g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
yes but its not August 10th is it?
There's always incredible optimists like you who give it the "it's only...xxx date".

Do you really think we're going to magic an incredible signing up in the next 20 days? Just out of interest?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What happened to the days when we could just call Tottenham and tell them to send their best players ? Carrick and Berbatov were cheap as hell!

I really want to study how Tottenham developed their new transfer structure, we really used to get players from them and now it seems barely possible
Cheap?
I don't think anyone thought £16m for Carrick or £30.75m for Berbatov were in any way "cheap" at those times!

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I'm fine if we get Thiago and Sandro.

Thiago has been quoted at 54m which is an absolute steal in this market.

We can revert to a 4-2-3-1

----------------- Lukaku ------------------
--- Sanchez --- Thiago ------ Lingard ---
------- Pogba ----------- Matic -----------
Sandro --- Bailly --- Lindelof --- Valencia

Fred could be used in place of Matic when we face teams that sit back.

55m + 45m = 100m

We have to get Thiago..... It's such a no brainer when Bayern are trying to get him out. Barca, Man City and Real are not in for him.
What has Lindelof done to be promoted to the first team? Please don't tell me he was decent in a few world cup games and that that somehow is more important than form for us!

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Seriously what are we doing?!

I really hope something is going on in the background because as it stands we’re finishing behind our 2 biggest rivals by a long way.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
There's always incredible optimists like you who give it the "it's only...xxx date".

Do you really think we're going to magic an incredible signing up in the next 20 days? Just out of interest?
No because thats not how it works. You have absolutely no clue whats going on with our transfer deals. You know there was a World Cup on and you know bar Liverpool theres hardly been any transfer activity worth talking about especially in the PL. I cant imagine how you and posters like you would act if you were Spurs supporters. Deals have been done in 2 days let alone 20 by the way. A lot of you need to grow the feck up and stop pretending this is football manager because its not.

RuudTom83

I’d love to see the team develop a style and better cohesion. Throwing £150 million at the problem every year is not my idea of fun tbh.

Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Jessi, Martial, Rashford...(add Matic, Fred) can we not just focus on getting them to play as a team first.

It’s called football not Moneyball.

But I don’t mean to pick an argument with those hoping for new signings, I’m just tired of the constant conveyer belt of players coming in and out of the club since SAF retired.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Lack of rumours doesn't bother me. We usually tried to work behind the scenes in the last few transfer windows and I think we will have 1 or 2 new players by the start of the season.

I also think the team isn't half bad like it's been made here. Just a bit of cohesion in the way we play and progress of our star players (Sanchez and Pogba for example) could put us close to 90 points mark. We've spent a shitload of money before and more often than not, it didn't work out the way we expected.

An Irish Red

Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Jessi, Martial, Rashford...(add Matic, Fred) can we not just focus on getting them to play as a team first.
The problem is that none of those players, Sanchez aside, are good enough on the right wing (And Sanchez will never play there).

Then when we add to that how little threat our fullbacks have and it's obvious that we need big changes. Coaching wont fix this on it's own.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Seriously what are we doing?!

I really hope something is going on in the background because as it stands we’re finishing behind our 2 biggest rivals by a long way.
I think Woody might actually have forgotten that the transfer window closes early!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No because thats not how it works. You have absolutely no clue whats going on with our transfer deals. You know there was a World Cup on and you know bar Liverpool theres hardly been any transfer activity worth talking about especially in the PL. I cant imagine how you and posters like you would act if you were Spurs supporters. Deals have been done in 2 days let alone 20 by the way. A lot of you need to grow the feck up and stop pretending this is football manager because its not.
You're right pal, and everyone else is wrong.

I'm sure we have a pair of quality full backs, right winger and centre back, juuuust lined up ready :lol:

RMD83

Lack of rumours doesn't bother me. We usually tried to work behind the scenes in the last few transfer windows and I think we will have 1 or 2 new players by the start of the season.

I also think the team isn't half bad like it's been made here. Just a bit of cohesion in the way we play and progress of our star players (Sanchez and Pogba for example) could put us close to 90 points mark. We've spent a shitload of money before and more often than not, it didn't work out the way we expected.
Do we though? I’m struggling to think of a single big name signing that suddenly hit the rumour mill and was then breaking news and confirmed in a short space of time like for example Fabinho and Allison have been for Liverpool in the last few weeks. Our transfers are generally out the bag for at least a week prior to signing. Maybe we have some big business under wraps that will excite us in the coming weeks but that hasn’t been the case in recent years that I can think of. And I agree our squad is already much better than some give it credit for but sadly we are not getting enough out of it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You bring up Berbatov. Can you remember what stage of the summer he was bought at?
That settles it. Signing a player late on a decade or so under a different management team, and in a completely different climate back makes you right.

