Would Fellaini improve under a new manager?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's one of those players that Van gaal doesn't naturally like, but he's one of the very few players that have really proved themselves with the limited opportunity given to you. That is exactly the mentality you want as a United player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's one of those players that Van gaal doesn't naturally like
I'm not sure if you mean historically LVG doesn't like players like Fellaini but if you're not then I think it's quite the contrary, Herrera is a prime example of a player LVG doesn't like/seem to fancy for god knows what reason whereas Fellaini when fit has been a regular starter this season and now he's over his illness and helped turn the game at the weekend will surely be a starter again against Leicester

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Fellaini for me is good when he's played as the third man in midfield, but when we are playing two deeper players I question whether his range of passing is good enough.

He's certainly worth keeping in the squad, and has done well this season. He is improving and hopefully continues to do so. Done better than a lot of other higher reputation players have in our midfield.
That was the issue Moyes faced when trying to integrate him into the side. He imagined Fellaini to be part of a deep lying midfield 2 with Carrick, which backfired spectacularly. Van Gaal is doing what Belgium do with him, play him closer to the box and he looks an entirely different player. You could argue he has rescued more points for us this season in that role than Mata did and showed much better composure and finishing on his chances. I see absolutely no reason why he should not be in our squad, he offers something none of the other midfielders do and he's quite content being a squad player rescuing valuable points in short run outs.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I was under the impression our results started to improve when Carrick came back from injury. Could be wrong. Not into stats.
In the league, we won like 6 in a row before Fellaini got injured. Then we only won 1 in 4 games when he's out. It could be 1 in 5 games if he didn't play in the last one. Maybe it's the other midfielders that need to be upgraded.

MDFC Manager

In the league, we won like 6 in a row before Fellaini got injured. Then we only won 1 in 4 games when he's out. It could be 1 in 5 games if he didn't play in the last one. Maybe it's the other midfielders that need to be upgraded.
I think the Carrick improving us thing may well be a myth as he's not been good at all recently.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think the Carrick improving us thing may well be a myth as he's not been good at all recently.
Carrick definitely stabilize our team, in defense at least. No more a hectic last 15 minutes we used to suffer. His ability to move between CB and DM is a great asset.

Alex Styles

I was under the impression our results started to improve when Carrick came back from injury. Could be wrong. Not into stats.
Yes but then Fellaini got sick and all the while we still had Carrick in the team we hardly won any games and lost to Soton. So it then became apparent that while Carrick is also essential to our success, for the moment, so is Afroman!

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He hasn't improved, we have deteriorated into a team that hoofs the ball a lot; winning those balls was always his strength and the reason he was so successful for Everton in the big games.

He is the same player we bought from Everton.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Did you hear Sir Alex's praise a few weeks backs?

He is a seriously good player, and his work is exemplary both on and off the ball. Sadly a lot of his work is missed by TV cameras following the ball.

MDFC Manager

Did you hear Sir Alex's praise a few weeks backs?

He is a seriously good player, and his work is exemplary both on and off the ball. Sadly a lot of his work is missed by TV cameras following the ball.
I'm a Carrick fan and I agree with SAFs assessment. My point is that his contribution this particular season has been a tad overstated. Especially since the turn of the year, he really hasn't been good.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm a Carrick fan and I agree with SAFs assessment. My point is that his contribution this particular season has been a tad overstated. Especially since the turn of the year, he really hasn't been good.
Midfielders rely on forwards to make runs and be in a position to receive passes. Likewise, forwards need a good supply to be successful. There definitely seems a problem, I'm not sure where the blame lies.

Ainu

He hasn't improved, we have deteriorated into a team that hoofs the ball a lot; winning those balls was always his strength and the reason he was so successful for Everton in the big games.

He is the same player we bought from Everton.
He has quite clearly improved from last season, which is what this thread was about.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
In retrospect, this is turning out to be my most important Thread. Who woulda thunk it? :wenger: