World XI in 5 years from now?

KeanoMagicHat

De Gea
Carvajal - Varane - Gimenez - Guerreiro
Verratti - Weigl
De Bruyne
Hazard - Dybala - Neymar
Think the hardest position to predict is defensive midfield, and strikers after that.
The only one to start De Bruyne in it 5 years ago, fair play to you.

Looking at the picks from 5 years ago - Verratti, Alaba, Neymar, Laporte were solid choices. Pogba was in a lot of teams and I don't think he's quite there but he's not far off it at least. The biggest failures seem to be Saul, Dembele, Icardi and Weigl, nobody would put them near a World XI now.

BlackShark_80

5 Years from now:

Donnarumma
Arnold - Dias - De Ligt - Davies
Bellingham - Rice
Antony - Foden - Mbappe
Haaland​

Last edited:

Bwuk

5 Years from now:

Donnarumma
Arnold - Dias - De Ligt - Davies
Bellingham - Rice
Antony - Foden - Mbappe
Haaland​
This is what makes it so hard to predict. How many of them were even playing 5 years go!

izec

Pretty simple question. What do you guys think will be the best XI in the world in 5 years from now?

This would be my pick:

some notes:

There are a couple of players that would also be in my current World XI, namely Neymar, Alaba, Carvajal, and maybe De Gea. Pogba and Verratti are close, but as of right now Busquets and Modric are still ahead of them.

I picked Saul over Koke. Although Koke is better right now, I believe that Saul has a higher ceiling. Also, judging by the amount of distance he covers per game, I don't think that Koke is going to have much left in his legs when he is 30.

Icardi is a controversial one. He will be 28 in 2021, his absolute prime, and IMO he has all the tools to be the best striker on the planet. The numbers he puts out (goals and assists) for a currently very mediocre Inter side are incredible.
Verratti you were right. Probably the best midfielder currently.
Alaba is very good as well, although as a CB. Whould would have thought 5 years ago.

ronaldinhoisagoat

Donnarumma
TAA - Militao - Dias - Mendy
Bellingham - Gravenberch - Pedri/Gavi
Foden - Mbappe - Gavi/Pedri

My bold predictions:
  • In a couple of years Haaland's heavy physique will make him injury prone, his direct physical style of play will not be suited to most teams/managers and players like Vinicius/Foden (more wide forwards than true forwards) will outperform him. Haaland won't be worth the contract he is on.
  • United will not have any 'undisputed' player in the World XI in February 2027.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Would say among the already established younger players, Sancho (LW), Haaland (ST), Mbappe (LW/ST), Wirtz (CAM/CM), Pedri (CM/CAM), Gavi (CM), Vinicius (LW), Frimpong (RB), Bellingham (CM), Antony (RW), Vlahovic (ST) have pretty decent chances. There are also many, many good young CBs these days but too many to pick two or so.

There will probably also be a few left who are currently in their mid to late 20s but that's less exciting.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
5 mentions of Julian Weigel on the first page alone, wtf hahaha