Would you be okay with state or state-backed ownership?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Similar name, but you’re looking at Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani.

The one buying United is the son of former prime minister HBJ (Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani), who is a massive figure in Qatari politics and has undoubtably gained substantial wealth due to his connection to the state. Also lots of it (allegedly) through some pretty dodgy stuff. Maybe he’ll drop off some suitcases of cash to help fund out transfers?
According to the stories he prefers Fortum & Mason carrier bags to suitcases !

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-is-said-to-have-been-given-3m-in-qatari-cash

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Similar name, but you’re looking at Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani.

The one buying United is the son of former prime minister HBJ (Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani), who is a massive figure in Qatari politics and has undoubtably gained substantial wealth due to his connection to the state. Also lots of it (allegedly) through some pretty dodgy stuff. Maybe he’ll drop off some suitcases of cash to help fund out transfers?
what kind of dodgy stuff is our lad allegadly been into ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That’s certainly an interesting choice of words. As dead as migrant workers building stadiums for Qatar?
Do you think the other clubs that have been bought by Qatar or Saudi have had to deal with the moral stain of their autocratic governments ?

In the case of PSG, I don't see much in the way of protests related to Qatar or its migrant policies. In the case of Newcastle, I don't see much in the way of the club being synonymous with murdering journalists and dismembering them with bone saws in consulates, or publicly decapitating people.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Thanks for providing some refreshing perspective from outside the bubble supporters of big clubs reside blissfully
Nice of you to say so, and much appreciated thanks.
I watch a lot of top flight footie (almost a different game to the lower league stuff) but with some detachment from the emotions that actual big club supporters must feel.
Coming on forums like this gives me a better insight into how the supporters of huge clubs view the world and if Whitchurch Alport get to join the European elite during my lifetime then I’ll be well prepared for life in the fast lane ;-)

Dan_F

Do you think the other clubs that have been bought by Qatar or Saudi have had to deal with the moral stain of their autocratic governments ?

In the case of PSG, I don't see much in the way of protests related to Qatar or its migrant policies. In the case of Newcastle, I don't see much in the way of the club being synonymous with murdering journalists and dismembering them with bone saws in consulates, or publicly decapitating people.
Probably not initially for City and PSG, but there certainly has been for Newcastle, not sure how you’re claiming otherwise.

I’m not sure what point you’re even making though? The UAE is making vast profits off the war in Yemen, then investing state money into Man City. Whether people want to recognise that or not is up to them, but I certainly wouldn’t want to spend my time supporting that shit if I was City fan.

McTerminator

So, what you are saying is that two wrongs actually DO make a right?
I’m saying it’s football.

If you actually care, go and protest outside Downing Street, not on Redcafe.

Stop the UK selling military hardware to the Middle East and I might give a flying feck about selling them a football club.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Probably not initially for City and PSG, but there certainly has been for Newcastle, not sure how you’re claiming otherwise.
I haven't seen any outrage over the Saudis owning Newcastle, particularly among the fan base, who instead appear delighted they have a good manager who will now be aggressively backed in the transfer market. That would logically appear where football fans would be focused, and by all accounts, they are.

I’m not sure what point you’re even making though? The UAE is making vast profits off the war in Yemen, then investing state money into Man City. Whether people want to recognise that or not is up to them, but I certainly wouldn’t want to spend my time supporting that shit if I was City fan.
Same as above. How many City fans care about the war in Yemen or any other political matters in the middle east ? I would guess very few, especially with all the trophies that have been raining down on the club over the past decade.

Spoony

The People's President
I haven't seen any outrage over the Saudis owning Newcastle, particularly among the fan base, who instead appear delighted they have a good manager who will now be aggressively backed in the transfer market. That would logically appear where football fans would be focused, and by all accounts, they are.

Same as above. How many City fans care about the war in Yemen or any other political matters in the middle east ? I would guess very few, especially with all the trophies that have been raining down on the club over the past decade.
Of course they don't care just like most of the world outside of Yemen doesn't care.

