g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A guy from BBC Manchester(Bill Rice) claimed we are looking for a CB, LW and possibly a marquee signing(Bale). I think we'll get Alderweireld not sure about the RW but I have massive doubts we'll sign Bale.
LW?

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
A guy from BBC Manchester(Bill Rice) claimed we are looking for a CB, LW and possibly a marquee signing(Bale). I think we'll get Alderweireld not sure about the RW but I have massive doubts we'll sign Bale.
Please tell me that was a typo. If we sign any more left wingers people are going to start confusing us with Antifa.

TheReligion

Abusive
Its the people who think they know what we are doing that annoy me. Theres a whole list of players we bought that nobody knew about with Bailly being the best example recently.
No one knew about Sanchez either. Out of the blue. We are known for it. Woody is a transfer snake

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Shocking window so far. That gnome Woodward is the fecking devil along with his ginger cnut friends the Glazers. All need burning at the stake.

But guys, they’re genuinely happy
For us to finish 4th.

Colombian Mancunian

I think Sanchez = Griezmann is a good call actually. I also think they're both not as good as people think they are at the moment. I feel that both of them had their best seasons two seasons back and at that time they were simply scintillating. Right now they're both players who seem to live on key moments, i.e., a key assist or a key goal in a game where they were otherwise not really performing as well as they could have in.

They are both amazing players, being in the top ten in the world, having a winning pass or goal. Off course they are not in the same league as Ronaldo and Messi, no one is.

It’s the typical pessimistic view of United fans: every player in other club is the GOAT, every player in United is rubbish. Really negativity is like a national sport in England.

No one knew about Sanchez either. Out of the blue. We are known for it. Woody is a transfer snake
No one here knows how transfers are done, and who will sign. All we do is follow twitter and news, speculating what is going to happen.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'd be shocked if we added 3 in this short space to be honest.

I think Sandro very late in the window for an inflated fee will be the only incoming player. Woodward is obviously wanting Bale aswell but that won't happen.

WPMUFC

"don't rule out a statement signing" sounds like the journo is just stating that as an opinion. Good to see Toby back in the rumours though.

marktan

Bale - 0% chance after selling Ronaldo

Willian - very low chance given Madrid interested in Hazard and Courtois

Most likely someone like Lozano or Perisic for £50m, and neither of those are really great imo. Mane/Salah, Sane/Sterling are both a level or two above those.

Been a very bad transfer window so far imo. Mourinho spending a month commentating on the world cup of instead of taking a holiday or doing work for us imo will come back and bite us.

Lam

I think we should expect Mou to at least mount a title challenge with this squad. Anything less than 85 points will be a failure. If City do go on to get 100 points, then good for them. We can at best take only 6 points off them.

Wan

I seem to spend most summers trying to persuade people that we dont need to overhaul 75% of our squad in order to avoid relegation. Unfortunately though, this summer I do think we could use a few improvements to keep us competitive - the FB, CB and RW positions are all problematic for me, especially when you look at the players our rivals have available.

City were fantastic last season and havent really lost anyone - with another season for their team to gel I dont see why anyone is expecting them to be any weaker.
Liverpool improved as the season went on and reached the CL final. They have strengthened in some key areas and will be challenging for the title next season.
Spurs' young team is entering its peak years, and again another year for them to settle. Admittedly similarly quiet on the transfer front - but I would say they have less obvious gaps in their squad compared with us.

Im concerned that other teams are moving forward and we are standing still. There are some fairly obvious areas in our team (mentioned above) where we should be looking at improving. Valencia will never be a top RB - he is too one footed, his crossing is unreliable (look at Trippier in the world cup, or Walker's impact at City last year for what a top FB brings to the team). I am reasonably sure that five years ago, if anyone had said that Valencia would be first choice in 2018 they would have been laughed at. Shaw on the other side came with plenty of potential but has barely played. Rate him or not - I dont think we can afford to be going into next season relying on him as first choice, and Young is getting older and again, will never be a top FB.

We have a collection of unreliable and inconsistent CBs; the club seems to be living in the past where we think we can get away with signing average players or cheapskating. Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof all fit into this category, whilst other teams have started spending big to acquire top quality defenders. In pretty much every top team now, you need defenders who are comfortable on the ball and can play out to some extent (or at least hit accurate long passes) - the entire foundation of the team tends to be built on that. We saw it at the world cup and last season.

Finally, RW - I dont even know who our first choice RW is at this point. But compared with the attacking talent at City and Liverpool, and to a less extent Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea, it is a major concern that we dont seem to have any natural wide men. England had the same issue, and remedied it by playing a 3-5-2 using wingbacks. On paper this would actually be quite a good fit for our players, but I cant see it happening.

Anyway, this isnt meant to be doom n gloom by any means, and I fully expect a couple more signings before the end of the window. Just surprised that anyone (especially Jose) could come out and say that they are happy going into next season with the current squad and expect us to compete for the PL/CL.
Don't think anyone is confident going into the season given how far behind we finished behind City last season and the issues we had attacking wise(including the fullbacks). But the defence while not the best individually, is very solid as a unit and with the Dalot signing will hopefully in time make the RB spot his own. Going by highlighst seems to be good attack wise which will help us immensely. And Fred will help Pogba and Matic, going both ways.

Now all that's left is the LB and RW situation. We need to fix that RW pronto. I'll take Willian ATM even if we have to break the bank for him. With Sanchez having his 'rest' and hopefully joining the pre-season squad soon will help him to integrate better. And another year for the likes of Martial/Rashford..they were doing quite good first part of the season sharing that LW spot until Sanchez came and spoil it that is.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I’ve pretty much blanked out that Moyes summer of transfer rubbishness. It just makes me angry. Thiago, Strootman, Isco. It was dead simple Moyes but noooo Chasing windmills in Cesc then turning to Bale at the 11th hour when the deal for his Real move was almost complete. Just makes the blood boil :lol::mad:

As for this window, I reckon we’ll see Peresic, Alderweireld and Sandro probably. Feck knows where he’ll deploy Peresic.
I am trying to forget it, but just can't.

