World Class players under Alex Ferguson

stevoc

World class is a term I've never fully understood. Players like Messi and Ronaldo have obviously been the obvious clear world class players in the past.

If you are in the top 3 or 4 in your position are you world class? I find it hard to describe most full backs as world class if that makes sense. They are incredibly important in a team but world class to me are the Iniesta, Xavi etc in midfield or the guys scoring and assisting at high rates yearly.

Andy Robertson for Liverpool has been one of the best full backs in the world for a period. But calling Andy Robertson world class seems strange?
Who would you rather play at Left Back Maldini or Messi? Which one would be better in that position?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The likes of Carrick and G. Neville would be in "World Class" level if they're in this era. I have no doubt.

redcafe_reader

Neville is never world class for me, never feel safe with him as our defender. Irwin is at least 1 level higher than him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If you go by SAF's own definition in his book he only ever had 3.
4. Which is nonsense. He obviously went with Ronaldo + Cantona, Giggs, Scholes (the 3 who never fell out with him).

If it is just goat level then only Ronaldo can be there.
If it is also 1-2 levels below and Giggs, Scholes and Cantona are included, then the other players on most peoples’ list in this thread who are around the same level absolutely deserve to be there as well.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
4. Which is nonsense. He obviously went with Ronaldo + Cantona, Giggs, Scholes (the 3 who never fell out with him).

If it is also 1-2 levels below and Giggs, Scholes and Cantona are included, then the other players on most peoples’ list in this thread who are around the same level absolutely deserve to be there as well.
I'd say Rio and Vidic would probably qualify as world class and so would Keane and Stam and then there's the mad Dane in goal

Red the Bear

Something less generic
World class during their tenure here or just overall in general? Veron was world class but left a lot to be desired in his stint with us, same with the likes of blanc and to a degree Owen who were by then past it.

If we're sticking to the former I'd like to add a seldom mentioned named,McGrath , he was class if not for his off the field drinking problems.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
World class during their tenure here or just overall in general? Veron was world class but left a lot to be desired in his stint with us, same with the likes of blanc and to a degree Owen who were by then past it.

If we're sticking to the former I'd like to add a seldom mentioned named,McGrath , he was class if not for his off the field drinking problems.
McGrath was class at Villa after he left United

Rossa

Peter Schmeichel - arguably the best all time goalie

Rio - one of the best modern centre backs in Europe
Vidic - same as Rio but completely different players

Scholes - I don’t think there’s one player that would improve on him. He may not have been better than Cavi for Barca, but I would argue that goes both ways.

Keane - because

Giggs - arguably the best left winger for several years
Ronaldo - goes without saying
Beckham
Cantona? Possibly

Honorable mentions to Rooney: Rooney was never the best striker in the PL. Even in his best season for us, RVP was better for Arsenal.

Soft spot for Evra, and he was one of the best fullbacks for three to five years.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Nope he left Cantona out.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He was great for United too if a bit inconsistencies.
Yeah I know, used to see him regularly coming out of the bookies on Chester Road and using the pay phones outside, I think he had gambling issues as well if I recall correctly

united_99

Nope he left Cantona out.
He said this a few years ago while launching one of his books and Cantona was definitely in.
He said today (i.e. a few years ago when he said it) there are only two world class players currently playing: Ronaldo and Messi.
And while he managed many great players, he would call only 4 world class under him.

The Cat

He said this a few years ago while launching one of his books and Cantona was definitely in.
He said today (i.e. a few years ago when he said it) there are only two world class players currently playing: Ronaldo and Messi.
And while he managed many great players, he would call only 4 world class under him.
Fair enough I am remembering a previous passage there then. Still think it was harsh of him.

Widow

Anyone that doesn't have Robbo in needs to go and watch him play. For a time, he was the only world class player in our side and we did very well to keep him for so long.

The Cat

Anyone that doesn't have Robbo in needs to go and watch him play. For a time, he was the only world class player in our side and we did very well to keep him for so long.
Didn't Atkinson come close to selling him to Juve at one point?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Eric the King
Peter Schmeichel
VDS
CR7
Wazza
Becks
Giggs
Scholes
Keano
Berbatov
Tevez
RVP
Hughes
Saha
RVN

And yes our very own Robbo 7 who gave it all in that CWC 91 campaign. In all honesty I would have to mention our defensive parnerships of Bruce-Pallister and Vidic-Ferdinand. And offcourse Dennis Irwin.
Saha, really? :lol:
Also, Berbatov was a fantastic technical player but he wasn't world class. Half of his United career was spent playing second fiddle to Chicharito. Couldn't even make the 7 man bench for the 2011 Champions League final.

norm87cro

Saha, really? :lol:
Also, Berbatov was a fantastic technical player but he wasn't world class. Half of his United career was spent playing second fiddle to Chicharito. Couldn't even make the 7 man bench for the 2011 Champions League final.
But he was our top scorer that season. Saha was injury prone but top class

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Being a top scorer one season shouldn't automatically qualify you as world class. Also not sure why Carrick isn't on your list when Saha is but each to their own.

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Saha is an absolutely insane suggestion. Top marks.

edcunited1878

During Fergusons reign at United which players would you say were world class? Feel free to add/take out.

For me

Goalkeepers

Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders

Gary Neville
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Midfielders

Beckham
Scholes
Keane
Carrick
Giggs

Forwards

Cantona
Yorke
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie
I'd include Irwin and possibly omit Neville, definitely omit Carras.

edcunited1878

Peter Schmeichel - arguably the best all time goalie

Rio - one of the best modern centre backs in Europe
Vidic - same as Rio but completely different players

Scholes - I don’t think there’s one player that would improve on him. He may not have been better than Cavi for Barca, but I would argue that goes both ways.

Keane - because

Giggs - arguably the best left winger for several years
Ronaldo - goes without saying
Beckham
Cantona? Possibly

Honorable mentions to Rooney: Rooney was never the best striker in the PL. Even in his best season for us, RVP was better for Arsenal.

Soft spot for Evra, and he was one of the best fullbacks for three to five years.
Rooney was world class in his prime under Fergie, without a doubt. He was the talisman and fighter who did anything and everything on the ball and off the ball.

united_99

By scoring about half of his goals in 1 game against Blackburn. His Hattrick against Liverpool was great though.

SNes

For me

Goalkeepers
Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic

Midfielders
Robson
Keane

Forwards
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

For me

Goalkeepers
Schmeichel
Van Der Sar

Defenders
Stam
Ferdinand
Vidic

Midfielders
Robson
Keane

Forwards
Van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo
Rooney
Van Persie
Mad that you're omitting Scholes. Best midfielder I've ever seen in a United shirt (I only caught the tail end of Keane's career)

norm87cro

Being a top scorer one season shouldn't automatically qualify you as world class. Also not sure why Carrick isn't on your list when Saha is but each to their own.
Listen mate its kind of subjective just like your list. Personally I never rated Carrick( pure talent wise) that highly aldo he did well for the club. I suppose its whats makes this list so fun at the end of the day

Ole'sgunnarwin

Listen mate its kind of subjective just like your list. Personally I never rated Carrick( pure talent wise) that highly aldo he did well for the club. I suppose its whats makes this list so fun at the end of the day
Did you think Saha was better than Cole and Yorke?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah I know, used to see him regularly coming out of the bookies on Chester Road and using the pay phones outside, I think he had gambling issues as well if I recall correctly
Ultimately Fergie was right in giving him the axe as someone with his unfortunately set of liabilities was bound to always be more trouble than it's worth but I always did wonder what would happen if Fergie chose to stick with him and somehow his disadvantages disappeared.

His talent was immense and im sure he'd have gone down as an all time great had he shown the restraint his innate talent deserved.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
One thing I've heard a lot in the last few year's is our players have always been shite and can't hold a candle to some of today's legends. So that must've made Fergie the absolute greatest, to win so much with rubbish players right? Wrong! He was crap as well.

I don't know why or how we won so much but he was shite and so were the players. Must've been the brown paper envelopes and refs we had in our pockets. That must be why we had 115 charges against us.

LInkash

Gary Neville is an interesting one. He pretty much is the best Premier League right back of all time right? Undisputed pretty much. Maybe Kyle Walker overtakes him when his career is over

Why have we had such a dearth of world class right backs in the Prem?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd say that Robbo probably wasn't world-class under Alex Ferguson. His absolute best (when he was clearly world-class) came a bit earlier.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I'd say that Robbo probably wasn't world-class under Alex Ferguson. His absolute best (when he was clearly world-class) came a bit earlier.
There's a element of truth in that though in 1986 Robbo was regarded as England's best player by his namesake manager