Worst robberies in football history?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
On the pitch, that is.

Italy - South Korea 2002, Chelsea - Barcelona 2009, France - Ireland 2009 spring to mind.

Football injustices also happened at Ghana - Uruguay 2010, Argentina - Mexico 2014...

Any suggestions?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
On the pitch, that is.

Italy - South Korea 2002, Chelsea - Barcelona 2009, France - Ireland 2009 spring to mind.

Football injustices also happened at Ghana - Uruguay 2010.

Any suggestions?
You can never convince me our CL loss to Real with the Nani red card wasn't highway robbery of the highest order. That one still stings bc with a prime RvP I believe we would have won the whole thing that year.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
United vs Porto in 2004. Scholes about three yards onside. If we'd gone through like we should have, we'd have hammered all of Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco and have another CL to our name,

Football injustices also happened at Ghana - Uruguay 2010
I keep seeing this one, but I don't really see how it was a steal. Uruguay gave it their all, played entertaining football, and in the end the hero they didn't deserve but needed took a bullet for the team, even though being internationally condemned.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Something happened in the 1966 World Cup final I am told.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
United vs Porto in 2004. Scholes about three yards onside. If we'd gone through like we should have, we'd have hammered all of Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco and have another CL to our name,
And Mourinho would never have become the special one

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Di Maria vs robbers - Cheshire

Robbers vs Di Maria - Paris.

Robbed over two legs with Robbers winning on aggregate.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Didn't Celtic beat Barca with 18% possession and 1 shot on target a few years ago? That.

Edit:

Robertd0803

On the pitch, that is.

Football injustices also happened at Ghana - Uruguay 2010, Argentina - Mexico 2014...

Any suggestions?
I keep seeing this one, but I don't really see how it was a steal. Uruguay gave it their all, played entertaining football, and in the end the hero they didn't deserve but needed took a bullet for the team, even though being internationally condemned.
Yeah Im with you on this one. Sucks for Ghana but Suarez got red carded rightly and then Ghana missed the penalty. They then failed to win the penalty shootout.

Plenty of terrible decisions against us over the years but Ill just mention the away game vs Chelsea in 2009/2010. Chelsea given a shit free kick for Ashley Cole jumping out of the way and they score and was decisive in us not winning the league.

France vs Ireland. No explanation needed.

Villa vs Sheffield United last season with the goal not given. Utterly appalling.

The entire Chelsea vs Barca semi final.

Maradonna handled a ball or something once didnt he?

Bertie Wooster

On the pitch, that is.

Any suggestions?
That whole 'football injustice' stuff about Uruguay v Ghana is so overblown.

Players handballing a goal bound shot, or dragging back a player just about to score, happens regularly. The times there's an 'injustice' is when the ref doesn't spot it and nothing is given.

The ref did spot it. A penalty was rightly given. Suarez was rightly sent off. And Ghana had the chance to win it with a penalty. The fact the Ghanaian player blew the chance and missed it and they went on to lose doesn't make it an 'injustice'.

So many call it that because they were desperate for the African country to win. And because it was 'controversial Suarez' who handballed it so that gets added to his list of 'nasty antics'. But it was hardly akin to the biting incidents. Players blocking a shot with their hands happens far more regularly. And as long as there's a red card and a penalty given, then it's not particularly controversial or an injustice.

Makelele

On the pitch, that is.

Any suggestions?
That Chelsea - Barcelona game was just remarkable in every way. The build up, the amount of controversial decisions, Essien screamer, Ballack losing it on the field, the last second goal, Drogba emotional outburst. So many things. It will be remembered in a negative light but that really was European football at its pinnacle.

Yeah Im with you on this one. Sucks for Ghana but Suarez got red carded rightly and then Ghana missed the penalty. They then failed to win the penalty shootout.

Plenty of terrible decisions against us over the years but Ill just mention the away game vs Chelsea in 2009/2010. Chelsea given a shit free kick for Ashley Cole jumping out of the way and they score and was decisive in us not winning the league.

France vs Ireland. No explanation needed.

Villa vs Sheffield United last season with the goal not given. Utterly appalling.

