Would Barca and Madrid dominate the Prem?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
9 out of 10 they would win yes, that Leicester team who won the league 2 years ago would finish behind the top 3 in Spain, like it or not without foreign managers the Premier League wouldn't even be able to compete with Serie A, let alone La Liga.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No one says it’s the greatest. It’s the most entertaining by a long way.
There are plenty of people who say it's the greatest and everyone has his own view obviously. Personally I don't find it entertaining by any means, it's just that United plays in it and I do it by habit. It keeps boring me year in year out tbh

gaucho_10

Don't know about Barca but Real wouldn't dominate the league for sure.

Our team has the mentality to beat anyone in a cup competiton (and that mentality will stay with the team this season without Ronaldo), but 38 games long season with 7 good teams to play against...
Barca or City would win the league before Real.

JSArsenal

As other have said, I don't think theyd have surpassed City last season. People underestimate the intensity of the PL and tactical astuteness of PL clubs, its streets ahead of the bottom half of La Liga. They would be in the title race though every season with the squads they've got.
I'm surprised to hear that PL clubs, especially those in midtable and below are more tactically astute than their La Liga counterparts. Premier League looks to me to be a lot more kick and rush or lump the ball up to the center forward versus the slower, more technical approach of La Liga.

However I admittedly have not seen a lot of premier league games outside of Arsenal matches last season.

Has the Premier league gotten better in terms of tactics or has La Liga just gotten worse in your opinion?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm surprised to hear that PL clubs, especially those in midtable and below are more tactically astute than their La Liga counterparts. Premier League looks to me to be a lot more kick and rush or lump the ball up to the center forward versus the slower, more technical approach of La Liga.

However I admittedly have not seen a lot of premier league games outside of Arsenal matches last season.

Has the Premier league gotten better in terms of tactics or has La Liga just gotten worse in your opinion?
Of course not, I mean Spanish teams have been knocking out Premier League teams because they have less tactical awareness?

Complete urban myth, just look at clubs like West Ham being dumped of Europa League qualifiers against teams from Romania or Everton being completely outplayed by Lyon, Atalanta or Dynamo Kiev spending much more money.

If that is tactical astuteness, I don't even want to know what tactically clueless means.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
No. They also defeated Roma who were too good for Barca.
Barely, they nearly choked it.

This year’s Liverpool weren’t nearly as good as people thought. Shame Salah got injured in the final but they had a very very easy path outside of Man City

Tom Foster

Yes, they would. Because at this level, it really is about how GOOD the players really are.

I always noticed, even during the Fergie years, how when we played the likes of Ajax,Anderlecht, Stuttgart etc, we only had to bring our B or C game and we’d usually get through.

Then up a level against the likes of Athletico, Juventus, Munich, Inter Milan. These would be serious battles and we had to play really well to get anything out of them.

But whenever we clash with these 2 (or their previous incarnates such as ACMilan), I always thought we’d have to do more than just beat them, to beat them).

To me as supporter, both Barcelona and Real always seem to be packed with players who only have to step out on a pitch, and they instantly look like world-beaters. Even the ones who aren’t renowned as world-class still look unbeatable. Also, not only are good footballers in possession, but they can unexpectedly dig-in when you’ve got them on the ropes.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Barca and Real play many many games in half filled stadiums and agaisnt sides that know they have zero chance.

In the premier league you simply have more big games. Everton even when shit is always a tough game at goodison. Its their cup final and atmosphere really does affect the game.

Perhaps Barca and real Madrid have so much quality that this wouldn't faze them but I think the premier league is mentally and physically more gruelling and there is a chance they would trail United and city and liverpool.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Barely, they nearly choked it.

This year’s Liverpool weren’t nearly as good as people thought. Shame Salah got injured in the final but they had a very very easy path outside of Man City
Who Nearly choked? Roma were so much better even in first leg.

Don't care how good Liverpool were, my post was "7th best team knocked out 2nd best in your league" type can be used for most teams.

Last edited:

the_irish123

Of course they would. Even that Barcelona that was behind Madrid played Arsenal and City several times over the past years or so and they would win scoring 3 or 4 goals always. Chelsea had to play a 11 man defense and still lost with no fight.

Sevilla, Atletico etc have outplayed EPL top teams for years now. Atletico massacred Mourinho's Chelsea who won the League.

Honestly the examples are too vast in the past decade, I don't even know how the majority here are saying they wouldn't dominate.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Of course they would. Even that Barcelona that was behind Madrid played Arsenal and City several times over the past years or so and they would win scoring 3 or 4 goals always. Chelsea had to play a 11 man defense and still lost with no fight.

Sevilla, Atletico etc have outplayed EPL top teams for years now. Atletico massacred Mourinho's Chelsea who won the League.

Honestly the examples are too vast in the past decade, I don't even know how the majority here are saying they wouldn't dominate.
Because based on your logic Spain are a worse team than England.

Treble

The question isn't whether Barca and Real would have dominated the PL. Things change quickly in football. The PL is stronger now than it was 2-3 years ago.

Chelsea created a lot of problems to Barca and the final result was misleading. Chelsea hit the post 4 times. In the context of Barca's preformances vs Chelsea, the defeat from Roma shouldn't have been that surprising.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Who Nearly choked? Roma were so much better even in first leg.

Don't care how good Liverpool were, my post was "7th best team knocked out 2nd best in your league" type can be used for most teams.
Roma lost the first leg 4-1 good lord

La Liga>>>>epl

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Roma lost the first leg 4-1 good lord

La Liga>>>>epl
And won return leg 3-0. First leg Roma played so well too.

Don't think anyone argued La Liga isn't best, some of the posts are just laughable though. Not surprising coming from residents of "Ronaldo vs Messi" thread.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Impossible to know. Teams are great within the context of their leagues. We're Barcelona and Real Madrid to move to the English Premier League what would change?

The tv money would change so they won't have as big a financial advantage as they currently have in Spain. They would face a lot more second balls and attacks through the channels.

The teams in the lower half sit deeper and defend their box a lot more because there is a goal difference to worry about.

Taking all this into account, then removing the advantage that the cities give them if they have to move then they probably wouldn't.

If they remain in Spain and have to fly to the UK for away matches that means the players would be tires so this would affect them on match days.

The context of their squads would change because of the playing style of the league.

Too may variables to give a definitive answer.

Inclined to belive they won't dominate the league as much as they do LaLiga.

LFCFAN

Supports
Liverpool
To add to my previous post:

In 16/17, Madrid were able to field a midfield and attack consisting of: Kovacic, Isco, Morata, James Rodriguez, Asensio, Lucas Vazquez and call it their B team.

3-4 of those players would walk into almost any team in the world and would drastically improve sides like Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Even city were trying to get kovacic this window and at a point Isco

Their squad has been an embarrassment of riches
Did you forget to list Man Utd or are they too good for those players to get a game.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People keep on repeating this mantra about how the PL is so tactically behind the other leagues but why exactly is this?

Even if we go by the assumption all English/ British managers are tactical dunces, there were only 5 English managers in the league last season, 3 of whom actually did very well considering their clubs resources (Howe, Dyche, Hughton). There were also no English managers in the top 6 teams.

For last season, no they wouldn't dominate. It is very difficult to dominate a team which dropped only 14 points all season.

However, they certainly (well Barcelona mostly) would have won most of the league titles in the past 10 years, if we're simply transplanting the team across without looking at other factors such as how revenue would be affected etc etc.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Of course not, I mean Spanish teams have been knocking out Premier League teams because they have less tactical awareness?

Complete urban myth, just look at clubs like West Ham being dumped of Europa League qualifiers against teams from Romania or Everton being completely outplayed by Lyon, Atalanta or Dynamo Kiev spending much more money.

If that is tactical astuteness, I don't even want to know what tactically clueless means.
Rubbish. The UEFA Cup is a ware of time for PL teams. They need to focus on staying in the money league.

Barca and Real play many many games in half filled stadiums and agaisnt sides that know they have zero chance.

In the premier league you simply have more big games. Everton even when shit is always a tough game at goodison. Its their cup final and atmosphere really does affect the game.

Perhaps Barca and real Madrid have so much quality that this wouldn't faze them but I think the premier league is mentally and physically more gruelling and there is a chance they would trail United and city and liverpool.
Bale and Suarez have said as much many times and there are numerous players who made the switch that have echoed this.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If Real and Barcelona would suddenly be PL teams I'd consider Barcelona the favorites yes, even after City's last season. Real have just sold Ronaldo, at the moment they're a question mark. The power is shifting now with the money in the PL leaving other behind in the dust but if they would have played here for the past 10 years then we wouldn't have seen SAF retire gracefully or any other team win for that matter.

Shaun Oldman

Real focus on the CL only because they were out of the title race by November.

If people think they see the CL as a kind of EPL>>>>>league cup situation that's utterly ridiculous.

