Woodward, Glazers....

Marcus

I think it means we won't be paying £108m for a single player. Another sub-£60m signing (or two) could still happen.
Glazers won't spend a cent if they think Top 4 is safe. Biggest chance of getting Sancho if the 3 or 4 teams which finished below United spend big.

Marcus

This strategy only works if clubs start going bust and United get to pick up their players for cheap in fire sales.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The club should be boycotted, properly.

It isn't really Man Utd anymore anyway - not with these cretins behind everything.

It's Glazer Utd, they've stripped the club of it's identity, Manchester United won't exist properly again until after they've fecked off.

clarkydaz

This strategy only works if clubs start going bust and United get to pick up their players for cheap in fire sales.
Thats what Ole said early on, saying maybe they can take advantage of the market. If that was the board's gameplan they have again got it wrong

UnitedFan93

Woody updated in an article in MEN
"Together, these investments reinforce our optimism about the future, and we will continue to build on these strong foundations. However, we must also be responsible in our use of resources during the most extraordinarily challenging time for everyone in football."
I think that's all folks. Bruno and VDB and the youngsters signed. Very much along the lines of Ole's interview.
Is this the same bloke that engineered a leveraged buyout that has currently cost the club £1 billion in debt repayments, interest, and fees, and the very reason why we still have half a billion of debt on the balance sheet? How very resourceful. An absolute, hypocritical scumbag who'll go down as one of the worst figures in Manchester United's history.

Last edited:

Matthew84!

It isn't really Man Utd anymore anyway - not with these cretins behind everything.

It's Glazer Utd, they've stripped the club of it's identity, Manchester United won't exist properly again until after they've fecked off.
More people should be thinking like this, they're ruining our club, we should be spending now to make up the ground instead of acting like some small level mid table team,

Marcus

Thats what Ole said early on, saying maybe they can take advantage of the market. If that was the board's gameplan they have again got it wrong
To be fair, I think we don't know whether it will work yet. If all games are played behind closed doors for the whole season and maybe into the next, maybe it will still come to past.

Keefy18

So now we wave green and gold scarves and that would mean Woodward and Glazers just go away, because that's what fans want now.
Isn't it ridiculous if clubs were run on whims and fancies of supporters? Doesn't it show gross incompetence?
Think you miss my point is simply you got what you wanted (the supporters in general I mean) and then when it doesn't work out decide its not the manger but the board at fault.

Maybe the manager just didn't do a good enough job, quite simply.

Keefy18

Right here I would say, yes. You said every owner takes money out of their club.

That's not true at all.
I mean if they weren't making a profit from the club they wouldn't be doing it.

City owners sold 300m worth of shares without putting the bare minimum back into the club since (Ake at 40m approx and Torres 20m)... where is the remaining 230m? That's right in their pockets.

Where are all these broke, hard up club owners you speak of that are out of pocket?

They aren't doing this to keep supporters happy, its all profit driven ultimately.

Keefy18

A football club needs a clear long term strategy and succession plan. If the board are making decisions based on some perceived flag waving, then they are grossly incompetent.
I'm more getting at supports singing for one managers name, getting him, he fails and then deciding rather than blame the manager for failing blame something else...the board.

The greater percentage of our supporter base wanted Jose.

We're getting a long term plan now with Ole and folks are still unhappy.

hmchan

I mean if they weren't making a profit from the club they wouldn't be doing it.

City owners sold 300m worth of shares without putting the bare minimum back into the club since (Ake at 40m approx and Torres 20m)... where is the remaining 230m? That's right in their pockets.

Where are all these broke, hard up club owners you speak of that are out of pocket?

They aren't doing this to keep supporters happy, its all profit driven ultimately.
How would you account for this?

Marcus

Think you miss my point is simply you got what you wanted (the supporters in general I mean) and then when it doesn't work out decide its not the manger but the board at fault.

Maybe the manager just didn't do a good enough job, quite simply.
Didn't they buy the club with their own money?

Keefy18

How would you account for this?

There's positives and negatives to both sides of it in reality.

Chelsea have been funded by Roman as we all know, but the club essentially owe that money to him and if he were ever to have financial difficulties you can rest assured he'd want it back. I believe its in the ball park of 1b now Roman is owed.

Are we saying that we would like the Glazers to do something similar? It's not really a balanced scenario, its gone to the other extreme.

I don't see the relevancy in tagging us with Villa, Fulham and Brighton...they are staving off relegation or actually relegated. We've remained reasonably competitive, but not competitive enough to match the investment that has been made into the squad since 2013.

City as I pointed out have taken 300m in club shares after his tweet in Sept and only reinvested about 60m of it back into player purchases for example. The other 230m is where exactly?

