Would the Glazers actually be too scared to employ a young SAF if he was around now?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
With what’s transpiring in the current crisis at Utd, it’s clear that the Glazers have become outright frightened of assertive, demanding, ‘scary’ managers and prefer someone easy to handle, even if it means mediocre coaching within the club.

I think this is a real issue that deserves conversation in its own right because Utd, at the best of times, is a club that outright demands a ‘scary’ and intense manager in order to succeed…

And this current Utd - the one that’s been shaped by decisions the Glazers have made, clearly demands a dominant and dogged figure to get it back on track.

The equation of having elite club owners who are, by all accounts, actually scared to employ demanding, abrasive characters while simultaneously forever trying to emulate the single most demanding, abrasive manager in PL history is obviously a very strange situation indeed…

Do people forget that peak Alex Ferguson was volatile? He was unpopular - hated by basically everyone that wasn’t at Utd, and even some who were at Utd! He was incredibly demanding and more than anything else, he was fecking TERRIFYING.

I personally feel that ironically, young Fergie would be way too much for the current board at Utd to deal with.

But I suppose the broader point is that, while it’s now clear that the Glazers found the LvG and Mourinho reigns intimidating, they did both bring honours to the club.

And while not being owners who understand football or football culture is not ideal, it’s still workable… but being Man Utd owners who are actually too afraid to employ demanding, intimidating managers is really not doable.

I think back to the ‘Disneyland’ comment by Woodward that made Klopp run a mile… and what is Disneyland? It’s soft, it’s friendly, it’s pleasant - these are not adjectives that describe peak Fergie, at all. And they’re not adjectives that describe what Man Utd needs to become again.

If the Glazers are going to bring success back to Utd, they need to toughen up and realise that this isn’t a job for a ‘nice guy’.

Alex Ferguson was not a nice guy manager - and he was just what Utd needed to get back on track.

I believe that for all it’s commercial appeal, Man Utd in reality is a pressure cooker of a club - always has been, always will be. And it needs a mad bastard in order to keep it under control.

Hopefully the Glazers can realise this quickly, because while the Ole era might’ve been ‘pleasant’ and ‘mellow’ for them, it has failed. And if they’re going to succeed as owners, they need to be willing to accept that this club is a monster, not a theme park, and might very well require a monster manager to handle it…

Chairman Steve

Hypothetical young SAF would be snapped up by Liverpool, City or Chelsea, maybe even Newcastle as of right now.

I think if the Glazers were around back in those days, they’d be persisting with Dave Sexton or Wilf McGuinness

Greck

They would barely even know who he was. The glazers don't even seem to even know what a playing philosophy looks like or their faith in the last 2 managers won't have gone on for anywhere as long as it did. These guys don't know much about 'soccer'.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I don’t know about scared, but I don’t think they would be looking at Scotland for a manager given our appointments in the Glazer era. Not trendy enough. They would want a big name, from a big club rather than some up and coming talent. And by they of course I mean Woodward on their behalf.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Do people forget that peak Alex Ferguson was volatile? He was unpopular - hated by basically everyone that wasn’t at Utd, and even some who were at Utd! He was incredibly demanding and more than anything else, he was fecking TERRIFYING.
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Sir Alex Ferguson.

Considering they made an attempt on Klopp when he was still under contract at Dortmund, and have taken massive risks on Moyes and Ole, no is clearly the answer. They would obviously take him.

Caesar2290

Forget the Glazers, our own fans would write him off before he is going to set foot inside OT.

The "he hasn't coached in a major league" "can he handle the big egos" "there is more pressure at United than Aberdeen, will he be able to handle it" "Can he imprint his style of play, this isn't Aberdeen", etc etc

Just go to the Ten Hag thread for inspiration ;)

Plant0x84

Considering they made an attempt on Klopp when he was still under contract at Dortmund, and have taken massive risks on Moyes and Ole, yes is clearly the answer.
Olé wasn’t a risk, he was interim so could have gone back to Norway at the end of the first season. The permanent appointment was on the back of Ole pulling up trees in his first matches.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Of course they would. A manager who beat Real Madrid managing a Scottish team and broke a duoply in a league - everyone one would be after him.

Plant0x84

Ole on a permanent deal wasn’t a risk? :lol: now I’ve heard everything.
What did they have to lose? Mourinho had the club on its knees. Ole came in and lifted the club, winning games and climbing the table. The fans were all ‘we’ve got our Utd back’ and ‘give him the job’ . It was a very popular appointment.

Rhyme Animal

Ole on a permanent deal wasn’t a risk? :lol: now I’ve heard everything.
It was a risk, but a risk on a ‘nice guy’, a safe risk.

