Woodward (old thread)

Should Studward remain as CE of Manchester United?

• No - he should be sacked also.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Yes - he should stay.

Votes: 137 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If it is right that Woodward leaked Moyes sacking to the press without telling Moyes first, that is disgusting behaviour. I know Moyes was a disaster, but this club should have behaved with some class. Obviously not Woodward's way. He is a clown.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Word going around the private forums is that LVG is going apeshit behind the scenes due to the lack of incoming transfers...

One thing I will say, if this is true, LVG will say it if things don't happen in two weeks

LARulz

Word going around the private forums is that LVG is going apeshit behind the scenes due to the lack of incoming transfers...

One thing I will say, if this is true, LVG will say it if things don't happen in two weeks
What private forums? I only ask cos I don't know what they are.

I hope it's true, it'll put some serious pressure on Woodward then to actually do something and the current status quo is unacceptable

Godfather

Who could blame him.
I'd actually love him to come out and give the responsible persons a bit of stick.

Not sure whether to believe that though.

REJE

In any other line of work you'd be sacked for doing such a bad job for such an important company.

Oo0AahCantona

I believe there are more than one reasons that explain our inability to sign world class players than simply blaming everything on Woodward. Of course he is a part of the problem but, as far as i know, when all fingers point in one direction there are usually others who get off way too easily. If the transfer stories are true i can only think of two reasons (besides Ed) this is taking too long: a) insufficient funds and b) poor scouting.

Are we sure this 200m warchest really exists? I know that we make way more money from commercial deals than any other PL club but how much of that is really invensted in the first team, considering our debt and that we pay annually around £60m on interst?
We pay under 20m a year on interest payments regarding the debt now. and the debt itself is bassically irrelevent due to our revenue. The money is absolutely there for a 150-200m splurge if we needed to.

RuudTom83

United can't be in for both Di Maria and Vidal, the money is simply not there for both of them.

Canuckred64

I believe there are more than one reasons that explain our inability to sign world class players than simply blaming everything on Woodward. Of course he is a part of the problem but, as far as i know, when all fingers point in one direction there are usually others who get off way too easily. If the transfer stories are true i can only think of two reasons (besides Ed) this is taking too long: a) insufficient funds and b) poor scouting.

Are we sure this 200m warchest really exists? I know that we make way more money from commercial deals than any other PL club but how much of that is really invensted in the first team, considering our debt and that we pay annually around £60m on interst?

You'll argue that Ed himself said that we can sign anyone. Well, there are many reasons why the CEO of a company that's in the stock market says things like that. Truth is that our main rivals have strengthened significantly and have dealt with their managerial issues. Does anyone really think we are willing to spend the same ammount of cash they did now that we are the ones who must build a new team? Imo if the warchest was real and we had the financial muscles to compete with City and Chelsea Gill would still be here.

Assuming that we are into Vidal, why is this taking so long? I can't imagine Woodward called Juventus and said "Hi, this is Ed Woodward speaking, is Vidal available?". Of course he's not available and you must have prepared an offer that will make them sit down and negotiate. Imo there's no such thing as a "value for money" deal for players like Vidal, Hummels and Di Maria, especially when you've gone from 1st to 7th.

Another thing is the lack of alternatives. With the exception of Rojo the players we are linked with have been the same since the start of the transfer period. Whether Woodward is a chocolate tea pot or not it would be nice to know how many names are on LvG's list and how many of them have a chance of getting here this summer. I can't blame him for not getting Hummels. With Barcelona and City searching for a CB this summer it's more than clear that Klopp won't sell him this summer.

Not really sure we were ever going to spend £200m this window, but the money is there, with revenue increasing and interest payments on the debt down to just over £20m annually.

REJE

Is he doing much wrong in the Glazers' eyes?
Compared to previous dealings, yes he should be. Since he's got the position, we've payed 4 million over a buyout clause for Fellaini, he took 18 months to nail down a deal for a BUYOUT CLAUSE for Herrera, Mata was forced out of Chelsea so it was hardly a miracle that we got him, Shaw is the only good buy I'd say, he was expensive but that was always going to be the case.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Compared to previous dealings, yes he should be. Since he's got the position, we've payed 4 million over a buyout clause for Fellaini, he took 18 months to nail down a deal for a BUYOUT CLAUSE for Herrera, Mata was forced out of Chelsea so it was hardly a miracle that we got him, Shaw is the only good buy I'd say, he was expensive but that was always going to be the case.
It was SAF and Gill that arranged Mata if you believe the rumours.

REJE

It was SAF and Gill that arranged Mata if you believe the rumours.
Backs my point up even more xD.. I mean Jesus Christ, I could fly around the world getting players for buyout clauses, the man is an idiot.

Water Melon

The Swansea game was our blessing in disguise, and LvG does really know now what he can expect from his squad in EPL. Taking into account the financial importance of our deal with Adidas, I am sure Glazers are ready to spend big. Edward has enough money at his disposal, unfortunately, the time is ticking away too fast now. I expect us to overpay but get the transfers done before September.

Last edited by a moderator:

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
What's the point in always whoring out the United name to the highest bidder if you still balk at paying a few million in agent fees? The excuses keep piling up and this is looking like the 3rd window under Woodward's watch that has resulted in our needs not being met.

And even if by some miracle we do actually bring in players we need, surely Big Ed has shown his transfer incompetence for the last time. A CEO with such a record of screwups and poorly made of investments in 1 year at any other major company would be long gone

Oneunited26

If it is right that Woodward leaked Moyes sacking to the press without telling Moyes first, that is disgusting behaviour. I know Moyes was a disaster, but this club should have behaved with some class. Obviously not Woodward's way. He is a clown.
They do not even treat the fans with any respect, so what hope does Moyes have?

