World Class players under Alex Ferguson

tentan

Poor man's poster.
During Fergusons reign at United which players would you say were world class? Feel free to add/take out.

For me

Goalkeepers

Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders

Gary Neville
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Midfielders

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Carrick
Giggs

Forwards

Cantona
Yorke
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie

acnumber9

During Fergusons reign at United which players would you say were world class? Feel free to add/take out.

For me

Goalkeepers

Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders

Gary Neville
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Midfielders

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Carrick
Giggs

Forwards

Cantona
Yorke
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie
Missing out Denis Irwin there. Cole was better than Yorke too. I wouldn’t say you’re far off though.

El Jefe

I'd take out Neville, Carrick and Yorke. The first two were damn good players but short of world class for me. Yorke had a world class sesson in 99 but on the whole wasn't world class.

Add Irwin.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

For me

Goalkeepers

Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders

Gary Neville
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Midfielders

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Carrick
Giggs

Forwards

Cantona
Yorke
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie
Good list.

Would take Neville (good but not world class), Carrick (very good but not world class) and Yorke (1 great, 1 good season) out.
Irwin in.
Otherwise I agree.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I'd take out Neville, Carrick and Yorke. The first two were damn good players but short of world class for me. Yorke had a world class sesson in 99 but on the whole wasn't world class.

Add Irwin.
Haha. I wrote exactly the same exactly at the same time!

Eddy_JukeZ

I think Neville, Carrick and Yorke were the level below World Class.

Add Irwin in and I generally agree with the list like others have said.

Irwin99

World class would be the quality to get into just about any team at the top of the game but maybe longevity should be considered. Minimum should be at least 3 great seasons and relatively close to each other? Most of the list i'd agree with, add Denis Irwin. Paul Ince had three years where he was considered one of the best midfielders in the league.

Can be a bit of a contentious point for some but I'd say Carrick's best form was between 12-13 and then a really good spell later under LVG. Not sure that's consistent enough for World class. I never bought the argument that he was always great before he really started to get more praised.

RVP's talent was never in doubt, but didn't really do it beyond one season. Yorke's stats were ridiculously good in 99 and very good in 00 but i'm not sure that's enough.

Sauxees Moi Hui

Agree with the others - Neville, Carrick, Yorke out and Irwin in.

What about Bryan Robson, or was he already in decline by the time Ferguson took over? Paul Ince?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Schmeichel and Van der Sar were world class keepers, definitely.

Gary Neville and Denis Irwin were top class players, but I wouldn’t put them in the world class category. I would put Evra in this category too.

Ferdinand, Stam and Vidic are three of the all time great PL defenders and we’re definitely world class.

Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs were all world class in my opinion. No ifs or buts about it. Bryan Robson was in his era too.

Ince and Carrick were both top class players just a smidge below world class but both fantastic. Carrick is one of the best signings we’ve made in the PL era.

Rooney, Cantona, Ronaldo, RVP and RVN were all world class. Yorke and Cole were top class. Yorke didn’t do it long enough, and Cole - while being the most underrated striker in the PL ever I think - was just a smudge below that top bracket.

Kanchelskis is a player I consider to be top class, and had world class potential.

norm87cro

Eric the King
Peter Schmeichel
VDS
CR7
Wazza
Becks
Giggs
Scholes
Keano
Berbatov
Tevez
RVP
Hughes
Saha
RVN

And yes our very own Robbo 7 who gave it all in that CWC 91 campaign. In all honesty I would have to mention our defensive parnerships of Bruce-Pallister and Vidic-Ferdinand. And offcourse Dennis Irwin.

Last edited:

BehemothTerror

IMO World Class means that they could walk into the vast majority of teams and be a starter for years

That said my list goes

Schmeichel
VDS
Irwin
Evra
Stam
Rio
Vidic
Keane
Robson
Scholes
Giggs
Beckham
Kanchelskis
Ronaldo
Rooney
Cantona
RVN

Oscar Bonavena

There were a few world class players which didn't quite work out at United (or were underwhelming at best). Barthez, Blanc (obvs past his best when he joined), Veron. Berbatov too possibly. So is the question, world class for United?

Andersonson

Schmeichel
VdS

Irwin
Rio
Vidic
Stam
Evra

Robson
Giggs
Keane
Giggs
Scholes
Beckham
Ronaldo

Cantona
Rooney
Ruud

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Schmeichel
VDS
Rio
Vidic
Irwin
Stam
Ronaldo
Keane
Scholes
Ruud
Rooney
Cantona

stevoc

Gary Neville and Denis Irwin were top class players, but I wouldn’t put them in the world class category. I would put Evra in this category too.

