Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBBQ

Everton, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley, Arsenal and Norwich up in our next run of games in the PL. All things considered those games should be winnable (no team higher than 10th, managerial changes and patchy form across the board). This is the test as to whether we've turned a corner or if Ole is just a top 6 magician. 18 points from that and I would think the scales will shift back in his favour here.

Would be great to be on an unbeaten run going into the transfer window too to show prospective signings what we're capable of.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Once we figure out how to beat the bus-parkers, we'll convert more of the OleOut Brigade.
My problem with him from the start are small games and being dominated in them. It is easier to wait and counter than to win with playing attacking football.
Now we have 4 smaller games in a row. All players are fit, morale is high and he is one year in charge. No excuses now. We must dominate and win next 4 games. Then we can talk about converting me.

Still out and still i think that we need better manager but i am slightly optimistic ( especially when i now know that he will not be sacked no matter what).

ArjenIsM3

My problem with him from the start are small games and being dominated in them. It is easier to wait and counter than to win with playing attacking football.
Now we have 4 smaller games in a row. All players are fit, morale is high and he is one year in charge. No excuses now. We must dominate and win next 4 games. Then we can talk about converting me.

Still out and still i think that we need better manager but i am slightly optimistic ( especially when i now know that he will not be sacked no matter what).
:confused:

No they're not. Pogba, Dalot, Bailly, Rojo, Matic and Fosu-Mensah are injured. Pogba is one of our best players. Dalot, Bailly, Rojo and Matic would at the very least give Ole some opportunities to rotate and open up some different tactical options.

b82REZ

No they're not. Pogba, Dalot, Bailly, Rojo, Matic and Fosu-Mensah are injured. Pogba is one of our best players. Dalot, Bailly, Rojo and Matic would at the very least give Ole some opportunities to rotate and open up some different tactical options.
Come on now. Pogba will walk back into the team but to suggest Ole's problems have been compounded because he could rotate Rojo or Matic into the squad is ridiculous.

Tel074

what if we kept and backed moyes? You cant blindly back any unproven manager (not talking about ole)

So what are you talking about then ? Moyes had a group of players a million miles ahead of what we have now and made them all completely worse .
We are a few players from not being so unpredictable with results and performances .

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The city and Spurs win has done nothing to change my mind. Still sack him and go for a better option.

I would gladly take all the points dropped against Southampton,Wolves,Palace,Bournemouth,Villa,Newcastle, Sheff , Westham and then lose to the so called Big 6. We would still be better off by 6 points.

These things doesn't matter if we dont win against the 14 other minnows / mid table sides.
We have Everton, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley in next 4. I am 100% certain that we will drop points in these fixtures.

Judas

Open to offers

Pogba is literally the only one in that lists that matters.

Listing Fosu-Mensah :lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The city and Spurs win has done nothing to change my mind. Still sack him and go for a better option.

I would gladly take all the points dropped against Southampton,Wolves,Palace,Bournemouth,Villa,Newcastle, Sheff , Westham and then lose to the so called Big 6. We would still be better off by 6 points.

These things doesn't matter if we dont win against the 14 other minnows / mid table sides.
We have Everton, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley in next 4. I am 100% certain that we will drop points in these fixtures.
Of course we'll drop points in the next 4 games. 6 game winning runs are rare. Especially for a squad as light as ours.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
As excellent as our last two performances have been, this hasn't proven anything to me.

Ole has always got us to perform in the big games, he needs to implement this on the other 32 games a season. If I start to see this kind of performance against the rest of the league I will feel comfortbale with him seeing out the season.

My main worry still is we are becoming Liverpool 2.0. Liverpool would regularly stand to to toe with the big boys but would look inept against the rest of the league. If Ole can irradicate this I will concede I was wrong and he should remain out manager.

I have always thought the board would stick with him until top 4 (now maybe top 6) is mathematically impossible and still believe that will be the case.