Dithering over Thiago. Going all out for Fabregas who was probably open for a move, but the moment Thiago went to Bayern, was never a real possibility.
Joining the race to sign Bale with Real in it when you know Levy would rather send him to China on a discount than us.

And then culmination:
A joint bid for Fellaini and Baines.
Buying Fellaini in the region of that joint bid and 4 million over his release clause who expired 2 weeks before that.

We were also linked with about 100 other different players in the market. You know what, I heavily prefer this transfer window.

phyniks

Supports
Esteghlal Iran
I m not sure about the next season.
Man C has been improved,Liverpool has been greatly improved(although they were better than us last season)
So there s no chance for us with the quality we have
We need 2 or 3 more quality players

A CB and a right winger is a MUST

klayton88

I'll take a Sneijder rumour by Custis from The Sun at this point. Worse. Transfer Window. Ever.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We just can't go into the season with what we have. Not enough improvement. There will be more signings, at least I hope.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Erm the fact he wasn’t able to travel until we realised that due to his tax fraud he couldn’t get a visa. This is just very poor planning on our part. Tbf it then only took us a few days to sort out but I very much doubt we’ve been working on it for the last 6 months and it’s just coincidently been sorted 2 days after!

Vagene

I'll take a Sneijder rumour by Custis from The Sun at this point. Worse. Transfer Window. Ever.
Looking that way isn’t it, what’ve we got just over two weeks?
I’m guessing City fans will be quite confident of a repeat this season

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So complain when there is no transfer news, then complain when there is transfer news because we aren’t closing deals as quickly as every other team in the world.

Clearly there is dealings going on behind closed doors, they just haven’t leaked yet.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
I agree with some of the previous posts in that it won’t matter who we sign. Mourinho will play the same style as last year and inhibit any playmaking. Not making the best out of the half billion he has already spent and making his excuses already is poor to say the least. We are heading into the season in a negative mood which will see us off to a shit start.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree with some of the previous posts in that it won’t matter who we sign. Mourinho will play the same style as last year and inhibit any playmaking. Not making the best out of the half billion he has already spent and making his excuses already is poor to say the least. We are heading into the season in a negative mood which will see us off to a shit start.
Seriously?

Mourinhos teams have always been solid defensively and somewhat defensive minded, but they were always generally devastating with their counter-attacks. Obviously he will want us to do the same, and the fact that we have been so slow at those transitions must be infuriating him. Yes he has to take some blame for that, bur so do our players. That is the aspect where hopefully we improve significantly.

Jacob

I think we'll sign an unexpected galactico out of the blue.

Wouldn't put it past us signing Messi.

Djemba-Djemba

I am trying to forget it, but just can't.

Dithering over Thiago. Going all out for Fabregas who was probably open for a move, but the moment Thiago went to Bayern, was never a real possibility.
Joining the race to sign Bale with Real in it when you know Levy would rather send him to China on a discount than us.

And then culmination:
A joint bid for Fellaini and Baines.
Buying Fellaini in the region of that joint bid and 4 million over his release clause who expired 2 weeks before that.

We were also linked with about 100 other different players in the market. You know what, I heavily prefer this transfer window.
Aye, it'll be difficult to ever beat that Window for the title of worst ever.

Don't forget the whole fake Utd representatives trying to sign Herrera. And the last minute failure to get Contrao from Madrid.

Just an absolute shambles from start to finish and a preview of what was to come under Moyes.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I would expect 2 more (CB/LB/RW) even without sales, of which there should be a couple. ~£48m net spend is not going to win over any favours with the fans when you've got a 20 point gap to close on your city neighbours and when the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal are spending away.

I would think Alderweireld, Sandro, Perisic, Willian are guys towards the top of the list. Possibly Ante Rebic on there too, although I don't think he'd be a worthwhile signing. Think Skriniar and Bale would have been too but are probably both unlikely.

Personally, think that United need all three and should try and ship out Darmian, Shaw, maybe Mata and at least one of Rojo, Jones, Smalling, that should give them at least £170m to spend on those 3 positions. I would probably try and target the 3 I have bolded, which would be a massive instant improvement to the starting XI.

First XI:

-------------------------De Gea---------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
Valencia-------Bailly---------Alderweireld--------Sandro
-------------------------------------------------------------
------------------Fred-------------Matic-------------------
--------------------------Pogba-----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
-----Willian--------------------------------------Sanchez---
-------------------------Lukaku------------------------------

Second XI:

-------------------------Romero----------------------------
Dalot----------Smalling---------Lindelof------------Young
------------------Herrera-------------Fellaini--------------
--------------------------Lingard-----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
-----Pereira--------------------------------------Martial---
-------------------------Rashford----- ---------------------

That would be a very strong starting line-up with some top quality depth.

Last edited:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Is this a fact?
No its not and as someone who has dealt with US visas with regards to work I can tell you you can apply a year in advance and its no guarantee of it being sorted.

Nickthepip

I’ve been fairly ok with things up until now at which point it’s not looking great. We’ll have come into the Summer with a plan that clearly hasn’t come to fruition and it feels like we’ve exhausted the initial list and are scrambling for alternatives.

Will probably either massively overpay for someone or have to accept what we have which will see us fighting for top four and boring the pants off us all.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
No its not and as someone who has dealt with US visas with regards to work I can tell you you can apply a year in advance and its no guarantee of it being sorted.
I know and I also read somewhere that this was done months ago. People make things up to have a moan.

Status
Not open for further replies.