Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

sp_107

Still need 3 signings minimum.

LB CB and Sancho.

And a whole lot of scrap players sold/allowed to leave on a free/paid off to leave.

When all of Smalling/Jones/Mata/Lingard/Pereira are gone I'll rejoice and Ole should be able to reallocate the wages atleast to players that contribute something.

I still think we are short of a good DM to cover Matic

tombombadil

It's taken you until now to realise this?

Michael Edwards is the genius behind Liverpool's transformation from laughing stock to world champions. I would suggest United fans read up on him to understand why we've spent £1BN net with virtually bugger all in the cabinet to show for it and Liverpool have spent maybe £250m/£300m net and have won everything

In fact, I'll make it easier, here's a full list of all of the in's and out's at Liverpool since Edwards took on the role of Sporting Director

IN

Jurgen Klopp - Manager

Sadio Mane - £37m
Loris Karius - £4m
Joel Matip - FREE
Ragnar Klavan - £4m
Georginio Wijnaldum - £25m
Dominic Solanke - £4m
Sadio Mane - £37m
Mo Salah - £38m
Andy Robertson - £8m
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - £35m
Virgil van Dijk - £75m
Naby Keita - £53m
Fabinho - £40m
Xherdan Shaqiri - £13m
Alisson Becker - £67m
Adrian - FREE
Takumi Minamino - £7.25m
Kostas Tsimikas - £11.75m
Thiago - £20m

Total = £442m

OUT

Sergi Canos - £2.5m
Jordon Ibe - £16m
Martin Skrtel - £5m
Joe Allen - £14m
Brad Smith - £3m
Christian Benteke - £28m
Luis Alberto - £4m
Tiago Illori - £4m
Lucas Leiva - £5m
Kevin Stewart - £8m
Mamdou Sakho - £25m
Philippe Coutinho - £142m
Danny Ward - £12.5m
Dominic Solanke - £20m
Ragnar Klavan - £1m

Rafael Camacho - £5m
Danny Ings - £20m
Simon Mignolet - £6m
Ryan Kent - £6.5m
Dejan Lovren - £10.8m
Ovie Ejaria - £3.5m

Total = £341.8m
Total NET = £100.2m

Keep on blaming the Glazers if you like...I don't like them either, however, the reality is it's the FOOTBALL-side of the business that has failed at Manchester Utd over the last 15yrs or so. If you want my opinion, and I can't be bothered going into all of the detail as this post is long enough, I would say the following have contributed to our struggles;

- Alex Ferguson's failure to freshen up an ageing side
- Alex Ferguson's nepotism in setting-up our Scouting department
- Alex Ferguson's negligence in allowing the Scouting department at Utd to fall way behind other clubs
- Alex Fergsuon's failure to tolerate agents, who have to now be accepted as part of the game
- Ed Woodward's ridiculous 'Adult Disneyland' approach to the rebuild
- Ed Woodward throwing ridiculous wages at players
- Ed Woodward's desperation to sign 'names', as opposed to less marketable players who can actually play football
- Short-termism from Ed Woodward with his managerial appointments
- Short-termism from our managers themselves, perhaps looking out for themselves rather than the long-term health of the club
- Ed Woodward giving TOO MUCH power to players and agents

That all being said, the last 18-mnths (since Ole took over) have been very refreshing and it finally looks to me like we're making good decisions again. The problem is, we've made so many bad decisions over the years it's going to take maybe 3/4 summer windows to undo them all
I agree with most of that. Except some parts regarding Sir Alex Ferguson, I feel, are a bit misguided. IINM, he already mentioned in some interviews that he did not see fit to spend so much money and would rather the next manager dictate the shape of the team in the next rebuild. Especially as United did not have a director of football structure at the time and so he expected the next manager to control everything and rebuild from his title winning team. Aging, yes. But I have to emphasize. It was still a title winning team. It was perfect timing for a rebuild for the next manager. That was not the problem.

The rest, yes, I think we can all agree about Woodward's failures in the transfer market. The thought of paying more for Fellaini on the last day of the transfer window when he could be had for cheaper just a couple of weeks earlier still sends a shiver down my spine. Not to mention paying over the top to buy an EPL top scoring target man and refusing to fund a single proper winger, knowing the team had zero crossers and the only decent long passer was Pogba. And then blaming the target man as "not United quality".

I think we can all also agree that United desperately needs a proper Director of Football who knows how to build the club. City and Liverpool have that. United don't. And that is killing us. Liverpool are, to me, the pace setters the last two seasons and will continue to be the pace setter for the foreseeable future. What they have done is nothing short of brilliant. And I hate that so much.

MrSingh2002

Do you support Ole to keep this job if we finish outside 4 with out any other signings?
What would be the point? If he's not strong enough as manager to ENSURE the club make the right signings. We don't need a softie in charge.

Seems like a battle of who has the smallest testicles.

Ed Woodward - Can't tell Glazers the score
Ole - Can't tell Ed the score
Sancho - Can't tell Dortmund he wants to leave (if he even wants to leave at all)

sp_107

Pretty Bad, Isnt it ?

No proper signings
No Improvements to Stadium
Lot of money into their pockets
Wish you hadn’t mentioned that, that’s a whole new embarrassing chapter, our stadium is looking so old right now it’s like walking back in time. Decades.
They could have used time since March to improve the stadium as no crowds at the moment.

