Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
How about keep Smalling who's pretty much as good as Maguire anyway?
Holy wall of text, Bobcat.

The most obvious decision, IMO, this summer was to keep Smalling. Defending ability wise Maguire and Smalling are at a similar ability. The ballplaying CBs the boss and fans want should have been the last thing we added to a functional team.

He shouldn't have extended the contracts of Lingard, Jones or Pereira, and if he didn't have a replacement lined up he shouldn't have marginalised Lukaku. I don't disagree with Mata being given a new deal as we do need some experienced heads and theoretically he covers for arguably our weakest position.
Smalling is not as good as Maguire. To be fair purely as a defender there is not that much between them, but Smallings ability on the ball is just horribly bad. Maguire is not an 80 million defender, and Leichester sure raked us over the coals with that one, but i think we bought Maguire for his leadership abilities (hence he was made captain) as well.

My point was simply that there was no way we could plug all the holes in the squad in one window, especially not when (seemingly) so little funds where made available

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Smalling is not as good as Maguire. To be fair purely as a defender there is not that much between them, but Smallings ability on the ball is just horribly bad. Maguire is not an 80 million defender, and Leichester sure raked us over the coals with that one, but i think we bought Maguire for his leadership abilities (hence he was made captain) as well.

My point was simply that there was no way we could plug all the holes in the squad in one window, especially not when (seemingly) so little funds where made available
No but he's a lot better than every other defender we had.

What exactly was the point of sending our next best defender after Maguire on loan and keeping Jones, Rojo, Lindelof etc. instead? It was a senseless decision.

Ultimately there's very little between Smalling and Maguire, he's a modest upgrade at best, so I do think purchasing him for eighty fecking million pounds and sending Smalling on loan, instead of keeping Smalling and use that money in far more important areas of the pitch, was daft.

I honestly think it's one of the worst transfers of the PL era. We bought a decent defender for a world record fee. Madness.

dirkey

What exactly was the point of sending our next best defender after Maguire on loan and keeping Jones, Rojo, Lindelof etc. instead? It was a senseless decision.

Ultimately there's very little between Smalling and Maguire, he's a modest upgrade at best, so I do think purchasing him for eighty fecking million pounds and sending Smalling on loan, instead of keeping Smalling and use that money in far more important areas of the pitch, was daft.

I honestly think it's one of the worst transfers of the PL era. We bought a decent defender for a world record fee. Madness.
He's probably slightly better than our other defenders in my opinion. Not a lot better. And, from what I recall, he wanted guarantees of playing time. They couldn't be given, so he didn't want to stick around.

Massive Spanner

He's probably slightly better than our other defenders in my opinion. Not a lot better. And, from what I recall, he wanted guarantees of playing time. They couldn't be given, so he didn't want to stick around.
You have to question the judgement of our coaching staff then because anyone who watched us play over the last few years could see that Smalling's a much better defender than Lindelof.

dirkey

You have to question the judgement of our coaching staff then because anyone who watched us play over the last few years could see that Smalling's a much better defender than Lindelof.
Do you think guarantees should be given, like that? I don't. Gotta work hard, earn your place.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Proof of this please, out of interest. I've not said anything either way about Marcus, but I want to see proof of this claim.
It was my mistake and i'm not afraid to admit it. I did a quick search and the actual debate was about whether Mourinho should have thrown certain players (who seem to go to the physio's room whenever they can) publicly under the bus or deal with it in the dressing room. I didn't remember it correctly and for this, i apologise. Anyway, i also wrote that it is unfair to chastise Solskjaer for (the worsening of) an injury that was the result of heavy contact more than anything else, so i was not just looking for something to hit the Ole-in fans with. But again, my bad.

As for your next post, i believe it's also unfair to suggest that the Ole-out fans don't see anything good in Solskjaer. First of all, the feelings of dissatisfaction and frustration towards Woodward are mutual among both sides of the spectrum. Not believing that Solskjaer is the right man for the job doesn't absolve Woodward of blame. But i'm not going to cheer and support a failing (in my eyes) manager just because i don't have faith in the CEO. I have to see something more from him.

He's also credited for Greenwood, Williams (mainly) and the emergence of some other academy prospects, for assisting Martial and Rashford to take the step forward and become the leaders we want them to be, for taking more out of Fred and McT than the previous manager did. Plus, i don't think that anybody disagrees with a general plan of moving away from players that will come here only to receive a fat paycheck or that it's going to take time to create a new spine in the first team.