Jim Beam

Do we though? I’m struggling to think of a single big name signing that suddenly hit the rumour mill and was then breaking news and confirmed in a short space of time like for example Fabinho and Allison have been for Liverpool in the last few weeks. Our transfers are generally out the bag for at least a week prior to signing. Maybe we have some big business under wraps that will excite us in the coming weeks but that hasn’t been the case in recent years that I can think of. And I agree our squad is already much better than some give it credit for but sadly we are not getting enough out of it.
Our transfer business certainly went from being all over the press during Moyes time to trying to keep it tight as possible in the last few seasons.

Lukaku was definitely a surprise and out of the bag signing. Not remember any reports about Bailly either, it was over in space of 2 or 3 days.
Dier rumours were all over the press last summer, while Matic was always a priority (we did have some links to Matic though, agree with that). Lindelof signing was only reported by Portuguese journos and those reports were pretty much dismissed by many.

Now, it is a bit strange that there is almost nothing, but it is also evident that the club changed its policy and is trying to not let anything out.

Andersons Dietician

Our transfer business certainly went from being all over the press during Moyes time to trying to keep it tight as possible in the last few seasons.

Lukaku was definitely a surprise and out of the bag signing. Not remember any reports about Bailly either, it was over in space of 2 or 3 days.
Dier rumours were all over the press last summer, while Matic was always a priority (we did have some links to Matic though, agree with that). Lindelof signing was only reported by Portuguese journos and those reports were pretty much dismissed by many.

Now, it is a bit strange that there is almost nothing, but it is also evident that the club changed its policy and is trying to not let anything out.
There were many reports on Lukaku to us for about a year. His dad even came out and said something like it’s time for him to move to a big club like Manchester United. I think as it drew closer the common consensus was that he was going to Chelsea but we were still reported as intrested so much so that news reports were claiming we were after he and Morata.
Lindelof another one that had been going for about a year and reported heavily along with Semedo. Both heavily linked with us and scouts viewing games for one or the other.

Bailly certainly an out of nowhere but Matic again there were lots of reports. I don’t think our buisness has really been that quiet at all. Dalot tho is certainly one but Fred wasn’t.

I’m convinced the delay has/is Bale related and now with it looking like he is staying at Real it’s time to rejig what we had planned. No idea tho on who any of those possible targets are tho.

RMD83

Lukaku was a short transfer saga I’ll give you that. He was linked with chelsea for weeks and we were getting morata and suddenly it ended up being the reverse. And at this point thankfully so. Lindelof though was heavily linked with us in January. Bailly was a surprise, we all salivated at the thought of who Jose’s first signing would be with massive names brandished around and he was a unheard of mainly. I think a lot of disappointment is due to the fact that we have a mountain to climb to catch city and most would have expected a minimum of 4 signings and marquee signings at that not including the likes of Dalot and grant. At this point we seem to be as far from city as we were and have less reason to be optimistic than Liverpool fans. If we suddenly land 2 or 3 quality signings in the coming weeks that are improvements on the squad then great. Again though we already have a great squad with a number of under used players that could thrive but I don’t believe Jose will polish those gems such as martial, shaw etc but then again this isn’t the thread for that, there’s already enough anti Jose threads to discuss that in.

Le Red

Well the general consensus on here is that Lingard is a central attacking midfielder and Rashford a striker. Neither are good enough to be first choice in those positions at any big club.

Even the likes of Spurs have Eriksen and Kane who are both levels above those two in those positions.
Rashford has the tools. He needs to play more in a striker duo to develop his skills and build confidence. Lingard is good as a squad player though, I agree he wouldn't be fire in another team.

Jezpeza

What has Lindelof done to be promoted to the first team? Please don't tell me he was decent in a few world cup games and that that somehow is more important than form for us!
I would like to see more of Lindelof. Looking at the Spurs centre backs vertonghen and Alderweireld, who are 31 and 29 respectively, was their partnership as concrete as it is now 3 years ago, or were they as good as they are now then? Don't think we've seen enough of Bailly and Lindelof yet. Jones and smalling on the other hand.....

