Would a loan help?

owlo

Could a loan help the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, and perhaps even Maguire. 6 months away from the chaos and environment to reinvigorate and reassess themselves. New manager could see how they are doing in an alternative structure come the new season. They aren’t exactly helping us here and seem to desperately need a change of pace.

Interesting idea I thought of which seems crazy but might actually help a few of our players.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Said for years that a loan would help Rashford or at least give a better perspective about him.

DevilsOwn

Our lack of quality options in their respective positions make it definitely unlikely.

Also, running away and hiding doesn't build character. These guys will have to tough it out and win their mental battles on the pitch here

Nickelodeon

You don't loan 24 year old first teamers. If they're shite for a longish period, you get rid of them. Rashford has (deservedly to some extent) enjoyed the blind support of the fans and previous manager. At some point, he has to step up and become consistent. If he can't, he doesn't belong at the level we aspire to be at.

Red_toad

Could a loan help the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, and perhaps even Maguire. 6 months away from the chaos and environment to reinvigorate and reassess themselves. New manager could see how they are doing in an alternative structure come the new season. They aren’t exactly helping us here and seem to desperately need a change of pace.

Interesting idea I thought of which seems crazy but might actually help a few of our players.
So the club need to loan their 28 year old captain? Jeez I’ve seen it all on here, feckin mental post. Players need to come through adversity.

Bobade

So the club need to loan their 28 year old captain? Jeez I’ve seen it all on here, feckin mental post. Players need to come through adversity.
I know, imagine. This move would be our final transformation into ultimate banter club.

Spaghetti

Mom's
I’ve still got a lot of hope for Greenwood. Even when he plays poorly (admittedly too often recently) he seems like he might make something happen, or produce something spectacular.

Rashford, on the other hand, seems a lost cause. He had his shoulder excuse for a while, another injury, got a free pass for his politics etc. Barring a 1-2 month spell a year or two ago, he’s been poor for years. And unlike Greenwood, his off days (most days) are horrendous, to the point where he’s a hindrance and it would be better to play with 10 men.

padzilla

Hipster
I think selling Maguire might be a better idea than loaning him out, then again who would pay more than 40 to 50m for him?
Oh that's right, us...

Roane

If you've played the games some of these players have for the first team at a club like UTD and then get sent on loan to a mid table or even lower league club it should destroy you.

Daengophile

It'd be good if we had some kind of arrangement with a club such as Ajax where we could send players to get reprogrammed away from the Premier League

sparx99

Rashford definitely needs a jolt. Before loaning or selling we should think about giving him a couple of weeks off the pitch and he could work with the video analysts to see where he is going wrong.

Then maybe he plays 3-4 times for U23’s and puts into action what he has worked on. Hopefully he scored and creates for fun at that level and it restores some confidence.

Has he even played u23’s when coming back from injury? He always seems to go straight back to the starting XI.

With Rashford my one feeling is that maybe (maybe) he’s trying too hard because he’s also a fan. So he’s trying to take responsibility and do too much.

Mickson

Rashford has played for like five years in the first team without getting coached properly. I'm not sure he's fixable at this point but maybe. Ole's non-tactics have destroyed us.

MoskvaRed

Rashford is too old for loans. To put it into perspective, at 24, he’s older than Rooney and Ronaldo were when we last won the Champions League and the same age as Tevez was. By this stage, it becomes a yes/no assessment of whether he is good enough to play for United, and, based on the last 12 months or so, time is running out for him to show that he belongs at this level (or rather at the level United should be).

owlo

Our lack of quality options in their respective positions make it definitely unlikely.

Also, running away and hiding doesn't build character. These guys will have to tough it out and win their mental battles on the pitch here
I agree on the former. The latter depends on just how bad and toxic the atmosphere here is. Nobody does their best work if the workplace is shite.

Won't happen, but you can imagine if Rashford/Greenwood went to Barca/Dortmund or something, they'd do pretty well. (Or perhaps they'd sink and then we'd know for sure to get rid) Sometimes people just need a change of scenery.

Rashford is too old for loans. To put it into perspective, at 24, he’s older than Rooney and Ronaldo were when we last won the Champions League and the same age as Tevez was. By this stage, it becomes a yes/no assessment of whether he is good enough to play for United, and, based on the last 12 months or so, time is running out for him to show that he belongs at this level (or rather at the level United should be).
Tevez was on loan though with us. I'd usually agree, but something just seems so wrong with 'us' that perhaps he'd show more elsewhere. And he's so bad currently we wouldn't miss him for 6 months.

Oranges038

Loan them out to real hard working jobs for a month. Ones where they have to work 12 hours a day and still wouldn't even get paid enough money to afford a ticket to a game at Old Trafford.

