Woodward, Glazers....

GiddyUp

On bolded: unfortunately there is a deep culture of never-criticise-your-own-family-in-public, we-do-things-the-United-way sentimentality by a segment of our fans who happens to be influential within the club. This attitude is seriously holding us back.
Which segment of fans are influential in the club??? Manchester United don't listen to anyone, and that's are fecking problem.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Damn JP, didn’t have you down as a Glazer/Woodward sympathiser.
I'm not a sympathiser but I'm also not ready to forfeit common sense and claim that a braindead tweet is spot on. Also I hate the fact that many journalists and twitter personalities take United fans for a ride every single seasons, you can be critical of the Glazers without being a pawn.

JPRouve

Scout
From the Smalling thread..

How are people going to feel when we end this transfer window with a net spend of £0?
It depends on two things, are we on paper better than last year and how much cash the club actually has/had? This net spend malarkey is a bit tiring because it seems that for a lot of fans seemingly spending bigly is some sort of achievement or necessarily a good sign.

Ideally the team would improve while effectively spending as little as possible, you bring good players for as little as possible and fleece someone for your deadwoods.

Foxbatt

How do you feel if Bale takes us apart when we play Spurs? It's time the plane is flown a few times calling for the sacking of Woodward.

All those ex United players who called out against Jose should speak up against Woodward.

Giggs' right foot

How do you feel if Bale takes us apart when we play Spurs? It's time the plane is flown a few times calling for the sacking of Woodward.
Don’t see why a Bale-goal would infuriate anyone anymore than literally any other player on the planet.

JPRouve

Scout

All those ex United players who called out against Jose should speak up against Woodward.
The vast majority of fans have been against the idea of Bale to United for years, it was actually labelled as a dread by many. So it would be quite something if the fanbase makes a 180 when a player they didn't want for years joins an other club.

clarkydaz

A common enough theory (among fans) is that while Malcolm Glazer himself was a shrewd business man, his kids do not necessarily possess anywhere near the same acumen.

One might speculate (for the hell of it, more than anything - as it's all hypothetical) that Uncle Malc would have realized that simply replacing Fergie with anybody else wouldn't be sufficient, and that he might have initiated certain fundamental changes (with regard to the club's "structure") that his offspring certainly did not initiate: they basically carried on in the same vein (but without Fergie).
i wonder this regarding the ridiculous wages and contracts we continue to give out to yearly public ridicule, yet these 'savvy business men' never get a grip of it.

Inherited wealth - more wastage you dont really care about, it wasnt yours in the first place

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Embarrassing. You would think We didn't finish 33 points behind Liverpool. Imagine Real and Barca fans enduring what we have gone through in the last 7 years. The board would be run out of town.

Last edited:

croadyman

Embarrassing. You would think We didn't finish 33 points behind Liverpool. Imagine Real and Barca fans enduring what we have gone through in the last 7 years. They board will be run out of town.
Yeah just shows they are so out of touch with the fanbase and should just keep their mouth firmly shut

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yeah just shows they are so out of touch with the fanbase and should just keep their mouth firmly shut
I am not even going to get into a debate about the rights and wrong and any hysteria but it is kind of insulting this board believes it deserves the benefit of the doubt and trust of the fans after the last seven years. What planet are they on?

AsonUnique

I understand this but the club does it to themselves with all of the briefs and making things so public. They have briefed about Sancho for almost a year and Dortmund made it even more public, Pogba still hasn't renewed. If there wasn't COVID we would have likely finished 5 or 6th because we would not have had Pogba or Rashford back.

United has the biggest following in the world and the media takes advantage of that for clicks but United doesn't help themselves. Time to embrace it, calling out fans will only alienate them.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The board appear to be going against the support with these briefings, they are unashamedly bullish. They really don't give a single f*ck. :lol:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I understand this but the club does it to themselves with all of the briefs and making things so public. They have briefed about Sancho for almost a year and Dortmund made it even more public, Pogba still hasn't renewed. If there wasn't COVID we would have likely finished 5 or 6th because we would not have had Pogba or Rashford back.

United has the biggest following in the world and the media takes advantage of that for clicks but United doesn't help themselves. Time to embrace it, calling out fans will only alienate them.
Don't think that has dawned on them at all.

croadyman

They have alienated us since the day they took over this club in May 2005

croadyman

I am not even going to get into a debate about the rights and wrong and any hysteria but it is kind of insulting this board believes it deserves the benefit of the doubt and trust of the fans after the last seven years. What planet are they on?
Certainly not earth that's for sure and like you say it's highly insulting to be spoke about in such a way

Matthew84!