I hope Ole proves me wrong but still don't think he's the man to lead us into a new era of dominance.
I agree we need to start performing against the smaller teams, but I don't see that happening with the players we have. Both LVG and Jose had similar problems when faced with teams that park the bus, don't forget, and the players they had available are largely the same as Ole has - save for a few alterations.

The problem is the lack of creativity within our midfield. That problem increases ten-fold while Pogba remains injured or not deployed at number 10 with the freedom to roam.

ArjenIsM3

Pogba is literally the only one in that lists that matters.

Listing Fosu-Mensah :lol:
I listed him as an injured player. Stated fact, nothing more nothing less. I only listed Pogba as a first eleven player and the rest as squad players. I didn't even mention TFM as a squad player. Please do read.

Also, Dalot and Matic would have been useful options the past few weeks. I'd rather see Matic start than Pereira and rather see Dalot start than Young.

Lt. Deckard

Absolutely right. It's easier to wait and counter than to create the game.
But I am afraid dominating the game will not work due to our non-creative midfield. Even Pogba would not improve this lack of quality because he's no creative midfield player too. The next games against the smaller teams will show the real improvement of our team.

reddevil702

I still think Ole will be sacked and Poch will be the manager next season. It's been a great week but seeing the team play like we have against Spurs and City really goes to show how bad of a job Ole has done. The narrative that this squad is weaker than most of the teams we've lost to or dropped points against should be thrown out the window. We've all gotten a glimpse of what this squad can achieve with a manager that can set them up for more than just counter attacking. December will give Ole a chance to prove himself and show everyone that this was more than just the players rising to the challenge of having to play Jose and the derby in a weeks time. No excuses now, confidence is high and the team is in form with a 4 matches the we should take 12 points from.

DSG

I will change my vote if he improves his tactics and style versus lesser teams. Now we have 4 very winnable games that if we win them all, I believe we will be 4th (Everton H, Watford A, Newcastle H, Burnley A). If we win 3 of these game then he deserves to stay till end of season but has to buy reinforcements in January especially in midfield.

Changed my mind again. Keep now.

Plus side:
1. All of Ole's signings are good so far. Compare that to hundreds of millions wasted by LVG and especially Mourinho.
2. He's turned Fred around. Lingard is once again at least a shaddow of Messi Lingard. Rashy is burning up the pitch.
3. Continues to beat, or at least draw against the top 6 sides.
4. The squad is still not deep enough. He needs more transfers. Needs at least 4 more players. We can't pass final judgement yet.

If after another 4 players arrive, we still can't challenge for, at least #2, then get a new manager but make sure the deal is in place and the transition orderly (during the summer), and the new manager doesn't want to change the entire squad again; like LVG and Mourinho did. Any new manager must do well with players already here.

Ole should think about bringing in a new coach who specializes in beating teams setup defensively.
I believe that the Ole Out faction have a lesser understanding of tactical football. Recently, as we have won vs Spurs and City, their cry of “He’s tactically inept” has changed to “He’s tactically inept against well organized sides” or “He’s only a counterattacking manager.

Sometimes, it’s not the tactics don’t work, it’s that we don’t have the players to execute those tactics. In breaking down park the bus sides, you need a quality No. 10 (Silva, Bernardo, KDB, Maddison, Mount, Alli) and or fullbacks that can join the attack, either pinching in to maintain possession (Walker, Zinchenko) or working as wingers (Arnold, Robertson, James, Alonso, Rose, Aurier). Course, there is the other tactic of looping in crosses all afternoon, which can work if you have a world class aerial striker (Zlatan).

Our options for 10 are Lingard and Mata, neither of which can play 10 at any convincing level. For fullbacks, AWB May be the best 1v1 defender in the league, but he is miles away from becoming a competent attacking fullback. Shaw has shown flashes, but he’s been injured. Young is past it, doesn’t have the skill set anyhow, and Dalot is suspect defensively.

The fact of the matter is that any manager would have difficulty breaking down sides with this squad. We will need to improve in the above 2 areas, or at least one of them, before we can become a top 4 side.

We are incredibly fast, and can be technical on the break, but we just don’t have the proper players to break down defensive sides. The Ole Out crew needs to understand this and give him time.