If they come back after that and still can't motivate themselves to perform, then just get rid.

BuzzKillington

It didn't really seem to help JLingz long term. He looked ok for his first few games back and has just faded back into old JLingz again. All three players need to play their way back into form, but an extended break would probably do them good. Shaw has looked better since being put out of the team for Telles for a few weeks.

Roane

Rashford definitely needs a jolt. Before loaning or selling we should think about giving him a couple of weeks off the pitch and he could work with the video analysts to see where he is going wrong.

Then maybe he plays 3-4 times for U23’s and puts into action what he has worked on. Hopefully he scored and creates for fun at that level and it restores some confidence.

Has he even played u23’s when coming back from injury? He always seems to go straight back to the starting XI.

With Rashford my one feeling is that maybe (maybe) he’s trying too hard because he’s also a fan. So he’s trying to take responsibility and do too much.
Nah he looks like he isn't bothered at the moment.

Lentwood

The problem we have had about Rashford is not being honest or realistic about his abilities, either as a fanbase or more importantly as a football club.

You can forgive the fans for getting caught up in the 'local lad', 'wonderkid' hype, but really the club with all of their coaches, scouts and analysts should have known better.

Rashford was actually not THAT highly-regarded in the Youth set-up. Sure, there has been some revisionism afterwards, with coaches queuing up to say "we knew he would make it" etc...however, it was only pure chance and the fact that there was literally nobody else that afforded Rashford his first-team opportunity. Even Will Keane would famously have started ahead of him, had he not been injured.

Now, you could argue that Rashford had his best-ever 18-months as a pro in the first 18-months of his career. He seemed to play with a rawness, a confidence and an enthusiasm that proved to be effective, and made him a useful, if somewhat lightweight and technically-limited player.

The issue began when, rather than recognising him as a 'John O'Shea, Phil Neville, Wes Brown'-type squad player, we started comparing him to Ronaldo and Mbappe and gave him a £200K per week contract. That just created a level of expectation and a burden that he was never likely to live up to.

I have been accused of giving Rashford a hard time on here as I have been saying he is a very limited player for 4/5 years, but it's not HIS fault that the club didn't recognise this earlier and actually coach him into being a likeable, effective and useful Manchester United player.

This current incarnation of Rashford is awful, absolutely no-use to anybody. It's sad because he could well have been a very good player (and could still be, although time is running out), if we just get to grips with the idea he was never and will never be a 'top' player and just coach some useful habits and skills into him that play to the strengths he does have

Roane

I get that but if you are really fed up it can look the same as apathy.
I agree he looks fed up and the whole apathy thing.

What I was disagreeing with was when you said he was maybe trying too hard and taking responsibility.

If he was running down the wing and trying to take on everyone and shoot all the time I'd agree that maybe he was trying too hard but was coming up short.

However the guy just satnds there. He never challenges for a header, gives up chasing a guy when losing the ball, flaps his arms around and tells people to F off. Someone said they hadn't seen him smile for ages and it's true he is constantly frowning and generally huffing and puffing.

At one time people used his injuries as an excuse but it was like this before and it's certainly the case now. He simply looks disinterested which isn't trying too hard for me.

hobbers

No one is paying even a quarter of Rashford's or Maguire's wages for performances that shite.

sparx99

I agree he looks fed up and the whole apathy thing.

What I was disagreeing with was when you said he was maybe trying too hard and taking responsibility.

If he was running down the wing and trying to take on everyone and shoot all the time I'd agree that maybe he was trying too hard but was coming up short.

However the guy just satnds there. He never challenges for a header, gives up chasing a guy when losing the ball, flaps his arms around and tells people to F off. Someone said they hadn't seen him smile for ages and it's true he is constantly frowning and generally huffing and puffing.

At one time people used his injuries as an excuse but it was like this before and it's certainly the case now. He simply looks disinterested which isn't trying too hard for me.
Yeah, I do think he has been trying to take on too many people in possession. He does this thing where he beats his full back and then drops his shoulder and tries to go past another into a central shooting area. He keeps ending up running into traffic though.

He did beat his man once last night and crossed for Cavani who headed wide. That was the one decisive thing he did. He just seems to take too long to either release the pass for Shaw overlapping or he doesn't whip the cross in or he makes a yard and wants to go past someone else before shooting.

It's just strange. Watching the game last night our tempo just dropped so much when it reached Rashford. Indecisiveness is probably a confidence issue but then it just spirals. He smacks of needing to be told 'all I want is for you to make a yard and cross the ball'. Keeping it simple is such a basic fallback for when you are struggling. He's making things harder for himself all the time.

All the other stuff though; out of possession and his body language is everything you said.