MetoTTT

I said it 2 months ago it was just matter of time to listen "I'm happy with the squad" from OGS. It seems for now I was right...I'm praying to be wrong. What a mess again!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Well if it was for neymar then yes absolutely. Sancho for 108 absolutely. For greenwood now atleast 90 yes those all make sense because the best talents cost the most because those are gonna take you to the top.
You're just accepting the price Dortmund have come up with. You would be saying the same thing if it was £150m. So are you you saying if it's a £40m player you should negotiate but if it's a 'top talent' you just accept the price? Just nonsense.

mancan92

You're just accepting the price Dortmund have come up with. You would be saying the same thing if it was £150m. So are you you saying if it's a £40m player you should negotiate but if it's a 'top talent' you just accept the price? Just nonsense.
No I say negotiate every deal but at the end of the day a top player is going to cost top price. We were never gonna get sancho for like 80m for example. You can negotiate down a bit for unless a club is in a terrible financial position you will have to pay its simple.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
City, Chelsea and Bayern have all picked up talented wingers this year for less than half the asking price of Sancho. Let that sink in.

Godfather

City, Chelsea and Bayern have all picked up talented wingers this year for less than half the asking price of Sancho. Let that sink in.
Bayern are probably the best run football club in the world though. Ours is rotten to the core, so not really comparable.

el3mel

That's what I have been talking about. We could have just moved on and pursued other winger, but we decided nah it's Sancho or nothing, and wasted the entire summer behind him. If it ends up with us not getting him, it would really reflect badly on us.

MrSingh2002

feck every cnut that said Shaw is a better defender than Reguilon and Telles.

feck you all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Have you ever bought a house?

Just straight up paid the asking price did you?
That analogy doesn't really work without mentioning we're the ones who walked into a nice neighbourhood, knocked on someone's door and asked them how much they want for their house.

With that in mind, what do you think the outcome(s) could be?

Withnail

That analogy doesn't really work without mentioning we're the ones who walked into a nice neighbourhood, knocked on someone's door and asked them how much they want for their house.

With that in mind, what do you think the outcome(s) could be?
Are you trying to claim Sancho isn't for sale?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
If this match doesn’t show the cnuting board we need some players, nothing will.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are you trying to claim Sancho isn't for sale?
Let's not play that game.

Your house analogy works with a big 'For Sale' sign plonked in the front yard, not when it's us knocking the proverbial door and performing this big hullabaloo on their lawn.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Way too many fans that watch with their eyes closed. When he leaves he'll be lucky to have any mid table teams interested in him.
He's one of those players who becomes better (in fans' eyes) when he's out injured.

Withnail

Let's not play that game.

Your house analogy works with a big 'For Sale' sign plonked in the front yard, not when it's us knocking the proverbial door and performing this big hullabaloo on their lawn.
Play what game?

The whole point is you negotiate and try to get the best price. You don't just pay the asking price like it's a pack of smokes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Reason why we need a right winger is that if Greenwood gets injured, we’ve got a competition winner in Dan James starting there. He’s better off the left anyway ffs. Shaw is decent for a left back. Just get a right winger and that’ll do.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Play what game?

The whole point is you negotiate and try to get the best price. You don't just pay the asking price like it's a pack of smokes.
Or... you don't knock on the door in the first place if you've no intention of paying market (or stated) value for a house that does not explicitly state it's up for sale.

This is the issue with your analogy - it very rarely happens that someone goes after a house that they themselves have to directly inquire about where the owner is perfectly happy to usher you off their property should you continue being a nuisance. That is not how house buying/selling usually works and is very probably why our wiggle room is next to nought. To truly negotiate, you need two willing parties.

Paxi

Or... you don't knock on the door in the first place if you've no intention of paying market (or stated) value for a house that does not explicitly state it's up for sale.

This is the issue with your analogy - it very rarely happens that someone goes after a house that they themselves have to directly inquire about where the owner is perfectly happy to usher you off their property should you continue being a nuisance. That is not how house buying/selling usually works and is very probably why our wiggle room is next to nought. To truly negotiate, you need two willing parties.
Absolutely bang on. Bizarre train of thought that Dortmund should just roll over and let us dictate terms whilst Sancho is happy they’re happy and we’re the ones in need of a right winger.

Withnail

Ok then.

Dortmund always planned to sell Sancho so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ok then.

Dortmund always planned to sell Sancho so I'm not sure what you're on about.
Not necessarily this summer they didn't. He'll be one of the hottest assets in football for the entirety of his tenure there - let's say he's the best house in an up and coming location. It's us going there rummaging, not them courting a sale, so it's on us to meet their evaluation rather than whistling on a prayer that they're about to see 'sense' and yield.

Which is why making it analagous to a generic house sale doesn't work.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Not worth debating system or plan. The disorganization begins the scenes is killing us. It really is. We are becoming a laughing stock with agents laughing about the way we conduct business.

Squad is ill prepared, but has made it worse today starting such a poor side. He has to know that some of these players just aren’t good enough and it worries me that he doesn’t.

People laugh about it being the first game, but if we lose out in top 4 by three points, we can point to the woeful organisation and preparation for the new season.

Woodward gets off far too lightly. He is going to set us back for years and years by the time he is done. It’s completely unacceptable.

Paxi

Not worth debating system or plan. The disorganization begins the scenes is killing us. It really is. We are becoming a laughing stock with agents laughing about the way we conduct business.

Squad is ill prepared, but has made it worse today starting such a poor side. He has to know that some of these players just aren’t good enough and it worries me that he doesn’t.

People laugh about it being the first game, but if we lose out in top 4 by three points, we can point to the woeful organisation and preparation for the new season.

Woodward gets off far too lightly. He is going to set us back for years and years by the time he is done. It’s completely unacceptable.
Spot on mate.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Watching us play is more draining than the floundering in the transfer window.

The season's just started and we're already on a downer, ffs.