Worst career moves in the history of football?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Drinkwater and Sidwell to Chelsea were strange ones. Sinclair to City...Wilfred Bony to City!
Is it just me or whenever a top team buy midtable players for the sole intention of added depth it almost never works out? We brought in Sidwell, Ben Haim, Pizzaro for the purpose of filling in when need be with no scope for more and come the end they weren't even trusted to do that. The only time it does work okay is when you buy a second choice keeper who knows his place.

In theory buying a second string Xl from midtable clubs should get you the required depth but it always tends to feel so unnatural when done that way. Strong depth tends to come naturally from either an academy player, a player you signed to make a starter but he didn't quite make that grade or a starter naturally dropping to that role when a superior player is signed (for example Welbeck once RVP was signed at United).

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Torres to Chelsea. From one of the best in the world at Pool to the shell he became. Shevchenko too.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Kaka to Real Madrid. Final season at Ac Milan he finished 4th and sixth in the rankings for Fifa Player of the Year, and Ballon d'or. In 2009 he was the top goal scorer at the Confederations Cup, and made the UEFA Team of the Year.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Oscar to China - WTF?

Malcom to Barcelona - Expecting to get game time in a position Messi and Dembele play in

Pogba to United - Imagine if Juve Pogba went to Madrid or Barca or Bayern instead.

Neymar to Psg - The move kind of felt like a Jedi moving to the dark side after being offered the power to be the best in the Galaxy

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Arguably every English player who went to City in the last decade?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Steve Daley who was on the verge of an England call-up moved from Wolves to Man City in 1979 for a transfer record fee( just under £1.5m which at the time was obscene), two years later after failing on his arse at City and being labelled the biggest waste of money in football history he was slumming it in America(he was still only 27) and never recovered.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Have you heard of Perica Ognjenovic? Thought not.

He was considered Red Star's biggest talent in the mid nineties, ahead of a certain Dejan Stankovic. Well, he decided to move straight from Red Star to Real Madrid, where he got no playing time whatsoever. Lost the habit of training in the meantime and never made anything resembling a career.

I am sure we could make a whole team out of players moving to Madrid to sit on the bench. Canales?

It saddens me to think about all the players who went off the radar by moving to China. Oscar, Carrasco, Guarin. However, they were all obviously after money so not sure those can count as bad moves.

Precaution

Steve Daley who was on the verge of an England call-up moved from Wolves to Man City in 1979 for a transfer record fee( just under £1.5m which at the time was obscene), two years later after failing on his arse at City and being labelled the biggest waste of money in football history he was slumming it in America(he was still only 27) and never recovered.
Same year as when Trevor Francis became the first million pound player only for it to be beaten by 500k (which was alot back then!)

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Coutinho to Barca
Carroll to Lfc
Sanchez to united
Pogba to united
Balotelli to Lfc

Luke1995

Can George Best to Fulham be called a failure ? He did enjoy some of his best football after United, but given that he was still only 30, you could have expected him to win something.

Romario from Barcelona to Flamengo in 1995. He gave up the highest level of football just to be closer to Rio de Janeiro's parties and beaches.

Michael Owen to Newcastle was really bad. To this day, him and Alan Shearer have beef.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
By career moves is the OP suggesting from footballing career perspective or monetary?

Drinkwater, Alexis, Oscar, Neymar etc. all made moves that stunted their footballing impact but undoubtedly improved their wages massively (some more than others in my example). Oscar and Neymar are probably sitting on their riches not really regretting much tbf.

jamesjimmybyrondean

By career moves is the OP suggesting from footballing career perspective or monetary?

Drinkwater, Alexis, Oscar, Neymar etc. all made moves that stunted their footballing impact but undoubtedly improved their wages massively (some more than others in my example). Oscar and Neymar are probably sitting on their riches not really regretting much tbf.
How much is Oscar earning?

Baneofthegame

Injury didn't ruin Kagawa at United. It was more a mix of Van Persie coming in and totally changing the plan plus being totally unsuitable for our team
His first season he was decent, then got a knee injury and was out of the team for 2 months, won the league, then SAF left.

Wouldn’t call it the worst career move in the history of football though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Shearer not coming here was a bit daft on his part. It didn't really impact us. Cole, Yorke, Ole and Teddy is among the best striking department a PL club has ever had, and we won it all. But for him, it wasn't a good decision. He went to his boyhood club and that's admirable and all that, but he could and should have won more than one title, and certainly should have had his hands on a European Cup. It would have boosted his legacy as well.

For a player as good as him, his list of honours is poor.

Baneofthegame

Shearer not coming here was a bit daft on his part. It didn't really impact us. Cole, Yorke, Ole and Teddy is among the best striking department a PL club has ever had, and we won it all. But for him, it wasn't a good decision. He went to his boyhood club and that's admirable and all that, but he could and should have won more than one title, and certainly should have had his hands on a European Cup. It would have boosted his legacy as well.

For a player as good as him, his list of honours is poor.
I felt Shearer could have gone to Newcastle in the latter years of his career and realised his dream, just with more medals.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I felt Shearer could have gone to Newcastle in the latter years of his career and realised his dream, just with more medals.
Definitely. 5 or 6 years at United, a bag full of titles and at least one European Cup, it would have given his legacy a massive boost. I feel he's somewhat underrated as a footballer, as he just doesn't have that high level success. He simply has the goal record, and that's a stat, it's not success.

After that, he could have gone to Newcastle at age 32/33 and given them a few good years.

Ah well. His loss. Teddy and Cole got those trophies instead.