It’s clear from many club sources that they are very reluctant to deal with ‘demanding’ or ‘abrasive’ managers… this is while trying to rediscover ‘the United way’…

But the United way was built by having a demanding, scary, abrasive manager.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Can I say how bored I am with the cult of SAF? Nice guy. Historically, like Sir Matt Busby, an excellent manager. Matt, today, is your metaphorical ashtray on a motorcycle. As is SAF. He sold the club down the tubes with his horse racing adventures. He bought Bebe. It’s all relative. The toxic sentimentality of Ole has a dad, called SAF. Who I love, and fervently respect. And thank for his historic contributions. But, today…

Rhyme Animal

Of course they would. A manager who beat Real Madrid managing a Scottish team and broke a duoply in a league - everyone one would be after him.
Current Glazers would be terrified of Fergie… everyone was, they certainly would be.

They don’t want another abrasive manager, Fergie was fecking sandpaper.

Rhyme Animal

the hired two of the most demanding feckers ever to be in football management:lol:
Yes, and the experience has apparently scarred them… that’s why they’ve been very happy dealing with a meek, mild lacklustre coach… and also why every source close to the club is saying that they are very reluctant to hire another ‘abrasive’ manager… it’s called context mate.

ti vu

Glazers know feck all about "soccer". They wouldn't oppose, nor proactively go for any candidate themselves. They just delegate to their men, and listen to their advices. So no they're afraid of nothing regarding hirings.

Whether young SAF would become successful in this set up should be the question. I still believe in his genius so a yes for that question. However I don't think he would have the same longevity, given Glazers' men would put extra stress on young SAF with all their baffling decisions which undermining him. For example: extending/recruiting contract of players that is not in his plan for no good reasons. Or false promise. Or bad negotiating. He would burn himself out first before he maturing to his later self that can handle this kind of backseat driving.

Imagine having another Beck situation where now the manager has less power than Glazers' men. No way the money men would accept to sell Becks. They would treat him like royal and feck over the "head coach".

Yes, and the experience has apparently scarred them… that’s why they’ve been very happy dealing with a meek, mild lacklustre coach… and also why every source close to the club is saying that they are very reluctant to hire another ‘abrasive’ manager… it’s called context mate.
One newspaper report. feck me you lap it up.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What was our team like , when SAF was hired? You will get the answer.

Given the array of super stars now, we just can't afford to give the dressing room to a rookie. I can understand that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
All I know is the caf wouldn’t rate him either. “It’s the Scottish league ffs. We need to be aiming higher.”

In all seriousness though, he won a European title with Aberdeen and was the last manager to win the league with a club not called Celtic or rangers. You’d think that kind of talent wouldn’t go unnoticed so I think we’d be in for him.

FatTails

Forget the Glazers, our own fans would write him off before he is going to set foot inside OT.

The "he hasn't coached in a major league" "can he handle the big egos" "there is more pressure at United than Aberdeen, will he be able to handle it" "Can he imprint his style of play, this isn't Aberdeen", etc etc

You mean the thread where 91.7% currently say they’d take Ten Hag?

Don’t be fooled by a loud minority. United of all the big clubs have the easiest fanbase to please, the one with the least expectations, and by far the most patient.

Waynne

I thought everyone here wanted Ten Hag?

What qualities do you feel they’ve seen in Ole other than being incredibly low maintenance?

What, other than being nice, do you think he has to offer a PL club?
I'm 100% certain that the "Ole and Phelan show" originated from the mind Sir Alex and the advisory board, rather than Joel Glazer sat in Miami dreaming about who could take over Mourinho and landing on an ex player plying his trade in Molde.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ten Hag is considering the next big thing because he reached a CL semi final once. If there was a manager capable of taking Aberdeen to European glory after beating Real Madrid then he would have the world at his feet. Regarding the Glazers they gave the job to someone who got sacked by Cardiff based on some goal he scored over 20 years ago. They'll certainly give the job to SAF.

Daengophile

Hypothetical young SAF would be snapped up by Liverpool, City or Chelsea, maybe even Newcastle as of right now.

I think if the Glazers were around back in those days, they’d be persisting with Dave Sexton or Wilf McGuinness
A young AF would need to achieve all his successes again to become SAF - surely?

Revan

Assumptionman
I don’t know about scared, but I don’t think they would be looking at Scotland for a manager given our appointments in the Glazer era. Not trendy enough. They would want a big name, from a big club rather than some up and coming talent. And by they of course I mean Woodward on their behalf.
Like Moyes and Ole?

In general though, I agree. They would not go for a young Fergie. Same as how if they were owners back then, they would have hired Clough or persisted with Atkinson.

