g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Worst buys so far this season

Pagh Wraith

Partey.

Brewster is worth mentioning just because of the insane structure of the deal. Among other things Liverpool have a three(!)-year buy-back option.

monosierra

Agree about Telles but VdB simply hasn't been good. If Havertz is entering the debate then there's no reason VdB shouldn't be.
Havertz was bought to be a prime playmaker though, much like how Bruno was.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thiago. Already crocked.
This.
So so so many people on here were losing their heads at us not signing him, yet it was obvious he was injury prone and not suited at all to Klopps style of play...and here we are.
So far him, Willian and Havertz just for the money involved have been shockers.

Red00012

Came on to read this and I was expecting non Utd players but feck me Telles ??

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Have there been any really successful signings? I’m struggling to think of them.

Jota and Watkins I suppose. Chillwell’s been decent. All of the big transfers have been slow starters.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah trying to figure out the most successful signings is harder. Jota, Watkins...? Thiago Silva?

suheilsworld

Remember Fred being our worst transfer when he was hardly getting a consistent run of games. Give VDB time.
Brewster for sure considering the amount they paid

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This.
So so so many people on here were losing their heads at us not signing him, yet it was obvious he was injury prone and not suited at all to Klopps style of play...and here we are.
So far him, Willian and Havertz just for the money involved have been shockers.
That’s so harsh on Thiago. He’s missed games because of catching COVID and because of a nasty challenge in a Merseyside derby. It’s not like he’s picked up consistent muscle injuries like Keita has.

You can’t call a player a flop for missing games due to another player injuring him.

el3mel

Have there been any really successful signings? I’m struggling to think of them.

Jota and Watkins I suppose. Chillwell’s been decent. All of the big transfers have been slow starters.
Hojbjerg in Spurs and Silva in Chelsea also I guess.

Web of Bissaka

Yeah trying to figure out the most successful signings is harder. Jota, Watkins...? Thiago Silva?
It's not really hard.

1. Hojbjerg is arguably the best, crucial to Spurs setup. Big difference maker.
2. Thiago Silva is also that good and most influential to Chelsea's defense.
-------
3. I'll put Jota next, although Pool is still that strong without him. He did provide the goals ammunitions they need when they were a bit struggling with goals and defense.

4. Next is difficult, but possibly Chillwell becoming Chelsea's permanent LB quickly. I'm aware of the fallout, but Lampard could've pick Azpi instead.

5. Maybe Werner next, provided the goals, pace and threats but inconsistent. He's a common starter in Chelsea's new 11.

Then Cavani and Telles who had their moments with goals and assists despite playing less and not starters. Can't remember other new signings right now.

The Rhian Brewster deal was one of the worst in memory, everything factored in.

Sheffield United, who have a limited budget, made him their club record signing - knowing that there was such a tiny, tiny, tiny upside.

At best he does well (at any point in the next three years) and Liverpool take him back for a miniscule profit. At worst he flops, which was always a risk, and he's yours to keep (oh and if you try to get some of your money back, you owe Liverpool another 15%)

It was the definition of a high risk, microscopic reward deal.

Son

I think he’s a good player and could be very good for us. He just isn’t getting a chance and if you buy a player for 40m, and he barely plays a third into the season he’s well on the way to “worst buy”.
Who cares how much he costs though? People always drag the “we signed him for £40 million” thing into discussions.

That was cheap & quite honestly there aren’t many players we don’t pay that for nowadays thanks to the United tax. Prices aren’t the same for us as other clubs because we make ridiculous money let’s face it.

I think he’s done just fine when called upon. He has Paul Pogba and Bruno playing in his positions and when in form they come first for obvious reasons.

lysglimt

Scout

Villa have done really well - Watkins, Cash and Martinez for about £50 million - good business. Mendy to Chelsea look good. Eze at Palace has started well. Fofana at Leicester has looked decent when I have seen him. Joto has been good of course. And Soucek at Hammers has been brilliant for them.

But yeah I agree with you - the big signings havent been a big success so far.

