cast offs on free transfers doesn't do any of that.

muller

Indeed, we are.

I'm a fan of Adriana Leon, and I think she'll be an excellent fit for Skinner's United.
From what a saw of her at West Ham, she looked lively. And lovely.

but very composed and a good finisher

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

We look to be signing Aïssatou Tounkara, 27 year old CB from Atletico Madrid. She played in the 5-1 win for France last night.

I only saw her for the first time in that game and I didn't really notice her since France were so dominant, particularly in the first half, but on paper it looks like a great signing in a position where we're lacking numbers.

MUW4Eva

Yeah about time that (a) we signed a CB, and (B) we expanded our horizons beyond the WSL for a player, so this looks like a good deal all in all, if it goes through.

Now we just need some confirmation or clarification over the statuses of other players, so we know what sort of squad we have going into this upcoming season....

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

We look to be signing Aïssatou Tounkara, 27 year old CB from Atletico Madrid. She played in the 5-1 win for France last night.

I only saw her for the first time in that game and I didn't really notice her since France were so dominant, particularly in the first half, but on paper it looks like a great signing in a position where we're lacking numbers.
Sounds good. I wish we'd known before the match of course, I would have paid more attention to her. As it is, I'll content myself with the knowledge that she can't have been bad - because I'd have noticed that!

Fingers crossed, this one's true. Or if not, then we're moving for someone else behind the scenes of similar standing and experience.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sounds good. I wish we'd known before the match of course, I would have paid more attention to her. As it is, I'll content myself with the knowledge that she can't have been bad - because I'd have noticed that!

Fingers crossed, this one's true. Or if not, then we're moving for someone else behind the scenes of similar standing and experience.
You would have been more worried if it was an Italian defender.

MUW4Eva

Hey at this stage, beggers can't be overly picky, so if it was an Italian defender, even the one that got sent off, I would take it, we are THAT desperate for CB's!!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Strong twitter rumours saying we've signed Maya Le Tissier. Which would be great news if we have - an excellent young defender with bags of potential, the kind of signing but does inject a bit of excitement Maya has already announced that she's leaving Brighton. Awaiting United confirmation now.

In (related?) news United have confirmed that Kirstie Smith is joining West Ham. She was very important to us in those first exciting seasons with Casey but didn't get much playing time last year. Good luck to her.

Crick

Strong twitter rumours saying we've signed Maya Le Tissier. Which would be great news if we have - an excellent young defender with bags of potential, the kind of signing but does inject a bit of excitement Maya has already announced that she's leaving Brighton. Awaiting United confirmation now.

In (related?) news United have confirmed that Kirstie Smith is joining West Ham. She was very important to us in those first exciting seasons with Casey but didn't get much playing time last year. Good luck to her.
Le Tissier and Millie back will be a huge improvement. Le Tissier has great feet but does lack pace so she will need Millie next to her to drop and cover. Hopefully this may spell the end for the liability that is Thorisdottir. I would rather we promoted Tara Bourne to be the back up partner to Ladd, if Mannion is out for longer with her ACL. She played well for England in the under 19 Euro's this summer even though the step up is huge.

We do seem weak in the full back positions now without Kirstie who was always a solid back up and Martha Harris if we have injuries or for the cups. Anyone know if we are promoting kids or if we are looking for a replacement. This is presuming we hold on to Batlle.

Also saw I Emma Sanders on twitter saying Maria Edwards will go to the Bundesliga. On loan I presume but it maybe permanent as we have just signed Clinton and Fuso is already on loan and some are saying she's out of contract this summer. (Details like this are so hard to find out in women's football whereas you have floods of info in the men's game.)

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

Yeah, if any club needs Le Tiss (not the mad insane male one), it is us, as with Smith leaving, that leaves us with just the two full backs (Ona & Blundell), so we are down to the bare bones in those areas (one a side), so adding Le Tiss, if that is what happens, would be really helpful.