Masskh

I have a question, do you guys really think if theboard would sack Ole tonight more than 50 percent of United fans get satisfied and happy?

fps

I believe that the Ole Out faction have a lesser understanding of tactical football. Recently, as we have won vs Spurs and City, their cry of “He’s tactically inept” has changed to “He’s tactically inept against well organized sides” or “He’s only a counterattacking manager.

Sometimes, it’s not the tactics don’t work, it’s that we don’t have the players to execute those tactics. In breaking down park the bus sides, you need a quality No. 10 (Silva, Bernardo, KDB, Maddison, Mount, Alli) and or fullbacks that can join the attack, either pinching in to maintain possession (Walker, Zinchenko) or working as wingers (Arnold, Robertson, James, Alonso, Rose, Aurier). Course, there is the other tactic of looping in crosses all afternoon, which can work if you have a world class aerial striker (Zlatan).

Our options for 10 are Lingard and Mata, neither of which can play 10 at any convincing level. For fullbacks, AWB May be the best 1v1 defender in the league, but he is miles away from becoming a competent attacking fullback. Shaw has shown flashes, but he’s been injured. Young is past it, doesn’t have the skill set anyhow, and Dalot is suspect defensively.

The fact of the matter is that any manager would have difficulty breaking down sides with this squad. We will need to improve in the above 2 areas, or at least one of them, before we can become a top 4 side.

We are incredibly fast, and can be technical on the break, but we just don’t have the proper players to break down defensive sides. The Ole Out crew needs to understand this and give him time.
I honestly hadn’t thought about it being a player issue rather than a tactical one when it came to breaking down defensive teams but that’s a solid argument. There aren’t different waves or layers of threat in the personnel in this team, it’s very clear where the goals or assists will come from and there isn’t that ten and aren’t those full backs.

Certainly I’d like Ole to stay long enough to sign more of his kind of players, because I’m excited by where we might go if he does so, and how he might correct the weaknesses in the team.

Gasolin

I honestly hadn’t thought about it being a player issue rather than a tactical one when it came to breaking down defensive teams but that’s a solid argument. There aren’t different waves or layers of threat in the personnel in this team, it’s very clear where the goals or assists will come from and there isn’t that ten and aren’t those full backs.

Certainly I’d like Ole to stay long enough to sign more of his kind of players, because I’m excited by where we might go if he does so, and how he might correct the weaknesses in the team.
As a matter of fact, I think Shaw is coachable because LVG used him to push him forward. I think Williams plays a bit in a similar fashion but he's young so subject to defensive mistakes.
AWB, I don't know yet, but it seems that he at least figured out how to get out of the defensive phase to the transition quickly. Now the next phase will be to bring him forward to offer something else than James crossing or getting inside. But we can always look for someone too.

I think the Lingard position, a free role both offensive and defensively, would be a more interesting update for us, one that could change the game dramatically against all sides. It's hand made for Pogba.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Wouldn't it be more accurate to redo this poll from scratch from time to time?

I expect this would also expose how fickle we are!

Gasolin

Wouldn't it be more accurate to redo this poll from scratch from time to time?

I expect this would also expose his fickle we are!
I think a more interesting stat would be: how many times someone has changed his vote, and at what timeline :lol: .

Steve Bruce

As far as the poll is concerned, for me, the next 4 league matches will tell the tale if we have turned a corner and Ole has United playing well.

It's alright beating/Not getting beat by the top 6 but dropping stupid points to the likes of Newcastle & Villa is what has got us & Ole in a bad situation.

If we can get 10+ points in the next 4 games I will personally change my vote as that would be a very solid run of good form by us.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So what are you talking about then ? Moyes had a group of players a million miles ahead of what we have now and made them all completely worse .
We are a few players from not being so unpredictable with results and performances .
That statement is just so false. It's true SAF won the title with them the season before but that was only because Carrick and RVP played the season of their lives and the genius of our then manager. That team was on it's last legs. Put Ole in charge of them and he wouldn't of done any better than Moyes.

