Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor

I find it frightening how easily some people are swayed in a really definitive manner.

Since the City victory, the 'sack ole' tally has dropped by about 3%.

Do some of you really need just that smallest boost of positivity and feelgood factor (getting one over on City / Jose/both) to firmly change your minds about something? You must incredibly fairweather and undependable in everyday life.

You aren't formulating your own opinions, you're basically functioning on chemical impulses like an insect or something...…..or in other words, like The Hive Mind. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT.

If you want him in, then stick to your guns the next time we lose to relegation fodder. Likewise, if you want him out, stick to your guns the next time he beats a top 4 team 2-1 with counter-attacking football.

There's nothing wrong with being swayed or convinced otherwise by something or someone. But it's worrying to do so so quickly and definitively. I will happily change my own vote to 'keep Ole' if he shows me signs of progress - IE - Beating smaller teams regularly and with confidence.
On the other hand, you're clearly the life of the party in everyday life.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know how adults don't cringe when they use terms like "ole in brigade" or "ole out mafia", it's quite pathetic isn't it? We're all Utd fans, we all want whats best for the club. This obsession in society of trying to divide people now is so sad, has to be us vs them. Grow up.

b82REZ

I don't know how adults don't cringe when they use terms like "ole in brigade" or "ole out mafia", it's quite pathetic isn't it? We're all Utd fans, we all want whats best for the club. This obsession in society of trying to divide people now is so sad, has to be us vs them. Grow up.
Bravo

Dr. StrangeHate

Says the guy who betrayed the Messiah.

Conor

On the other hand, you're clearly the life of the party in everyday life.
I think you should consider stepping away from these threads. Everyone and their mother knows your opinion at this stage, and it's absolutely painful to see your posts on every page. There is no need for you to reiterate your negativity every single day, in every single Utd related thread. We get it.

theklr

The point is - I suppose - that if you genuinely think that he is tactically clueless, or the worst manager in the top flight (both of which has been claimed on here), you have to presuppose that the squad is actually brimming with individual quality: sit back and let them hit the opponent on the counter (with little or no coaching), and they will deliver against any opponent who leaves a bit of space to be exploited, including some of the best teams in Europe (coached by people who are frequently labeled geniuses on here).

Come up against any team that doesn't accommodate us - and we struggle immensely (in spite of having individual quality sufficient to punish top teams).

Does that make sense?

Not really, I would say. He may turn out to lack the nous, ultimately, to deal with teams of different descriptions (bus parkers, possession demons, gung-ho merchants - the whole spectrum) over the course of a season to a satisfactory degree (at the end of the day, as a United manager, "satisfactory degree" has to mean a proper challenge) - sure.

As it stands, though, he has clearly lacked at least two very important factors for most of the season: 1) a good (enough) midfield (a solid, at least, midfield combination). And 2) a distinct lack of creativity, individual players who are able to unlock defences (you absolutely need this - you can't balance that out, on the highest level, by "coaching" as such: if you don't have that player, or those players, you have to add him - or them - to your squad.)

You can put this on him as the primary decision maker (overrating his options), but the objective view would be that he simply hasn't had the required quality available on the whole, for whatever reason: naivety, Ed failing him in the market, calculated weakness (knew it wasn't great but it will be sorted by and by). But you can't say it has anything to do with an inherent tactical deficiency on his part: you don't overcome either the lack of a good enough midfield (in terms of sheer quality - Matic, Pereira) or the lack of a proper playmaker by "coaching". That would amount to either ignorance - or a downright disingenuous take on it, intentionally ignoring objective factors.
Agree with most of your post, but the bolded part here it is simply not true. Ofcourse one can say that he has a tactical deficiency when having a string of bad games against similar sides/plays. And the definition of "good enough" is debatable. There has been lots of examples of "bad quality" teams getting good results because of the manager - where they have been coached over and over again on a very specific tactic which makes them as a team better than all their parts.

As always, these type of issues are never black and white. For me it is a combination of not good enough coaching and not good enough players at these games.
And as always, one could off-set the other. E.g. if the coaching were world-class, the players he had available should be good enough to get better results. On the other side, if the players were world-class, they should be good enough to get better results without world-class coaching.

Point is, in these situations you can never claim it is purely the one or the other, it is always a combination of many different factors. Adding to the coaching and player variables you could make the point that they are a relativly "new side" - e.g. young players not 100% used to Ole's system, not having the required mentality yet, etc. etc. But claiming Ole is 100% exonorated is simply not helping the discussion.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I think you should consider stepping away from these threads. Everyone and their mother knows your opinion at this stage, and it's absolutely painful to see your posts on every page. There is no need for you to reiterate your negativity every single day, in every single Utd related thread. We get it.
Have you quoted the wrong post there? Or is it brutal self-assessment day? ;)

Alabaster Codify7

Excellent quoting there mate. I feel exactly the same way about you and your positivity.....why do you need to keep reiterating it? It swings both ways mate. This thread title is 'keep or sack' IE contains both opinions. If you don't want to hear both viewpoints,go create your own Ole In echo chamber somewhere and keep it only for those who want to contribute positively.

lysglimt

Scout
Moyes points per game 1.73.
Ole since December - 1.73
Ole Since March - 1.45
I agree that Moyes' United were probably over their peak - but it's a bit harsh to compare a team of World-class players (although ageing) - to a team of 20-22 year olds and claim that the manager is doing worse than Moyes

Conor

Have you quoted the wrong post there? Or is it brutal self-assessment day? ;)
Haha, yeah I've had a mare there!

Excellent quoting there mate. I feel exactly the same way about you and your positivity.....why do you need to keep reiterating it? It swings both ways mate. This thread title is 'keep or sack' IE contains both opinions. If you don't want to hear both viewpoints,go create your own Ole In echo chamber somewhere and keep it only for those who want to contribute positively.
I reckon you've more moaning posts in this thread alone than I do in 8 years. Everyone is entitled to post their opinion, but why you need to spam every thread with yours, when the majority of people are sick of it, is another matter.

Alabaster Codify7

Haha, yeah I've had a mare there!

I reckon you've more moaning posts in this thread alone than I do in 8 years. Everyone is entitled to post their opinion, but why you need to spam every thread with yours, when the majority of people are sick of it, is another matter.
50% of the forum agrees with my opinion mate, same as yours. Hence we are both equally entitled to post our views here. Go find your echo chamber somewhere else, you clearly need one.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The reality is that the progress under Ole falls somewhere between the Ole in and the Ole out camps.

The coaching team is quite inexperienced McKenna and Carrick don't have a huge amount of experience between them and Ole is relatively short on experience too compared to other prem managers. As a result they will make mistakes, bringing on Tuanzebe against Sheff Utd as a holding midfielder was a good example of this.

But there has definitely been progression as well. The team play has certainly improved since the result against Norwich, bar Bournemouth. The wins against Spurs and City were tactically very astute. People complain that you can't do anything against lower teams that 'park the bus' but actually you scored 3 against Sheffield and 2 against Villa. Scoring isn't the problem it's keeping the goals out at the other end, but defensively especially against City you proved you can do that. Watching AWB against Sterling was a masterclass in tackling and defending, you genuinely have the best defensive full back in the league there and given his understanding of where to position himself, it's not unrealistic to see how his attacking game will grow quickly as well.

People say Ole, Carrick and McKenna can't coach, but look at Rashford, James, AWB, Fred, McT they are all developing brilliantly something is going very right there.

Your poor run was while Martial, Pogba and Shaw were out as well as Matic. We know that Pereira isn't a central midfielder and for a few games it left you without any link between the midfield and attack. Rashford (younger than Tammy A) shouldered all the attacking responsibility and unsurprisingly wilted under the pressure. Once Martial was back Rashford's stats rocketed and he is looking a class player at the moment. Once McT came back and replaced Pereira and Lingard came back in at 10 there was a link again between the lines of midfield and attack and you look so much better for it.

December will be an interesting month and if you can get Pogba back (what is going there?) you'll improve even more. Even in his darkest days Ole has never lost the players, he cleared out the disruptive element in the summer, yes it left you thin, but it left with a better more positive team spirit. No other manager since SAF has managed to keep the players on side like that. Give the man time is my opinion, something good is building at OT to the point where when Pogba does go, and he will, it wont decimate you as it would have done in previous seasons.
Good post - thanks for taking the time.

With regards to the poll here - I think its okay for people to change their votes. Saying Keep doesn't mean they want him here for 5 years, it should just mean that right now there is enough there not to fire him - which anyone apart from the most staunch Sack voter should be able to admit that this is currently the case. By all means change back to Sack if we lose the next two, but right now the fact that over half of all voters still think he should be sacked today is ludicrous.

Conor

50% of the forum agrees with my opinion mate, same as yours. Hence we are both equally entitled to post our views here. Go find your echo chamber somewhere else, you clearly need one.
Agreeing with basis of your opinion does not equate to enjoying you whine every 10 posts in 15 different threads.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I find it frightening how easily some people are swayed in a really definitive manner.

Since the City victory, the 'sack ole' tally has dropped by about 3%.

Do some of you really need just that smallest boost of positivity and feelgood factor (getting one over on City / Jose/both) to firmly change your minds about something? You must incredibly fairweather and undependable in everyday life.

You aren't formulating your own opinions, you're basically functioning on chemical impulses like an insect or something...…..or in other words, like The Hive Mind. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT.

If you want him in, then stick to your guns the next time we lose to relegation fodder. Likewise, if you want him out, stick to your guns the next time he beats a top 4 team 2-1 with counter-attacking football.

There's nothing wrong with being swayed or convinced otherwise by something or someone. But it's worrying to do so so quickly and definitively. I will happily change my own vote to 'keep Ole' if he shows me signs of progress - IE - Beating smaller teams regularly and with confidence.
Its ironic that you accuse people of short term thinking when this is how most of the plan believers look at the group that want him out. I'm surprised that the swing has been only 3%.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I wouldn't read to much into the 50/50 split to be honest. Its been quite clearly demonstrated by (a) post match threads generally being about double the size after a draw/defeat and (b) the slowdown in the posting on the two main Ole threads over the last week, that there is a large section of this forum that will either post negative content or not post at all. Not aimed at you as you post regardless, but there is no doubt that this is true.

red4ever 79

Not surprised the poll swings after each win or loss. Fans behavior is like a yo yo. I saw someone on here yesterday trying to say Lingard was one of our most improved players because he has been decent the last 2 matches. However it doesn't matter that he was diabolical the previous 12 months. I have voted Ole out a long time ago. I wont change my stance.

However I am prepared to take a step back and see where we are at the end of the season. If we finish in the top 6 and he can get some consistency in our performances then I am prepared to back him into next season. Anything lower is unacceptable.

Ole's key challenge now is to get the players to maintain their level of performance on a regular basis. That and continue with a good recruitment policy. We still need to offload a core group of players, and we are desperate for quality in midfield.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not surprised the poll swings after each win or loss. Fans behavior is like a yo yo. I saw someone on here yesterday trying to say Lingard was one of our most improved players because he has been decent the last 2 matches. However it doesn't matter that he was diabolical the previous 12 months. I have voted Ole out a long time ago. I wont change my stance.

However I am prepared to take a step back and see where we are at the end of the season. If we finish in the top 6 and he can get some consistency in our performances then I am prepared to back him into next season. Anything lower is unacceptable.

Ole's key challenge now is to get the players to maintain their level of performance on a regular basis. That and continue with a good recruitment policy. We still need to offload a core group of players, and we are desperate for quality in midfield.
So you voted Ole out and won’t change your stance. But, you’ll give him till the end of the season and possibly next season.

makes sense

red4ever 79

So you voted Ole out and won’t change your stance. But, you’ll give him till the end of the season and possibly next season.

makes sense
I have voted out based on his performance thus far this season. At the moment I see no reason to change my opinion. However my opinion would change if he delivers on what I have stated above. What doenst make sense about that?

hmchan

The point is - I suppose - that if you genuinely think that he is tactically clueless, or the worst manager in the top flight (both of which has been claimed on here), you have to presuppose that the squad is actually brimming with individual quality: sit back and let them hit the opponent on the counter (with little or no coaching), and they will deliver against any opponent who leaves a bit of space to be exploited, including some of the best teams in Europe (coached by people who are frequently labeled geniuses on here).

Come up against any team that doesn't accommodate us - and we struggle immensely (in spite of having individual quality sufficient to punish top teams).

Does that make sense?

Not really, I would say. He may turn out to lack the nous, ultimately, to deal with teams of different descriptions (bus parkers, possession demons, gung-ho merchants - the whole spectrum) over the course of a season to a satisfactory degree (at the end of the day, as a United manager, "satisfactory degree" has to mean a proper challenge) - sure.

As it stands, though, he has clearly lacked at least two very important factors for most of the season: 1) a good (enough) midfield (a solid, at least, midfield combination). And 2) a distinct lack of creativity, individual players who are able to unlock defences (you absolutely need this - you can't balance that out, on the highest level, by "coaching" as such: if you don't have that player, or those players, you have to add him - or them - to your squad.)

You can put this on him as the primary decision maker (overrating his options), but the objective view would be that he simply hasn't had the required quality available on the whole, for whatever reason: naivety, Ed failing him in the market, calculated weakness (knew it wasn't great but it will be sorted by and by). But you can't say it has anything to do with an inherent tactical deficiency on his part: you don't overcome either the lack of a good enough midfield (in terms of sheer quality - Matic, Pereira) or the lack of a proper playmaker by "coaching". That would amount to either ignorance - or a downright disingenuous take on it, intentionally ignoring objective factors.
I won't say Ole is tactically clueless, but he is still far behind from other tactical masterclasses and big team managers to say the least. Shaw revealed Ole's philosophy during preseason, if you look deeper you would understand that it is reasonable for fans to question his tactical ability.

The first thing is the emphasis on playing out from the back and possession play. It is true that we see de Gea playing short to the centre backs, but after that we can't comfortably move the ball forward (especially without Pogba) due to a lack of team cohesion. More often than not we have to go long at last, which makes the whole idea meaningless. In the end, I'm pretty sure most of us would agree that we are more threatening on fast break than possession play.

The second emphasis is about pressing. We see Rashford, James run a lot to close down the opponents this season, but how often do we successfully win the possession back up front by high pressing? This is due to a contradiction between Ole's offensive and defensive gameplan. Offensively, Ole allows freedom and encourages players to swap positions. This provides a loophole for the opponents to break our high press as our players have not yet returned to their original position to form a defensive block. A successful high press requires the whole block to press and close down all opponents together, otherwise it's just a waste of energy. That's why the pressing looks better when we play in a more structured setup against bigger sides. Guardiola and Klopp understand this point very well, and you never see City and Liverpool switching wing in the middle of a play.

It's not the league position or point that worry me most, but the progress we have made since Ole's takeover.

The biggest mistake here is Ole was not responsible to handle both new/renew contracts negotiation but you guys make it like he was.

Ole's job was only to decide which players he want to keep or buy and then leave all financial matters to Ed & co. So if you want to moan about the players wages you should go directly to Ed (regardless of your moan is correct or not, it's another topic).

Therefore we should discuss only his decision of buy or keep is correct or not. I will go case by case:

- 3 new signings: needless to say I think? You may say Maguire has not been up to his 80 £m price tag yet but he's improving our defence for sure.

- Jones: bad decision imo. However at the time of his new contract Jones' form was quite ok if my memory serves me right so it was understandable at that moment. And even with his new contract he's on 75k a week so I think it's pretty ok to keep him for a while.

- Mata: this is a difficult one. Mata was clearly out of date however if we didn't he would leave for free. And now there'll be some who would blame that on Ole. His contract will expire by summer 2020 so it's another understandable decision imo.

- Pereira: he's on ~30-45 £k a week depending on sources. And the guy is clearly want to play for us, he's just not good enough yet. He's still young so who knows, even Fred looks decent now. 30 -45 £k a week is pretty ok to keep and see how this would turn out. If not we still can sell him, with his low salary and low transfer fee it won't be difficult to sell him. He's our academy product so no lost there even if he leave on a free.

- Rashford and Martial: needless to say. Rashford was on 25 £k a week and Martial had only two years left. We must keep those two.

- DDG: another difficult one. His form was pretty bad at that time but given how much he has done for us, his recent form and the fact we could lose him for free and would have to spend at least another 50 £m on a very sensitive and crucial position as GK I think it's actually a good decision. Remember how hard it was for SAF to find a new GK to replace Schmeichel and you'd see.

- Young: I know we all think he's shit but we had no cover for LB back then. Play Rojo or a not ready yet Williams for almost all the matches we've played is actually a pretty scary scenario. And it's only one season so it's ok imo.

Our wage bill is huge and we overpay many players, that we can't debate but blaming Ole on this is just ridiculous. He's the one who trying to fix this ffs. Offloading Sanchez was not only to reduce our wages as much as possible but to stop all other players to ask for more as well imo.

By next summer we'll reduce 240 £k a week from our wages bill as Matic's and Young's contracts will expire. Hopefully Sanchez would go as well as it's another 350 £k a week ffs. That's almost 600 £k or 20 % from our current ~3 £m a week total wages bill now.
In terms of transfer I think there are three major talking points worth mentioning.

First, it is the lack of depth in midfield, in terms of both quality and quantity. I agree that Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James are good signings, but I have always thought that our midfield has a higher priority, and it is quite a disappointment that no signing was made in that position. With Fellaini and Herrera gone, we made no attempt to cover the loss. If Ole decided to play 4-2-3-1 this season, he should have known the limitation of Lingard and Mata (with their display in previous seasons) and brought in another option. Many argue that our players are not good enough, but it should be reminded that it is one of the manager's responsibilities to build a steady and sustainable squad.

Second, it is Smalling's loan switch to Roma. Although not comfortable with the ball at his feet, Smalling has been solid in defence in recent years. He is quick and athletic, and it is proven that he is good at dealing with top physical strikers like Kane, Suarez etc. He is a much more reliable defender than Lindelof (weak in the air), Jones (poor positioning), Rojo and Bailly (injury-prone). For me, it is definitely a wrong decision to let him go and keep these four instead.

Third, it is about squad rotation and the use of young players. It was claimed that Lukaku and Sanchez were abandoned so as to provide more opportunities to young players, similar to the situation in the van Gaal era. It is true that their performance was poor last season, but they were more than capable to be a rotation player for us. Now, whenever Martial, Rashford or James is injured, we run out of reliable options and have no choice but to switch formation or put Pereira there. Youth prospects like Greenwood, Chong and Garner never really get sufficient playing time in the league, while the first team suffers from a lack of rotation players. It is just an illusion that Ole trusts young players, what he does is just promoting them to the first team.

ostentatious

I have voted out based on his performance thus far this season. At the moment I see no reason to change my opinion. However my opinion would change if he delivers on what I have stated above. What doenst make sense about that?

Didn't you just say in your last post that you were "prepared to take a step back and see where we are at the end of the season". That means you would keep him, and not sack him. But your vote is still for Sack? It's a bit confusing.

TRUERED89

I agree that Moyes' United were probably over their peak - but it's a bit harsh to compare a team of World-class players (although ageing) - to a team of 20-22 year olds and claim that the manager is doing worse than Moyes
That team had just won the league few months prior too, they didn't just fall off a cliff in terms of their ability. Moysie just rubbed everyone completely the wrong way and sacked SAF's staff for Phil Neville and co. He had De Gea, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, RVP, Rooney, Evra, Nani, Valencia, Rafael, Carrick, Zaha, Kagawa to name just a few. Shocking to say the least. Demotivated and alienated the whole club.

b82REZ

The biggest mistake here is Ole was not responsible to handle both new/renew contracts negotiation but you guys make it like he was.

Ole's job was only to decide which players he want to keep or buy and then leave all financial matters to Ed & co. So if you want to moan about the players wages you should go directly to Ed (regardless of your moan is correct or not, it's another topic).

Therefore we should discuss only his decision of buy or keep is correct or not. I will go case by case:

- 3 new signings: needless to say I think? You may say Maguire has not been up to his 80 £m price tag yet but he's improving our defence for sure.

- Jones: bad decision imo. However at the time of his new contract Jones' form was quite ok if my memory serves me right so it was understandable at that moment. And even with his new contract he's on 75k a week so I think it's pretty ok to keep him for a while.

- Mata: this is a difficult one. Mata was clearly out of date however if we didn't he would leave for free. And now there'll be some who would blame that on Ole. His contract will expire by summer 2020 so it's another understandable decision imo.

- Pereira: he's on ~30-45 £k a week depending on sources. And the guy is clearly want to play for us, he's just not good enough yet. He's still young so who knows, even Fred looks decent now. 30 -45 £k a week is pretty ok to keep and see how this would turn out. If not we still can sell him, with his low salary and low transfer fee it won't be difficult to sell him. He's our academy product so no lost there even if he leave on a free.

- Rashford and Martial: needless to say. Rashford was on 25 £k a week and Martial had only two years left. We must keep those two.

- DDG: another difficult one. His form was pretty bad at that time but given how much he has done for us, his recent form and the fact we could lose him for free and would have to spend at least another 50 £m on a very sensitive and crucial position as GK I think it's actually a good decision. Remember how hard it was for SAF to find a new GK to replace Schmeichel and you'd see.

- Young: I know we all think he's shit but we had no cover for LB back then. Play Rojo or a not ready yet Williams for almost all the matches we've played is actually a pretty scary scenario. And it's only one season so it's ok imo.

Our wage bill is huge and we overpay many players, that we can't debate but blaming Ole on this is just ridiculous. He's the one who trying to fix this ffs. Offloading Sanchez was not only to reduce our wages as much as possible but to stop all other players to ask for more as well imo.

By next summer we'll reduce 240 £k a week from our wages bill as Matic's and Young's contracts will expire. Hopefully Sanchez would go as well as it's another 350 £k a week ffs. That's almost 600 £k or 20 % from our current ~3 £m a week total wages bill now.
What a long post of rubbish. If Ole doesn't sanction the contacts of the poor players in the squad Woodward doesn't offer the contracts. It's that simple.

I notice this a lot, the absolving of blame on Solksjaer by blaming Woodward. Ed is poor but he isn't a lone wolf handing out contracts whenever he feels like it.

Solskjaer advised Woodward to extend the contacts of at least 3 players who should have been sold a long time a go. Alongside him rewarding players with pay rises before they've earnt it has lead to a lack of motivation in a lot of games. These a re ust part of the poor decisions the boss has made and it is on him and no one else.

Strelok

In terms of transfer I think there are three major talking points worth mentioning.

First, it is the lack of depth in midfield, in terms of both quality and quantity. I agree that Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James are good signings, but I have always thought that our midfield has a higher priority, and it is quite a disappointment that no signing was made in that position. With Fellaini and Herrera gone, we made no attempt to cover the loss. If Ole decided to play 4-2-3-1 this season, he should have known the limitation of Lingard and Mata (with their display in previous seasons) and brought in another option. Many argue that our players are not good enough, but it should be reminded that it is one of the manager's responsibilities to build a steady and sustainable squad.

Second, it is Smalling's loan switch to Roma. Although not comfortable with the ball at his feet, Smalling has been solid in defence in recent years. He is quick and athletic, and it is proven that he is good at dealing with top physical strikers like Kane, Suarez etc. He is a much more reliable defender than Lindelof (weak in the air), Jones (poor positioning), Rojo and Bailly (injury-prone). For me, it is definitely a wrong decision to let him go and keep these four instead.