The question, for some fans, is how low are we willing to set the bar just because it's a rebuilding job. In some way, i believe Solskjaer is very fortunate. The truth is that 9/23 league wins is an abysmal record and it's fortunate enough for us that the London clubs are facing their problems and they find themselves in some difficult situations. It's a miracle that we're still in the mix for CL qualification when we have achieved back-to-back league victories only twice more than halfway into the season. Similar results have forced Spurs and Arsenal to appoint new managers. Lampard has faired a bit better but i don't believe that Abramovic will not look for a new manager if Chelsea's recent (bad) form continues for the rest of the season. Out of all these managers, Solskjaer is the only who's enjoyed a "free-pass" six-month period to assess the squad, a full pre-season and a budget to work with and he's still in the job while the results are poor. So, the question among some fans is "where do we draw the line?" If he finishes the season with a win rate of 39%, as Regulus keeps pointing out, and after being a year and a half in the job, we'll just keep blaming Woodward and pretend that everything's going according to plan?

The most frequent answer we get to this question is that he loves the club and that he wants to change the culture and, therefore, he should be allowed to continue. Which basically translates into "he should not be held accountable for the head coach's job" which is the job he was appointed to do in the first place. Someone wrote the other day that he wouldn't have minded if we had lost 10-0 to City because he wants to look at the bigger picture. I can't agree with that because i believe that the best way to plan for the future is to take care of the present. Or, as they say in my part of the world, the regular use of the word "will" and constant talk about a brighter future is that talk of politicians and their kind never gets anything done.

He hasn't done everything wrong. But do the things he got right justify him staying in the job beyond this summer? I'm not so sure. I believe we need to see more from him on the pitch. We'll see... Twice this season he managed to get great performances from his team with his back against the wall (Liverpool at OT and the Spurs/City games) but he's failed to push for better things when everyone around us drops points left, right and centre. After all, he's not the only manager around who trusts youth and focuses on building new sides.

hmchan

This is an interesting thread. I see most of the Ole outters claiming that the Ole-inners say Ole can do no wrong. I don't believe this is the case. I think the inners just see some forms of progress, they see some things he's doing well, some things he's not doing well. And I don't think I've seen anyone say (maybe one or two have, but I haven't noticed, 2 huge Ole threads is hard to read everything) that he's definitely the answer. Just, that he deserves more time.

Whereas, those who want him out? No credit for anything. They'll give excuses as to why improvements in certain players have nothing to do with him "Fred is new. Rashford is young and bound to improve, like McTominay" etc. Results are terrible. There's no style. He's tactically inept - which is hilarious given that he's constantly tweaking tactics and team against different opposition. "He can only play one way" - more bollox, just watch the first half against City. That wasn't counter attacking. They went out and absolutely nailed City. Should have been out of sight by half time. There are no signs of progress etc, etc.

I saw someone break down the games Ole has had into sections of 10 a few pages ago (or maybe in the other thread). I've done that too, but only with league games. At the end of the day, we're in every cup we took part in this year, so we've progressed well in those. Since he took over as full time manager, we've had 32 games. So, ignoring the last 2 games, as they're the start of the next group of 10, he's had, 11 points, 10 points and 18 points from the 3 sets of 10 games. Small sample size, yes, but shows signs of progress. Can he keep it going? Dunno, seems unlikely, with the injuries and small squad. And Europa league starting up again, but we'll see.

The squad - it's thin. I think between he and Woodward, he has messed up here. But I see the doubters saying he focuses on 1 target in a position at a time. Is that him, or is that Woodward? I remember Jose saying he'd always give his boss a list of 3 players at each position. Remember when we fixated on Perisic, and never got him? And never went after anyone else? Despite Jose saying he'd always give a list of 3 players at each position? Through 4 managers now, since Fergie, we've seen repeated failures in the transfer market. What's the common denominator? Woodward. So I'd lay most of the blame at him to be honest. Same mistakes keep being made. But still Ole is culpable here too. So, while he's gotten rid of a lot of deadwood, leaving us without a replacement for Lukaku was a mistake. Again though, we seemed to fixate on Dybala and not look at anyone else. Ole, or Woodward? Woodward's done this in the past remember.