Ferdinand, Stam and Vidic are three of the all time great PL defenders and we’re definitely world class.

Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Giggs were all world class in my opinion. No ifs or buts about it. Bryan Robson was in his era too.

Ince and Carrick were both top class players just a smidge below world class but both fantastic. Carrick is one of the best signings we’ve made in the PL era.

Rooney, Cantona, Ronaldo, RVP and RVN were all world class. Yorke and Cole were top class. Yorke didn’t do it long enough, and Cole - while being the most underrated striker in the PL ever I think - was just a smudge below that top bracket.

Kanchelskis is a player I consider to be top class, and had world class potential.
You are underrating Denis there.

stevoc

For me

Goalkeepers

Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders

Gary Neville
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Midfielders

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Carrick
Giggs

Forwards

Cantona
Yorke
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie
Irwin and Robbo are glaring omissions. I'd say Ince was world class too in his prime, he was a brilliant player.

Yorkie had a World Class season or two but maybe wasn't World Class, if you are going to include Yorke then by the same criteria Nani had a few world class seasons.

Add Irwin.
This.

Add Robson too.

Denis79

Irwin, Cole and Robson have to be added. Probably missing someone...

Stadjer

Valencia was world class for 1-2 seasons but transfer muppets refuse to believe it because "we could have got Robben but we got Valencia!!1!1!1!!!!"
Robben was actually world class. Valancia the right winger was good but nowhere near Robben as left or right winger. I dont think Valencia was ever a world class player.

AaronRedDevil

Valencia was world class for 1-2 seasons but transfer muppets refuse to believe it because "we could have got Robben but we got Valencia!!1!1!1!!!!"
I don’t think he was even close to world class. Before the injury he was very good, pinpoint crossing. The after that he got pushed back because he was a robot in attacking. Decent right back I’ll admit.

Fabio Rochemback

In no particular order:

Ronaldo
Rooney
Scholes
Giggs
Keane
Cantona
Schmeichel
Van der Sar
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra
Stam
Van Nistelrooy

PaudieG91

Supports
Liverpool
World class is a term I've never fully understood. Players like Messi and Ronaldo have obviously been the obvious clear world class players in the past.

If you are in the top 3 or 4 in your position are you world class? I find it hard to describe most full backs as world class if that makes sense. They are incredibly important in a team but world class to me are the Iniesta, Xavi etc in midfield or the guys scoring and assisting at high rates yearly.

Andy Robertson for Liverpool has been one of the best full backs in the world for a period. But calling Andy Robertson world class seems strange?

Pughnichi

maaaate! So pleased to see another who has an appreciation for Kanchelskis. Was just coming in to add his name. He was…and still is my fav Utd player

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Neville and Carrick were the tier below IMO. Yorke as well, not world class on the whole.

Add Cole, Irwin, Robson.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
World class is a term I've never fully understood. Players like Messi and Ronaldo have obviously been the obvious clear world class players in the past.

If you are in the top 3 or 4 in your position are you world class? I find it hard to describe most full backs as world class if that makes sense. They are incredibly important in a team but world class to me are the Iniesta, Xavi etc in midfield or the guys scoring and assisting at high rates yearly.

Andy Robertson for Liverpool has been one of the best full backs in the world for a period. But calling Andy Robertson world class seems strange?
Pretty much exactly how I would define it to be fair. If you're say, top 5 (Maybe even Top 10 if we're talking CB's as thats two positions on the pitch) in the world then, at that time, you are world class - so yeah, you can definitely be a world class full back!

Chief123

For me

Goalkeepers

Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders

Gary Neville
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Midfielders

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Carrick
Giggs

Forwards

Cantona
Yorke
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie
Although he was never a success for us, Veron was world class at the time when we signed him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Neville and Carrick were the tier below IMO. Yorke as well, not world class on the whole.

Add Cole, Irwin, Robson.
Personally, I don't think Yorke and Cole seperately were World Class, but for that season or so together, they were, for me, a World Class strike force... if you believe a partnership can be World Class.

Stacks

For me

Goalkeepers

Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders

Gary Neville
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Midfielders

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Carrick
Giggs

Forwards

Cantona
Yorke
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie
take out Neville, Carrick, Yorke (did not have enough seasons). Take out Evra (level below)
Cantona has world class talent but probably not career wise due to lack of continental or international highlights but that's more politics

Stacks

My definition
1) would not look out of place in a hypothetical world XI and the player is comfortable in that company
2)The standard would not drop much if he is substituted into a position for another world class player
3) one of the all time best in his position

Andy Robertson does not meet the criteria