Spurs have huge, huge debt now due to the stadium build and Arsenal too are in debt. Regardless of owner investment their situations aren't too different from our own.

I'll also point out Spurs and Arsenal haven't spent anything close to what we have on player signings in the last 5 years, Spurs approx 350m over five years and Arsenal approx 440m whilst we've spent 610m.

We essentially self run and whilst we can demand the owners dip into their own pockets to aide player investment for example the club doesn't need it essentially.

Strelok

Perhaps, read his "wall of tweets".

He is knowledgeable and you'll find much of the financial info you are looking for.
He's the same guy tweeted that the Glazers have taken out £838m from the club the last ten years?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Does Woodward really think that his recent comments will pacify the fan base if that's what he wanted to do? :lol:
I bet this clown has no idea who Marc Jurado and Alvaro Fernandez Carreras are but mentions their recruitment as if he is fecking DoF here and is well clued up. Idiot.

Keefy18

He's the same guy tweeted that the Glazers have taken out £838m from the club the last ten years?
Aye and you do realized we've spent over 1b in player investments too yeah?

The club is being ran at nearly a 1:1 ratio.

Strelok

Aye and you do realized we've spent over 1b in player investments too yeah?

The club is being ran at nearly a 1:1 ratio.
Do you realize if the Glazers didn't take that £1bn out we could have spent £1.5 - 2bn instead?

We sold Ronaldo for £80m and paid out almost the same in debts, interest and dividends for the Glazers in the same year. Do you realize how crazy it sounds?

And what do you mean about that 1:1? We're the single club in the world that the owners took out as much money as we spent on players?

UnitedFan93

Chelsea have been funded by Roman as we all know, but the club essentially owe that money to him and if he were ever to have financial difficulties you can rest assured he'd want it back. I believe its in the ball park of 1b now Roman is owed.

Are we saying that we would like the Glazers to do something similar? It's not really a balanced scenario, its gone to the other extreme.

I don't see the relevancy in tagging us with Villa, Fulham and Brighton...they are staving off relegation or actually relegated. We've remained reasonably competitive, but not competitive enough to match the investment that has been made into the squad since 2013.

City as I pointed out have taken 300m in club shares after his tweet in Sept and only reinvested about 60m of it back into player purchases for example. The other 230m is where exactly?

Spurs have huge, huge debt now due to the stadium build and Arsenal too are in debt. Regardless of owner investment their situations aren't too different from our own.

I'll also point out Spurs and Arsenal haven't spent anything close to what we have on player signings in the last 5 years, Spurs approx 350m over five years and Arsenal approx 440m whilst we've spent 610m.

We essentially self run and whilst we can demand the owners dip into their own pockets to aide player investment for example the club doesn't need it essentially.
The situations are completely different because the reasons for the debt are so different. Spurs have huge debts because they see the new stadium as a way to grow the club with the returns eventually paying off the debt. Our debt and the cost of servicing the debt has provided United with no benefits whatsoever, apart from some small tax breaks. It's been an incredible, astronomical waste of money that we'll never get back.

Keefy18

The situations are completely different because the reasons for the debt are so different. Spurs have huge debts because they see the new stadium as a way to grow the club with the returns eventually paying off the debt. Our debt and the cost of servicing the debt has provided United with no benefits whatsoever, apart from some small tax breaks. It's been an incredible, astronomical waste of money that we'll never get back.
Fair point re the stadium and its a long term investment, problem now is covid and we've empty stadiums. They obviously didn't know that was going to happen and it'll mean they'll be hurting financially for longer.

Our debt could technically be cleared, it would mean no investment in players then probably. Would you be OK with that? I doubt it but stand to be corrected. We're in a summer with a singular signing and folks are losing their minds.

Folks want this magical knight in shining armor to show up that will buy the club debt free, then invest in Old Trafford and invest again in training ground facilities (already done twice in the last 5-6 years) then fund a bottomless pit for player investments... we're talking something in the realm of 6 billion in reality, which simply isn't going to happen.

GiddyUp

Woodward is only part of the problem. He's a puppet - move him on and they'll replace him with another puppet who's purely financially/commercially focussed.

IMO a DOF at United will never happen - not in the capacity that we need anyway. I don't doubt that the club has had conversations with candidates but they're probably taking one look at how the club is being run and how their hands will be tied, and running.
Edwin wouldn't be a DoF. He would take Woodward's position at the club. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

sourdough satellite

Fair point re the stadium and its a long term investment, problem now is covid and we've empty stadiums. They obviously didn't know that was going to happen and it'll mean they'll be hurting financially for longer.

Our debt could technically be cleared, it would mean no investment in players then probably. Would you be OK with that? I doubt it but stand to be corrected. We're in a summer with a singular signing and folks are losing their minds.