Other than Lukaku, losing Herrera was probably our other big mistake. This was NOT Ole's fault: "Herrera had already made up his mind to move to PSG by the time United presented him with a contract offer in March following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s appointment as permanent manager.
“I don’t like looking at the past but there were differences regarding the project and my importance within it,” Herrera said. “I was very happy, I have a lot to thank the club for, the fans and also Solskjaer. “He did a lot for me to stay but things didn’t happen. They [United] arrived late [with the contract offer] and, by then, I’d already made the decision to play in Paris.”

So, once again, good job Ed.

Now, should we have signed a few more players? Probably. Definitely - but at the same time, it's not Championship Manager. It takes time. It takes multiple windows to replace so much dross. The previous managers have wasted so much money. Ole's signings so far look shrewd, but again, sample size is small, I'll reserve judgement. There's more needed. We're very bare in midfield, and losing our only creative spark in there for the entire season has been a massive issue. The games we mostly struggle with are the tight games, having Pogba in there, as much as I personally don't like him, and want him sold, would have made a difference to our total of points I think.

Tactically, I've seen enough to see that Ole does have a good tactical brain. I think he's currently hamstrung by the limitations of his players / squad. We massively frustrated Liverpool over the course of 2 fixtures, which no-one else has done. Still the only team to take points off them. Why were others not able to follow his blueprint after the game at OT? We had a great chance to nick a draw with them at Anfield the other day, without arguably our 3 best players. Admittedly they should have been out of sight by half time mind you!

Overall, do I think Ole is the man for the job, long term? I don't know. I have serious reservations. But I don't think he's done anything to merit being sacked as of yet. He's taking the long term approach to building a team. I know people love Football Manager, and bringing in 12 players in a summer which instantly becomes an incredible team, but real life isn't like that. Ole is a big United man, he'll have seen the mercenaries come in and bleed the club, and that will have hurt him - Di Maria, Sanchez etc. He wants to bring in people who get it - young players through the ranks who know what it means to play for United, and others of the right character. Whatever else about Maguire, James & WB, they seem to have the right character.

Give him another year at least, unless things become catastrophic and he seems to have lost the dressing room. It's going to be hard in the next while, especially with Rashford out, so we'll see what he can do.
It's quite confusing when you say no one thinks Ole is definitely the answer, but he deserves more time. Why do we need to provide him with more time when he is not considered the right man in the long term? Why not sack him right away and give the new manager more time to understand the squad?

I'm one of those who want him out, and I credit him for a lot of things, e.g. promotion of Greenwood, improvement from several players, etc. The focal point of this post is, whether these positives outweigh the negatives brought from Ole? Whether these positives can sustain and lead us to larger success? Of course you have the right to choose "yes", but it doesn't mean those who pick "no" haven't considered these arguments.

For reference, Moyes got 17, 17 and 17 points in his 30 league games in 13/14. For Mourinho's last 30 league games, he got 24, 14 and 16 points. Despite Ole's "huge" improvement and effort, he just managed to get results comparable to his predecessors, who got sacked obviously. You must be a very optimistic person to see this as a sign of progress.

TRUERED89

I voted to keep Ole, but keep him only through the end of the season. It just isn't working for Ole as manager of United at this time. But in his defense he's hit a run of bad luck with Sanchez (so poor he had to be shipped out) and Pogba (injury and other issues) that were problems not of his making.

Despite the stick they get here, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James were good signings. James looks more like squad man material to me, Maguire has been consistently solid for us although not without deficiencies and AWB the same. The serious grand strategy mistake Ole made was believing that Lingard had something to offer and not going for an ACM during the summer transfer window. The entire football world except Ole saw JLingz's mask lifted in the second half of last season and we've had to do without an athletic proper 10 the entire season. Maybe Ole envisioned Pogba for that role but that too would have been a mistake.

We're better off in the long run without making another panic midseason sacking, for Poch or Allegri or whoever. Let's ride this out, poor results in the league lying in wait no doubt and get off to a fresh start with a new manager in the summer transfer window. I'm not sold on Poch as the answer but he might turn out to be the answer. I'd go with Allegri but he may be lured by Barcelona and no sane person could argue with him if he chooses Barcelona over Manchester United.