Dan_F

Oh you’re talking about fans of those clubs? Yeah I’m sure fans of those clubs that haven’t won anything don’t give a shit about where their success comes from. Although, there definitely are groups of Newcastle fans who don’t like the new ownership.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There is a Newcastle fan group campaigning against their ownership - I don't know how big they are, I assume the majority are more focused on the football
https://www.nufcfansagainstsportswashing.org.uk/

I would have a much bigger issue with the PIF buying us than a Qatari group - most people probably don't realise the vast difference between the 2 countries politically and socially.

I'd still go to Old Trafford and support the 11 players on the pitch though as I see the ownership as a completely separate thing. I can't think of any realistic ownership option who would cause me to give up my season ticket.

Last edited:

NLunited

Except you didn't when I called you out on making shit up yesterday about foreign investment being a bad thing for Manchester.
Except that is totally true. You can find articles on the property deals done with the City owners.

b82REZ

Except that is totally true. You can find articles on the property deals done with the City owners.
But that isn't what you claimed, you said their involvement was bad for Manchester. I explained to you how that wasn't the case from and renovating/gentrifying standpoint.

I've never argued that the deals leading to them acquiring the land weren't suspect, but that applies to all large land deals, all around the world, not just with UAE states.

So again, you lied initially and then tried to move the goalposts after you were called out on your disengenous claims.

georgipep

Stop the UK selling military hardware to the Middle East and I might give a flying feck about selling them a football club.
Dude, stop with the whataboutery. We are not on the UKCafe. We are on the RedCafe. We are fans of Manchester United, not United Kingdom. We care about the club.

McTerminator

Dude, stop with the whataboutery. We are not on the UKCafe. We are on the RedCafe. We are fans of Manchester United, not United Kingdom. We care about the club.
on Redcafe I care about the club, not geopolitics.

Hardly whataboutery, just sick of all this nonsense as if Qatar buying United will suddenly justify everything they do or that stopping the sale to Qatar will all of a sudden make the world treat them any differently.

Keep the two separate ffs.

NLunited

But that isn't what you claimed, you said their involvement was bad for Manchester. I explained to you how that wasn't the case from and renovating/gentrifying standpoint.

I've never argued that the deals leading to them acquiring the land weren't suspect, but that applies to all large land deals, all around the world, not just with UAE states.

So again, you lied initially and then tried to move the goalposts after you were called out on your disengenous claims.
Disagreeing with you is not lying. Corruption: in this case a sweetheart deal for the Arabs is bad for the City. The properties should be sold for market value so the money goes back into the City.

Basically the people in Manchester were sold out to the Arabs. Like the people in Russia were/are to the oligarchs.

georgipep

on Redcafe I care about the club, not geopolitics.

Hardly whataboutery, just sick of all this nonsense as if Qatar buying United will suddenly justify everything they do or that stopping the sale to Qatar will all of a sudden make the world treat them any differently.

Keep the two separate ffs.
You do that. I have my morals and principles above my football fandom.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

It is bad for Manchester.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/managem...ty-management-school-and-university-sheffield

stevoc

Nor will you , that fan base would be happy for Hitler to buy them if it meant a chance for them to win a trophy.

stevoc

Honest question, do you actually care that the UK government sells arms to other countries though?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
For those that will stop their support for United, what will you do? I have been supporting them since 1984 and just don't know how to stop supporting them while still enjoying English football. It's so freaking sad to me.
Still support the team but success and failure won't mean as much.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For those that will stop their support for United, what will you do? I have been supporting them since 1984 and just don't know how to stop supporting them while still enjoying English football. It's so freaking sad to me.
I’m going to make sure I get involved in where football is still at the heart of the community. My mate is a manager of a semi pro local side and I’m going to get involved a bit there. Similarly, the team of Chorlton and Didsbury FC align with my own views and I can go and watch them. I’m also involved in coaching local kids, I get a lot of joy from that. Finally, I play semi regularly at work and with some lads from the Christie hospital so I’ll just enjoy football from there.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There’s a prominent account that has been followed by Rio Ferdinand and other footballing personality that is apparently based in Qatar. I sincerely doubt this but nevertheless that’s the impression the account gives.