Devil81

Agreed in that sense, though there is something admirable about going tp your boyhood club.
Plus Newcastle were seen as on to a good thing at that time, he maybe thought they'd be winning and he was doing it for his boyhood club.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Neville to Valencia was madness, zero experience to a Spanish struggling team who wave a white hanky after about 2 defeats.

Madness.

Hester_manc

Fernando Torres to Chelsea, you can understand he left Liverpool, but he was never the same again.
Di Maria to United, his heart was never in it.
Dos Santos, Tottenham. Ruined his talent there.
Balotelli to Liverpool.
Kaka to Real Madrid

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Same year as when Trevor Francis became the first million pound player only for it to be beaten by 500k (which was alot back then!)
Even though he was highly rated, and all the top clubs in England plus some of the big-hitters in Europe all wanted Francis at the time, when Forest doubled the previous highest transfer fee paid in England(£516,000 to £1,180,000) many said the game was going to hell in a handcart, then along came City to add an engine to the handcart ....

SAFMUTD

Kaka to Madrid
Ibra to Barca
Coutinho to Barca
Sheva to Chelsea

simplyared

Yes this probably takes the prize. His failing certainly put pressure on big Mal. Remember seeing a documentary about Allison where he confronts Daley on the training ground. You could see the frustration.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Griezmann/Dembélé to Barcelona by the looks of it.

Speaking of Griezmann, Paulo Futre after he left Atlético. Created countless goal-scoring opportunities for Pichichi winners like Baltazar/Manolo and a noteworthy attacker in La Liga as a whole, but mostly a journeyman after that (recurring fitness issues didn't help)...

Transfer moves from 1993 to 1998: Atlético -> Benfica -> Marseille -> Reggiana -> Milan -> West Ham -> back to Atlético -> Yokohama -> retirement.

Yann M'Vila to Rubin Kazan, perhaps? Billed as the next great French defensive midfielder by some, urged to join the Premier League by none other than Marcel Desailly in 2012, but ended up having a fairly nondescript career after transferring to the Russian Premier League outfit in the 2013.
“Yann M’Vila reads the game like Claude Makélélé, has the presence of Patrick Vieira and can pass the ball like Yaya Touré — Frédéric Antonetti circa 2012
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/14/premier-league-10-things-this-weekend

Lentwood

Neymar to PSG. Such a waste. They could win that league every year and nobody cares.

Shearer to Newcastle. Forget all the boyhood club nonsense, you can’t tell me he would rather have won a few league titles and maybe a European trophy at United. Could always have gone to Newcastle later.

Bondi77

An Australian themed one:

Sonny Bill Williams to Canadain Rugby League
Karmichael Hunt & Israel Folau to AFL
Jarryd Hayne to NFL
Michael Clarke to Commentary
Ben Cousins to Drugs
Michael Jordan to Baseball
Usain Bolt to ‘Soccer’
Fernando Torres to Chelsea
Michael Ennis to TV
Mathew Johns to New Zealand
Andrew Johns to drugs
JT to Coffs Harbour.

Bondi77

Rush to Juve
Hughes to Barcelona
Maradona to Barcelona
Schevchenko to Chelsea
Birtles to Utd
Davenport to Utd
The list could go on and on.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Torres to Chelsea. From one of the best in the world at Pool to the shell he became. Shevchenko too.
The thing with those moves is that both those players were at the end of their peak, Torres due to injury which robbed him of his pace and Sheva because of age/injury history. For that reason, I wouldn't really class them as bad for the player as they got great contracts, but rather bad moves by a club. The same kinda applies to Falcao and his loan moves to Utd and Chelsea.

For me, bad moves are where a player is still great but has put themselves in a bad position to win anything and either move away from a team that does win things and/or reject teams that will win stuff. For that reason, I would have to go with;

Shearer
Romario
Gerrard
Neymar
Kane (if he stays at Spuds)

Lee565

Zaha to United? He has turned it around again at palace but he was such a promising talent and then he joined United, fergie had decided to retire and Moyes completely snubbed him.

Powell is possibly another where it was too big of a step up too soon.

Anderson, extremely big young talent but we tried to make him into something he wasnt when he was being played as central midfielder, sometimes even a deep lying one despite him playing a more advance role for Porto, we do have a history since signing him of getting hold of players that excelled in a attacking sense and trying to make them play a more conservative role in midfield.

fps

Kaka, Coutinho, Neymar. All Brazilians....

There are some misunderstandings here. Karius going to Liverpool wasn't a bad move for him, it was a dream move for him, and we have no real indication he's gone up or down in level from the move. Dembele to Barcelona, again, a dream move, he shows nothing beyond what many pacy young wingers do. Moyes' move to Man Utd was the highlight of his career and everything he'd worked for. It went badly but it wasn't a bad move for him, he wouldn't be doing more, somewhere else, if he hadn't gone there.

A borderline case would be Griezmann, as he doesn't fit in at Barcelona at all, but is making a fortune and playing for an absolute all-time dream team.

Renegade

I feel like Fàbregas would have done much better individually at Madrid than Barca. His skill set suited Madrid more. How his Barca move turned out probably damages how he is perceived now vs the rest of the midfielders of his generation.

Mata to United. Peak years wasted with the wrong managers,position and teammates.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Ozil to Arsenal
I was thinking about him when I saw the thread.
It hurt so much when he left.Probably my favorite player during those years.
I think many Madridistas still today are upset.
He had a good contract, fully established in the team, and was a Bernabéu favorite.
And because of his father and perhaps for his haste he missed the best years.
It seems that lately he felt a little melancholic