We have an inept chief executive, with an ownership making tons of money, but will not break the bank when it is needed. In their eyes 120 million since summer 2013 is enough money to invest in the squad

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
That was completely ridiculous but was overlooked in the joy of Moyes leaving. I hope someone had a word with him.

DomesticTadpole

Do the owners not realise that if they sign one or two big name players they will shift loads of shirts? They could get some the money back immediately.

RuudTom83

How do you know?

It's called an investment by the way, it's how businesses operate.
I hardly think the Glazer's give a shit about buying glamorous players to please fans when Woody has just secured the biggest shirt sponsorship deal in the history of the sport. The Manchester United "business" is doing better than ever!

Judge the club on what they DO and not what you read in the papers. Since the Glazer's took over the transfer windows have been no more than a bargain hunt or acts of desperation.

RuudTom83

Do the owners not realise that if they sign one or two big name players they will shift loads of shirts? They could get some the money back immediately.
i was under the impression shirt deals don't work like that...Nike pay United a set price each year, so if they sell an extra 100,000 shirts with Vidal on the back it makes no difference.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
i was under the impression shirt deals don't work like that...Nike pay United a set price each year, so if they sell an extra 100,000 shirts with Vidal on the back it makes no difference.
Yup.

DomesticTadpole

I would imagine Nike would love us to sell even more shirts, so they get the money back for their deal. They don't give us the money for nothing. We might get the money for putting names on shirts.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I would imagine Nike would love us to sell even more shirts, so they get the money back for their deal. They don't give us the money for nothing. We might get the money for putting names on shirts.
And that would matter to us why? Considering we've already agreed a deal with Adidas?

Oneunited26

I hardly think the Glazer's give a shit about buying glamorous players to please fans when Woody has just secured the biggest shirt sponsorship deal in the history of the sport. The Manchester United "business" is doing better than ever!

Judge the club on what they DO and not what you read in the papers. Since the Glazer's took over the transfer windows have been no more than a bargain hunt or acts of desperation.
The business maybe doing well, the squad is not in good shape though

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories. So-I don't think it's because the Glazers are cheap.

So-if the money's there, what's the problem?

I think United have been hurt by two factors: (i) Fergie was so successful doing things his way and (ii) that the talent pool is shifting away from England.

First-Fergie was a genius. And so United did well by staying out of his way and allowing him to do his job. So, when his solution for MF was to make Giggs a CM and bring Scholes back from retirement-nobody gave it a second thought.

Problem is that there was no structure in place when Fergie retired to make football-related decisions. The model was to give manager full control-which may work with LVG but was a disaster under Moyes.

Moyes hinted at these issues-and I do think he was on to something regarding United's scouting system-and its need to be improved.

Second is that the pool of talented English players is very shallow. United have great appeal to English players-but I'm not sure that extends to South American, German or African players.

Also-United previously could buy good players from EPL teams. Now United are looking to buy from Serie A, La Liga and the German league-and Woodward looks out of his depth in negotiating with such teams.

Bottom line for me is that United need to build a structure that allows the club to nurture/acquire talent without depending on the brilliance of one man, and cognizant of the complex environment it now faces.

Sheikhy

I feel sorry for the chocolate teapot for being compared to Woody. What a plank he is. Really miss Gill, he got the job done. So much for watch this space. I'll watch this space when he gets sacked. Theres some people that really do not deserve their jobs and EW is one of them.

Acole9

Outstanding
As I've said many times he's just a mouthpiece for the Glazers because they're too important to speak to us fans clearly. Woodward may be good at signing new sponsorship deals but he sure isn't when it comes to signing players. This cannot be allowed to carry on, it's very unprofessional the way we handle our transfer dealings. The club need to either get in someone of the David Gill mould to buy the players or get a director of football in to work along side van Gaal.

Having Woodward in charge of our transfer business is like having the marketing man of Sainsbury's or any other company for that matter because that appears to be the only thing that Woodward is good at.

Rednotdead

Which begs the question - is he actually doing a bad job in the eyes of his bosses? Perhaps their perspective is drastically different than our$.
I really think their perspective is the same as ours, but for a different reason.

Failure to maintain a top quality squad will bring poor results. Poor results over an extended period will bring a reduction in the club's ability to generate income from sponsors. This is turn will affect the company's share price, and thus the value of the club.

The Glazers are anything but daft. They know poor performance on the pitch will eventually affect the value of their investment.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Meet Edward Woodward's bosses:

Literally no-one who has some power in/over our precious club has a clue what makes a good football player. And people are wondering why we fail to bring in better players?
Is that a pony tail? Love the balding pony tail look:drool:

roseguy64

Because what went on - or didn't go on, as the case may be, last year is being replicated this year and there's only one common denominator. The man himself said over a month ago we had deals in the offing but nothing has materialised. You can't go on for ever making excuses for him as to why players haven't been signed. We face the same problems as other clubs in getting deals done but other clubs manage to get their deals finalised whereas we don't.

Instance - the Rojo deal is being held up because of the 3rd party ownership problem. City have just signed Mangala, who was also subject to 3rd party ownership. They got the deal done. We haven't.
City have had Mangala as a target all summer and who knows how long prior to that. Not the same for us and Rojo. It's an excuse but it's true. You can't have the same expectations.

Our structure restricts us in this extent. We had continuity with Ferguson but now he's gone there have been 3 different managers. The only continuity in terms of targets are the ones we've signed this summer. What's needed is a change of structure to allow this situation to not happen again in the future. We no longer have an all-seeing man in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.