Time someone flew another plane over the stadium, last time Ed was in the public eye for doing his job so bad he pulled his finger out and we signed bruno and we went unbeaten for a while

clarkydaz

The board appear to be going against the support with these briefings, they are unashamedly bullish. They really don't give a single f*ck. :lol:
the worst thing they could have done is admit it annoys them. Gives a big second wind to folk who cant stand them

croadyman

Time someone flew another plane over the stadium, last time Ed was in the public eye for doing his job so bad he pulled his finger out and we signed bruno and we went unbeaten for a while
Yeah reckon it is

Infra-red

So the club are frustrated that the fans are frustrated by how useless United are at buying players. Really?

I was under the impression that we can do things in the market that other clubs can only dream of. Don't know where I got that stupid idea from.

croadyman

the worst thing they could have done is admit it annoys them. Gives a big second wind to folk who cant stand them
They have been the scum of the earth ever since getting their filthy yankee hands on this club

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Embarrassing. You would think We didn't finish 33 points behind Liverpool. Imagine Real and Barca fans enduring what we have gone through in the last 7 years. The board would be run out of town.

So the club are frustrated that the fans are frustrated by how useless United are in the transfer market (and have been for seven years). Really?

I was under the impression that we can do things in the market that other clubs can only dream of. Don't know where I got that stupid idea from.
Yup. Embarrassing for the club.

clarkydaz

They have been the scum of the earth ever since getting their filthy yankee hands on this club
Absolutely, but for years many have been defeatist saying these kind of protests dont make a difference. Theyve given a blatant green light to actually keep doing it. Thankfully

TheLord

Yes - that's a fair point: things do change (always), the landscape changes and the PL seems to just further cement its status as the biggest league in the world in terms of commercial appeal, with more teams joining an "elite" group at the top: however, I'd still say that the basic challenge for any team seeking to avoid becoming irrelevant is to remain - precisely - part of said group (whether that group comprises four teams - or seven).

In a future scenario where six or seven teams have the resources (financial and otherwise) to genuinely challenge for the biggest prizes, finishing below the top four won't have the same implications. By which I mean, it wouldn't necessarily spell disaster from either a commercial or a football perspective (the ability to attract sponsors - and players).

For the presumed top teams (based on wealth and potential in general) in most leagues, finishing anywhere from 3rd and below is considered failure at the moment. In a scenario where you're actually looking at seven "top teams", this would necessarily change - as in, the perception of both fans and potential sponsors would have to change with regard to what is considered unacceptable.
Agree with all of that but my original point was different; I was quoting someone else's post.

I was trying to allude to the fact that United (and Liverpool) could afford to be mediocre for several years and yet remain the top dog in the country in every sense, like commercial deals, press-coverage, annual revenue, social media following, global popularity, players' club of choice, etc. However, times have changed. I always like to give the example of Arsenal and Spurs. Arsenal have won so much, and have produced some of the greatest moments in English football - 13 league titles, 14 FA Cups, the Invincibles, and so forth. They are a true behemoth of English football, bettered by only two other clubs in the land. But that is history. History.

Sadly, in today's context, they are not much better than Spurs in every aspect of the game. For those of us living outside London, the two clubs almost feel like two similarly-sized football clubs today. That's such a shame. Spurs haven't won any meaningful trophy since the time of Margaret Thatcher! Spurs have won a sum total of 2 League trophies, the last one was in 1960! Forget the League, they haven't even won a meaningful domestic Cup for 30-odd years. But in today's context, the two clubs appear and feel similar - two biggish second-tier clubs from London with similar teams, similar global appeal, similar revenues, similar players' preferences, with a similar chance of finishing in the top-four this season, or winning a domestic Cup.

Well, Arsenal maybe a tad bigger still, but that is not my main point. Arsenal ceded their vast superiority that spanned across several decades, earned by several wonderful players, in a mere matter of 10-years of mediocrity.

Revan

Assumptionman
You two mostly post good stuff when it comes to the Glazers. If you didn't I wouldn't bother. Gotta remember that the Glazer children are 'below' Woodward. Papa Glazer would very likely have kicked Woodward to the curb a long time ago. The reason is that Papa Glazer - whatever you think of a magnate - understood how hard and how nuanced it was to build something big, and in particular how many lives it touched, etc. This is a guy who made plenty of dick moves to get where he got, but also understood how great wealth siphons off of a greater many and all the subtleties that such entails.

To the Glazer children, however, Woodward is the consigliere who helped The Godfather seize power. To the Glazer spawn, Woodwards their royal vizier, their Merlin. Technically, yes they're 'above' him, but on an individual level, deep down they all know they're actually slightly below. Within an extremely broad band of decision making, they do what he 'advises' (AKA once in awhile they'll get an 'Okay, we can do that' from him. BTW, Woodward is aware of and sensitive to this dynamic, too.)

I've posted this many times before with absolutely zero expectation that anyone will understand it. But I'll keep on keeping on because it's the actual dynamic at work.

Woodward is NOT the Glazers' puppet. Malcolm Glazer was comparatively extremely intelligent; intelligent to put up with/utilize someone like Woodward. His children ARE NOT. Woodward will pretend to be subservient to them/and even actually act subservient to them when appropriate; they know Woodward is smarter than they, they'll act like the boss when they can, etc etc.

It's important for the fanbase to understand these dynamics at work. This is a very nuanced situation at the board/executive level. Woodward/Judge are NOT 'Glazer puppets'.

Try to think of it more like 'A Great King' dying and leaving a bunch of spoiled heirs with no idea how to run the kingdom with some extremely corrupt advisers.
Honestly this is insane. Woodward gets paid less than Marcos Rojo yet multi-billionaire Glazers are below him. Cause logic.

It is also well known that for every big buy/sale, Ed needs the green light from Joel/Avram Glazer.

He is a high ranking employee but in the end, he is an employee and like all employees, he is expendable.

romufc

We cannot going season after season not challenging for major trophies. There will always be a reason not to do something.

It was not enough value in the market before because of the prices
Now its Covid.

Other teams seem to be getting deals done, look at your own fecking negotiators.

It is so pathetic when you know his price from months ago.

Woodenlung

Liverpool finished 33 points ahead of us last season and have now just confirmed the signing of one of the best midfielders in the world. We've sat on our hands for two months flirting with the idea of maybe bidding for our top target.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Liverpool now have Thiago, Chelsea have gone on a huge spree, Bale to Spurs on loan.

United are the joke of football now, top 4 and thats it. I've completely lost faith at this point, tired at the transfer policies in general.

On the field doesn't seem to matter when all the competitors are strengthening.

passing-wind

Why isit only when the transfer window is open that this thread is suddenly trending. If fans have a genuine discontent for the ownership this thread should be a weekly hit irrespective of the time of the season.

croadyman

Why isit only when the transfer window is open that this thread is suddenly trending. If fans have a genuine discontent for the ownership this thread should be a weekly hit irrespective of the time of the season.
Absolutely bang on and have just heard Fletcher on the radio defending Woody about the clubs transfer approach, yes I know he has to do that in order to keep his ambassador role but still makes me feel rather sick

croadyman

Liverpool now have Thiago, Chelsea have gone on a huge spree, Bale to Spurs on loan.

United are the joke of football now, top 4 and thats it. I've completely lost faith at this point, tired at the transfer policies in general.

On the field doesn't seem to matter when all the competitors are strengthening.
Yeah they expect us to just sit still and say nothing for the next two weeks and it's bang out of order asking your fanbase to do that when we are all clearly angry and frustrated right now

The Real Treble 99

I still think we’ll give in & get Sancho, that’s my only hope of us having a decent season. No way the dumb hierarchy will let this one go. Surely the stupid board would realise that no success on the field will have a great impact on the amount cash they receive. I’m 40 years old & have had the greatest times supporting United but since SAF left I never thought we would end up this badly as a club & how much it would greatly affect us fans.

vanderpants

what I find frustrating is the board are untouchable and hidden away and there's nobody accountable when it comes to the football side, nobody to vent at and ask questions, I don't think I've ever heard one of the glazers speak and Ed is just interested in speaking with chinse noodle manufacturers

croadyman

what I find frustrating is the board are untouchable and hidden away and there's nobody accountable when it comes to the football side, nobody to vent at and ask questions, I don't think I've ever heard one of the glazers speak and Ed is just interested in speaking with chinse noodle manufacturers
Mind you when he does gives interviews he only ends up saying utterly stupid things and can't ever forget that image of the Glazers cosying up to Ole before that pre season game

clarkydaz

He has learned to step away from the spotlight. If you look at our early signings when he took over he would be pictured with the players signing deals etc, now nowhere to be seen