It has tweeted today about how disgusting Barcelona is after they posted a pride related tweet. The responses are mainly comprised of “people” all commenting how gay people are disgusting and arguing about which of their clubs has done less for pride.

It has 45k likes. A cursory glance at the replies and likes shows a massive amount of United fans who will have followed this account due to wanting Qatari rumours.

This is part of the reason what has happened over the last 6 months scares me so much. I’ve seen a completely different side of the footballing world.

McTerminator

This is such a stupid post.
In a thread full of silly posts, you might just have made the silliest. Well done.
You know what, you’re both right. I got carried away and I can admit it.

Honest question, do you actually care that the UK government sells arms to other countries though?
I do. I won’t pretend I protest about it, but I respect those that do and where possible I use my vote and what small influence I have to stand by my principles.

I’m as unsuccessful as any average person however and there are usually bigger issues on the ballot.

stevoc

You know what, you’re both right. I got carried away and I can admit it.

I do. I won’t pretend I protest about it, but I respect those that do and where possible I use my vote and what small influence I have to stand by my principles.

I’m as unsuccessful as any average person however and there are usually bigger issues on the ballot.
Fair enough, but in the case of arms sales people could be down there protesting every day and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. The UK have always been one of the world's biggest arms manufacturers that won't change no matter who you vote for.

Now fair play to anyone who has protested but just because you haven't protested one thing doesn't mean you can't voice your disapproval of something else.

Especially something that we are so emotionally invested in like the club we support.

McTerminator

Fair enough, but in the case of arms sales people could be down there protesting every day and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. The UK have always been one of the world's biggest arms manufacturers that won't change no matter who you vote for.

Now fair play to anyone who has protested but just because you haven't protested one thing doesn't mean you can't voice your disapproval of something else.

Especially something that we are so emotionally invested in like the club we support.
Agreed.

What I disagree with though is this idea that people who don’t see a point voicing an opposition to Qatar and/or just want the Glazers out are morally inferior.

As you say, it’s pointless anyway so I’ll just be happy to see the Glazers leave.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
There’s a prominent account that has been followed by Rio Ferdinand and other footballing personality that is apparently based in Qatar. I sincerely doubt this but nevertheless that’s the impression the account gives.

It has tweeted today about how disgusting Barcelona is after they posted a pride related tweet. The responses are mainly comprised of “people” all commenting how gay people are disgusting and arguing about which of their clubs has done less for pride.

It has 45k likes. A cursory glance at the replies and likes shows a massive amount of United fans who will have followed this account due to wanting Qatari rumours.

This is part of the reason what has happened over the last 6 months scares me so much. I’ve seen a completely different side of the footballing world.
Someone needs to tag Rio in and ask what are you doing following this POS.

Is this individual actually linked to the 92Foundation?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Someone needs to tag Rio in and ask what are you doing following this POS.

Is this individual actually linked to the 92Foundation?
No - not at all. It’s a stupid Twitter account @qatari . But I’ve seen him posted here numerous times and he’s amassed over 650k followers.

Ahriman

I seen the tweet and I thought it was out of order myself but it's just some randomer, there's doubts he's even from the middle east. And Twitter is an absolute cesspit, I woudn't take that as a measurement of anything bar stupidity.

stevoc

Agreed.

What I disagree with though is this idea that people who don’t see a point voicing an opposition to Qatar and/or just want the Glazers out are morally inferior.

As you say, it’s pointless anyway so I’ll just be happy to see the Glazers leave.
Not sure I've seen anyone say that, could be wrong though.

I'd agree people who want rid of the Glazers or don't think there's any point voicing their distaste of the prospect of United being state owned aren't 'morally inferior'.

The people actively hoping for it and getting giddy at the slightest bit of news about the Qatar takeover, on the other hand....