Would you bring Dalot back?

SAFMUTD

If we bring him back he'll inevitably become deadwood, he's nothing special at attack and is bang average/poor at defending.

We should be bringing players that can actually challenge for a starting place or are in path of becoming one. AWB needs competition, look at Shaw and how good he became since Telles arrived.

Abraxas

I think he makes sense to bring back. He's been out and had some football which was important for him.

The reality is AWB is a pretty fit player, and will play the vast majority of games. It makes sense to loan out Williams and get him some experience and have Dalot among the squad to cover a few positions. Not the best player in the world but he wouldn't need to be. It depends whether there's anybody among the youth that could play such a role and whether Dalot would actually accept a bit part role but essentially I don't think it's a bad idea.

Not sure it will happen though as I think Dalot will want football judging by his quotes and I don't think Ole especially likes him as a player.

Ace of Spades

Not sure of the answer, a lot will depend on the tranfer budget we have and which position we will prioritise.

I do think Ole wants a more experienced option to compete with AWB, hence the rumours of Trippier.

Roboc7

No I think he needs regular football, if we bring him back he’ll hardly play and then be hard to offload in a year.

Ace of Spades

Can't claim to have watched every MK Dons game but their fans rate him.

I reckon Laird should get a chance to show what he can do on pre-season tour. If he impresses he should be integrated into the first team squad. I can't see how he could be that much worse than Dalot and Williams have been for us in recent years. Got a lot of hope for Laird.
Laird has been unfortunate with injuries, but out of the three he is the biggest talent. He was a talent on par with Greenwood in the academy, one of the best. He probably would have gotten more chances last season if he did not have so many injuries. A bit conflicted if we should keep him next season or let him go on loan and play a full season, game time is vital for young players.

Personally, think we will sell Dalot, send Williams and Laird on loan and get someone like Trippier on a short contract.

Abraxas

Why would Trippier want to come here at his age when he's at a good club when he wouldn't appear to the the favourite for the position? Why would we be interested in such a player on significant money? He either plays or it's a massive waste of resources.

We kind of made this mistake with Telles, going for a safe pair of hands and then they never end up playing and you end up wondering why we went for that profile of signing.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Laird has been unfortunate with injuries, but out of the three he is the biggest talent. He was a talent on par with Greenwood in the academy, one of the best. He probably would have gotten more chances last season if he did not have so many injuries. A bit conflicted if we should keep him next season or let him go on loan and play a full season, game time is vital for young players.

Personally, think we will sell Dalot, send Williams and Laird on loan and get someone like Trippier on a short contract.
IMO, both Laird and Garner should be kept in our squad next season.

Yes, game time is a good thing, but sometimes you gotta throw them in.

Rashford got thrown in, Greenwood got thrown in. Both have benefited. Mason has actually had his game time restricted a lot, both last season and this season. Until recently Mason wasn't playing every game. However, he's benefitted massively from being part of the first team setup. There's no way Mason would be doing better had he been playing for Derby, even with Rooney teaching him how to play centre forward.

If Laird and Garner are just in the first team picture and picking up the same amount of game time as Mason I think they'll flourish.

Halftrack

Bring him back and loan laird and Williams to championship clubs next year...

Probably sell a couple of them after that season
This is probably the most sensible thing.

If AC Milan wants to make the deal permanent, and Dalot himself wants the move, he'll probably be sold.

Ace of Spades

IMO, both Laird and Garner should be kept in our squad next season.

Yes, game time is a good thing, but sometimes you gotta throw them in.

Rashford got thrown in, Greenwood got thrown in. Both have benefited. Mason has actually had his game time restricted a lot, both last season and this season. Until recently Mason wasn't playing every game. However, he's benefitted massively from being part of the first team setup. There's no way Mason would be doing better had he been playing for Derby, even with Rooney teaching him how to play centre forward.

If Laird and Garner are just in the first team picture and picking up the same amount of game time as Mason I think they'll flourish.
I agree, if they get enough time then they will improve and be genuine squad options, but we really don't want a situation like Williams/VDB/Axel where they get very little time and then are chucked in some time and then again disappear for a while. That will not be good for their development.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is this the same Dalot we had here your describing?

Jokes aside, no offence, I’ve been waiting for the first bit of remote positivity from you and you come up with this? Dalot?

Diogo Dalot? He’s fecking awful.
I been positive plenty of times

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't rate him. Maybe he's doing well in Italy with regular game time (from what's being reported on here) but we need someone who can be AWB understudy and Dalot is not the answer. I'd sell him while he's rated in Europe, and use funds elsewhere. I don't think Williams is that bad to be honest, he's never been given a chance this season.
Unless he's better than Wan Bissaka.

jesperjaap

Dont see why people are so concerned about our full back situation. We have Shaw and Telles on the left. Was Bissaka seems to never be injured. Williams has of course stagnated, but we do also have Laird to come back from a decent loan spell. In terms of a squad and back up options, I dont see a problem with that. Certainly other areas we should be more concerned about. find talk of signing the likes of Aarons or Trippier as utter madness personally with what we require at the moment.