Third, it is about squad rotation and the use of young players. It was claimed that Lukaku and Sanchez were abandoned so as to provide more opportunities to young players, similar to the situation in the van Gaal era. It is true that their performance was poor last season, but they were more than capable to be a rotation player for us. Now, whenever Martial, Rashford or James is injured, we run out of reliable options and have no choice but to switch formation or put Pereira there. Youth prospects like Greenwood, Chong and Garner never really get sufficient playing time in the league, while the first team suffers from a lack of rotation players. It is just an illusion that Ole trusts young players, what he does is just promoting them to the first team.
Agreed on first, I know it's not that easy to find and sign a good one with the right mentality but he should have signed a good DM/MC. We're so thin in the mid.

Second: Ole's plan was to attack with the ball built from the CBs so I think his decision to make it's clear that Lindelof and Maguire would be the two starting CB was understandable. Smalling just would not fit in that plan and it was him who wanted to leave for first team football despite Ole wanting to keep him.

Third: Lukaku clearly wanted out. Sanchez I think the lesser we discuss about him the better. And according to reports, creditable or not both were a really bad influence within the dressing room. For the youngsters I don't see Chong, Garner, Gomes or Greenwood physically ready for 1st team football yet. And if it's just an illusion that Ole trusts young players then he wouldn't have signed James and played him that much but rather some established players. Or keep and play Lukaku/Sanchez at the expense of the development of Rashford and Martial. Or keep playing Matic instead of young McT or Pereira.

What a long post of rubbish. If Ole doesn't sanction the contacts of the poor players in the squad Woodward doesn't offer the contracts. It's that simple.

I notice this a lot, the absolving of blame on Solksjaer by blaming Woodward. Ed is poor but he isn't a lone wolf handing out contracts whenever he feels like it.

Solskjaer advised Woodward to extend the contacts of at least 3 players who should have been sold a long time a go. Alongside him rewarding players with pay rises before they've earnt it has lead to a lack of motivation in a lot of games. These a re ust part of the poor decisions the boss has made and it is on him and no one else.
You decided to call my post rubbish without going per case by case to provide your argument and point out what's wrong in my argument. Then stick to your opinions without any fact to back it.

I think we'd better stop here, it's just a waste of time tbh.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Agreed on first, I know it's not that easy to find and sign a good one with the right mentality but he should have signed a good DM/MC. We're so thin in the mid.

Second: Ole's plan was to attack with the ball built from the CBs so I think his decision to made it's clear that Lindelof and Maguire would be the two starting CB was understandable. Smalling just would not fit in that plan and it was him who want to leave for first team football despite Ole wanting to keep him.

Third: Lukaku clearly wanted out. Sanchez I think the lesser we discuss about him the better. And according to reports, creaditable or not both were a really bad influence within the dressing room. For the youngsters I don't see Chong, Garner, Gomes or Greenwood physically ready for 1st team football yet. And if it's just an illusion that Ole trusts young players then he wouldn't have sign James and play him that much but rather some established players. Or keep and play Lukaku/Sanchez at the expense of the development of Rashford and Martial. Or keep playing Matic instead of young McT or Pereira.

You decided to call my post rubbish without going per case by case to provide your argument and point out what's wrong in my argument. Then stick to your opinions without any fact to back it.

I think we better stop here, it's just a waste of time tbh.
I don't want to waste my time going through each of your points to explain why each is wrong or twisted to absolve blame on the boss.

My post is entirely based on facts theres no way to misinterpret what the boss chose to do in regards to certain contract extensions.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ofcourse one can say that he has a tactical deficiency when having a string of bad games against similar sides/plays.
Yes - if the sample size is sufficient over time and mitigating circumstances can't be claimed (anymore, reasonably).

We haven't reached that point, though. My point is simple: you can't overcome a significant deficiency in the creative department through fielding a well drilled unit - that isn't realistic given the quality of even "lesser" PL teams. You need someone who can unlock a defence, create an imbalance, come up with something unpredictable, etc. And you need a functional midfield. We've had neither on many occasions this season - that is a mitigating circumstance in itself. Again, you can argue that Ole shouldn't have gone into the season light - but that's a different debate, it has nothing to do with his tactical in-match nous as such.

lysglimt

Scout
That team had just won the league few months prior too, they didn't just fall off a cliff in terms of their ability. Moysie just rubbed everyone completely the wrong way and sacked SAF's staff for Phil Neville and co. He had De Gea, Rio, Vidic, Giggs, RVP, Rooney, Evra, Nani, Valencia, Rafael, Carrick, Zaha, Kagawa to name just a few. Shocking to say the least. Demotivated and alienated the whole club.
Yes it was a better team - and I am not saying they fell off a Cliff as soon as Ferguson left, but the majority of that team was 30+ and I just expect that they lacked that hunger to do it again with a new manager. But in fairness - none of these players ever came close to that form at United or anywhere else.

So I am not saying Moyes did a good job, I am simply stating that every single manager in the world would have struggled in that season. I genuinely Believe that team weren't physically or mentally prepared for a new season with a new manager.

TRUERED89

Yes it was a better team - and I am not saying they fell off a Cliff as soon as Ferguson left, but the majority of that team was 30+ and I just expect that they lacked that hunger to do it again with a new manager. But in fairness - none of these players ever came close to that form at United or anywhere else.

So I am not saying Moyes did a good job, I am simply stating that every single manager in the world would have struggled in that season. I genuinely Believe that team weren't physically or mentally prepared for a new season with a new manager.
I agreed with your point about not comparing a team of experienced/world class players to the current squad of 20-22 year olds we have right now. I was just reiterating it I guess, and as you've already stated it'd be very harsh to compare Moyes and Ole as Moyes had a far better team imo.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But claiming Ole is 100% exonorated is simply not helping the discussion.
You're right about that - and if my post came across as a pure apology for Ole, I...er...apologize, because it wasn't intended as such. More of a "jury's still out" stance.

I've said before that I'm worried about not seeing anything undeniable in the way he approaches games (tactically). When we look lost, we look utterly lost - which isn't a good sign, not at all. Hitting opponents on the counter is, all things said and done, easier than implementing an effective brand of football designed to overcome opponents who don't necessarily accommodate our strengths - this is obvious, and Ole hasn't showed anything, so far, which indicates that he's on his way to implementing the above.

He still needs the basic tools, though - as any manager does. He can't coach certain players into playmakers when they lack the basic requirements.

red4ever 79

Didn't you just say in your last post that you were "prepared to take a step back and see where we are at the end of the season". That means you would keep him, and not sack him. But your vote is still for Sack? It's a bit confusing.
Taking a step back meaning I am not a knee jerk fan changing my vote after every win or loss. Any finish in the league lower than 6th with this squad would be a massive failure and he would need to go

Zlatattack

I still think if we don't have CL football next season he needs to go. If he achieves that, he deserves another season. I can at times see what he's trying to build and I love the personality, but we need to have a baseline expectation we can't sink below.

Strelok

Taking a step back meaning I am not a knee jerk fan changing my vote after every win or loss. Any finish in the league lower than 6th with this squad would be a massive failure and he would need to go
Keeping Ole until the end of the season then sack him means sack or keep him (the vote) ?

I'm confused too. I have the same view and I voted keep.

@MrSingh2002 your question was actually "Would you sack Ole now?" I think?

ostentatious

Again, for me, this classifies as a Keep because like @Strelok, I understood the question here as whether you would sack him or keep him now, not at some point in the future, based on his future performance.

SteveW

That couldn't have gone better. Risked almost nobody and won 4 nil. Great stuff.

lysglimt

Scout
on the back of 8 wins in 12 games, scoring 20 goals in 8 games - the majority in here still want to sack OGS. Remarkable!

Oh yes and we apparently won a fairly big game during the weekend as well

hmchan

In fact, the football heritage inherited by Moyes was not really as good as you imagined. Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra were so bad that they made so many mistakes, and they were major culprits responsible for that year of collapse. Zaha was immature by then and he admitted it himself. Kagawa has never been up to the standard. Among all, only van Persie and Rooney were reliable, but they were suffering from recurrent injuries that season. Moyes may be poor in man management, but I feel for him in many aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.