Would you rather win the FA cup and keep Ten Hag or lose, sack Ten Hag?

Rista

feck it, let's just lose all of our games until everyone at the club is approved by the internet mob. Sack everyone, sell everything. The FA cup doesn't matter anyway. fecking people.

You are supporting Man City to beat United. This makes you a City supporter. Again, fecking people.
That's quite a reaction considering the amount of those who voted they want us to lose is... zero?
Win and keep, but can sympathise or whatever the word is with the question itself.

The FA Cup has never been particularly important for people of a certain age. We all know what happened to LVG after winning it too, so it's not big to our higher ups either.

LVG going of course means that win and sack is very much on the cards, but it very much does show how the FA cup is regarded too, making it a legitimate question of sorts. Nobody would ask this question of the Champions League or Premier League. The FA Cup or Europa League is where it begins for some.
I think that's quite understandable. People say it's a prestigious trophy but it's mostly in the name/tradition than anything else. Look at our run to the final. Wigan, Newport, Nottingham, Liverpool, Coventry. Basically one single good opponent.

Fooza

The ten hag hate on the caf is getting really silly now

Even I don't rate him and want him gone, but threads like these are getting ridiculous. He's had one season of failure after a first decent season. If people take a step back and see that objectively, wishing a fa cup final loss for sacking a manager with a history like that, is simply pathetic.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A more interesting question would be a new manager and exactly the same set of players or the same manager and a lot of squad changes in the summer.

didz

That's quite a reaction considering the amount of those who voted they want us to lose is... zero?

I think that's quite understandable. People say it's a prestigious trophy but it's mostly in the name/tradition than anything else. Look at our run to the final. Wigan, Newport, Nottingham, Liverpool, Coventry. Basically one single good opponent.
I hadn't even realised there was a poll. I got so irrationally angry at the question that I rather overdid it I'm afraid.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd rather win the FA Cup, ETHs fate won't lie with winning or losing the FA Cup.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Anyone who would prefer to us to not win the FA Cup is not a real Manchester United fan

Red00012

FA cup win for me . Him winning and losing it won’t seal his fate

KeanoMagicHat

Never wish away finals, especially beating peak City under Guardiola. The assumption is you'll get another chance soon, but what if the next manager does an even worse job and we don't get to another final for 5-6 years? It's not impossible. So always choose winning.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
A lot of posters trying to square this with wanting ETH sacked

Who? Can you share some examples of people wanting us to lose the final?

My dream scenario is that Ten Hag wins every game of the season, beats City 6-0 to win the FA cup, and manages us to glory the season after. Strangely, people would rather we lose every game and get humiliated in the cup, than see Ten Hag continue. The mind truly boggles.
Same question; could you please share some examples of this?

Will Singh

Option 3, win the FA Cup then sack him Monday morning. Van Gaal did a better job although I used to nod off while watching us play and he got sacked so ETH goes either way!

TsuWave

Why create a pointless scenario? Van Gaal did better than him in the league and won the FA cup. He still got sacked.

Win the FA Cup and sack Ten Hag over the speakers in the stadium while he's walking up to lift the trophy.
Good post

Bertie Wooster

I'd definitely prefer to win the FA Cup, obviously. I'd hate to see us lose again to City, and it would be a major trophy for us and guarantee EL football next season.

There's no obvious / stand out managerial candidate in the summer that I'm desperate for anyway. So happy to just get the trophy and EL qualification, and then see what happens with the managerial situation.

With ETH out of contract next year anyway, us likely to have more to spend then under FFP, and no obvious candidate linked to the job, then I wouldn't be surprised to see us give him that last year and see how things progress - so I'm more bothered about the onfield matters in the last month of the season (Cup final and European qualification) than the managerial one.

Last edited:

frostbite

Why create a pointless scenario? Van Gaal did better than him in the league and won the FA cup. He still got sacked.

Win the FA Cup and sack Ten Hag over the speakers in the stadium while he's walking up to lift the trophy.
This!

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Every day that goes by, every thread that gets posted and every reply that gets written I hate this place just a little bit more.

Oscar Bonavena

While I don't have any faith in Ten Hag, any fan actively wanting to lose the FA Cup final to City just to guarantee his sacking is a f**king moron!

I'd gladly take winning the FA Cup final even if it meant ETH keeping his job.

As it happens, I don't think it will be enough to save him. Barring perhaps United putting on a thrilling display of scintillating attacking football and blowing away the opposition, which we can't even do against shit teams let alone this mob.

Any win in the Cup Final is probably going to involve us fluking or shithousing it. Which I'll take of course, but it will emphasise the deficiencies in the team that ETH has not improved, or indeed has probably made worse.

NLunited

Win FA cup and …. nothing. Another year of squad/club building with or without 10Hag.

CtrlAltDeLigt

This talk about the manager is pointless with the players we have overall.

Given he’s had a decent season, got us into multiple cup finals and won one and has multiple injuries this season, he hasn’t rallied the squad well. If the ambition is PL, he is not a great leader, and that’s a necessity. I have no doubt he’s a great coach though.

It’s a mystery if it’s the system or the players, Ten Hag has played it regardless, with a view he’ll still be the guy next season and get the players accustomed to one style of play.

It might sound like a fearless attempt, but he didn’t cut his losses, or attempt a system that can factor in the inconsistency of the players.

He has a philosophy and too one tracked to be practical, and suffers from the same Bielsa syndrome. We can maybe play exciting football if we continue down this path with squad upgrades, but maybe not title winning football.

cyril C

What happened to LVG after we won the FA? I don't think FA win or not has any weighting on this.

WitchWithoutACat

I'd rather win the cup which kick starts the players and ETH into a winning streak next season.

I'll never understand wanting to lose, especially in a cup final!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
FA cup win and stop city doing the double! Even an FA cup win probably won’t save his job anyway. Anyone can win in a 1 of game. Need to look at the bigger picture… but like it’s been mentioned by someone if we get a new manager how many of these players will get another chance and a fresh start? Same story.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are playing City, of course it’s win the cup. Besides he’s staying anyway, and for a long time too. We could lose that game 9-0 and he’d still be here.

The only scenario in which this would be a consideration for me would be if we were playing a smaller team like Bournemouth/Brighton that would have had eliminated strong teams to get there, while we had fluked our way in by lucky wins / favorable draws. I would maybe not want us to fluke another win in that case.

DJ_21

Who the feck wants to lose a cup final to City?
Half of our fan base apparently. Which is very sad. Don’t think they realised what happened to LVG, he won this cup and still got sacked. They’d rather not add to our trophy collection to get rid of the manager… pathetic.

DJ_21

We are playing City, of course it’s win the cup. Besides he’s staying anyway, and for a long time too. We could lose that game 9-0 and he’d still be here.

The only scenario in which this would be a consideration for me would be if we were playing a smaller team like Bournemouth/Brighton that would have had eliminated strong teams to get there, while we had fluked our way in by lucky wins / favorable draws. I would maybe not want us to fluke another win in that case.
I highly doubt he’d still be here if we lost 9-0. I think he’s gone regardless. Only way he probably saves his job is if he shows some kind of miracle in the last few games, we play good football, win the games and win the FA cup and the players show some fight and determination which will show there still playing for him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I choose; win a cup, hire Tuchel, sell 10 players, buy top class defender, midfielder, winger and striker.

AnotherLondonManc

It's pretty ridiculous that anyone would think ETH's future will be decided by one game against City. If we manage to get a result, it will be a lucky one by the skin of our teeth, and what will that prove?

We're supposed to have a progressive, data driven executive team now. To make a decision on his future based on one game, when we have so much more data available, wouldn't be forward thinking. It would just be stupid thinking.

Zen86

LvG got the boot after a cup win, so it’s not indicative of whether he will stay or not. Regardless, wanting us to lose a cup final is bizarre.