CL 5
La Liga 4
Spanish Cup 1

Would be my perception of Reals importance per trophy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In those 10 years they didn’t win it 8 times. Difference to first place was: 17, 15, 9, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1
17/18, 12/13(Mourinho final season), 08/09(pre-CR7 even), 10/11(92 points), 13/14(87), 09/10(96!!!), 14/15(92), 15/16(90)

The argument of motivation probably holds true for last season. The rest of the time, we either imploded under internal strife(12/13), just weren't particularly good(08/09), or we were fecking great, competitive and lost out on fine margins. In both of Ancelotti's seasons injuries played a huge role(in 13/14 we did willingly throw the league in the final month to focus on the CL, but it was because of injuries. In 14/15 we were just unlucky. Modric missed more than half the season, and we had no depth), while in 15/16 Benitez was tragic and Barcelona were just much better, with the MSN in full flow(except for one month). In 09/10 and 10/11 we were up against that barcelona. 96 and 92 points and we barely challenged them...

If you dropped the 09/10 to 16/17 versions of Madrid and Barcelona into the respective PL seasons, they'd have dominated and won every title between them two. 12/13 aside they'd have finished first and second in every season, easily. Last season both would have finished behind City. This season, we'll see

Todd

As far as the quality of the players there's no doubt both Spanish clubs would be right at the top with City.

It'd be interesting to see how they'd fare with the increased physicality of the EPL and the winter conditions.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
As far as the quality of the players there's no doubt both Spanish clubs would be right at the top with City.

It'd be interesting to see how they'd fare with the increased physicality of the EPL and the winter conditions.
Spanish and South American players play in the premier league do you see them playing shit because’s cold?

3pwood

You do know Everton were in complete disarray during the first part of the last season right?

If I remember correctly Slavan Bilic was at West Ham when that happened and he completely lost the team that season as well, 2 awful examples you've picked there

Why not talk about Leicester (a mid table team at the time, it was not the team which won the league) knocking out Sevilla and having a good go against Atletico Madrid?

Last edited:

Colombian Mancunian

It depends, which versions of the teams and if current Premiership or the one from that age.

Madrid from two seasons ago just have loads of talent to compete on all fronts. They could win the PL from that year until now.

Current Madrid without Ronaldo and Zidane, will compete, but I don’t know if they can win it.

Barcelona... That frank team from 2008 to 2012 would have win at least one or two.... But United at that time were also behemoths so it’s not certain how would they compete against Barcelona on a season long league.

Current Barcelona are now without Iniesta, but have replaced him with Coutinho. I don’t think Busquets is enough to be as dominant as they are in La Liga, because of the physical aspect of the PL, but I think the can mount a title challenge. Specially considering they are a more vertical team since Luis Enrique. Possesion based Barcelona from Pep’s last year, Villanova, or Martino, would have get bullied during a whole season of PL... specially considering referees don’t fall for diving as much as they do in Spain.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You do know Everton were in complete disarray during the first part of the last season right?
So what. Do you want to compare money spent and budget to Atalanta?

They were completely outplayed against them and Lyon.

Also mentioned Dynamo Kiev when Martinez was their manager and they had Lukaku, and I could even go back when Moyes managed them when they lost 3:0 in Lisbon against a Sporting team managed by Carvalhal! :lol:

Sorry but outside the top 6 they are competitive, have higher budgets but they don't make the difference against their European counterparts.

3pwood

So what. Do you want to compare money spent and budget to Atalanta?

They were completely outplayed against them and Lyon.

Also mentioned Dynamo Kiev when Martinez was their manager and they had Lukaku, and I could even go back when Moyes managed them when they lost 3:0 in Lisbon against a Sporting team managed by Carvalhal! :lol:

Sorry but outside the top 6 they are competitive, have higher budgets but they don't make the difference against their European counterparts.
So what? really? With all due respect it is a comment of someone who doesn't watch football at all
Everton were down the bottom during their Europa League campaign

In the league they played 13 matches
3 Victories
2 Draws
7 Defeats

Morale was low, the team was playing like shit

A few days later after their 5-1 defeat to Atalanta they also lost 4-1 to Southampton, Everton were shit last season before Big Sam, so your point is???

==

And you want to play the "let's pick up a few matches to prove our point"? oh I can do that!
You mentioned the 3-0 defeat to your Sporting but failed to mention Everton won at home, the same thing against Dynamo Kiev
I loved that you ignored what I said about Leicester

2 seasons ago this happened

youtube.com/watch?v=hLBfZ7fZNQU

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So what? really? With all due respect it is a comment of someone who doesn't watch football at all
Everton were down the bottom during their Europa League campaign

In the league they played 13 matches
3 Victories
2 Draws
7 Defeats

Morale was low, the team was playing like shit

A few days later after their 5-1 defeat to Atalanta they also lost 4-1 to Southampton, Everton were shit last season before Big Sam, so your point is???

