Would Sir Alex sell Wayne Rooney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If at the end of the season his form hasn't improved much?

You know how Fergie feels about off pitch distractions and there's been a couple of comments in the last few weeks that makes me think the pair of them could have had a falling out. The latest of which being today where Rooney has said he has not had any injuries this season. Despite Fergie saying injury was the reason he missed the Fulham and Valencia games.

Many of us suspected that there was no injury and that Fergie was protecting his player but with Rooney coming to the press and saying this is it an act of speaking out against the manager in reaction to being dropped?

Also, in the Summer Rooney will only have a year to run on his contract.

Personally I don't think he's going anywhere but I think it's certainly worth debating.

How would you guys react to Fergie getting rid of one of the most talented players in the World for the second time in 3 years? No player is bigger than Sir Alex, but Sir Alex might not be around much longer himself....
I bet the first reply is simply someone saying "No".

RonaldoVII

:lol:

no. He'll get a new contract sooner or later, his form will improve as he gets more games and he'll get back scoring goals and everything will be rosey.

Carl

:lol:

no. He'll get a new contract sooner or later, his form will improve as he gets more games and he'll get back scoring goals and everything will be rosey.
His poor form has already gone on for 5 months, who's to say it couldn't go on for another 5?

5 months of the same level of performance surely wouldn't merit the sort of contract he'll be wanting.

RonaldoVII

His poor form has already gone on for 5 months, who's to say it couldn't go on for another 5?

5 months of the same level of performance surely wouldn't merit the sort of contract he'll be wanting.
He should only be judged on this season as he was injured at the end of last season and we clearly brought him back too soon to try and salvage our own season. With 9 games in 29 days, he should get his chance to find his form in the next month. Otherwise he should have to fight for his place like the rest.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Because each summer we judge them solely on the collective performances of last season?

Or, he might think, right, Wayne's had a poor season, how can we get him back to that stunner of a season the year before?

But then again, at the end of the season I doubt we will be anywhere near this sort of conversation anyway.

Carl

He should only be judged on this season as he was injured at the end of last season and we clearly brought him back too soon to try and salvage our own season. With 9 games in 29 days, he should get his chance to find his form in the next month. Otherwise he should have to fight for his place like the rest.
Fair enough.

Because each summer we judge them solely on the collective performances of last season?

Or, he might think, right, Wayne's had a poor season, how can we get him back to that stunner of a season the year before?

But then again, at the end of the season I doubt we will be anywhere near this sort of conversation anyway.
I think we'd be relucting to offer him the massive contract he'll want if he continues to have a poor season.

Manchester United fan in jumping the gun shocker.
I'm not jumping any gun. Read the OP. I said I don't think he's going anywhere, just that it was worth debating.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Fair enough.

I think we'd be relucting to offer him the massive contract he'll want if he continues to have a poor season.

I'm not jumping any gun. Read the OP. I said I don't think he's going anywhere, just that it was worth debating.
Really? He would have been worth that contract last season, are we of the opinion that he is having a bad spell, or losing his ability at this level?

Blair

How would you guys react to Fergie getting rid of one of the most talented players in the World for the second time in 3 years?
Not as badly as selling Ronaldo.

There's a few strikers who are better than Rooney but there was nobody close to Ronaldo's class when we sold him.

Ole'sbodyguard

I really don't think Rooney's 'poor' form goes over a particularly extended period.

The whole end of last season he was rushed back from an injury which he re-aggravated in the Bayern game so for me all of those games should be discounted.

No one had a good World Cup for England and again it's nothing to do with United so I'd leave that out.

I just judge him on the start to the season he has made with United which is well below his normal level of performance but nothing to pressing as we are only 2 months into the season and we are almost through the international disruptions.

The only concerning thing is the off pitch distractions concerning his affair. That needs to be settled behind closed doors so he can get on with his football and come good again. Leaving him out of some recent games had made alot of sense but he needs to getting a regular run now to get over that. Despite having improved options this year, Rooney's still comfortably our best forward player and we need to give him a chance to get back to his best. That's a no-brainer.

We will have to wait and see what Fergie will make of the comment on the ankle injury. I don't think it's a particularly big issue and should not cause any further complications.

United's policy on contracts normally comes good and if Rooney does not want to sign a new one, he's not worth the hassle in any event, so for me that is irrelevant. He's always indicated he wants to stay with United for his peak years and I see nothing to alter that.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Would he, Yes.. Will he, No.
I agree with this.

Why do people get so uptight about a debate surrounding a player who is clearly having troubles? Calling for an overreaction when there isn't one is as typical as an overreaction itself, on here.

Ferguson would do whatever is right for the club, so yes he'd sell him if he thought it was right. But Rooney's too good for his form to slump much longer anyway. So I don't think there'll be much fuss in a few months time.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
The papers today are absolutely laughable, Rooney will sign a new contract in the next six months and the journos will move on to unsettling Nani.
Yes and no. They're building it up, quite clearly. However, Rooney's comments were stupid.

When asked after the Montenegro game if his ankle had caused any problems, Rooney replied: "No, I've had no ankle problem all season."

He repeated his denial when asked the question for a second time.

Then when asked "Why did Alex Ferguson say you had?", Rooney laughed and replied: "I don't know."

Not clever, Wayne. "The ankle feels fine", would've done. He really doesn't need more attention placed on him and the situation.