As for Dalot, he hasnt done great in Milan, looks decent going forward but he looks poor defensively almost every time I have seen him for us and Milan. Seemed so hyped up too when we signed him.

Only reason to take him back is if people dont rate Laird at all and think WIlliams is really really poor, personally think Dalot offers no more than WIlliams, sell without doubt for me

OmarUnited4ever

Not good enough sadly, and Williams isn't good enough, AWB doesn't need resting most of the time (Shaw needs resting hence why we brought in an experience LB in Telles).

it's best we sell Dalot & loan Williams ,and bring back Laird to be AWB's understudy, Laird is young enough to be patient with his game time, and will benefit greatly from being part of first team setup and might get to play the early rounds of the domestic cup games.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Really? Can't say I watch him religiously but having read some opinions on him on the Milan forums they seem to beg to differ. Looks like he had a decent enough start to his time there but overall they seem very disappointed with him looks to be better on the left too which would make him coming back even less likely when we have cover for Shaw with Telles already.

A lot of them seem to be questioning his defensive abilities, apparently not progressing enough on that front and seen a few of them suggest he'd be much better played further up the pitch. General consensus is that they wouldn't be sad to see him leave because Conti looks to be the better player.
Do they know he's just 20 years old and has never played a full season of football wiwo with a team?. A few injuries and his progress has halted.. Imo he should return to Portugal, in his home environment, get back to knuckling down and become the player we think he can become.

He's had a bit of management upheaval too with Mourinho freezing him out and then getting sacked. I'm not sure what OGS thinks of him but clearly he isn't ready to put AWB on the bench.

Another thing good for him would be to do what City did with Foden and let him stay jn the club to become a better professional player and improve that way.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
As has been mentioned, Williams' form this season when called upon has been pretty woeful.

He could use a loan somewhere/shipping out, and I'd rather have Dalot to fall-back on (no pun intended).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me Dalot is probably one of the few players we could sell and make some money on to help us with transfers.

If thats possible then thats great. If not he can stay and fight for a spot.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's one of the few players we could actually sell. So if there is a buyer, let him go.

lysglimt

Scout
Defensively he is poor - much prefer if we sell him for £15 million and sign a decent backup for £25 million

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’d bring him back and give him till December, if he is not showing improvement we sell him.
This will allow to loan out Williams and a back up role for Laird. Genuinely believe Laird will overtake them both anyway, if we had a proper preseason he would have given AWB a run for his money in the team.

MrBest

Sell him, get an experienced right back with some hype behind him to push AWB, just as we did for Shaw with Telles. I'd also like to see Laird in the next few years challenging AWB.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
We should bring him back.
Although AWB has improved a lot offensively this season it would be good to have Dalot as an option on the bench next season, clearly a better option than BW at this point in time.

Failing that, wait for Jose’s Roma to come knocking in the summer and get some money in for him.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s better than Williams and Télles which isn’t saying much. But the afore mentioned two are just awful. Telles is absolutely atrocious. Laird is better than all of them but an absolute crock.

After a DM (Rice), better rotational fullbacks should be our priority. If Wan Bissaka or Shaw are injured we are fecked. If we can sell Dalot, Williams and Telles and bring in Aarons and Nuno Mendes, we’d be set, but it’s asking a lot.

If I had to choose from what we have on our books, I’d rather Dalot than Williams or Telles.

stevoc

No, sell him for £10-15m and put that towards a Defensive Midfielder.

We should be generating £50m from the sales of Dalot, Lingard, Pereira and a few others, even more if DeGea does leave.

We should just drive Phil Jones out to the woods.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He'll be sold because nobody wants Williams.
Williams is extremely young, writing him off like that tells us more about you than it does him.

JakeC

22 years old and started more games for AC Milan than he has Man United. Dont see how he's had "plenty of chances." If anything he's improving.
No point talking sense.

JakeC

Can't claim to have watched every MK Dons game but their fans rate him.

I reckon Laird should get a chance to show what he can do on pre-season tour. If he impresses he should be integrated into the first team squad. I can't see how he could be that much worse than Dalot and Williams have been for us in recent years. Got a lot of hope for Laird.
Laird has looked good in league 1, he's about 2 years behind in his development.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Ethan go to Forrest next season.

Blood Mage

He was utterly woeful every time I saw him play for us. I haven't paid attention to him at Milan but personally I'd rather keep a local lad like Williams as backup.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ole has apparently said he's happy to have him back, which would make this thread a bit moot.

gajender

Ole has apparently said he's happy to have him back, which would make this thread a bit moot.
Ole was happy to have Smalling and Sanchez back as well so I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not sure he's been that great at AC has he? I don't get to see much of Serie A though so I could be wrong.