Name Changed

weso26
We are looking good actually. Fred is that type of signing that will surprise everyone, and Dalot is preparation to slowly phase out Valencia. Mourinho is also looking to reduce the squad size with the sale of blind and ongoing efforts to sell Darmian.

So if we could have 23 players squad, I'd be happy. Playing players consistently with new methods of training is just something we haven't seen since Fergie retired.
Completely disagree with this. The only player that has improved the team is Fred, possibly. We are still going to play with two old wingers at full back. We don't have a top quality centre back. Our best one is consistently injured. Sanchez hasn't fitted into the team and at his wage he will almost always start. We don't have a top quality right winger or at least none of our players that should be able to play in that position have ever showed that they could play there at a top level consistently.

Other teams are strengthening significantly. City have got stronger. Liverpool have got far stronger. Chelsea will spend money.

There is time left but it takes time to do deals and Ed Woodward doesn't seem especially good at getting them done. It seems to be that they have spent most of the summer waiting/hoping for Gareth Bale.

We need more than one top quality signing in my opinion.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Werent we supposed to be after 8 players? I think it was Castels who said we wanted that many. The common consensus was that 8 seems a bit to many but LB, RB, CB, 2xCM, RW and a back-up striker were essential.

With Fred coming and retention of MopHead we are sorted in midfield. I dont consider Dalot as an instant reinforcement. He is one for the future.

So Fred seems like the only addtion so far and we still need to add to our back four and attacking unit.

Name Changed

weso26
I'd be amazed if he ends up being first choice any time soon. At the moment he is too error prone.

Hoof the ball

This is my somewhat dispassionate opinion. Trying to remain realistic and objective without feeding false optimism or doom-mongering.

We've finished second due to (a) a stellar defensive team performance, and, (b) our rivals demonstrating varying levels of inconsistency. Of course, we were some way behind City, who were simply outstanding. There's a growing consensus on here that believe them to have achieved a one-off, however, there's every chance that they could perform something similar to what they did last season, especially given that Mendy is available throughout, Mahrez will add competition for Sterling and add goals, and they're not weaker in terms of losing players. At the very least, a realistic analysis of City this season is to anticipate them performing to similar levels to the last. It's possible for them to improve, but even if they don't meet last years standards, we must expect the same kind of efficiency as last year.

With that in mind, there are areas which I feel we must improve upon, or else the gap that existed between us and City may remain as it is. Balance in the side is important. Young has performed excellently, overall, however, individual performance aside, there is an imbalance with Young on that left. Ones that natural left-back's provide in terms of overlapping runs. Young has a tendency to not overlap, and consequently leaves our winger in one-vs-two situations on the side with Young behind (rather then in front) of him for overlap support. We need Shaw to kick on this year and provide that. Young will remain in that slot until he can be forced out through excellent form by Shaw. My own personal prediction is that Dalot will impress upon debuting, as he did for Porto at LB, and he'll be the one to challenge Young for his LB spot, leaving Valencia continuing at RB.

RW is still an area that requires filling. Watching Chong keep the width at times on that right reminded me just how left side dependent and dominant we are. No Premier winning side can be this one side dominant without becoming predictable and easy to coach against. There's a few weeks left in the market, so, here's hoping. I'm predicting that Fred will be the legs in the midfield to really give Pogba the freedom to impose himself on the game for us, and in turn, we might end up looking a lot more fluid for it.

Jim Beam

Bailly certainly an out of nowhere but Matic again there were lots of reports. I don’t think our buisness has really been that quiet at all. Dalot tho is certainly one but Fred wasn’t.
Still, compare this with Moyes days when even Sanchez dogs knew who are we after.