If management is committed to Ole it should pull the trigger and bring in Bruno now and if he's really all that (haven't seen him, not even on YouTube), Bellingham as well. We're insanely lacking in creativity and Bruno can help with that right now. There is only one goal in front of us this season and it's qualification for the CL. We have a shot in the league (Chelsea are there for the taking) but our better shot is through the EL trophy. We cannot get to the fourth place or lift the EL trophy without a proper 10. And now with Rashford gone for presumably the rest of the season and Pogba's status uncertain we need another player capable of scoring goals now, not next season.

All of this is to say that Ole is on the plank and he has a chance to deserve another season, but actions must be taken now to improve our position going into next season.
So would you let Ole stay if he wins EL or gets top 4?

Bojan11

If we don’t sign anyone this window then he’s as good as gone.

Why else are we not signing anyone? We haggling over Bruno, but he’s not the only player we need.

Robbie Boy

He's a petty shit manager by all accounts but he got rid of deadwood so let's keep him. Top logic. The lack of standards these days is astonishing.

slir32

Var was introduced and Smalling pulls a lot of shirts while defending. I wonder if that was a factor him not being first choice.

Bojan11

Var was introduced and Smalling pulls a lot of shirts while defending. I wonder if that was a factor him not being first choice.
VAR exists in Italy and he’s doing just fine.

It was down to his limited passing. But to be honest the so called iceman gives the ball away a lot. Just look at him before the Firminho disallowed goal. There would be no debate over that goal if he did his job in the first place.

Smores

Do you think guarantees should be given, like that? I don't. Gotta work hard, earn your place.
Why would guarantees need to be given? You can obviously keep a player without guaranteeing they start every game, it happens at top clubs all the time. You could argue It might not be fair to them but the manager is supposed to put club interests first. I really don't think Smalling is the type to cause trouble if we'd have asked him to stay and fight for his place.

tomaldinho1

VAR exists in Italy and he’s doing just fine.

It was down to his limited passing. But to be honest the so called iceman gives the ball away a lot. Just look at him before the Firminho disallowed goal. There would be no debate over that goal if he did his job in the first place.
This is what annoys me about sending Smalling on loan, we heard all chatter about ball playing CBs and then Ole goes and sets up in the most basic/limited fashion possible. Lindelof/Maguire aren't even that good on the ball, Maguire especially seems to have regressed from seeing him for Leicester/England when it comes to his passing. In this setup we keep conceding from set pieces and long balls which is where Smalling excels.

dirkey

It's quite confusing when you say no one thinks Ole is definitely the answer, but he deserves more time. Why do we need to provide him with more time when he is not considered the right man in the long term? Why not sack him right away and give the new manager more time to understand the squad?

I'm one of those who want him out, and I credit him for a lot of things, e.g. promotion of Greenwood, improvement from several players, etc. The focal point of this post is, whether these positives outweigh the negatives brought from Ole? Whether these positives can sustain and lead us to larger success? Of course you have the right to choose "yes", but it doesn't mean those who pick "no" haven't considered these arguments.

For reference, Moyes got 17, 17 and 17 points in his 30 league games in 13/14. For Mourinho's last 30 league games, he got 24, 14 and 16 points. Despite Ole's "huge" improvement and effort, he just managed to get results comparable to his predecessors, who got sacked obviously. You must be a very optimistic person to see this as a sign of progress.
I don't think it's confusing. What I'm saying is, no-one knows he's definitely the answer. But we think he deserves more time to show us, either way. We don't think there's been enough negatives that he needs to go, right now. We think he could be the answer, so he should be given the time to show.

Some of you think he's already shown enough to say he's not the answer, that's your prerogative.

It's good that you give him credit for improving players. I've seen a few posters discredit that, by saying things like "Fred was always going to improve, coming from another country, takes time to settle. Rashford is a young player who has improved every year and just continued to improve. McTominay is also a young player who has just improved with more game time".

Regarding the points totals each manager got - you're comparing apples to oranges. Different seasons. You're also, in the case of Moyes, comparing a man who came in to a title winning squad, that's what he did in his 30 games with that. Jose, into his 3rd season, and he's a manager who builds teams to "win now" and was massively backed in the transfer market.

My point, regarding the points total is that some posters say there are zero signs of progress. It's a small sample size, but getting more points in the last 10 games is proof of progress. Whether it is ultimately sustained ... remains to be seen.

dirkey

It was my mistake and i'm not afraid to admit it. I did a quick search and the actual debate was about whether Mourinho should have thrown certain players (who seem to go to the physio's room whenever they can) publicly under the bus or deal with it in the dressing room. I didn't remember it correctly and for this, i apologise. Anyway, i also wrote that it is unfair to chastise Solskjaer for (the worsening of) an injury that was the result of heavy contact more than anything else, so i was not just looking for something to hit the Ole-in fans with. But again, my bad.