As relying on Ona and Blundell to play in every single game (WSL, Conti Cup, and the FA Cup), would be a bit unfair on them.
At least this way, there could be a bit of rotation possible.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Le Tissier and Millie back will be a huge improvement. Le Tissier has great feet but does lack pace so she will need Millie next to her to drop and cover. Hopefully this may spell the end for the liability that is Thorisdottir. I would rather we promoted Tara Bourne to be the back up partner to Ladd, if Mannion is out for longer with her ACL. She played well for England in the under 19 Euro's this summer even though the step up is huge.

We do seem weak in the full back positions now without Kirstie who was always a solid back up and Martha Harris if we have injuries or for the cups. Anyone know if we are promoting kids or if we are looking for a replacement. This is presuming we hold on to Batlle.

Also saw I Emma Sanders on twitter saying Maria Edwards will go to the Bundesliga. On loan I presume but it maybe permanent as we have just signed Clinton and Fuso is already on loan and some are saying she's out of contract this summer. (Details like this are so hard to find out in women's football whereas you have floods of info in the men's game.)
Edwards is permanent as she never signed a FT contract. Think thats also why they don't announce their departures, they were still on youth deals. Some youths are in training, but Murphy is on holiday, I'm hoping she stays and is the FB backup. I spotted Williams, Barry, SMP and Simpson. Williams is interesting as she's already 21, you'd think this is now or never for her.

Bourne isn't good at cb yet tbh, much better at 6. I'd prefer a loan again for her. I think theres another cb coming in, so MLT might mean Ona to LB and Blundell as the bench option. Jones should leave on loan as well.

Crick

Edwards is permanent as she never signed a FT contract. Think thats also why they don't announce their departures, they were still on youth deals. Some youths are in training, but Murphy is on holiday, I'm hoping she stays and is the FB backup. I spotted Williams, Barry, SMP and Simpson. Williams is interesting as she's already 21, you'd think this is now or never for her.

Bourne isn't good at cb yet tbh, much better at 6. I'd prefer a loan again for her. I think theres another cb coming in, so MLT might mean Ona to LB and Blundell as the bench option. Jones should leave on loan as well.
Agressive, ball playing midfielders to CB is the future. I wonder if we are considering going to a 3-4-3 with Ladd and Zelem as the middle CB and then rotating Batlle, Blundell, Galton and Hansen as wingbacks? If we sign another CB instead of a FB, it could be.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

I'm a little sad to see Edwards go, even though I was expecting it. She never appeared in those "fringe of the first team" stories from Skinner and co. Hopefully she's moving into a good setup somewhere.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I'm a little sad to see Edwards go, even though I was expecting it. She never appeared in those "fringe of the first team" stories from Skinner and co. Hopefully she's moving into a good setup somewhere.
Yep, I get very attached to the youth players. Understand it but was disappointed to lose Lawson. There’s just something about being at a club since you’re like 8 that makes it mean more.

im hoping that Edwards uses the opportunity at her new club to basically grow up and mature. I do wonder how it can affect these young players when you get called baby goat etc.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Agressive, ball playing midfielders to CB is the future. I wonder if we are considering going to a 3-4-3 with Ladd and Zelem as the middle CB and then rotating Batlle, Blundell, Galton and Hansen as wingbacks? If we sign another CB instead of a FB, it could be.
I’ve no idea tbh, the expected signings this year are just weird to me in the forward line. But from what I’ve seen of Bourne she’s not an aggressive type (not an Amy T eg), if anything she’s like a Carrick type mid. If she does want to play at CB she needs to improve her heading asap.

MUW4Eva

To be honest, which youth players has Marc used?
He seems very much anti-youth players.

He had ample opportunity to use some youth players last season, especially at the West Ham away & Bridgwater games, but nope, he stuck only with the first team players, even if it meant having a depleted squad turn up.

It is why I am suspicious about this Clinton move, I don't see how she will get any games for us this season.
If as I suspect, she is a central midfielder, then she will be up against Zelem, Ladd, Moore, Staniforth, Risa, Jackie, Tooney, and Jones.
I just don't see where Clinton fits in with us, as Marc isn't one gof bedding in young players, of looking to give them a chance sadly and most frustratingly.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
4th place finish again next season then...
I do think there's a chance that City, with losing who they have may not have the same mentality next season (I don't rate the coach). But none of the signings indicate bridging the gap. None who've signed are better than what were already there.

ForeverRed1

I do think there's a chance that City, with losing who they have may not have the same mentality next season (I don't rate the coach). But none of the signings indicate bridging the gap. None who've signed are better than what were already there.
city still have a superior squad. I don’t understand why we’re not getting the best talent out there. We’re as big a club as any but our women’s team is miles off. We don’t go get the best world class talents like the others do.

TMS

As somewhat of a novice why have we let some of our star u21 players go? I thought Maria Edwards was supposed to be quite good, is the gap that enormous that she realistically wouldn’t have been able to do a job for a WSL team?

As for our signings in general if the rumoured ones come off it’s not a bad window, but it’s lacking the one or two names that make you double take and think we’re actually going for it. If we’re not making those signings and letting top prospects leave then it does make you wonder what the strategy is.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
As somewhat of a novice why have we let some of our star u21 players go? I thought Maria Edwards was supposed to be quite good, is the gap that enormous that she realistically wouldn’t have been able to do a job for a WSL team?

As for our signings in general if the rumoured ones come off it’s not a bad window, but it’s lacking the one or two names that make you double take and think we’re actually going for it. If we’re not making those signings and letting top prospects leave then it does make you wonder what the strategy is.
So some U21s have gone to the US to go to colleges and then Karna was because the family went back to Norway.

But yes, there is a massive gap between the youth game and the WSL. There needs to be another level so it’s like U18s and then u21s so it bridges better.

Some of the young players have had loans and ideally I’d have liked to have kept more of these players like Lawson. But that said, if they can sign a pro deal at a club, play every game, then because contracts are so short there’s no real reason they couldn’t rejoin later.

But if we use Edwards as the example, 20/21 she had a loan to Blackburn in the Championship and if you compare her stats to others at the same league/age (LJ in 18/19) she was nowhere near it. So with these young players right now they need to be tearing up the Championship to be anywhere near WSL level.

Grande

city still have a superior squad. I don’t understand why we’re not getting the best talent out there. We’re as big a club as any but our women’s team is miles off. We don’t go get the best world class talents like the others do.
If Tounkara, Le Tissier and Garcia come in, I'd say we're stronger than last year - especially if Millie Turner really is ready to return.

Based on signings to date? We look content with where we are, and don't have the ambition (or the money) to change that.
We have the money. Of course we do. We are opting to spend less than City, Chelsea and Arsenal. And Barca, PsG, Lyon and Wolfsburg.

ForeverRed1

If Tounkara, Le Tissier and Garcia come in, I'd say we're stronger than last year - especially if Millie Turner really is ready to return.

Based on signings to date? We look content with where we are, and don't have the ambition (or the money) to change that.
The women’s team money is small fry. We could afford the best of the best if we wanted. If Lyon can be the best we defo can.

MUW4Eva

Our scouting strategy seems to be to sign those players that other WSL teams don't want, it is very infuriating, to say the least.

What Rachel Williams is supposed to add, I don't know, we already have the sign a crap striker from a lower WSL club sorted out in Thomas.

Until a signing is fully announced then I don't personally belive any rumours.
Our signings so far have not been good ones, just cast offs.

If we were at all serious about the women's side, then we would have at the very least signed an exciting young player, there are plenty outside of the WSL, look at City with Fowler, and Denya Castellanos, two fabulous young players there with bags of potential, and who do we sign to counteract that, a 34 year old Rachel Williams........yeah......not good at all.

No chance of a top 3 place next season, something says to me, that we as a club, don't actually want a Champions League place, as that would put a lot more scrutiny on the club then if they don't play/participate in it.

We just act as if we want to secure 4th place, and do nothing more than that.

Crick

I’ve no idea tbh, the expected signings this year are just weird to me in the forward line. But from what I’ve seen of Bourne she’s not an aggressive type (not an Amy T eg), if anything she’s like a Carrick type mid. If she does want to play at CB she needs to improve her heading asap.
I wasn't suggesting Bourne was. I just want to get rid of Thorisdottir who's a liability. There's very little aggression in the women's game. I was referring to the evolution of the men's game at the top and therefore football in general.