SAFMUTD

Changed my mind again. Keep now.

Plus side:
1. All of Ole's signings are good so far. Compare that to hundreds of millions wasted by LVG and especially Mourinho.
2. He's turned Fred around. Lingard is once again at least a shaddow of Messi Lingard. Rashy is burning up the pitch.
3. Continues to beat, or at least draw against the top 6 sides.
4. The squad is still not deep enough. He needs more transfers. Needs at least 4 more players. We can't pass final judgement yet.

If after another 4 players arrive, we still can't challenge for, at least #2, then get a new manager but make sure the deal is in place and the transition orderly (during the summer), and the new manager doesn't want to change the entire squad again; like LVG and Mourinho did. Any new manager must do well with players already here.

Ole should think about bringing in a new coach who specializes in beating teams setup defensively.
:confused::confused::confused: talking about overeacting here...

Tel074

That statement is just so false. It's true SAF won the title with them the season before but that was only because Carrick and RVP played the season of their lives and the genius of our then manager. That team was on it's last legs. Put Ole in charge of them and he wouldn't of done any better than Moyes.

You say that what I said is false then state that Ole would do no better with Moyes squad of players . One question how the hell do you know ? Quick answer you don't because you are guessing ..

Evra Evans Valencia Rafael Carrick Rooney RVP Mata Smalling Young Hernandez Nani Welbeck Fletcher Zaha all players not on their last legs .
Yes we had players like Vidic and Ferdinand on their last legs but as a squad it was still pretty strong and just needed added to

90 + 5min

I still think Ole will be sacked and Poch will be the manager next season. It's been a great week but seeing the team play like we have against Spurs and City really goes to show how bad of a job Ole has done. The narrative that this squad is weaker than most of the teams we've lost to or dropped points against should be thrown out the window. We've all gotten a glimpse of what this squad can achieve with a manager that can set them up for more than just counter attacking. December will give Ole a chance to prove himself and show everyone that this was more than just the players rising to the challenge of having to play Jose and the derby in a weeks time. No excuses now, confidence is high and the team is in form with a 4 matches the we should take 12 points from.
So, without any consideration that we have thin squad, hit by injuries and coming from all sort of internal problems you are saying Ole's done bad job? Give me a break. Poch with a arguable better squad got fired playing dreadful football last couple of months would be a better fit for United? A serial loser as someone called another manager. Almost-trophy-manager.

We will still lose points and results will go up and down until we have made the ship steady. That takes time.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
You say that what I said is false then state that Ole would do no better with Moyes squad of players . One question how the hell do you know ? Quick answer you don't because you are guessing ..

Evra Evans Valencia Rafael Carrick Rooney RVP Mata Smalling Young Hernandez Nani Welbeck Fletcher Zaha all players not on their last legs .
Yes we had players like Vidic and Ferdinand on their last legs but as a squad it was still pretty strong and just needed added to
Just needed added to?? It was ripped apart a short time later because it was an aging squad with inconsistent players. If you think the players you mentioned as being pretty strong is a million times better than what Ole has now then there's no point carrying on this conversation.

What makes you think that Ole would do better than Moyes with the squad Moyes had at his disposal? Of course I'm guessing but at least mine is an educated guess. Moyes had over a decade managing in the PL whereas Oles stint wasn't quite as long before he became our manager. Do you really think Ole could of got Cleverley and Anderson playing any better than Moyes when SAF struggled to get the best out of them? Do you really think Ole would of got the respect needed to succeed from players like Rio, Vidic, RVP, Evra, Giggs Rooney etc etc?

Ole has a chance of success with todays squad because they're still pretty young so the respect is there but put him in charge of the squad Moyes had and he would of been eaten alive and you don't have to be nostradamus to understand this.

reddevil702

So, without any consideration that we have thin squad, hit by injuries and coming from all sort of internal problems you are saying Ole's done bad job? Give me a break. Poch with a arguable better squad got fired playing dreadful football last couple of months would be a better fit for United? A serial loser as someone called another manager. Almost-trophy-manager.