Bondi77

Williams had 2-3 good performances after his debut and has been a liability since then hence why Telles was bought.
It will probably work in Brandon's favour as I think English club's will be queuing up to get him on loan in Jan and he will play regular football and when Luke is fit he will play most of the time anyway.

Acole9

Outstanding
Ramsdale has been awful, looked a decent goalkeeper at Bournemouth. Getting relegated two years in a row with Premier League clubs won't look good for him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Absurd to mention van de Beek. His role has been limited because we have a number of options in midfield, and most of them are fit. He was bought to add squad depth and he's hardly a failure. He will get his chance.
Same applies for Telles. He's doing his job ok in Shaw absence.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gareth Bale. 250k wages or thereabout and is simply on the bench. Very weird signing.

Hard to look beyond Havertz right now but he's quite talented. Brewster and Ramsdale are both hilariously bad too.

Champ

That’s so harsh on Thiago. He’s missed games because of catching COVID and because of a nasty challenge in a Merseyside derby. It’s not like he’s picked up consistent muscle injuries like Keita has.

You can’t call a player a flop for missing games due to another player injuring him.
It's not really harsh, is he or is he not injured?

I can call him a flop as he's barely played, and when he did he was average.

The guy carries injuries for fun, he's brittle and has been for the past few years of his career.

Surely this would be better discussed at the end of the season?
clearly! I think in a usual season, we would get an idea of who is working out by this stage, and who isn’t. But I think this year, there are just too many variables, and any judgements are flakey at best.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Gareth Bale. 250k wages or thereabout and is simply on the bench. Very weird signing.

Hard to look beyond Havertz right now but he's quite talented. Brewster and Ramsdale are both hilariously bad too.
Bale is a loan so no fee involved, Spurs do pay a percentage of his wages though.

firstkuyttouch

It's not really harsh, is he or is he not injured?

I can call him a flop as he's barely played, and when he did he was average.

The guy carries injuries for fun, he's brittle and has been for the past few years of his career.
haha cool agenda you’ve got there. Oh you’ve got facts? To hell with the facts, he gets injured for fun! Solidly reasoned

Needham

James in a way because he's the most delusion inspiring and thus disappointment creating. Had Everton fans thinking they'd win the PL.

Hulksmash

Has to be VDB or Gareth Bale. The latter is absent for 5 Months now

SAFMUTD

I'm surprised I haven't seen Nathan Ake mentioned, he has barely played and even Stones in higher on the pecking order. Not something you expect from a 45M defender.

Champ

haha cool agenda you’ve got there. Oh you’ve got facts? To hell with the facts, he gets injured for fun! Solidly reasoned
:lol: :lol:
Why would I bother with an agenda...what's the point?!?
He's had a fair few injuries in the few seasons. Theres no agenda in saying that!!

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: :lol:
Why would I bother with an agenda...what's the point?!?
He's had a fair few injuries in the few seasons. Theres no agenda in saying that!!
He’s had COVID and one bad injury caused by an opposition player this season.

Champ

He’s had COVID and one bad injury caused by an opposition player this season.
Ah, so he is injured then. Cool.
He's missed more games through injury these last two seasons than Luke Shaw :lol:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Ah, so he is injured then. Cool.
He's missed more games through injury these last two seasons than Luke Shaw :lol:
My point is that those injuries don’t make him a flop. The first season you signed Shaw he broke his ankle through no fault of his own. Did you consider him a flop then?

Champ

My point is that those injuries don’t make him a flop. The first season you signed Shaw he broke his ankle through no fault of his own. Did you consider him a flop then?
No because he'd actually played a handful of games.
We're talking about signings that haven't come off so far. Thiago hasn't come off so far, maybe through no fault of his own but by the question asked Thiago is a flop.
Will he prove to be a shrewd signing before the end of the season? Maybe, but he will actually need to get fit and play before that happens.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Havertz has been awful so far this season.

I think Werner also has been pretty dire. Chelsea have spent £45m on one of the best strikers from the Bundesliga and are relying on a 34 year old Giroud to put the ball in the back of the net.

Willian has been trash since signing for Arsenal as well.