As for your next post, i believe it's also unfair to suggest that the Ole-out fans don't see anything good in Solskjaer. First of all, the feelings of dissatisfaction and frustration towards Woodward are mutual among both sides of the spectrum. Not believing that Solskjaer is the right man for the job doesn't absolve Woodward of blame. But i'm not going to cheer and support a failing (in my eyes) manager just because i don't have faith in the CEO. I have to see something more from him.

He's also credited for Greenwood, Williams (mainly) and the emergence of some other academy prospects, for assisting Martial and Rashford to take the step forward and become the leaders we want them to be, for taking more out of Fred and McT than the previous manager did. Plus, i don't think that anybody disagrees with a general plan of moving away from players that will come here only to receive a fat paycheck or that it's going to take time to create a new spine in the first team.

The question, for some fans, is how low are we willing to set the bar just because it's a rebuilding job. In some way, i believe Solskjaer is very fortunate. The truth is that 9/23 league wins is an abysmal record and it's fortunate enough for us that the London clubs are facing their problems and they find themselves in some difficult situations. It's a miracle that we're still in the mix for CL qualification when we have achieved back-to-back league victories only twice more than halfway into the season. Similar results have forced Spurs and Arsenal to appoint new managers. Lampard has faired a bit better but i don't believe that Abramovic will not look for a new manager if Chelsea's recent (bad) form continues for the rest of the season. Out of all these managers, Solskjaer is the only who's enjoyed a "free-pass" six-month period to assess the squad, a full pre-season and a budget to work with and he's still in the job while the results are poor. So, the question among some fans is "where do we draw the line?" If he finishes the season with a win rate of 39%, as Regulus keeps pointing out, and after being a year and a half in the job, we'll just keep blaming Woodward and pretend that everything's going according to plan?

The most frequent answer we get to this question is that he loves the club and that he wants to change the culture and, therefore, he should be allowed to continue. Which basically translates into "he should not be held accountable for the head coach's job" which is the job he was appointed to do in the first place. Someone wrote the other day that he wouldn't have minded if we had lost 10-0 to City because he wants to look at the bigger picture. I can't agree with that because i believe that the best way to plan for the future is to take care of the present. Or, as they say in my part of the world, the regular use of the word "will" and constant talk about a brighter future is that talk of politicians and their kind never gets anything done.

He hasn't done everything wrong. But do the things he got right justify him staying in the job beyond this summer? I'm not so sure. I believe we need to see more from him on the pitch. We'll see... Twice this season he managed to get great performances from his team with his back against the wall (Liverpool at OT and the Spurs/City games) but he's failed to push for better things when everyone around us drops points left, right and centre. After all, he's not the only manager around who trusts youth and focuses on building new sides.
Great post! Not many posters are big enough to admit their mistakes, kudos to you.

You're also right, a mistake on my part. Not all Ole-out brigade don't see positives. I sometimes let myself be carried away by what feels like an overriding theme in any given thread, and tarnish groups with one brush. I do feel though, that more often than not, people in the Ole out camp will basically discredit all the good work that some of us see - as mentioned in my last reply, even so far as explaining away all player improvements that we're seeing. One poster even told me that "anyone can play young players" like it doesn't take courage to do so, when your job is at stake.

You are right that the win / loss record is bad. But, there are signs of it improving. I don't think anyone would be happy with this record long term. But ... he's making big, big changes. Which would clearly lead to a short term hit, as has happened.

Can he continue the current improvement? I don't know. But I think he deserves time to show us. Time and at least 1 more transfer window, to bring in more players that fit his vision. I don't personally like January, I never see much great business done in January (Vida & Evra are outstanding examples of the opposite) but I think another summer, then a few months to see how it translates on the field.

As mentioned previously ... this is all unless something goes obviously, disastrously and spectacularly wrong, like losing the dressing room.

dirkey

Why would guarantees need to be given? You can obviously keep a player without guaranteeing they start every game, it happens at top clubs all the time. You could argue It might not be fair to them but the manager is supposed to put club interests first. I really don't think Smalling is the type to cause trouble if we'd have asked him to stay and fight for his place.
Well, my understanding, and I might be wrong, is that Smalling wanted said guarantees, that he'd start 30 odd games.

b82REZ

Well, my understanding, and I might be wrong, is that Smalling wanted said guarantees, that he'd start 30 odd games.
What are you basing your understanding of this off? I've seen nothing to suggest this.

