Worst career moves in the history of football?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Neymar. Neymar. Neymar. Automatically wins. On track to rival Ronaldo/Messi and instead hes remembered best now for partying with his sister everytime PSG get knocked out of the Champions League.

Sidwell/Drinkwater to Chelsea.
Rodwell/Sinclair to City. Probably plenty of others you could add here.

Schneiderlinn/Di Maria to United.
Shearer to Newcastle. Think of what he could have won.
Lucas Moura to PSG.

Gazza to Spurs.
It was actually a great move, he wasn't ready at all for United, his tactical awareness was close to zero and he was technically inconsistent.

SirAF

Ageist

Barthez was superb in his first season and won the PL, he was incredibly inconsistent subsequently but to infur he was shit after going to Utd just wasn’t true. That first season he continued to be one of the best in the world.
Absolutely this. I loved Barthez, was over the moon when he signed!

Nickelodeon

Hazard to Real. Too soon to call it. But I'm in early.

I'm always skeptical when a big player changes clubs at their peak/slightly after peak. There is always pressure to perform instantly and if you don't, the pressure on the player to deliver value is immense which makes it even harder to come back.

Other players I would place in the same bracket are Sanchez and Torres. Van Persie, on the other hand, was one who was expected to deliver immediately and he did.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
A few Belgian ones:

Benteke to Liverpool. Was the main man at Aston Villa, often chosen Player of the month and striking fear into opponents defences for his size. Was pretty much immediately benched by Klopp an never recovered.

Carrasco (from Atletico Madrid) and Witsel (from Zenith) to China were pretty dumb as well, given they both had options at top teams across Europe. Witsel has since recovered luckily by going to Dortmund.

RedDevilRoshi

Malcolm to Barcelona
Luka Jovic to Real Madrid
Thomas Lemar to Atlético Madrid
Memphis Depay to Man Utd

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Martín Vázquez left Madrid in the late 80s to go to Torino. Probably because of the money.
In Madrid he was one of the best and if I remember well in Italy he did nothing.
From that moment he had many problems with injuries.
He returned to Madrid later but personally I don't remember him so I imagine he was completely irrelevant.

In case you haven't named him, Falcao to Monaco didn't make much sense either, in his best moment he got carried away by the money.
Even if he tried to use Monaco as a bridge to finish in another better team, that terrible injury ended with him

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I cannot believe that the Torres myth persists. He did not become crap at Chelsea he was already crap for six months before joining them.
He was abysmal at the 2010 World Cup, and a large part of the reason Spain were so boring in that tournament (vs. 2008/ 2012).