Worst ever transfers

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Bruno Bastos.

Feyenoord fecked him off to Excelsior for being shite. Ended up being a started for Brazil in a world cup :lol: Though in Feyenoord's defense, he was utterly garbage for us.

So far Wöber doesn't seem like a good transfer for Ajax. They got rid of him in the winter and conceded the same amount of goals in the 2 games after the winterbreak as they did in the entire first half of the season. Think Wöber is a starter and doing well for Sevilla too.
It's Michel Bastos and he was 19 when he was at Feyenoord. It's only after a few years at Lille and then Lyon that he played for Brazil.

cusmarr

Supports
PSG
Milan selling Zlatan to PSG for 21m€ was not bad either

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's Michel Bastos and he was 19 when he was at Feyenoord. It's only after a few years at Lille and then Lyon that he played for Brazil.
Aaah, right Michel not Bruno, still, funny how that played out.

Denis79

I think selling Salah was fine because I don't think he showed enough in his loan spell at Fiorentina to think that he could be where he is right now. De Bruyne on the other hand was amazing in his loan season at Bremen and clearly looked set for the top, I was gutted when Dortmund couldn't get him after Gotze left, only because Mourinho didn't want to sell him then (Dortmund ended up getting Mhiki and that as they say is history).

Imagine, Reus with De Bruyne. Jebus.
crazy..

rollingstoned1

Robert Lewandowski to Bayern Munich
Nothing they could do there, Bayern wanted to poach him, he wanted to leave and they figured better get another year out of him and lose him on a free than sell a year earlier on the cheap. Aubameyang did quite well for them.

rollingstoned1

At the time I don't think anyone predicted what forlan would go on to achieve after flopping here.

diarm

Cantona is the one.

For a number of reasons, I genuinely don't believe the United story of the 90's happens to the same extent without Cantona. Part of what made Fergie so great was his ability to identify and recruit huge characters and personalities to improve the club with. Cantona was probably the biggest such character and the example he set for others who became legends of the club was immense.

Leeds let him go for a song and United go on to become the dominant force in the emerging biggest league in the world for a generation. Leeds blow their load trying to keep up and eventually bankrupt themselves and fall off the face of the footballing Earth for a decade or so.

I'm not saying either couldn't have happened if they'd kept hold of him but I believe neither would have been as drastic.

Eintracht Frankfurt went from a title contender to a yo-yo club after Heynckes ousted Okocha, Yeboah & Gaudino. Heynckes is still despised for this in the city to this day.

Chipper

Adulterer.
United Signing Peter Beardsley from Vancouver Whitecaps for £300k, playing him once in the cup then letting him go back there (for free I think?). Turned out to be a really good player.

iHicksy

David Silva to city for 25million.
Robben to Bayern 25million
Modric to Madrid 30million.
Kompany to city 10.4million
De Gea to us 12 million.

Welbeckham

Has to be from our club. Take your pick from:

Bebe
Djemba-Djemba
Kleberson
Obertan
Prunier
Depay
Zaha
Tosic
Taibi
Di Maria
Buttner
Bosnich
Schneiderlin
Darmian
Schweinsteiger
Mkhitaryan
Blind
Fangzhou

I'm sure I left out a few.
That list is extremely disrespectful for Blind.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Pogba to Juventus.
This is a yes but no one. I doubt he'd be the player he was without that move so in a roundabout way you could slightly say it benefited United now that he left then instead of continuing with them. Obviously it cost you 80m later down the line but yeah.

Cantona is the one.

For a number of reasons, I genuinely don't believe the United story of the 90's happens to the same extent without Cantona. Part of what made Fergie so great was his ability to identify and recruit huge characters and personalities to improve the club with. Cantona was probably the biggest such character and the example he set for others who became legends of the club was immense.

Leeds let him go for a song and United go on to become the dominant force in the emerging biggest league in the world for a generation. Leeds blow their load trying to keep up and eventually bankrupt themselves and fall off the face of the footballing Earth for a decade or so.

I'm not saying either couldn't have happened if they'd kept hold of him but I believe neither would have been as drastic.

United " Can we have Cantona ?"
Leeds " Only if we get Irwin in return"
United "No,can we have Cantona ?"
Leeds " *sigh* Ok then"

diarm

United " Can we have Cantona ?"
Leeds " Only if we get Irwin in return"
United "No,can we have Cantona ?"
Leeds " *sigh* Ok then"
If I remember correctly, I think they may have been the ones who placed the original phone call?

"Can we have Irwin?"

"No, but seeing as I have you on the phone, any chance of Cantona?"

"Yeah, grand".

sugar_kane

That list is extremely disrespectful for Blind.
Agreed, I’d in fact argue letting him go was a stupid decision.

Ball playing centre back with an eye for an assist who can also deputise at left back and holding mid? We could sure as shit use that now from a squad depth perspective.

He also rarely had a duff game, and had some great games against the best strikers in the Premier League.

Basically not physical enough for Joseball.

If I remember correctly, I think they may have been the ones who placed the original phone call?

"Can we have Irwin?"

"No, but seeing as I have you on the phone, any chance of Cantona?"

"Yeah, grand".
Oh,yes you're right.
Agreed, I’d in fact argue letting him go was a stupid decision.

Ball playing centre back with an eye for an assist who can also deputise at left back and holding mid? We could sure as shit use that now from a squad depth perspective.

He also rarely had a duff game, and had some great games against the best strikers in the Premier League.

Basically not physical enough for Joseball.
Agree.Getting rid of Blind was ,in hindsight, a dumb move.
He did well at CB,LB and CM.Could do with a versatile player like that now.
Would've done well under Ole.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Oh,yes you're right.

Agree.Getting rid of Blind was ,in hindsight, a dumb move.
He did well at CB,LB and CM.Could do with a versatile player like that now.
Would've done well under Ole.
Wanted him to stay and he wouldn't have made waves as a squad player. Never really got all the criticism for him just because he wasn't fast.

Josep Dowling

Di Maria. British record signing who never wanted to be here. Sold a year later at a loss of £15 million.

Mind due Lukaku costing £90m and now being seen as a super sub has got to up there as well.

Minimalist

Roma selling Salah to us for less than £40m has to be up there.
Also Utd selling Stam was a big mistake that I think even Fergie admitted himself
Only in hindsight for Salah. Nothing to suggest this goalscoring level prior to Liverpool.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is complete rubbish, without the benefit of hindsight.

The transfer smashed the previous record and stood for years.

I am sure Mbappe will look cheap in a few years too, but that transfer smashed the record and will stand for years.
Hardly. Both the most marketable footballers of their time and in their prime years (Beckham arguably tail end but still had years in him).

Beckham wasn't with the benefit of hindsight. It wasn't that much then and he was a quality player that was the best in the world at what he did specifically.

Ronaldo was shortly before the explosion in prices. Could argue that his was one that contributed to that, but some clubs obviously already had the kinda money they're spending now. He was already one of the two best players in the world. Of course there's going to be some amount of hindsight but it was clear he was only going to improve. Surely people inside the clubs knew prices would go insane, because they'd have known just how much money clubs like this have and will be predicted to have.
There has to be some hindsight for this thread. If anyone flopped they're not gonna be mentioned here.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Hardly. Both the most marketable footballers of their time and in their prime years (Beckham arguably tail end but still had years in him).

Beckham wasn't with the benefit of hindsight. It wasn't that much then and he was a quality player that was the best in the world at what he did specifically.

Ronaldo was shortly before the explosion in prices. Could argue that his was one that contributed to that, but some clubs obviously already had the kinda money they're spending now. He was already one of the two best players in the world. Of course there's going to be some amount of hindsight but it was clear he was only going to improve. Surely people inside the clubs knew prices would go insane, because they'd have known just how much money clubs like this have and will be predicted to have.
There has to be some hindsight for this thread. If anyone flopped they're not gonna be mentioned here.
Not really, Ronaldo was the most expensive for 4 years, then Bale for 3 years, the explosion in prices was probably 2017, Ronaldo's transfer was in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not really, Ronaldo was the most expensive for 4 years, then Bale for 3 years, the explosion in prices was probably 2017, Ronaldo's transfer was in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers
Fair enough. Thought it was a bit closer. More like 2016 I think but still a fair gap. Still think it wasn't enough knowing how sure fire he was and had all the attributes to continue to be, plus the marketability.
We should've had add ons after add ons.

He's looked a bargain for them at the end of the day, and I think that makes it a valid shout for it not being enough.

Luke1995

Ashley Cole to Chelsea. Arsenal had him under contract for several more years and alowed him to leave.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Di Maria. British record signing who never wanted to be here. Sold a year later at a loss of £15 million.

Mind due Lukaku costing £90m and now being seen as a super sub has got to up there as well.
You only read the thread title and not the OP didn't you?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I think you guys definitely didn’t get enough money for Ronaldo.
But we still did worse with Kroos. The guy actually wanted to stay. Still baffles me to this day.

Pass and Move

I think you guys definitely didn’t get enough money for Ronaldo.
But we still did worse with Kroos. The guy actually wanted to stay. Still baffles me to this day.
Obviously it's purely conjecture, but I wonder how the fortunes of both clubs would have differed over the last few years had he not left for Real.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Real selling Makelele was a terrible mistake.

Red Royal

I didn't like him but Chelski getting Michael Ballack for free from Bayern must have hurt the Munich fans. He had some great years at the bridge. (We off course instead got an over the hill Schweinsteiger and paid some money.)

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
I can't remember who it was, I tought it was Falcao but couldn't find it now. But there was a story about a footballer being sold for a couple of footballs for his team and then went on to become a superstar. Anyone remember anything like this?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I can't remember who it was, I tought it was Falcao but couldn't find it now. But there was a story about a footballer being sold for a couple of footballs for his team and then went on to become a superstar. Anyone remember anything like this?

I've heard a similar story, thought it was a scottish player though

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The most disappointing galactico for sure. Should have stayed with us. Too bad SAF couldn't handle him.
Fergie handled him alright. Replaced him with Ole on the right, and then sold him and got a kid named Ronaldo to take over his number.

Untd55

Ronaldo (Brazil) - Barcelona to Inter. I know it was a buyout clause, but Barcelona had the chance to sign him to a new contract. The guy scored 47 in 49 in his only season for them.

Makelele - Real Madrid to Chelsea