g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think we’ll be lucky to do 1 more

Looking to me like the board aren’t backing José this summer. We got Fred because Carrick retired, a player Pep rates so a safe bet who can play different styles.

Dalot is an investment in the future and Grant is a stop-gap for cover.
So far, that's how it may look. We'll of course know at the end of the window. For me, it's not just whether Jose is being backed or not, it's whether the board is backing the progression of the team or not. This board appointed Moyes who was really just thanking his lucky stars to get the job. Then we got LVG who was at that time no longer sought after so it was a final hurrah for him. Neither of them were very likely to be openly critical with the board over a lack of funds (I do think LVG has the record in terms of net spend for a United manager in his first season though).

When Jose was appointed the first thing I thought was the board had definitely not appointed a yes-man. I still assume we'll get to around the 130m mark which has been the case for the last two seasons (net) as the LB and RW are just such glaring issues that they cannot be ignored even by non-football-watching penny-pinching non-character-redeeming American owners.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Aye, it'll be difficult to ever beat that Window for the title of worst ever.

Don't forget the whole fake Utd representatives trying to sign Herrera. And the last minute failure to get Contrao from Madrid.

Just an absolute shambles from start to finish and a preview of what was to come under Moyes.
:lol: that actually topped the whole window. And it was hard to come on top in all that mess.

eams conway

I'm slowly getting fed up with Jose and the complaining about transfers. We have spent alot of money on transfers that just haven't worked over the past few seasons which is partly his fault. It's his job to get Martial Sanchez Lindalof Pogba etc playing better . We have alot of quality already in the squad but we just don't seem to be gelling together. We never know our forward line from one week to the next apart from Lukaku I'd like to see us sticking to a solid 8 or 9 players for the 1st part of the season and try and get some kind of attacking system going . I hope we are better this season but I wouldn't bet on it

Reactions: Sultan

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Will probably either massively overpay for someone or have to accept what we have which will see us fighting for top four and boring the pants off us all.
If we don't buy any more players, we will definitely be in a dog-fight for 4th place.
And given this, Jose will have to go ultra defensive, to grind out points. Jose doesn't take risks at the best of times. In a top 4 dogfight, he'll aim for 0-0 and 1-0 scorelines all the way.
And this is coming from a huge supporter of Jose.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez all came from nowhere from what I remember. Pogba became a bit of a saga but the interest and possible move came from nothing.
Pogba came from nowhere?
Are you seriousness?
The biggest thread on this forum, which today holds the record, is the Pogba thread.
His purchase was incredibly long winded, which is why it is the biggest thread of all time, on this forum.

Think we’ll be lucky to do 1 more

Looking to me like the board aren’t backing José this summer. We got Fred because Carrick retired, a player Pep rates so a safe bet who can play different styles.

Dalot is an investment in the future and Grant is a stop-gap for cover.
That's a good summary of our current situation.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Actually agree with this. Doesn't look as though Jose's being backed this summer and probably not until he can get a tune out of the current squad either. Think it's hard for him to say "back me or sack me" also with the likes of Zidane currently not managing at the moment.
I accept that José was the right guy at the right time, but I would love Zizou, finally, at United.

Patrick08

Strongly belive our window is not done. We are'nt being linked too much with the players so that we don't have to pay over the odds for the players we are interested in or generate others interest or bidding war. We keep it under wraps pretty much as much as we can.

Also teams let players go after they sign a replacement for them so the process gets longer. We are the only club who let go players without replacing them first:D

Last edited:

vanderpants

You know that guy is it Bill Rice who says there might be a “statement” signing. Who is there out there that would be a statement signing and what is his idea of a “statement” signing. Unless we are somehow signing Griezman, Dybala, Bale or Varane something like that or just taking a really good player like Asensio or Ousmane Dembele I just don’t see who else it could be. Unless he thinks Peresic, William or someone like that is a statement.
No one as Liverpool and city have stocked piled all the talent

roseguy64

Bale - 0% chance after selling Ronaldo

Willian - very low chance given Madrid interested in Hazard and Courtois

Most likely someone like Lozano or Perisic for £50m, and neither of those are really great imo. Mane/Salah, Sane/Sterling are both a level or two above those.

Been a very bad transfer window so far imo. Mourinho spending a month commentating on the world cup of instead of taking a holiday or doing work for us imo will come back and bite us.
How does Mourinho commentating affect our transfer business?

kirk buttercup

Probably 1 more and Probably going to be Perisic or someone like that, If he can't make it work Jose might be gone as he has had enough transfer Windows and Signings at this stage and I can't see the Board continuing to fork out Top Dollar to play second fiddle . I also Think Jose Demeaner is very telling at the moment he doesn't believe in this team and doesn't have the swagger he once had and maybe this is why the Board aren't chasing Big money Signings . Pogba(United ) is very different to Pogba (France) might be a case of we've given him the players now go compete .

We are still a LB RB leader at CB and RW and a holding Midfielder ( in case Matic Gets injured ) away from challeging realistically, that's out of 11 positions .

