Would you prefer european seasons to be held March/November?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That's the model in MLS and South America. Obviously due to the different times of the seasons. Football has always been a winter sport with odd nice month of weather at start and end of the season.

Wonder if in short term we'll see one european season held between March November. You've got a November world cup coming up very soon now so could well be tested out if Covid is as serious as it's looking to be.

Come back in August/September if possible, finish off the last two months, even play the euros after than and then restart for full 9 months in March.

That's just me thinking aloud and obviously would take longer than that to reshape contracts, transfer systems etc to align and there's also clashing with Cricket and Tennis but then they overlap with major football events anyway.

If you had the choice though would you prefer football seasons to start in August or March?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It works as it is because it gives us the summer off to get out and enjoy the warmer weather. Football can be played in the wind and the rain (seriously Jurgen, it can), the same can't be said for BBQs.

Pass and Move

That's the model in MLS and South America. Obviously due to the different times of the seasons. Football has always been a winter sport with odd nice month of weather at start and end of the season.

Wonder if in short term we'll see one european season held between March November. You've got a November world cup coming up very soon now so could well be tested out if Covid is as serious as it's looking to be.

Come back in August/September if possible, finish off the last two months, even play the euros after than and then restart for full 9 months in March.

That's just me thinking aloud and obviously would take longer than that to reshape contracts, transfer systems etc to align and there's also clashing with Cricket and Tennis but then they overlap with major football events anyway.

If you had the choice though would you prefer football seasons to start in August or March?
And what, are we supposed to spend Christmases talking to our families?

sp_107

I prefer March-November, As fans can afford watching weekend matches on tele for a week or 2 while on holiday but it gives great pleasure to match goers in the warm weather.

Same time players can afford to visit warm southern places in their break period between Dec-Jan too. so win-win situation

Fans can enjoy during X-Mas break as we dont go on holiday around that time means we can spend time at home with families or on some alternative entertainment like watching fifty shades of grey.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
stuff that, there are plenty of sports in summer to keep me occupied, absolutely nothing in the winter apart from football.

Dante

Average bang
Football is August to May because cricket is May to August (it's the same with the other 'footballs' of Rugby and Aussie rules).

There's no reason why it couldn't be changed, other than tradition.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nah its fine how it is.

Though it is nice to go to games in shorts and t-shirt in May/August to be fair, though the games themselves are generally not as good when its hot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The MLS schedule is designed with other major sports in mind, it's not due to different seasons since the US is in the northern emisphere. In South America(Brazil and Argentina), they play during winter, in Brazil they have two sets of competitions, the Serie A and regional campeonatos which means that they play the entire year.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
yes, would be much. much better!

Chipper

Adulterer.
While Brazil is on that kind of schedule not all of them in South America are. Argentina finished this past weekend, started late July. Colombia is almost year-round starting at the end of January and finishing at the start of December. Just a couple of examples. As has already been said their seasons are different anyway so Brazil is a winter league as are others that follow their pattern.

Anyway, no I wouldn't like it. I'm entrenched in the way it;s always been and don't really see the point in changing it. I'm just used to it the way it is, the Christmas bonanza of football, the summers off apart from the international tournaments etc. Not saying there'd be a big negative in changing it other than that, but there's also zero reason to change it so why bother?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The MLS schedule is designed with other major sports in mind, it's not due to different seasons since the US is in the northern emisphere. In South America(Brazil and Argentina), they play during winter, in Brazil they have two sets of competitions, the Serie A and regional campeonatos which means that they play the entire year.
The MLS schedule is most definitely designed with seasons in mind. Namely the winter season which makes it impossible to play in 25% of the cities. The same reason Norway doesn’t play in the winter, you’re not going to play months of -20 degrees weather when you have a perfectly good summer to play in.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The MLS schedule is most definitely designed with seasons in mind. Namely the winter season which makes it impossible to play in 25% of the cities. The same reason Norway doesn’t play in the winter, you’re not going to play months of -20 degrees weather when you have a perfectly good summer to play in.
That's weather not different seasons, we have the same seasons at the same time. And even then football is played under the same circumstances in Europe, there are cities with the same type of weather/temperatures than the ones you will see in North America, even the extreme ones like Montreal and Minneapolis, football is played in Ufa during winter. While the other cities aren't different from many european places where football is played outdoor during winter such as Warsaw, Kiev, Moscow among others.

The thing that the MLS want to avoid most is to be in direct competition with the NFL because it's a lost battle.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That's weather not different seasons, we have the same seasons at the same time. And even then football is played under the same circumstances in Europe, there are cities with the same type of weather/temperatures than the ones you will see in North America, even the extreme ones like Montreal and Minneapolis, football is played in Ufa during winter. While the other cities aren't different from many european places where football is played outdoor during winter such as Warsaw, Kiev, Moscow among others.

The thing that the MLS want to avoid most is to be in direct competition with the NFL because it's a lost battle.
Russia take a 3 month winter break which is longer than their off season and is completely stupid.

MLS want to avoid players freezing to death. Avoiding NFL is just a bonus.