Would City's 2nd XI beat us?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So basically another thread where posters like you don't even bother commenting on the topic at hand but just take a swipe at fans with the wrong attitude.

For what it's worth, I find some of the threads and posts to be hysterical, over the top etc etc. But that's what a forum is for no? Fan's viewpoints?

Certainly find it more tolerable than some of you patrolling these threads like sentry dogs acting as the Redcafe Thought Police.

On topic, I think a second string Man City XI might well be favourites to beat us atm. We are in transition though.
So you find some of the threads and posts hysterical, I found this thread to be over the top but I shouldn't mention it because it's a forum? So I can't voice my opinion that these threads are just finding a way to be miserable?

Your post is just contradictory, asking me not to post my opinion.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If their bench were players from the first team, it could be rough.

In other case Pogba would boss that match with assist in mind.

Lee565

Considering that Guardiola would be managing that second string side, yes they would beat our 1st team.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've never put much stock into this. It's just a grass is greener scenario. Teams that win the lot done wind up needing a full second eleven. It's players here and there to come chip in. One of our most successful years, now over a decade ago was the CL winning squad. I actually couldn't remember much of the first team beyond the starting eleven so I put together a similar '2nd side' based on most number of appearances after the starters:

Tomas Kuszczak
O'Shea -- Evans -- Pique -- Simpson
Eagles -- Fletcher -- Park -- Martin/Campbell
Fangzhou -- Saha

At that time especially, you couldn't look at that and say they'd finish higher than 5th even under Sir Alex.

City's squad is luxury and riches I don't even care for.
That's not really a 2nd XI, more like a 3rd XI.

We didn't really have a set starting eleven that season, we had a lot of players rotating, but if you take our CL Final eleven as our first choice, our 2nd XI would be
Kuszczak
Neville Pique Silvestre O'Shea
Fletcher
Anderson Giggs
Park Saha Nani
Which I would argue is stronger than the City 2nd XI listed in the opening post. Our 2007-08 squad was very very strong, with excellent depth.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If we played five games they’d win three.
I think it would finish 2 wins each with 1 draw.

I doubt rashford and co can light it up for 3 games. They'd get inevitably frustrated and stop playing whenever Otamendi does a nasty tackle and the ref just waves play on.

City would expose our weak midfield as well. However, their defense is terrible.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So you find some of the threads and posts hysterical, I found this thread to be over the top but I shouldn't mention it because it's a forum? So I can't voice my opinion that these threads are just finding a way to be miserable?

Exactly what I thought when reading his post. :lol:

He's in his feelings.

stepic

their bench attack shits all over ours. it's not even close. besides Pogba, their backup midfield does too.

shahzy

Who said they would have a shot? That's optimistic. If that XI you mentioned is their second team they'd win 2/3-0 easily.

You're forgetting the most important thing. They are coached by the best coach in the world who has them playing in a way where everyone knows where to go and where to be at any moment. We'd get wiped off the park

TRUERED89

Gordon S

They could give any team in the league a battering, bar Liverpool of course.
Ferran, Txiki and now also Pep, had almost unlimited amounts of money to build the club up from close to nothing, and they have done a fantastic job as well. A fantastic achievement. Don't think we should beat ourselves up with this stick.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
Im confident that side would get top 4 but not so sure Utd will, or Us for that matter.

VJ1762

We are losing to the likes of crystal palace. City's 2nd XI would put 3 or 4 past us for sure.

Tel074

Lets say their consensus strongest 11 is Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Mendy, Fernandinho, D. Silva, De Bruyne, B. Silva, Sterling, Aguero

That would mean the two sides would line up

de Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Pogba
James Lingard Rashford
Martial​
against
Bravo
Cancelo Otamendi Garcia Zinchenko
Rodri
Gundogan Foden
Mahrez Jesus Sane​

I honestly think they'd have a shot at beating us, which is pretty crazy when you think about how bad of a massacre it would be if our 2nd XI faced their starters.
Bottom line that City side would spank us

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

We usually run their first 11 quite close so doubt it, maybe on paper but game isn't played there
Not really to be honest mate. Even in recent draws and wins for us, we've been played off the park for large periods. Last game between the two sides where we were the better team was probably the 0-0 at OT in 2016 that we really should have won. They've absolutely battered us in every game since Pep arrived, aside from about 20 minutes in the 2-3 when they bottled it.

Trezeguet17

That's not really a 2nd XI, more like a 3rd XI.

We didn't really have a set starting eleven that season, we had a lot of players rotating, but if you take our CL Final eleven as our first choice, our 2nd XI would be
Kuszczak
Neville Pique Silvestre O'Shea
Fletcher
Anderson Giggs
Park Saha Nani
Which I would argue is stronger than the City 2nd XI listed in the opening post. Our 2007-08 squad was very very strong, with excellent depth.
I would only pick O'Shea > Zinchenko, Pique > Garcia and Giggs > Foden.
Close between Nani and Sane

Canagel

Not really to be honest mate. Even in recent draws and wins for us, we've been played off the park for large periods. Last game between the two sides where we were the better team was probably the 4-2 in 2015.
It's sad how the tables turned. Go from a match like 4-2 playing in a attractive attacking style to parking the bus and defending for our lives by last season. Even in 2016 we were equal and only separated by GD.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

It's sad how the tables turned. Go from a match like 4-2 playing in a attractive attacking style to parking the bus and defending for our lives by last season. Even in 2016 we were equal and only separated by GD.
Edited the post because I remembered a 0-0 draw the year after that we absolutely battered them in. Pellegrini's last season when they were awful and still finished above us :lol:

ExoduS

It is insane that they can actually pay that much money in salaries... Those 22 players that they have are expensive. Also it is amazing that they can keep all those players happy where they are just content with not playing every single game. Simply incredible.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

The point is - and I do realise the hypocritical state I'm now entering into - it's completely off topic to make posts that have nothing to do with the thread title and you should post your critiques of the state of the fanbase in an appropriately titled thread. It gets boring watching some of yous just moan about the moaners. Even though I realise that I'm now moaning about the moaning about the moaning. An infinite cycle of moaning. The point is to at least try to stay on topic not just chirp up every time you get triggered by a thread title. This thread isn't even one of the worst ones and is an interesting thought experiment.

Exactly what I thought when reading his post. :lol:

He's in his feelings.
Thanks for the analysis Spock. Great contribution, as ever.

Back on topic again, City have an incredibly strong squad and I think even their second string would make top 4.

Amerifan

I didn’t need this. That is one deep bench. Do it with Liverpool’s second XI and we’ll all feel much better.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I'd say if you play them ten times, they'll win at least six of those.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I didn’t need this. That is one deep bench. Do it with Liverpool’s second XI and we’ll all feel much better.
Assuming their CL final starting eleven is their first choice, it'd be
Adrian
Clyne Gomez Lovren Milner
Shaqiri Chamberlain Keita Lallana
Origi Brewster​
I'm pretty confident we'd twat them :drool::cool:

paulscholes18

I'm not sure I'd put Rodri as second team for City, but it doesn't really matter as either Fernandinho or Rodri would get in our first XI.

Sane, maybe Mahrez, and Gundogan would also get into our first XI I'd wager.

It's sad to even have the discussion, but I think we would and should beat them. Our defence is definitely better, but their midfield is probably a bit better if not at least on par and the attack is pretty close as well.
What do you mean maybe Mahrez? He’s head and shoulders above anything we got on our right side

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
DdG > Bravo

Shaw < Zinchenko
Maguire > Otamendi
Lindelof > Garcia
AWB > Cancelo

McT < Fernandinho
Lingard < Gundogan
Pogba > Foden

James < Mahrez
Rashford < Sane
Martial < Jesus

6-5 in favor of City, in terms of just players. Their coach also elevates these players to better levels

my two cents