This whole debacle looks more like a misguided attempt by Ole to introduce a continental flair on our defence. It borders on arrogance how much we seem to prioritise playing out of the back. We do not have the personnel across the starting 11 to implement such a style and I cannot fathom why we repeatedly try and build our attacks from deep. It's not worked all season and nothing suggests it's going to start to now.

I've said it numerous times, the decision to start this "rebuild" and "cultural change" by prioritizing the defence first and foremost, and to expect them to play the ball out of the back was the biggest mistake the club made in the summer. For a manager that preaches attacking football he does come across as very defensive and summer business supports that.

dirkey

What are you basing your understanding of this off? I've seen nothing to suggest this.

This whole debacle looks more like a misguided attempt by Ole to introduce a continental flair on our defence. It borders on arrogance how much we seem to prioritise playing out of the back. We do not have the personnel across the starting 11 to implement such a style and I cannot fathom why we repeatedly try and build our attacks from deep. It's not worked all season and nothing suggests it's going to start to now.

I've said it numerous times, the decision to start this "rebuild" and "cultural change" by prioritizing the defence first and foremost, and to expect them to play the ball out of the back was the biggest mistake the club made in the summer. For a manager that preaches attacking football he does come across as very defensive and summer business supports that.
“He (Solskjaer) said I would get games.

“I am used to playing when I am fit. Although that might have been slightly different this season, I would have had the cup games and then in the league, depending on injuries.

“Would it have been the 40-50 games that I am used to if fit? It might have been the 20-30. Still a good number of games but I want to play.”

But hang on, it's arrogance to try and play out from the back? We don't have the personnel ... he is trying to change that, by bringing in Maguire for Smalling, and utilising Lindelof more ... and he's lambasted for that. So, which is it? He should just stick with Smalling and not try and play out from the back, because it's arrogant to do so? That's a baffling viewpoint.

Giggsyking

Risking the safety of a player to save your pathetic 3rd round tie in a fecking cup competition, just for that he should sent back to Norway to learn how manage injured players. Pathetic.

b82REZ

“He (Solskjaer) said I would get games.

“I am used to playing when I am fit. Although that might have been slightly different this season, I would have had the cup games and then in the league, depending on injuries.

“Would it have been the 40-50 games that I am used to if fit? It might have been the 20-30. Still a good number of games but I want to play.”

But hang on, it's arrogance to try and play out from the back? We don't haveq the personnel ... he is trying to change that, by bringing in Maguire for Smalling, and utilising Lindelof more ... and he's lambasted for that. So, which is it? He should just stick with Smalling and not try and play out from the back, because it's arrogant to do so? That's a baffling viewpoint.
No he shouldn't be trying to play out of the back, I stated that in the first post.

It is arrogance to keep insisting we try, because its not working and really we don't have the players to make that system work. So he should have kept Smalling this year as him and Lindleof had developed a fairly good understanding and covered for one anothers weaknesses, whereas now we have 2 very similar defenders with similar weaknesses.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No he shouldn't be trying to play out of the back, I stated that in the first post.

It is arrogance to keep insisting we try, because its not working and really we don't have the players to make that system work. So he should have kept Smalling this year as him and Lindleof had developed a fairly good understanding and covered for one anothers weaknesses, whereas now we have 2 very similar defenders with similar weaknesses.
If we were still going into games with Smalling and Lindelof at CB he would have been crucified.

b82REZ

If we were still going into games with Smalling and Lindelof at CB he would have been crucified.
I agree he probably would have, but Ole needs to start thinking for the long term benefit of the club and stop doing what he thinks fans want him to do because so many of his decisions reek of a manger scared to upset the supporters.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I agree he probably would have, but Ole needs to start thinking for the long term benefit of the club and stop doing what he thinks fans want him to do because so many of his decisions reek of a manger scared to upset the supporters.
This is a new one. The standard line is he's doing exactly what the owners want him to do.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If you mean fans of Liverpool and City, then yeah.