Folks want this magical knight in shining armor to show up that will buy the club debt free, then invest in Old Trafford and invest again in training ground facilities (already done twice in the last 5-6 years) then fund a bottomless pit for player investments... we're talking something in the realm of 6 billion in reality, which simply isn't going to happen.
The Glazers should have never been allowed to load the club with debt in the first place. That is the root of the problem.

Last edited:

UnitedFan93

Why are we having to choose between clearing the debt or signing new players? How about the Glazers stop taking out £20 million dividends each year and use that money to slowly pay off the debt each year. Why are they the only owners in the league to pay themselves a dividend? Haven't they cost the club enough, both financially and in sporting terms? Of course I want to see the debt fall but not at the expense of squad/stadium improvements as we'll continue to decline as a club on the pitch. The Glazers are happy to have circa £500 million of debt on the balance sheet as the tax breaks provides bigger profits and so more money for them to pocket.

Keefy18

The Glazers should have never been allowed to load the club with debt in the first place. That is the root of the problem and the main source of fan frustration.
Leveraged buy outs are common enough within business.

It's certainly not illegal.

Why are we having to choose between clearing the debt or signing new players? How about the Glazers stop taking out £20 million dividends each year and use that money to slowly pay off the debt each year. Why are they the only owners in the league to pay themselves a dividend? Haven't they cost the club enough, both financially and in sporting terms? Of course I want to see the debt fall but not at the expense of squad/stadium improvements as we'll continue to decline as a club on the pitch. The Glazers are happy to have circa £500 million of debt on the balance sheet as the tax breaks provides bigger profits and so more money for them to pocket.
You do realize the current debt is 400m approx?

Where exactly do you think 400m is going to come for god sake? Then you want probably another 200m spent on players annually. To point out something you likely don't know the owners cleared the worst of the debt tranches in 2011 I think it was and in turn our spending improved there after dramatically on player investment.

Again, where exactly does this total of 600m come from? Is there a magical money tree hidden somewhere at Carrington or OT that you know of?

It went to crap again cause of Brexit and now Covid, are we blaming the owners on that too now?

And no they aren't the only owners taking dividends for god sake.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
How about a #GlazersOut day. The GlazersOut movement seems confined to social media and hashtags and needs more heft.

we could publicize this day and on that day people could disengage from the Glazers revenue streams (ManUtd social media, MUTV, shirt sales, etc). If coordinated on one day these would show up as a blip in the world’s consciousness and the and we could then repeat it.

I vote for Oct 6 2020 as the first GlazersOut day.
Great idea

shahzy

With you there. This isn't Man Utd anymore. It hasn't been for years. Just us fans have been oblivious to it. Economics Utd is purely a cash producing operation.

I support Man Utd and not Economics Utd. So why should we, the fans keep supporting something we didn't sign up to support. Frankly starting to care less and less about the sport thanks to these cnuts

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Sweet Jesus. The reason for those debts are vastly different. Ours is simply for the privilege of Glazer ownership. Arsenal and Spurs have built brand spanking new stadiums to increase their revenue streams. The latter is an actual investment in the future of the football club whilst the former is dead money pissed up the wall. There is zero benefit to us being taken over in a leveraged buyout. I’m not entirely sure why you keep trying to spin how it hasn’t been anything other than a disaster. You keep banging on about what we’ve spent - fantastic. The context ignores how we couldn’t afford to build again after losing the best player in the world and reaching two CL finals. The squad was in decline from 2009 onwards until SAF left due to “no value in the market”. But regardless of all that, we could have spent 6bn for all I care, it still doesn’t change the vast sums of money that have been lost from the club to pay off a debt that should never have been ours to begin with. No amount of Glazer spin is ever going to justify it.

jasT1981

Full comments by Woodward. Completely incompetent C8nt.

https://utdreport.co.uk/2020/09/19/...-of-manchester-uniteds-premier-league-opener/

“Disruption from the pandemic is continuing to create huge economic pressures from the top to the bottom of the football pyramid and, while we are fortunate to be in a more resilient position than most clubs, we are not immune from the impact. Despite this, we are delighted to have brought in Donny van de Beek from Ajax, adding further quality to a midfield already strengthened by the recruitment of Bruno Fernandes in January.

“Both Donny and Bruno are players we had been tracking for some time and their signings reflect out long-term approach to blending high-quality recruits with homegrown talent to develop a squad capable of winning trophies playing attacking, entertaining football.”

“As part of that process, we have also awarded new contracts to Nemanja Matic and academy graduates Dean Henderson, Brandon Williams, Scott McTominay and Mason Greenwood over the past year. We have also continued to strengthen our thriving academy by attracting several promising young players from across Europe, including Marc Jurado from Barcelona and Alvaro Fernandez Carreras from Real Madrid.