I do think more women's teams will use ball playing midfielders at CB as there's so few forwards like Russo who are good in the air so you might as well have a more technical player at the back. We didn't seem to struggle with Ladd or Zelem at CB last year (Thorisdottir and Caldwell had most of the errors) and neither did Greenwood at City. Our passing with them was faster, more penetrating and more accurate. Technical midfielders with pace are the future at CB, height doesn't matter.

Crick

Yep, I get very attached to the youth players. Understand it but was disappointed to lose Lawson. There’s just something about being at a club since you’re like 8 that makes it mean more.

im hoping that Edwards uses the opportunity at her new club to basically grow up and mature. I do wonder how it can affect these young players when you get called baby goat etc.
Lawson just didn't have the feet or pace she was just tough and brave. I would be very surprised to see her at a top team in WSL in 5-10 years and think we missed out there.

Edwards is odd especially as we have just signed Clinton but I haven't seen enough of Clinton to have an opinion. Has anyone on here seen a lot of Clinton? She a 10 too from the glimpses I've seen.

Crick

To be honest, which youth players has Marc used?
He seems very much anti-youth players.

He had ample opportunity to use some youth players last season, especially at the West Ham away & Bridgwater games, but nope, he stuck only with the first team players, even if it meant having a depleted squad turn up.

It is why I am suspicious about this Clinton move, I don't see how she will get any games for us this season.
If as I suspect, she is a central midfielder, then she will be up against Zelem, Ladd, Moore, Staniforth, Risa, Jackie, Tooney, and Jones.
I just don't see where Clinton fits in with us, as Marc isn't one gof bedding in young players, of looking to give them a chance sadly and most frustratingly.
It was really odd especially with the youth players doing so well last year but it just another mark against Skinner for me. We have an average manager for a fun to watch but average team. It sad when you think of how little extra money we would need to improve when you consider the men's team budget.

Clinton's a 10 isn't she? So back up to Toone. Are we expecting to lose Toone next year, so we are planning for the future? We have no ambition as a club so we will continue to lose our best players as they get older and want to play in the CL.

Crick

Yes, Batlle, Toone, Russo, James was the template for me with our budget. Find the best young players out there and mould them together with the best of our own. But it requires someone with vision who knows what they are doing. I miss Casey Stoney.

MUW4Eva

I wasn't suggesting Bourne was. I just want to get rid of Thorisdottir who's a liability. There's very little aggression in the women's game. I was referring to the evolution of the men's game at the top and therefore football in general.

I do think more women's teams will use ball playing midfielders at CB as there's so few forwards like Russo who are good in the air so you might as well have a more technical player at the back. We didn't seem to struggle with Ladd or Zelem at CB last year (Thorisdottir and Caldwell had most of the errors) and neither did Greenwood at City. Our passing with them was faster, more penetrating and more accurate. Technical midfielders with pace are the future at CB, height doesn't matter.

Errrrr.........sorry, but West Ham away, in which we dropped two unbelievably vital points, was when Zelem was playing at CB, so that would lead to suggestions at the very least, that we did struggle with her playing CB....

As for getting rid of Thorisdottir, we'll that is a sensible idea, especially as we are so blessed with CB's at the moment, with Millie Turner just coming back from her own long term health issues, and Mannion out until who knows when....
So if you get rid of Thorisdottir, we will literally have no match fit CB's....

Yes there are rumours & links with the French CB, but right now, that is all that they are, so wanting to see the back of our only match fit CB, is a tad odd.....

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes, Batlle, Toone, Russo, James was the template for me with our budget. Find the best young players out there and mould them together with the best of our own. But it requires someone with vision who knows what they are doing. I miss Casey Stoney.
If it was Emma Hayes who was our manager and she was going for ex-players I wouldn't be worried, but it is Mark Skinner who isn't exactly a world beater.

MUW4Eva

Yeah, Casey was an excellent manager, who seemed to really push those above her, Marc seems far too happy with getting anyone in, rather than pushing the proverbial boat out.

His stance regrading the youth players, (anti them), is surely at odds with what the club is all about, so he needs to answer about his lack of use of them.

We just seem to be going backwards at a fast pace with him in charge sadly.