If you mean fans of Utd, then no.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Irwin99

Could be absolutely disastrous to sack Ole before the very end of the season, even if things get worse and we don't make top 4. More cynical fans have argued that the Glazers appointing Ole was a way of keeping the fans at OT onside and keeping expectations at a low but I said at the time, if this goes wrong the crowd will get toxic with Ed and the Glazers not at Ole. You got the sense before that some fans were split on how much of the issues in previous years were on Moyes, LVG and Jose. I don't think it will be the same this time.

I'm guessing if things get worse Ole will be publicly backed until the very last game of the season, then sacked and a new manager will be announced immediately. They'll probably hope that all the anger dissipates as people will wonder how Poch will do next year.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What good is sacking Ole going to do right now? Window closes in 10 days so the squad won't change. We've got loads of injuries and are 5th. Nobody is coming in right now and making us a top 4 team. Not a chance.

Sacking him in the summer is an option for sure but I want Woodward and the Glazers to go more. Far bigger problem. Their successors will probably replace Ole anyway.

reddevil702

His comments protecting Ed and our recruitment is exactly why he's still the manager. Just content with whatever Woodward and the Glazer's give him. He knows once this ends, he will never manage in the PL again so of course he's going to try and please the board since he's not good enough to get anything on the pitch. We're now taking moral victories, his post match comments sound more like a coach managing a youth football club not Manchester United. We will learn, we will grow, we will get better, we made it tough, it's a complete joke. Anyone thinking this is just down to player quality is in for a rude awaking if the board is somehow stupid enough to stick with Ole past this season. Valverde and Klopp are the perfect example of the influence a manager can have. Bad managers will make good players look worse, and a good manager will make bad players look better than they are.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The opposite is the case in my opinion. Letting so many players go opened him up to the risk of all kinds of criticism, but it was what was needed for the club to move forward.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
His comments protecting Ed and our recruitment is exactly why he's still the manager. Just content with whatever Woodward and the Glazer's give him. He knows once this ends, he will never manage in the PL again so of course he's going to try and please the board since he's not good enough to get anything on the pitch. We're now taking moral victories, his post match comments sound more like a coach managing a youth football club not Manchester United. We will learn, we will grow, we will get better, we made it tough, it's a complete joke. Anyone thinking this is just down to player quality is in for a rude awaking if the board is somehow stupid enough to stick with Ole past this season. Valverde and Klopp are the perfect example of the influence a manager can have. Bad managers will make good players look worse, and a good manager will make bad players look better than they are.
Ole is talking like the manager of the youngest squad in the league. I take no offence when he says we need to be aiming to get to the level of Liverpool & City. That is our aim. I take no offence when he talks up the team after a defeat, as long as they deserve it. The team turned up on Sunday but got beaten by a better side. There is no shame in admitting that. To deny it would be to deny the situation we are really in, and its bad enough when supporters do it, but imagine for a second that our manager was doing that. There would truly be no hope.

Its probably about time that we all stopped living in the past and recognised where we are right now. Not as a club, but as a squad of players. We still generate massive revenues, but it costs vast sums of money to buy top players nowadays and the days when we can bring in 6 of them at once are far behind us. The Liverpool forums used to read exactly like United does these days. They still had the memory of being the dominant club in the league and they couldn't see past it, even 20/25 years after they last won a title. The biggest issue with the majority on this forum is that you are too desperate for success, but too impatient to wait for it. You now give all of your attention to findings ways to hate the manager, without seeing any of the essential things that are being done to put us back on the road to having a great team again.

I hope all of you have the balls to come out and admit you got it badly wrong if this turns out to be a success.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

As i said Smalling is an alright defender, but his tendency to hoof every time an opposing player is within 20 yards of him is a big liability. Maguire/Smalling is probably a good as pairing as Maguire/Lindelof imo. Neither of the latter are good enough for different reasons.

That bolded part is a bit far though? Worst transfer in the PL era? Thats a pretty high bar

Foxbatt

Ole is talking like the manager of the youngest squad in the league. I take no offence when he says we need to be aiming to get to the level of Liverpool & City. That is our aim. I take no offence when he talks up the team after a defeat, as long as they deserve it. The team turned up on Sunday but got beaten by a better side. There is no shame in admitting that. To deny it would be to deny the situation we are really in, and its bad enough when supporters do it, but imagine for a second that our manager was doing that. There would truly be no hope.