“Together, these investments reinforce our optimism about the future, and we will continue to build on these strong foundations. However, we must also be responsible in our use of resources during the most extraordinarily challenging time for everyone in football.”

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Look, i am not defending Glazers now and i think that with better owners we would be in much better place but regarding transfers they were not that bad like people think. I repeat; regarding transfers only. My problem with them is that they don't cover dept instead putting money into their pockets and the fact that they don't have ambition to make us champions. They are happy with top4. So i want them out as anybody.

Sure they could and should invest more but it is not that they invest small amounts of money.
Problem is Ed. He is just disaster in doing transfers. He should be the guy for sponsors and someone else should deal with transfers.

Keefy18

Sweet Jesus. The reason for those debts are vastly different. Ours is simply for the privilege of Glazer ownership. Arsenal and Spurs have built brand spanking new stadiums to increase their revenue streams. The latter is an actual investment in the future of the football club whilst the former is dead money pissed up the wall. There is zero benefit to us being taken over in a leveraged buyout. I’m not entirely sure why you keep trying to spin how it hasn’t been anything other than a disaster. You keep banging on about what we’ve spent - fantastic. The context ignores how we couldn’t afford to build again after losing the best player in the world and reaching two CL finals. The squad was in decline from 2009 onwards until SAF left due to “no value in the market”. But regardless of all that, we could have spent 6bn for all I care, it still doesn’t change the vast sums of money that have been lost from the club to pay off a debt that should never have been ours to begin with. No amount of Glazer spin is ever going to justify it.
And I've addressed that already the first bold part.

The fact that we've repeatedly supported managers with huge sums in player investment tell you the club are attempting to make the team successful and you know... "increase revenue streams"? The more successful the club is the more revenue in turn.

If the managers fail... then its on the manager. How is it the fault of the board for giving the manager what they request who in turn ultimately fails.

Second bold part I've also answered a few comments back, but just for you here it is again...

Yes we did indeed under invest for a period after losing Ronaldo and you'd probably be right that the leverage buyout was to blame... but what you then ignore is that the worst debt tranches were cleared by the board in 2011 and in turn what followed was an increase in player investment.

Fact is, for all the money taken out over the leveraged buyout... as much has been put back into player investment alone... the club is matter of fact being ran at a 1:1 ratio. Over 1b has been spent in player investment.

The club isn't failing cause of some debt in the background ffs, its moronic to try portray that as the singular reason I know this to be utter stupidity why?

Cause as you rightly point out we won the CL and made consecutive finals with the same debt hanging over us. But before you come back and tell me it was all Fergie, well lets look at another club shall we... Spurs...you know the one with the fancy new stadium you are lauding over... they too made CL final only last year with the debt hanging over them.

How is that 2 different clubs, with completely different managers, players, ideals and 10 years apart with significant debt hanging over them can be successful? I mean its impossible to your mind right?!

Maybe, just maybe... the managers in Moyes, LVG & Jose simply weren't good enough and didn't suit the club and had poor ideals.

Last edited:

UnitedFan93

Leveraged buy outs are common enough within business.

It's certainly not illegal.

You do realize the current debt is 400m approx?

Where exactly do you think 400m is going to come for god sake? Then you want probably another 200m spent on players annually. To point out something you likely don't know the owners cleared the worst of the debt tranches in 2011 I think it was and in turn our spending improved there after dramatically on player investment.

Again, where exactly does this total of 600m come from? Is there a magical money tree hidden somewhere at Carrington or OT that you know of?

It went to crap again cause of Brexit and now Covid, are we blaming the owners on that too now?

And no they aren't the only owners taking dividends for god sake.
Exactly my point; the debt has put the club in a tricky position where we're having to pick and choose. We either pay off large chunks of the Glazer debt at the expense of squad/stadium improvements, or we choose to ignore the debt in order to invest in the squad, however we're basically kicking the can down the road by choosing to ignore the debt. In addition, I don't think the club would be comfortable in undertaking a large redevelopment of OT when we're in so much debt, so OT becomes more dated.

The debt on its own isn't much of a problem, however when you factor in what our rivals are doing e.g. Liverpool, then we are declining relative to other clubs. Liverpool are successful on the pitch, improving Anfield and are building a brand new training ground. They're rapidly closing in our revenues/profits and have very little debt to service/clear. We have tonnes of debt to service/clear, in addition, owners pocketing remaining profits rather than using the money to clear 'their' debt.

Regarding the cost of the Glazer ownership; to quote the Swiss Ramble "in last 10 years they spent an extraordinary £838m on financing: £488m interest, £251m debt repayments & £99m dividends. Took out £140m loan since year-end". Of course all owners want a return, but is there anything else quite comparable to this in world football, dividends and all?