Worst robberies in football history?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A bunch of American lepercons stole one of the most famous clubs in the world some 15 years ago.

Idxomer

Cakir robbing SAF in his last CL campaign, I really thought we would go far that year.

I think we did outplay PSG this season but in 2019 we robbed them, can't remember any decent football from us in both games.

Gazza

That whole 'football injustice' stuff about Uruguay v Ghana is so overblown.

Players handballing a goal bound shot, or dragging back a player just about to score, happens regularly. The times there's an 'injustice' is when the ref doesn't spot it and nothing is given.

The ref did spot it. A penalty was rightly given. Suarez was rightly sent off. And Ghana had the chance to win it with a penalty. The fact the Ghanaian player blew the chance and missed it and they went on to lose doesn't make it an 'injustice'.

So many call it that because they were desperate for the African country to win. And because it was 'controversial Suarez' who handballed it so that gets added to his list of 'nasty antics'. But it was hardly akin to the biting incidents. Players blocking a shot with their hands happens far more regularly. And as long as there's a red card and a penalty given, then it's not particularly controversial or an injustice.
You’re talking about punishment, not justice.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The Argentina Mexico game was 2010 but it was fantastically silly cause they showed the goal that should’ve been disallowed on the screens in the stadium and the Mexican players were basically telling the referee to watch the footage.

VAR before VAR was a thing.

They dun’ fecked up.

Giggs86

Our game vs Chelsea in 2010 when Drogba scored from a 2 yards blatant offside to essentially win them the title.

Nani's red card vs. Madrid.

Rafael's red card vs. Bayern.

Arsenal FA final.

Chelsea-Barcelona, S.Korea-Italy - both matches were fixed by UEFA and FIFA for obvious reasons, I am 100% positive.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Our game vs Chelsea in 2010 when Drogba scored from a 2 yards blatant offside to essentially win them the title.

Nani's red card vs. Madrid.

Rafael's red card vs. Bayern.

Arsenal FA final.

Chelsea-Barcelona, S.Korea-Italy - both matches were fixed by UEFA and FIFA for obvious reasons, I am 100% positive.
Your goal was handball in that match.

always_hoping

One i think that hasn't been mentioned yet was the 2007 FA Cup final. 0-0 in extra time then this happened.

No goal line tech back then and Chelsea went on to win 1-0. Lucky Mourinho against United once more.

Last edited:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
One think that hasn't been mentioned yet was the 2007 FA Cup final. 0-0 in extra time then this happened.

No goal line tech back then and Chelsea went on to win 1-0. Lucky Mourinho against United once more.
We gonna ignore giggs sliding into him forcing him over the line ?

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
England Germanyl 1966
England Germany 2010

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
No Robbery There.
I was 14 years old & it was the best day of my young life.
Geoff Hurst is a God.
Two deciding illegal goals in the World Cup Final , how is it not a robbery?

Ixion

The FA Cup Final against Arsenal was the first thing that sprang to mind.

And the Barca win over Chelsea really was a disgrace.

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Italian Serie A 1997/98. In Italy still a big thing to talk about.

Haddock

Has anyone mentioned Madrid beating Juve 4-3 on aggregate despite losing 1-3 at the Bernabeau? The 'trashcan for a heart' game.

El Zoido

Arse (FAC final 2005)
Pompey (FAC QF 2008)
The two exact games that came to my mind upon reading this thread title.

Speaking of smash and grab’s in 1999, I presume the CL final has been mentioned?
I rewatched the entire game start to finish a couple of months ago, it wasn’t as one-sided as I remembered. We were definitely second best during the game, but did grow in to it and had some good chances of our own.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Perhaps the worst ones were those from certain European ties in the 1970s and 1980s. Dundee United were dicked over in the 1984 European Cup Semi Final against Roma by a corrupt ref. I've always found it bizarre that Marseille were allowed to keep the CL title in 1993 despite the proof of evidence of match fixing in the run-up to the final.

Italian Serie A 1997/98. In Italy still a big thing to talk about.
That's a good one.

dal

You can never convince me our CL loss to Real with the Nani red card wasn't highway robbery of the highest order. That one still stings bc with a prime RvP I believe we would have won the whole thing that year.
comes to my mind all the time.

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Perhaps the worst ones were those from certain European ties in the 1970s and 1980s. Dundee United were dicked over in the 1984 European Cup Semi Final against Roma by a corrupt ref. I've always found it bizarre that Marseille were allowed to keep the CL title in 1993 despite the proof of evidence of match fixing in the run-up to the final.

That's a good one.
Juventus robbed at least 10 matches (penalties, handballs, ghost goals).
The one everybody remeber is the "Scudetto Match"... 26/04/1998 when the ref didn't give a huge penalty to Ronaldo (in his prime, amazing striker...)

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Chesterfield v Middlesbrough FA Cup Semi at Old Trafford in 1997... I was there with my dad. Chesterfield of the old Division 2 were on course to play Chelsea in the final.

Boro were down to ten men and Chesterfield were leading. Jonathan Howard had a goal ruled out by David Ellery after the ball had crossed the line. The linesman appeared to give the goal but Ellery overuled him.

Boro eventually levelled to make it 2 v 2 and take it to extra time where a last gasp Chesterfield equaliser made it 3 v 3. Chesterfield lost the replay 3 nil.

Ellery went on to write in his autobiography it was his single biggest mistake. History would have been made as Chesterfield would have been the only side from the third tier to make the final

Highlights

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Despite I never liked Boavista as a club, I remember a UEFA Cup match between Boavista and AS Roma. It was until now the most blatant refereeing ever: one clear goal being ruled by offside, and there was this brazilian defender, António Carlos Zago, who spent the entire game tackling, and spitting in Boavista players. Long story short he headbutted aand spitted a Boavista player and the ref sent off the Boavista player.

P.S. For those who don't remember who was ANtóni Zago, he would make you think Pepe would worth a Fair Play award in comparison :lol:

Classical Mechanic

Has anyone mentioned Madrid beating Juve 4-3 on aggregate despite losing 1-3 at the Bernabeau? The 'trashcan for a heart' game.
Wasn't that faux outrage though? Can't remember the full game but it was a clear penalty that Juventus expected not to be awarded because Buffon was really old and had never won a European Cup.

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
What was this?
Hi Robert, read the 3rd post before yours... It's impossible to describe how that league was in few words (but I could tell you every match robbed by Juve of that season, I remember everything)
as an Interista, it still hurts: Inter 1997/98 is still one of the most loved ever by all of us nerazzurri.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What was this?
An entire season long, blatant, not-even-trying-to-hide-it, absolute robbery of the italian serie A title and mockery of the competition itself

It was juventus' centennial :nervous:

Classical Mechanic

That's a good one.
You have to wonder about lots of games in the more distant past for corruption and bent refs.

Robertd0803

Hi Robert, read the 3rd post before yours... It's impossible to describe how that league was in few words (but I could tell you every match robbed by Juve of that season, I remember everything)
as an Interista, it still hurts: Inter 1997/98 is still one of the most loved ever by all of us nerazzurri.
Ah cool thanks :)