Lukaku was a short transfer saga I’ll give you that. He was linked with chelsea for weeks and we were getting morata and suddenly it ended up being the reverse. And at this point thankfully so. Lindelof though was heavily linked with us in January. Bailly was a surprise, we all salivated at the thought of who Jose’s first signing would be with massive names brandished around and he was a unheard of mainly. I think a lot of disappointment is due to the fact that we have a mountain to climb to catch city and most would have expected a minimum of 4 signings and marquee signings at that not including the likes of Dalot and grant. At this point we seem to be as far from city as we were and have less reason to be optimistic than Liverpool fans. If we suddenly land 2 or 3 quality signings in the coming weeks that are improvements on the squad then great. Again though we already have a great squad with a number of under used players that could thrive but I don’t believe Jose will polish those gems such as martial, shaw etc but then again this isn’t the thread for that, there’s already enough anti Jose threads to discuss that in.
Not much that I disagree really, especially the part where we should be getting more out of what we already have. As for transfers, I just don't think we're done, it would be really strange and not because I personally feel we are doomed otherwise, but because I can't see Jose being happy with it since himself said it needs more improvement. In the light of those quotes, it is hard to see some rosy situation in the next season and that is my biggest worry.
So, I just can't believe that our business is over even without much links in the paper and trying to point at specific cases where we did manage to get it wrapped pretty fast and without too much fuss.

Name Changed

weso26
Werent we supposed to be after 8 players? I think it was Castels who said we wanted that many. The common consensus was that 8 seems a bit to many but LB, RB, CB, 2xCM, RW and a back-up striker were essential.

With Fred coming and retention of MopHead we are sorted in midfield. I dont consider Dalot as an instant reinforcement. He is one for the future.

So Fred seems like the only addtion so far and we still need to add to our back four and attacking unit.
We need more than one addition to the back four in my opinion. And if we are going to persist with Lukaku and Sanchez, then someone else needs to be brought in who can play to their needs. There weren't too many occasions last season when they gelled.

Sterling Archer

I’d love to see the team develop a style and better cohesion. Throwing £150 million at the problem every year is not my idea of fun tbh.

It’s called football not Moneyball.

But I don’t mean to pick an argument with those hoping for new signings, I’m just tired of the constant conveyer belt of players coming in and out of the club since SAF retired.
Was just thinking the same thing. Change from within is just as important as outside (ie transfers). Especially with such a young core group

Andersons Dietician

Still, compare this with Moyes days when even Sanchez dogs knew who are we after.

Not much that I disagree really, especially the part where we should be getting more out of what we already have. As for transfers, I just don't think we're done, it would be really strange and not because I personally feel we are doomed otherwise, but because I can't see Jose being happy with it since himself said it needs more improvement. In the light of those quotes, it is hard to see some rosy situation in the next season and that is my biggest worry.
So, I just can't believe that our business is over even without much links in the paper and trying to point at specific cases where we did manage to get it wrapped pretty fast and without too much fuss.
I’ve pretty much blanked out that Moyes summer of transfer rubbishness. It just makes me angry. Thiago, Strootman, Isco. It was dead simple Moyes but noooo Chasing windmills in Cesc then turning to Bale at the 11th hour when the deal for his Real move was almost complete. Just makes the blood boil :lol::mad:

As for this window, I reckon we’ll see Peresic, Alderweireld and Sandro probably. Feck knows where he’ll deploy Peresic.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
There's a growing consensus on here that believe them to have achieved a one-off, however, there's every chance that they could perform something similar to what they did last season, especially given that Mendy is available throughout, Mahrez will add competition for Sterling and add goals, and they're not weaker in terms of losing players. At the very least, a realistic analysis of City this season is to anticipate them performing to similar levels to the last. It's possible for them to improve, but even if they don't meet last years standards, we must expect the same kind of efficiency as last year.
Wait, what?

It's obvious that they'll be as monotonously good as last year because that's what Pep does in the league.

Most people on here know that right?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
MEN reporting that we’re confident on signing Toby from Spurs. Then when you read the article it’s citing a line from Delaney’s bullshit Lewandoski article. Sigh.

TheReligion

Abusive
Good post Sir

beingshe7don

I'd be amazed if he ends up being first choice any time soon. At the moment he is too error prone.
Lindelof did make mistakes in the earlier games he played but has gotten much better. He's much better than Smalling who cannot play the ball with his feet and Jones whose make a lot more crucial mistakes than Lindelof.

beingshe7don

Lindelof did make mistakes in the earlier games he played but has gotten much better. He's much better than Smalling who cannot play the ball with his feet and Jones whose make a lot more crucial mistakes than Lindelof.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Smalling and Jones both had decent seasons. United fans are just bored of them. Both have been much better for us than Lindelof. He may have room to improve but he has to be behind the others right now.

Frank Grimes

A guy from BBC Manchester(Bill Rice) claimed we are looking for a CB, LW and possibly a marquee signing(Bale). I think we'll get Alderweireld not sure about the RW but I have massive doubts we'll sign Bale.

Status
Not open for further replies.