TheMancRedDevil

Fergie has stuck by Berbatov for a whole two seasons when he clearly wasn't performing to the level we all knew he was capable of and for that reason alone I don't think Fergie will be turfing Rooney out just yet, especially when there are several things which could all be contributing to Rooney's poor form at the moment. Things which, given time, can be put behind him.

phelans shorts

Even playing for England was clearly against Fergie's wishes, the ankle injury will have been faked (IMHO) and he was being given some time to sort out his issues with his wife, however he decided to tell Fabio he was fit and played.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
He might have had his head turned by Madrid. SAF might have no choice but to sell him for 20 mil.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Problem with this thread is that it isn't worth debating.

Anyway, if Fergie feels someone has to go they will go. Really doesn't matter who they are. Rooney is not as good as a lot of players who have played for United before and under Fergie. But unless something exceptionally bad happens, Fergie won't have any reason to do so whatsoever so I'm not sure what this thread is about.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
He might have had his head turned by Madrid. SAF might have no choice but to sell him for 20 mil.
I don't think the prospect of Madrid would interest Rooney. I think the change in culture would be too much, the language a barrier and little guarantee of first team football every game with the players they have.

Longsden_7

If at the end of the season his form hasn't improved much?

You know how Fergie feels about off pitch distractions and there's been a couple of comments in the last few weeks that makes me think the pair of them could have had a falling out. The latest of which being today where Rooney has said he has not had any injuries this season. Despite Fergie saying injury was the reason he missed the Fulham and Valencia games.

Many of us suspected that there was no injury and that Fergie was protecting his player but with Rooney coming to the press and saying this is it an act of speaking out against the manager in reaction to being dropped?

Also, in the Summer Rooney will only have a year to run on his contract.

Personally I don't think he's going anywhere but I think it's certainly worth debating.

How would you guys react to Fergie getting rid of one of the most talented players in the World for the second time in 3 years? No player is bigger than Sir Alex, but Sir Alex might not be around much longer himself....
I bet the first reply is simply someone saying "No".
Aye SAF was pushing Ronaldo to the exit every season :rolleyes:

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In answer to the original poster, of course Ferguson would.

If there is a breakdown in their relationship, as there was with Stam for example, then I am sure Ferguson wouldn't have any qualms about moving Rooney.

What seems a little worrying is that Rooney has come out and disputed Ferguson's claim that he has an ankle problem. This is the sort of thing that, if true, suggests that all is not well between the two of them.

Then, as someone else has mentioned, there are the Glazers, whom I believe would not have any problem getting Ferguson to carry out orders. If Real really would pay 90m for Rooney, then I think he'll be gone.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think the prospect of Madrid would interest Rooney. I think the change in culture would be too much, the language a barrier and little guarantee of first team football every game with the players they have.
On the contrary, I think Rooney not being able to understand a thing that is reported about him is the kind of situation that might appeal to him. I am pretty sure he'd be guaranteed first team football anywhere he plays.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Firstly Sir Alex didn't get rid of Ronaldo. He'd have him back in an instant.

Secondly, No.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
On the contrary, I think Rooney not being able to understand a thing that is reported about him is the kind of situation that might appeal to him. I am pretty sure he'd be guaranteed first team football anywhere he plays.
Hes Scouse, you think he understands english?

Care_de_Bobo

Even playing for England was clearly against Fergie's wishes, the ankle injury will have been faked (IMHO) and he was being given some time to sort out his issues with his wife, however he decided to tell Fabio he was fit and played.
This is bullshit I'm afraid, when Rooney picked up the injury Ferguson said that Wayne would probably miss the Valencia and Sunderland games but should be fit enough for England's next game. It is more likely that Ferguson didn't want to play Rooney for United because it wouldn't be in the best interests of the team but didn't mind him playing for England as it was a chance for him to maybe regain a bit of form without affecting United if he still wasn't up to his normal level.

People want to make something out of nothing, fans are just as bad as the press imo.

Carl

Fergie has stuck by Berbatov for a whole two seasons when he clearly wasn't performing to the level we all knew he was capable of and for that reason alone I don't think Fergie will be turfing Rooney out just yet, especially when there are several things which could all be contributing to Rooney's poor form at the moment. Things which, given time, can be put behind him.
But Berbatov hasn't had any off field distractions. Something it is well documented that Fergie doesn't like.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Yes, but he'd have to, you know, live in Spain. I can't see him adapting or wanting to.

stubie

Rooney out, Benzema in?
Everything with Rooney will be sorted out soon on & off the pitch for the benefit of him & Man Utd. As for Benzema I think we should keep away from him, he has not set the world alight at Madrid.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Yes, Rooney, the most talented english player SAF's seen in 20, or was it 50, years would be sold because he had an off season.. And he's yet to play 10 games

Redrage

This is laughable, a few bad games and the typical media tripe starts.

Cina

Yes, Rooney, the most talented english player SAF's seen in 20, or was it 50, years would be sold because he had an off season.. And he's yet to play 10 games
Just because it's said doesn't mean it's true. Scholes is :)

Anyway, he won't be sold, not for years at least.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
fergie would ship his mother out if he thought it would help the team
Yep... this is the answer.

Ten years ago there were those that said Becks would NEVVVVVVER leave United. There were, also, those that didn't care for Beckham, too.

The fecked up thing about this whole Rooney issue is, his form fluctuates. From month to month there is no telling if he will drop in goals or have a breakout month. So, to say it depends on his form is nonsense. He is quality and that is all there is to that.

Fergie will do what he does best... whether we like it or not... he will do what is best for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.