Revan

Assumptionman
I love how people deliberately refuse to understand refusing to hire conte because he is a wrong fit for the club and what has been assembled as a squad last 3 years has absolutely nothing to do with being scared of him.
At the contrary, if we want a manager who would continue playing like Ole has, but at a much higher level, Conte would be the best choice. Defensive, and counter-attacking manager who prefers to sit deep, and hit teams in the break. Precisely like Ole, but without the caveat of being shit.

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
I thought everyone here wanted Ten Hag?
Based on his Champions League exploits. If Ajax played in the Europa or Conference Leagues or were getting pumped out the CL like Fergie's Aberdeen, there would be little-to-no interest.

Based on his Champions League exploits. If Ajax played in the Europa or Conference Leagues or were getting pumped out the CL like Fergie's Aberdeen, there would be little-to-no interest.
Didn’t Fergie win the Super Cup and take Aberdeen to the European Cup quarters?

In a day when only one club qualified for the CL, the other European Cups held much more importance. Beating Bayern, Real in the UEFA, beating the reigning European Champions in the Super Cup and taking Aber-fecking-Deen to the EC quarters would obviously have made him extremely interesting for owners and fans, don’t play silly beggars here.

People wanked over Nagelsman for much less.

Last edited:

Marcus

The Glazers are hidong behind Ole. And Ole gives them an easy ride. That is why they will hesitate on Conte.

tomaldinho1

Not at all. Can you imagine the hype around a manager today if they managed someone like Hearts (i.e. good but not top Sottish club), usurped Rangers/Celtic and then beat Bayern and Real Madrid on the way to a European trophy...he'd be proclaimed as some kind of demi-god. Glazers aren't idiots, they just don't want to lose money.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Fergie's achievements pre-United aren't comparable to what ten Hag has achieved so far. It's nowhere close.

(In ten Hag's disfavour, obviously, if that wasn't clear).

kps88

Not at all. Can you imagine the hype around a manager today if they managed someone like Hearts (i.e. good but not top Sottish club), usurped Rangers/Celtic and then beat Bayern and Real Madrid on the way to a European trophy...he'd be proclaimed as some kind of demi-god. Glazers aren't idiots, they just don't want to lose money.
Yup I agree. Every top club, including us, would have been all over him. Just because he's a fearsome personality doesn't mean he was difficult to work with or made things hard for club owners.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
usurped Rangers/Celtic and then beat Bayern and Real Madrid on the way to a European trophy
A much stronger Rangers/Celtic relatively speaking - and a European trophy that was actually worth something (not comparable to the present-day Europa League * at all).

* Which ten Hag hasn't even won, of course.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The Glazers are hidong behind Ole. And Ole gives them an easy ride. That is why they will hesitate on Conte.
They hide behind their managers but they also pretty clearly meddle in the managers work. It’s a catch 22 and always has been. Sir Alex could almost do what he wanted but they held him back too. Jose was shown the door for pushing for more. Nice guy Ole was doing good work almost despite their influence and the contracts and marketing such as keeping pogba around, propping up the value of “assets” etc. I think Ronaldo was pushed on him, expectations have since totally jacked up and we can’t play our scrappy game anymore. We aren’t a good enough side to go toe to toe with every team in the league and slug it out. We are still too soft in the spine and our forward dont work hard enough. In another season or two with the right signings I think we could have been as good as anyone. Whoever we hire next is just going to go back to the counter attack and be hailed as some kind of genius until expectation builds all over again and we fall down and around and around we go

Lentwood

Why do people post and believe this rubbish?

Yes, I am sure the billionaire venture capitalists who own our club are frightened of upsetting anybody and must therefore appoint patsies to all of the SMT positions across their businesses.

Honestly. Some of the criticisms of the club and the Glazers are valid, but this idea they might be scared or care what people think is nonsense

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Nonsense. Glazers employed mourinho who is as disruptive manger as it’s possible to get, they employed Ole even though he has no experience.

I don’t think they are afraid I think of employing anyone they just havnt the foggiest what there doing

Why do people post and believe this rubbish?

Yes, I am sure the billionaire venture capitalists who own our club are frightened of upsetting anybody and must therefore appoint patsies to all of the SMT positions across their businesses.

Honestly. Some of the criticisms of the club and the Glazers are valid, but this idea they might be scared or care what people think is nonsense
Especially after having no qualms telling LVG to feck right off the day after winning the FA Cup, or changing the entire recruitment strategy of the club and taking power away from the manager during Mourinho’s reign. They gave zero fecks again then and kicked him down the road as soon as he pissed them off too much.

But yeah, they are terrified of strong characters :lol: