Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

I never thought I would see the word 'hereunder' being used on the Caf as y'know, no one is drafting up legislation or anything. So I had to do a search and these are my findings: It's been used 10 times on here in the past 15 years and @Tom Cato is responsible for 5 of those times. Congratulations Tom, you've won the 'Hereunder' Caf lifetime achievement award.

Rafaeldagold

fecking hell... And then you say you're rational :houllier:

Fred? McTominay? fecking Rashford who literally and figuratively carried us on his back?
Fred was similar level to previously, same with Mctominany-Jose loved him for a reason

Rashford - been as good as before

rotherham_red

I'm not asking for no transfers at all, but improvement first before huge sums. For instance before breaking any world records for a manager, it would make sense that he should show that he can either improve the performances of the players currently at the club, or show success with a smaller signing first.

Mourinho and Ole both came in here and broke records immediately without proving anything first, and LVG was moaning the other day about how he was led to believe we could buy him any player on this earth. I don't think it's a smart way to operate to blindly back every manager we hire on the off. It's wasted us a lot of money thus far.
Has he not done that, or do you not think he managed to get a tune out of players like Fed and McTominay in a way that no manager previously had done, or that he managed to get both Rashford and Martial scoring consistently? Rashford, lest we forget, was being denigrated on this very forum as recently as September...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
By spending big, do you mean normal big club spending? Because I'm not talking about that, we have been doing much more than that by buying the best players in the top leagues.

I'd rather we back the manager with the normal big club spending first, and then if he succeeds then we can go for the jugular with world records and the like.
What is normal big club spending?

Rafaeldagold

Yeah, course... 'Rashbeck' and 'Rashford' was always seen as a good player, both on here and elsewhere... Christ.
I’ve never called him those names - he’s been great for a while. Clearly talented player

The ones Ole has improved are Martial & Greenwood

Foxbatt

Has he not done that, or do you not think he managed to get a tune out of players like Fed and McTominay in a way that no manager previously had done, or that he managed to get both Rashford and Martial scoring consistently? Rashford, lest we forget, was being denigrated on this very forum as recently as September...
What are you talking about? Fred played a lot better in his previous clubs than at United. As for Scott, United is the only club he has played and previous managers for both of them at United was a toxic Jose. Scott has played just on par when he was played in midfield while Fred was crap in his first season in the PL.
We don't expect Manchester United managers to be fighting for the CL places only. Yes I do understand that this is his second season but even then so far he has not shown to be a top class coach yet.
As the world's biggest club I expect a lot more from a Manchester United managers. It's the same with LVG and Jose.
At least with Ole he has been given the chance to continue even if he fails to qualify for the CL while others would have been sacked and was sacked even after winning trophies.

He'sRaldo

He got access to those huge sums of money before he did anything else.

If you read my point it wasn't a criticism of Ole, but our transfer policy. Ole's case is no different.

roonster09

Scout
Especially for a manager's first season, I'd say transfers around the upper end without being world records. Most clubs don't break world record sums every other season.
Even we don't break world records every other season, we broke once and that was for Pogba.

He'sRaldo

Are you discounting the enormous improvements we've seen across the board on several of our developing players this season? Hereunder: Marcus Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, AWB, Williams and McTominay?

And if you're not. Why can't the current manager be allowed to continue his work, seeing as he'soverseeing their development currently? Will a new manager get more our of these players than we currently are? If yes: How exactly?
AWB was bought for a lot of money. That's basically my point, Ole hadn't really shown anything before being allowed to spend that much.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Thought i'd look at our progress in a little more detail, so I give you... the United Goal Difference Progress Graph.
  • The circles represent clean sheets
  • Red Line = Jose in charge
  • Blue Line = Ole in charge
  • Given Oles been in charge of 58 United league games, I used Jose' last 58 league games
I added a few key events during the timeline. The Sevilla game for example being the start of the decline under Jose and the PSG miracle being the end of the Ole new manager bounce (it does exist).

Some more interesting stats for this timeline:

ManagerLeague GamesGFGAGDClean SheetsTotal Points
Jose58100594123111
Ole58100613917103

It's almost identical scoring/conceding wise. Jose edges it out on total points and clean sheets. A little scary how both teams end up with almost an identical goal difference. Either way, current progress looks promising for Ole as he is replicating Jose' good form back in 2017 at the moment. Is progress being made? If you remove Oles new manager bounce from the equation then our form from the 31st March 2018 to 26th December 2019 is pretty similar, but to Ole's credit he's managed to shake us out of that slump and bring us back upto speed. Whether this is just another blip of good form is the debate, we will only know that answer by January 2021 when Corona withstanding we should be roughly half way through the 20/21 season.

It's clearly taken the squad some time to recover from Jose's final season, the additions to our defense took time to settle but the last 7 months has shown a big improvement, along with our attack being boosted by Bruno. It's clear progress.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
AWB- I think he’s regressed
DDG- Definitely regressed
Rashford - Similar level as previously
Martial - Improved
Greenwood- Improved massively
Mctominany- was good previously
Dan James- Regressed

Not sure his record on improving players is as good as you make out
Rashford League Stats:

He's improved his goal scoring drastically under Ole.
Manager​
Mins​
Goals​
Assists​
Min per Goal​
Min per Assist​
Managed by Jose​
4356​
15​
12​
290.4​
363.0​
Managed by Ole​
4058​
24​
10​
169.1​
405.8​

note these are taken from Transfermarkt.com

romufc

At least with Ole he has been given the chance to continue even if he fails to qualify for the CL while others would have been sacked and was sacked even after winning trophies.
LVG - Given 2 summer windows. Got sacked after failing to get UCL even though he got the FA Cup
Jose - Got us trophies and got 3 summer windows. Sacked after he was 6th in the league.

Ole hasnt even completed one full season.

roonster09

Scout
Rashford Stats:

He's improved his goal scoring drastically under Ole.
Manager​
Mins​
Goals​
Assists​
Min per Goal​
Min per Assist​
Managed by Jose​
4356​
15​
12​
290.4​
363.0​
Managed by Ole​
4058​
24​
10​
169.1​
405.8​

note these are taken from Transfermarkt.com
Only league record?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I never thought I would see the word 'hereunder' being used on the Caf as y'know, no one is drafting up legislation or anything. So I had to do a search and these are my findings: It's been used 10 times on here in the past 15 years and @Tom Cato is responsible for 5 of those times. Congratulations Tom, you've won the 'Hereunder' Caf lifetime achievement award.
Honestly this gave me a laugh :D

He'sRaldo

Even we don't break world records every other season, we broke once and that was for Pogba.
Maguire and Wan-Bissaka were also record signings for their positions. A lot of the clubs we're up against in the market can't compete with us. We end up outmuscling them financially. If we get Sancho, and I hope we do, that's another example of us shopping at the absolute top of the pile even above other top clubs. It's why i don't buy the argument of us constantly losing out on signings to other clubs. We usually always win.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm glad we are showing that ambition, but it should be done smartly.

roonster09

Scout
Maguire and Wan-Bissaka were also record signings for their positions. A lot of the clubs we're up against in the market can't compete with us. We end up outmuscling them financially. If we get Sancho, and I hope we do, that's another example of us shopping at the absolute top of the pile even above other top clubs.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm glad we are showing that ambition, but it should be done smartly.
So we are in a position where we can sign these players, clubs in lesser financial positions back their managers with what they can. I didn't know you are talking about records by position btw.

There is no club who will hire a manger and not back them, instead of that ask them to prove before spending, if that's the case they wouldn't hire that manger.

Also AWB wasn't record signing, Simon Stone posted a tweet saying Walker cost 52 million pounds, which is still a record.

tomaldinho1

You can argue that Ole is doing the same with us though. The fact is that Pochettino was at Tottenham for a long, long time and he won nothing with a very good group of players, some would argue he had one of the best elevens in the Premier League. We therefore have learnt that Pochettino is very good at building a team, but has struggled and may always struggle to reach the final hurdle. That's fine, not every Manager is destined to be a winner. But we dont' know if this could apply to Ole, we're still early on in his rebuild of our squad, we know that our attacking players have improved, Martial has seen a massive rise in form since Ole took over while Rashford has not only brought more goals to his game but he's also developing into a playmaker. Greenwood goes from strength to strength. Shaw has improved his fitness and form, Lindelof looks like a decent CB finally. Heck, even Fred who I had totally written off has come good. There are signs that Ole is doing what Poch did and what Klopp did.

This is also backed up with our form, we started off badly, don't think anyone here will excuse the first half season form. But we've also been on genuinely excellent runs of form, title winning form. The signs are there that Ole can make this work, whether he goes the same route as Pochettino and becomes a nearly man is up for debate. But to me, it's just a sideways step if we replaced Ole with Poch, no point upsetting the dressing room and fecking up our Summer transfer plans. I also get pissed off with people dismissing our goals as simply "excellent individual goals", i'm sorry, but that's utter, utter shit. The sheer quantity of excellent goals we've scored lately isn't luck, isn't fluke. It's attacking players confident to express themselves, that comes from the Manager. We aren't passing it sideways and playing safe, we're playing attractive creative football. It doesn't always work and we still are inconsistent (shocker), but that comes with time. Again, the signs are there that we're developing as a formidable attacking unit.

Not only has our attacking players improved but we're also picking up far more clean sheets, so we've improved at the back, improved at the front, scoring more goals, conceding less. Getting runs of solid form together and moved up to 3rd and yet by some in this forum we're not making progress. It's infuriating arguing with these idiots who've had it out for Ole since the day he was made Manager.
This is kind of ignoring my original post that by the end of Poch's tenure we were talking about all these amazing players he had but the point is he developed them all. It's a bit different with United because we tend to buy players like Pogba, Maguire, Shaw, AWB etc who are world record transfers for their role/age and so you generally are dealing with a different calibre of player (at least a perceived different calibre at that time). Martial is probably the best example of where Ole has done well in that you can see his development this season easily but I'm not sure he's improved the others you mentioned, although he should get credit for at least getting them back to an ok level unlike Mourinho and, in fairness, Ole didn't sign them anyway.

When you measure progress, at some point you have to look past the big media push that's been undoubtedly happening about the feel good factor being back/how Ole is getting back to the 'United way' and assess things without emotion/loyalty/bias. We are having an poor season and stats wise I don't think your last paragraph is accurate. Hopefully the below is helpful because I didn't actually realise the extent to which the stats don't back Ole:
  • Points total (63): If Ole doesn't win at Leicester he will have the lowest points total finish since Moyes (LVG's was 66 & Mou's was 66 the season he was fired so it's half Ole's already anyway), that alone should be serious cause for concern.
  • Goals scored (64): Contrary to what you state, we are actually -1 GF this season compared to last. Here's hoping we win on Sunday and that at least draws level but hardly a big sign of progress.
  • Goals conceded (36): Definitely an improvement on last season although 18/19 was atrocious and it's worth pointing out Ole took over with 20 games remaining where he conceded 27 goals.
    • We have already conceded more goals than every other season post Moyes bar LVG's first (we are currently 1 goal less than that)
This isn't me bashing Ole, it's just that I really don't see any progress despite shelling out on more world record signings and having what I consider a really good squad. I do recognise players are much happier and our strikers have been having a good season but we have to look at everything together because it's not like we have 'bad' defenders and midfielders, on the contrary we are rammed full of supposedly world class/elite players. Lose to Leicester and Ole will have presided over the lowest points total, most goals conceded season since Moyes and potentially, dependant on scoreline, also scoring less goals than the disaster of 18/19.

Foxbatt

So long as he is the manager he should be backed to the hilt to get the players he wants. If he wants to spend 500 million so be it if he wins the PL and CL.
I have no issues with the amount of money he spends so long as he wins trophies.

Idxomer

:lol:

AneRu

Also the thing these people suggesting all the random names are forgetting is there has to be continuity. What's the point if the next manager now comes and say I don't need Martial or Awb or doesn't fancy Greenwood.

That is why I am totally against Allegri or even tuchel who may not even fancy our players.
Ole came in and didn't fancy Lukaku amongst several others, these things happen but I doubt there is progressive manager who would come in and try to get shot of Martial and Greenwood. If that happens then most likely the club would have made a wrong appointment.

FatherWolff

I’m a positive advocate of Paul Pogba and unjustified criticism which is mainly due to him being foreign and dare I say it black. So don’t talk to me about agenda’s.

There’s no agenda. I see flaws in our management system that even with greater players will still be present and prevent us from winning a title. I share my view on that. Having debates on a Internet forum is not wrong. Having a debate to quiet people who speak out on what is considered treason (Not sticking behind your manager at all times) is actually the true agenda.

I will have a back and forth with anyone on here but what I don’t like is people name calling because they can’t be bothered to discuss a topic or have a point of view. If you have an alternative view to mine then express it; if you don’t like the content of this thread then go to another one. I like transfer gossip and when the transfer market opens back up I’ll spend all of my time in the transfer forum with the muppets. Those that don’t like those stuff tend not to be there. Get my drift.
Good on you! Lashing out on Pogba is beyond stupidity now he is about to sign a new contract..

You are not very knowledgeable about football, but I don’t have the prevlidges to put you to bed.

But if you for one moment think it is in the clubs interest spreading negative energy this moment in time, you are not a ManUtd supporter but a WHUM. Either that or a bloody idiot.