The entire Chelsea vs Barca semi final.

Maradonna handled a ball or something once didnt he?
That whole 'football injustice' stuff about Uruguay v Ghana is so overblown.

Players handballing a goal bound shot, or dragging back a player just about to score, happens regularly. The times there's an 'injustice' is when the ref doesn't spot it and nothing is given.

The ref did spot it. A penalty was rightly given. Suarez was rightly sent off. And Ghana had the chance to win it with a penalty. The fact the Ghanaian player blew the chance and missed it and they went on to lose doesn't make it an 'injustice'.

So many call it that because they were desperate for the African country to win. And because it was 'controversial Suarez' who handballed it so that gets added to his list of 'nasty antics'. But it was hardly akin to the biting incidents. Players blocking a shot with their hands happens far more regularly. And as long as there's a red card and a penalty given, then it's not particularly controversial or an injustice.
Yeah, and it's not like I didn't feel bad for Ghana, they were also great to watch and I realize how much it would have meant for the country and continent.

I don't remember the game in detail, but wasn't it pretty even? Loads of chances for both teams, IIRC.

Robertd0803

Yeah, and it's not like I didn't feel bad for Ghana, they were also great to watch and I realize how much it would have meant for the country and continent.

I don't remember the game in detail, but wasn't it pretty even? Loads of chances for both teams, IIRC.
Didnt Uruguay have a perfectly good goal disallowed and Ghana had a free kick given that shouldnt have been in the build up? Its a bit hazy.

On the handling the ball Scholes/Kanchelskis and Butt all got red carded for it with us and Fulham/Villa/Barca scored the resultant penalty. No injustice. Seemingly only an injustice when the other team misses the penalty.

On this subject though what about the wrong Arsenal player getting red carded for handling against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Welbeckham

United vs Porto certainly springs to mind, could’ve changed football history radically if Mourinho’s Porto didn’t progress from that tie. We may have won the UCL, but then again we had a very questionable defence and goalkeeper back then.

Also Chelsea-Barcelona is an obvious one. And again, I think that result could’ve changed a lot of things, maybe we’d have won back to back UCLs, but probably still have the same decline after failing to replace our star players and eventually losing our manager.

Internationals... Spain-Korea is the worst I can remember by far. No robbery about Uruguay-Ghana. It’s just a popular narrative, but it was a fair game and Uruguay won it on penalties.

Fitchett

What happened?
Milan won the 1st leg 2-0. In the 2nd leg, at Old Trafford, Charlton scored a screamer in the 2nd half, then Law equalised late on. Only for a defender to clear the ball, when it was a good 3 feet over the goal line ( I had a perfect view of that being behind the goal, near the front of the Stretford End). The referee waved play on, Law waved his fist at the defender, and Milan held on to "win" 2-1 on aggregate. United the holders were out, while Milan beat a young Ajax side 4-1 in the final. We were definitely robbed of a 2nd successive European Cup win.

Jezpeza

Birmingham vs liverpool worthington cup final. Same day we beat arsenal 6-1 with a yorke hat trick.

if you can find watch the highlights, in the final moments of normal time andy johnson is clean through on goal in the box, ball a couple of yards ahead of him and henchoz just takes him out from behind. It was in the days of refs bottling big decisions against smaller teams.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
The Ghana and Uruguay one was not a robbery. What Suarez did wasn’t good, but he got sent off and a penalty awarded to Ghana. It would be beautiful though to see an African country in the semifinals of the WC.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never seen a team so battered like Arsenal in the 2005 Cup Final. They mist have genuinely been a tiny but embarrassed to lift the trophy that day!

Charlie Foley

On the pitch, that is.

Any suggestions?
I don’t think Ghana Uruguay was an injustice. The free kick leading up to the incident was a dive. Also the first shot that Suarez blocks with his knees, Appiah was offside. The injustice would have been Ghana winning that match

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Haven’t seen it in awhile but the free kick for Ghana was from a dive and I’m sure the header before the handball came from an offside position.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Barcelona PSG 6-1. We deserved the loss but it really was a robbery.