==

And you want to play the "let's pick up a few matches to prove our point"? oh I can do that!
You mentioned the 3-0 defeat to your Sporting but failed to mention Everton won at home, the same thing against Dynamo Kiev
I loved that you ignored what I said about Leicester

2 seasons ago this happened

youtube.com/watch?v=hLBfZ7fZNQU
Yup it has really everything to do with watching football to know clubs outside the top 6 don't match their budgets and investments in Europe. Your point about Barcelona and Real is?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I was responding you, not the thread

The current Barcelona and Real Madrid wouldn't dominate the premier league
Yes they would finish in 7th or 8th. Of course.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
They would have struggled to win it back in 2007-2012. After that it would have been a walk in the park, Man Utd 2013 being the exception, possibly Chelsea 2015 being a moderate challenge as well. I mean, Mancini's City? Pellegrini's City? Leicester 2016? Conte's Chelsea? So easy... Even Pep's City would have finished 3rd with Madrid and Barça in the Prem...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They would have struggled to win it back in 2007-2012. After that it would have been a walk in the park, Man Utd 2013 being the exception, possibly Chelsea 2015 being a moderate challenge as well. I mean, Mancini's City? Pellegrini's City? Leicester 2016? Conte's Chelsea? So easy... Even Pep's City would have finished 3rd with Madrid and Barça in the Prem...
United after Ronaldo left were good for the next 4 seasons but nowhere near the Barca-Madrid duopoly of that time. This was Messi at his absolute peak as a dribbler and goalscorer, Ronaldo matching him in goal numbers, on top of it you had a ridiculously good Barca midfield and a Madrid team that was optimised for lightning counters...

Starting with 2009, Pep's first season, till now, I think Real/Barca would have won the league each time. Pep's City and 2012-13 United would have been the big challenges (since both Barca and Madrid were below standard in 2013).

SpyLuke10

United after Ronaldo left were good for the next 4 seasons but nowhere near the Barca-Madrid duopoly of that time. This was Messi at his absolute peak as a dribbler and goalscorer, Ronaldo matching him in goal numbers, on top of it you had a ridiculously good Barca midfield and a Madrid team that was optimised for lightning counters...

Starting with 2009, Pep's first season, till now, I think Real/Barca would have won the league each time. Pep's City and 2012-13 United would have been the big challenges (since both Barca and Madrid were below standard in 2013).
Madrid were shit (relatively) up until 2011-12. You're a bit deluded if you think they'd have beaten United between 2009-2011. Barca though, well...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid were shit (relatively) up until 2011-12. You're a bit deluded if you think they'd have beaten United between 2009-2011. Barca though, well...
comfortably the second best team in the world in 2009/10 and 2010/11. But carry on...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hmm nah, that would have been United who reached 3 CL finals in 4 years during that period.
09/10 is debatable. 10/11 is not. We were the only team that came even close to barcelona that season. Your 10/11 team was quite a far cry from the 06/07-08/09 teams. Hard to beat but hardly an incredible side. You were better in 09/10 imho

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
comfortably the second best team in the world in 2009/10 and 2010/11. But carry on...
Woah, really? Madrid second best team in the world in 2009/10? They got eliminated by Lyon that year. Barça was the second best team in 2009/10, only surpassed by Inter in the semis, in an anticipated final.

I do agree, though, that 2010/11 Madrid was overall better than 2010/11 Man Utd.

Here's how I see it (the Pep's Barça 2009-2012 years)

2009 1. Barça / 2. Man Utd / 3. Chelsea
2010 1. Inter / 2. Barça / 3. Bayern
2011 1. Barça / 2. Madrid / 3. Man Utd
2012 1. Chelsea / 2. Madrid / 3. Barça
bonus 2013 1. Bayern / 2. Borussia D. / 3. Barça

Last edited by a moderator:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona were much better than Inter, we went out against Lyon, sure, just like City went out to liverpool, or Barcelona to chelsea in 2012, etc. It happens. Higuain's legend began in that tie :lol:

:(:(:(:(

I think us, chelsea, united and inter were the best teams behind barcelona, and i think we had cristiano ronaldo at his best, so...

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Of course, they would walk through the league. For the first couple of seasons. Then, when they lost the money advantage they got from TV rights in Spain and would have to share with the rest of the league, they'd probably struggle to keep their dominance.