This is the time for all men on deck. Not agenda driven fools who would like nothing more than be proven right. Embarrassing...

lysglimt

Scout
You’re going to burst a blood vessel. Just leave them to it. They were the same with Jose and Moyes. They don’t learn and they can’t look past Ole the player.

I know it’s hard to let it rest especially when it’s so blatantly obvious what the problem is. But like people have said before only around 5% of a football fan base actually know anything about football.

You’re better off trolling it’s more fun.
And you have frequently in this thread shown that you certainly are not among those 5%

romufc

I know it’s hard to let it rest especially when it’s so blatantly obvious what the problem is. But like people have said before only around 5% of a football fan base actually know anything about football.
So is it the 5% of the 500 people who vote him to be sacked or 5% of the entire fan base?

Because 1562 people have voted to keep him.

Also, you are the 5% that know so much, you wanted Roberto Martinez as Manutd manager to replace Jose. :lol:

He'sRaldo

So we are in a position where we can sign these players, clubs in lesser financial positions back their managers with what they can. I didn't know you are talking about records by position btw.

There is no club who will hire a manger and not back them, instead of that ask them to prove before spending, if that's the case they wouldn't hire that manger.

Also AWB wasn't record signing, Simon Stone posted a tweet saying Walker cost 52 million pounds, which is still a record.
AWB was talked about as a record, so that's news to me.

But yeah, I'm not unhappy we are able to win against most other clubs in the market, I'm worried it's not done with sense and thus we're wasting a lot of money. For instance, if we hired someone like Moves and backed him with records before he even proved anything, that wouldn't be smart right?

Not saying that Ole is Moyes btw, just saying the huge backing we've given our managers needs to have come with some sort of guarantee. We all knew Mourinho being backed with Persic and Willian wasn't the right move; hence proof that there should be requirements before backing.

roonster09

Scout
AWB was talked about as a record, so that's news to me.

But yeah, I'm not unhappy we are able to win against most other clubs in the market, I'm worried it's not done with sense and thus we're wasting a lot of money. For instance, if we hired someone like Moves and backed him with records before he even proved anything, that wouldn't be smart right?

Not saying that Ole is Moyes btw, just saying the huge backing we've given our managers needs to have come with some sort of guarantee. We all knew Mourinho being backed with Persic and Willian wasn't the right move; hence proof that there should be requirements before backing.
If the management is convinced Moyes was the right man and they agree to sign a contract with them, then yes they should back him (not signing every player but at least back him to get few players).

I don't think anyone would argue manager should be backed all the time and every player they want should be signed, it's just that logic of "prove first then we can sign" is just wrong. If you don't trust manager then don't sign him.

Which big club hired manager, asked him to prove first before spending money?

romufc

If the management is convinced Moyes was the right man and they agree to sign a contract with them, then yes they should back him (not signing every player but at least back him to get few players).

I don't think anyone would argue manager should be backed all the time and every player they want should be signed, it's just that logic of "prove first then we can sign" is just wrong. If you don't trust manager then don't sign him.

I could argue the point in reverse.

Ole was given the chance to prove himself in this temp stint. He proved himself by getting all those wins and the PSG miracle. Then he got the job and see how it went?

What is to say, if we done the same with another manager, backed him after 6 months, the results won't be the same?

This is why it is so hard to chose the right manager. Right now, other than Pep and Klopp, there isnt much top top qaulity out there.

He'sRaldo

I agree with your point in general.

The problem is we're not a typical big club in terms of hiring managers. We've made at least 2 hirings out of 4 where it would make sense that the manager needs to show something first. For the other 2 it would make sense to back them.

roonster09

Scout
I could argue the point in reverse.

Ole was given the chance to prove himself in this temp stint. He proved himself by getting all those wins and the PSG miracle. Then he got the job and see how it went?

What is to say, if we done the same with another manager, backed him after 6 months, the results won't be the same?

This is why it is so hard to chose the right manager. Right now, other than Pep and Klopp, there isnt much top top qaulity out there.
I don't know what you are arguing btw. I didnt say Ole is the best possible manager we can get, I said "prove and spend" is something that will never work and no big club works like that.

roonster09

Scout
I agree with your point in general.

The problem is we're not a typical big club in terms of hiring managers. We've made at least 2 hirings out of 4 where it would make sense that the manager needs to show something first. For the other 2 it would make sense to back them.
If the club wants the managers to prove before spending then they shouldn't sign them, they should sign them when they prove elsewhere or sign managers who have already proven their worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.