Art Vandelay

Probably 1 more and Probably going to be Perisic or someone like that, If he can't make it work Jose might be gone as he has had enough transfer Windows and Signings at this stage and I can't see the Board continuing to fork out Top Dollar to play second fiddle . I also Think Jose Demeaner is very telling at the moment he doesn't believe in this team and doesn't have the swagger he once had and maybe this is why the Board aren't chasing Big money Signings . Pogba(United ) is very different to Pogba (France) might be a case of we've given him the players now go compete .

We are still a LB RB leader at CB and RW and a holding Midfielder ( in case Matic Gets injured ) away from challeging realistically, that's out of 11 positions .
Is he? He had some poor games and then had some great games later in the tournament. He's had great and poor games with us too. He did nothing for France to suggest he's addressed the consistency.

kirk buttercup

Is he? He had some poor games and then had some great games later in the tournament. He's had great and poor games with us too. He did nothing for France to suggest he's addressed the consistency.
Imo he was very good for France . I personally thought he was one of France's best players and very Disciplined after the First game where France looked a bit disjointed .

witchtrials

The first especially is fine, but why capitalize "transfers"?
Surely it's because he's applying standard English title capitalisation, according to which the first letters of (pretty much) all words in titles except articles, conjunctions or short prepositions are capitalised e.g. "Heart of Darkness" not "Heart of darkness", "Match of the Day" not "Match of the day" etc.

Whether or not to apply title capitalisation to forum thread titles is not really a settled convention - some current threads on the forum do ("The Impossible Draft", "Most Valuable U21 Players"), some use sentence capitalisation instead ("Martial missing out on a World Cup medal", "Are there any positives? Plenty...") and others still use a mix ("Right Winger... Who do we go for?). The latter seems hard to justify, but in the absence of a house style or an emergent convention, title capitalisation seems like a perfectly reasonable choice.

roseguy64

Erm the fact he wasn’t able to travel until we realised that due to his tax fraud he couldn’t get a visa. This is just very poor planning on our part. Tbf it then only took us a few days to sort out but I very much doubt we’ve been working on it for the last 6 months and it’s just coincidently been sorted 2 days after!
So none. Cool.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Did i just see a tweet linking us to a player?
Surreal!

Last edited:

roseguy64

I don't expect us to make more than 1 or 2 signings. And that depends on how many outgoings there are. Not seeing any rumours about any of our players going other than Darmian. We currently have 29 first team players. Joel will be going on loan and so too might Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah and McTominay. That would cut it down to 24-25 without Darmian.

We have Pogba, Lingard, Pereira who club homegrown with Grant, Jones, Smalling, Lukaku, Shaw and Young also homegrown. We don't have to register Rashford, Tuanzebe and TFM. I think we'd have to register McTominay though.

If we have all those outgoings we'd have two places available to register players which is basically one spot as we'd register McTominay anyway as insurance. So we'd need more than just Darmian going to sign multiple players and I've seen no rumours about players other than him going. Shaw and Pereira look like they want to stay and fight for their place and it'd take a massive amount on the table for us to sell Martial or Pogba. No rumours about any of our CBs.

Vanrouge

Surely it's because he's applying standard English title capitalisation, according to which the first letters of (pretty much) all words in titles except articles, conjunctions or short prepositions are capitalised e.g. "Heart of Darkness" not "Heart of darkness", "Match of the Day" not "Match of the day" etc.

Whether or not to apply title capitalisation to forum thread titles is not really a settled convention - some current threads on the forum do ("The Impossible Draft", "Most Valuable U21 Players"), some use sentence capitalisation instead ("Martial missing out on a World Cup medal", "Are there any positives? Plenty...") and others still use a mix ("Right Winger... Who do we go for?). The latter seems hard to justify, but in the absence of a house style or an emergent convention, title capitalisation seems like a perfectly reasonable choice.
Yes, all of this is right, and much depends on which style guide or house style you use, and I thought of all this, but I took his examples as sentences divorced from the actual title since the discussion was about the comma only. Also, his second sentence had transfers lowercased, so one or the other, surely?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can't see Allegri going anywhere any time soon, especially with Juventus looking to build a Champions League winning team.
I've been following Juve since Baggio signed for them. If I know them well enough Ill be surprised if he will be around in 2 years time. There are too many Juve legends wgo are simply better then him around. Zidane is coming home, Didier just won the WC and conte is a free agent.

Greck

I agree with you and @golden_blunder the board aren't backing him at all. Tbh it's not hard to see why he's spent so much money already and has very little to show for it.
Guess that's one possible explanation ie they want to start seeing a greater return on prior investments before sinking more silly money into this thing. Not enough to say only Lukaku and Matic are delivering because he'd basically be saying he squandered the other 150mil worth of transfers. Meanwhile the rivals seem to be getting a tune out of the likes of Sterling and oxlade chamberlain.

The manager has preached the importance of continuity so maybe the board also wants to see what he does with an extra year

Last edited:

Denis79

I agree with you and @golden_blunder the board aren't backing him at all. Tbh it's not hard to see why he's spent so much money already and has very little to show for it.
Could be a combination with wages aswell, our two biggest earners haven't really produced much for the club. We need to sell before we can buy.

Could be a combination with wages aswell, our two biggest earners haven't really produced much for the club. We need to sell before we can buy.
I think wages is factor too - I remember last summer there was talk that Woodward wanted players sold before any new ones were brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.