We will still lose points and results will go up and down until we have made the ship steady. That takes time.
With everything you've just said taken into consideration, Ole has done a bad job! You can make up whatever excuse you'd like but there's no way you can say otherwise. Every manager prior to Ole has faced injuries and had the same "internal problems" - whatever that means - as Ole. Yet none of this was ever brought up as often to defend them and they all did better than Ole has. The PL this year is arguably the weakest it has been since Leicester won it and we've struggled to even stay in contention for top 4. Let's not conveniently forget the Villa result leading up to this. If you're referring to Poch as a serial loser and almost-trophy-manager, than what exactly is Ole? He's bought himself time with two great results but unless that continues to the end of month, he should still be sacked. One week does not erase months of bad performances.

90 + 5min

With everything you've just said taken into consideration, Ole has done a bad job! You can make up whatever excuse you'd like but there's no way you can say otherwise. Every manager prior to Ole has faced injuries and had the same "internal problems" - whatever that means - as Ole. Yet none of this was ever brought up as often to defend them and they all did better than Ole has. The PL this year is arguably the weakest it has been since Leicester won it and we've struggled to even stay in contention for top 4. Let's not conveniently forget the Villa result leading up to this. If you're referring to Poch as a serial loser and almost-trophy-manager, than what exactly is Ole? He's bought himself time with two great results but unless that continues to the end of month, he should still be sacked. One week does not erase months of bad performances.
I think we have different goals and expectations this year. While I want to see progress as a club (not just results) you are after titles. Or it seems that way. And with looking where we have been, where we stand and who our squad looks I think he is doing pretty good this year. 5th in table, and still there in every competition. On way up. Everything is pointing to us slowly going forward.

When Solskjaer has had his 5 years in a very good team full with stars (like Poch with Spurs) than we will see. I can even say now that with 2 signings this January I wouldn't bet against us winning a trophy in Solskjaer first full year. Right now Solskjaer has league titles. Sure it is "only" Norway but still. He took over and transformed Molde into a very good club and team.

bigeyedfish21

The PL this year is arguably the weakest it has been since Leicester won it and we've struggled to even stay in contention for top 4.

I'd argue its not weak just more competitive, there is more parity in the league imo which makes it better to watch.

Tel074

Just needed added to?? It was ripped apart a short time later because it was an aging squad with inconsistent players. If you think the players you mentioned as being pretty strong is a million times better than what Ole has now then there's no point carrying on this conversation.

What makes you think that Ole would do better than Moyes with the squad Moyes had at his disposal? Of course I'm guessing but at least mine is an educated guess. Moyes had over a decade managing in the PL whereas Oles stint wasn't quite as long before he became our manager. Do you really think Ole could of got Cleverley and Anderson playing any better than Moyes when SAF struggled to get the best out of them? Do you really think Ole would of got the respect needed to succeed from players like Rio, Vidic, RVP, Evra, Giggs Rooney etc etc?

Ole has a chance of success with todays squad because they're still pretty young so the respect is there but put him in charge of the squad Moyes had and he would of been eaten alive and you don't have to be nostradamus to understand this.

Ole is respected by everyone at United and you guessing isn't a educated guess not unless you have actually managed premier League players or that certain group of United players ! So yes it's a guess and a pretty silly one . I'm guessing he would have done well with that group but I'm not trying to put it across as fact or even a educated guess ...

On the squads I agree if you really believe the squad back then wasn't way way better than now then there's no point us having anymore conversation.. Even the great Ferguson would be no hope with this bunch ...
I will agree to disagree my friend

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Yeah, we don't have the players to break Palace, Newcastle, Astana, league 2 side, Sheff, Villa,West ham - give it a rest mate.

I have seen nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of our game play after 12 months of Ole coaching. Sure, we are great at counter attacking but that's about it.

Aresma7

That’s ridiculous. Much rather beat the top teams, because that’s the games where I gather with friends that cheers for rival teams. Football for me is also about socializing.

Beating small teams will come in time, we are on the right path. And we should have beaten wolves,palace,Newcastle and villa. Those were close games that we deserved to win. People just think bringing in a top manager will fix all our problems. Can’t you see that’s what Ole is doing!? Appreciate the damn process!

SteveW

Yeah, we don't have the players to break Palace, Newcastle, Astana, league 2 side, Sheff, Villa,West ham - give it a rest mate.

I have seen nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of our game play after 12 months of Ole coaching. Sure, we are great at counter attacking but that's about it.
We scored 5 goals over the Sheffield United and Villa games and played the youth team against Astana. There's been a clear improvement in our attacking against the weaker teams since the end of October.
3x Norwich
3x Brighton
3x SU
2x Villla

DSG

Ugh. I literally gave three reasons why it’s difficult for us to break down those opponents, and your response is to just repeat the Ole Out talking points.

It’s not like we had two CL winning managers who had the same issues of dropping points / breaking down these types of sides. Oh, wait we did. One of those managers will go down as one of the greatest managers of all time. Were they tactically inept as well?

It’s easier to spout out “Not good enough” than to actually analyze the squad and our shortcomings in talent. Please, continue your mumblings while the rest of us discuss the how and why.

DSG

As a matter of fact, I think Shaw is coachable because LVG used him to push him forward. I think Williams plays a bit in a similar fashion but he's young so subject to defensive mistakes.
AWB, I don't know yet, but it seems that he at least figured out how to get out of the defensive phase to the transition quickly. Now the next phase will be to bring him forward to offer something else than James crossing or getting inside. But we can always look for someone too.

I think the Lingard position, a free role both offensive and defensively, would be a more interesting update for us, one that could change the game dramatically against all sides. It's hand made for Pogba.
Shaw was our one of our best performers last season, and looked electrifying going forward as a winger. He’s not a Phillip Lahm / Kimmich pinch in fullback because he’s not as techical or a great ball distributor. But his crossing has improved. Williams has great potential IMHO.

Lingard is just a winger shoehorned into a 10 role. Pogba might thrive in the 10 if he can bring more energy and work rate than he does as a deep lying playmaker.

DSG

I'd argue its not weak just more competitive, there is more parity in the league imo which makes it better to watch.
There’s no need to fire back at him, he clearly is happier when we are losing and he can blame one single person (Ole), rather than see the situation for what it really is; a confluence of events where the board, Woodward, the squad and Ole are all each partially to blame.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
One of the few sensible, logical posts in here.

Completely agree.

ThinkTank@Cafe

One of the few sensible, logical posts in here.

Completely agree.
I’m angry and confused. I took classes in Formal Logic and Critical Thinking, spent sleepless nights to write a post on the Caf. And people ignore my brilliant posts and calling crap posts logical l and sensible?!

Jokes aside, reddevil702, do you realize that it was Ole who took all the stick and risks to assemble this young squad with fantastic potential? His team coached them, taught to play together, setting up tactics for them in every match? And now, you want to kick out Ole for another man who will reap benefit? Where is fecking logic here?

SteveW

I've been waiting for someone to use the last two games as proof of how bad Ole is. Only took a couple of days. Peak 2019 cafe.

meamth

I have a question, do you guys really think if theboard would sack Ole tonight more than 50 percent of United fans get satisfied and happy?
One thing is for sure though, Old Trafford will be on riot. Like a real riot, Woodward will be dragged down the streets of Busby way.

Caf is a minority. Those percentage doesn't mean anything.

sp_107

We scored 5 goals over the Sheffield United and Villa games and played the youth team against Astana. There's been a clear improvement in our attacking against the weaker teams since the end of October.
3x Norwich
3x Brighton
3x SU
2x Villla
It is the defence Ole needs to fix it, losing McTominay and Pogba same time didn't help.

Poch win percentage against Top 6 is 28% compared to Ole's 24 out of 33 possible points. Once we get 1 or 2 creative players we can look at breaking down lower teams and find a way to get more points.

So I would give him until end of this season with a couple of Jan signings and see if he can get consistent results

Status
Not open for further replies.