Its probably about time that we all stopped living in the past and recognised where we are right now. Not as a club, but as a squad of players. We still generate massive revenues, but it costs vast sums of money to buy top players nowadays and the days when we can bring in 6 of them at once are far behind us. The Liverpool forums used to read exactly like United does these days. They still had the memory of being the dominant club in the league and they couldn't see past it, even 20/25 years after they last won a title. The biggest issue with the majority on this forum is that you are too desperate for success, but too impatient to wait for it. You now give all of your attention to findings ways to hate the manager, without seeing any of the essential things that are being done to put us back on the road to having a great team again.

I hope all of you have the balls to come out and admit you got it badly wrong if this turns out to be a success.

What a joke? Since when did the standards of Manchester United go so low? Not even during the times of Jose did we accept that this standard. A defeat is a defeat. It is not a progressive step forward. Not to Manchester United. This is not Molde or Cardiff City. Liverpool never accepted that they are any less than Manchester United. Not when we play. Yes the results and the trophies may show it to be different. No Liverpool manager has come out and said that it was a progressive step forward when they got beaten by us those days.

Yes we recognise reality now and not living in the past. Yes we have a clown as the VC in Woodward and another incompetent man as manager. How low has this club fallen. Yes it is the reality now. And the reality is also those so called new bunch of fans are accepting this. Never even have I seen such BS before. Yes I have been supporting the club in the old second division too but even then we never accepted that we are a lesser club than anyone else. But how low has some fallen now.

AshRK

What good is sacking Ole going to do right now? Window closes in 10 days so the squad won't change. We've got loads of injuries and are 5th. Nobody is coming in right now and making us a top 4 team. Not a chance.

Sacking him in the summer is an option for sure but I want Woodward and the Glazers to go more. Far bigger problem. Their successors will probably replace Ole anyway.
He is not going anywhere before the end of this season. Maybe in summer , but even that is maybe because we are run by fools.

Massive Spanner

As i said Smalling is an alright defender, but his tendency to hoof every time an opposing player is within 20 yards of him is a big liability. Maguire/Smalling is probably a good as pairing as Maguire/Lindelof imo. Neither of the latter are good enough for different reasons.

That bolded part is a bit far though? Worst transfer in the PL era? Thats a pretty high bar
It's a better partnership (imo) and honestly Smalling/Lindelof really isn't much worse than lindelof/Maguire. Not 80m worse, that's for sure.

It's not the worst, Sanchez takes the biscuit on that one. I'd say in terms of cost vs quality though it's up there with Carroll and Torres, at least. If we bought him for half the price he'd probably be an OK transfer.

MonkeysMagic

The argument for keeping Ole until the summer before making a change is akin to someone getting a puncture in the tyre whilst on the motorway and deciding to carry on driving because hey...they are still making progress not realising the untold damage they are creating. Most sensible people would pull over, stop and make the change!

Denis79

What a joke? Since when did the standards of Manchester United go so low? Not even during the times of Jose did we accept that this standard. A defeat is a defeat. It is not a progressive step forward. Not to Manchester United. This is not Molde or Cardiff City. Liverpool never accepted that they are any less than Manchester United. Not when we play. Yes the results and the trophies may show it to be different. No Liverpool manager has come out and said that it was a progressive step forward when they got beaten by us those days.

Yes we recognise reality now and not living in the past. Yes we have a clown as the VC in Woodward and another incompetent man as manager. How low has this club fallen. Yes it is the reality now. And the reality is also those so called new bunch of fans are accepting this. Never even have I seen such BS before. Yes I have been supporting the club in the old second division too but even then we never accepted that we are a lesser club than anyone else. But how low has some fallen now.
Completely and utterly agree.

reddevil702

I have no problem showing patience when there is proof we're building towards something. That's not the case under Ole, there are no foundation being created or essential work being done. We lack a plan now more than ever, and it's worse because we are now just as clueless on the pitch as we are at a board level. Ole's reduced the wage bill, cleared out the deadwood, how's that working out for us? Our deadwood seem to be doing fine in Italy. We will likely miss out on top 4 and not win any silverware this year, can you realistically expect anything different with Ole next season? If so, based on what? You want to cling on to these moral wins, and false assumption that we're building towards something great, when in reality if you look at things objectively it proves the complete opposite. You're saying those that want Ole out are living in the past, and should recognize today. Should does that want Ole in stop living in the future and recognize where we are today?

Status
Not open for further replies.