Would City's 2nd XI beat us?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lets say their consensus strongest 11 is Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Mendy, Fernandinho, D. Silva, De Bruyne, B. Silva, Sterling, Aguero

That would mean the two sides would line up

de Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Pogba
James Lingard Rashford
Martial​
against
Bravo
Cancelo Otamendi Garcia Zinchenko
Rodri
Gundogan Foden
Mahrez Jesus Sane​

I honestly think they'd have a shot at beating us, which is pretty crazy when you think about how bad of a massacre it would be if our 2nd XI faced their starters.

Raw

Their attack and midfield are both better than ours, and their defence isn't that far off ours either. Christ.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Nope. City have an incredible first team. And sometimes when second stringers like Mahrez or Foden step in they look class. However their first team has stand out players (De Bruyne/Silva/Silva/Aguero/Sterling) that elevate everyone around them. Without all of those players, the rest wouldn’t look great.

izec

I think they would. Their attack and midfield are comfortably better. What people forget is they would play the same system and with the same intensity as their first team. We wouldnt see much off the ball. Our only hope would be their CBs and GK doing mistakes, since they are garbage compared to the first team

WireMUFC

Don’t see the point in these threads tbh they’re just embarrassing.

We know we’re shite. It’s like something you’d see on a City or Liverpool forum gloating about how shit we are.

Swear some of our fans are more insufferable than some oppo fans.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Hundreds upon hundreds of millions spent on a squad that would seriously struggle to beat City’s second side.

Good job Ed, Van Gaal, Mourinho and our scouting department.
Bunch of amateurs.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Hundreds upon hundreds of billions spent on a squad that would seriously struggle to beat City’s second side.

Good job Ed, Van Gaal, Mourinho and our scouting department.
Bunch of amateurs.
Millions*

We've not spent hundreds of billions haha :lol:

What's even more mind blowing is our net spend over the last 5 years is only slightly lower than theirs and far higher than Liverpool's.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

We know we’re shite. It’s like something you’d see on a City or Liverpool forum gloating about how shit we are.

Yep

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yeah, looks like our fans are trying their best to be miserable and getting creative.

Infra-red

Perhaps we'll find out - the CL last 16 2nd leg matches will be 3 days after the Manchester derby in March. Reserve team from City, perhaps.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Oh and while I'm here @Schmeichel's Cartwheel I'm still waiting on Ziyech to Bayern which you said you'd take great pleasure in proving me wrong on...
As if you've remembered that like 4 months later! :lol:

Didn't happen obviously. I remember a few credible sources saying it was a done deal. You were right, I was wrong. Good job! :D:cool:

Yeah, looks like our fans are trying their best to be miserable and getting creative.
Nah, I don't need to try to be miserable when it comes to our last 6 years. Stemmed from a conversation with my colleague, who is a City fan. He said from our entire squad he'd only take de Gea, Maguire, Shaw, Pogba & Rashford, all as back-ups, which led us to discussing whether we'd beat their 2nd string or not.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

This 100%. I Only joined a couple of years back, I find some of it cringeworthy. It's hard to believe some (lots) of posters are actually fans of the club at all.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm not sure I'd put Rodri as second team for City, but it doesn't really matter as either Fernandinho or Rodri would get in our first XI.

Sane, maybe Mahrez, and Gundogan would also get into our first XI I'd wager.

It's sad to even have the discussion, but I think we would and should beat them. Our defence is definitely better, but their midfield is probably a bit better if not at least on par and the attack is pretty close as well.

romufc

It is a disgrace, this whole thread.

I'm not sure I'd put Rodri as second team for City, but it doesn't really matter as either Fernandinho or Rodri would get in our first XI.

Sane, maybe Mahrez, and Gundogan would also get into our first XI I'd wage

Oh great now we have fans discussing who is first choice and isn't for City :lol::lol:

Sterling Archer

I've never put much stock into this. It's just a grass is greener scenario. Teams that win the lot done wind up needing a full second eleven. It's players here and there to come chip in. One of our most successful years, now over a decade ago was the CL winning squad. I actually couldn't remember much of the first team beyond the starting eleven so I put together a similar '2nd side' based on most number of appearances after the starters:

Tomas Kuszczak
O'Shea -- Evans -- Pique -- Simpson
Eagles -- Fletcher -- Park -- Martin/Campbell
Fangzhou -- Saha

At that time especially, you couldn't look at that and say they'd finish higher than 5th even under Sir Alex.

City's squad is luxury and riches I don't even care for.

Red71

This 100%. I Only joined a couple of years back, I find some of it cringeworthy. It's hard to believe some (lots) of posters are actually fans of the club at all.
Yeah, I wonder the same thing sometimes. Really weird...setting up a thread to shite over your team...

The stock answer to his mate when the conversation started should have been “who gives a feck about Shitteh “!

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
City's second XI front three is way better than ours in quality and balance

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Not all fan forum threads would/should be similar. There are tactics, player discussions, transfers, opposition tracking, Match threads, etc but lot of fans indulge in whimsy such as what ifs, self ceiticizing humor etc. The whole point of this is that you pick and choose the discussion you want to partake in. No point criticizing fellow fans or trying to determine what a '''true fan" is supposed to be.

UpWithRivers

Anyone can beat us....just defend deep and wait for an opportunity on the counter. Point being if they try and come at us like the first team would I think we would win. Sit back and we would probably loose. Over a season they would be one or two places above us.

el3mel

Their second string midfield and attack are street ahead of our main lineup it's funny. :lol:

Stacks

Nope. City have an incredible first team. And sometimes when second stringers like Mahrez or Foden step in they look class. However their first team has stand out players (De Bruyne/Silva/Silva/Aguero/Sterling) that elevate everyone around them. Without all of those players, the rest wouldn’t look great.
Rodri Gundogan Mahrez and Sane have all done it without the players you named. Mahrez has been PFA player of the year. Foden is the question mark. The rest are all proven. With Pep as their coach they would beat us more

Ish

Lights on for Luke
On paper it sure seems that way, or it would be quite close. But it shows you what a good squad they have. They’ve spent wisely. Infinitely better than us, I’d say.

What would our second XI be?

—————————Romero

Jones———Tuanzebe——-Bailly———-Young

—————————-Matic

—————-Fred—————-Pereira

———Mata——————————Gomes
————-———-Greenwood

Subs: Chong, Rojo

Lynty

Agreed.

But it be close.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
So basically another thread where posters like you don't even bother commenting on the topic at hand but just take a swipe at fans with the wrong attitude.

For what it's worth, I find some of the threads and posts to be hysterical, over the top etc etc. But that's what a forum is for no? Fan's viewpoints?

Certainly find it more tolerable than some of you patrolling these threads like sentry dogs acting as the Redcafe Thought Police.

On topic, I think a second string Man City XI might well be favourites to beat us atm. We are in transition though.