Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

But we are lucky that it is Newcastle and if he cannot beat Newcastle then he does not deserve to be here I guess.

Cloud7

If City are moving for Poch we need to absolutely start moving for him before them and secure him at least if not now then from next season. Can't think of a better choice for us post Ole currently.

The only problem that will be here with Poch in charge is that I'll have to block Amadaeus as he'll be worse than Ole in group here in dealing with criticism for him.
If Poch does become our manager he's going on ignore instantly regardless of how results go :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I for one hope Guardiola doesn't renew and Poch is lined up to replace him. Which might be a blessing in disguise because it might force us to think outside of the box.
And it would mean City would have a much lesser manager than they currently have.

Though it might mean we make another terrible appointment (seen Hughes tipping Giggsy for the job recently).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And it would mean City would have a much lesser manager than they currently have.

Though it might mean we make another terrible appointment (seen Hughes tipping Giggsy for the job recently).
The decision makers do worry me if I'm honest.

Foxbatt

Anyone who thinks Giggs is the one to be the next manager of Manchester United should be put in a mental hospital.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Anyone who thinks Giggs is the one to be the next manager of Manchester United should be put in a mental hospital.
Actually this would fit Woodward's MO perfectly. Club legend, underqualified, too grateful to rock the boat. Protection for his asset stripping operation in other words.

"Woodward’s shortcomings make it even more important to have a really good coach in place". Taylor absolutely spot on there.
No because they aren't shortcomings. Woodward knows exactly what he's doing. Calling them shortcomings is to miss the big picture.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Actually this would fit Woodward's MO perfectly. Club legend, underqualified, too grateful to rock the boat. Protection for his asset stripping operation in other words.

No because they aren't shortcomings. Woodward knows exactly what he's doing. Calling them shortcomings is to miss the big picture.
Nice theory. Of course they are asset stripping. That's the whole point to their ownership. However, spending money wisely is better business, makes for more asset stripping. Competency in key roles will yield more financial and sporting success.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
It doesn't matter who the manager is - the outcome will be the same.

We will never win the league while The Glazers own the club.

We managed it with the greatest manager of all time in charge - but we won't with mere mortals at the helm.

Mainoldo

It doesn't matter who the manager is - the outcome will be the same.

We will never win the league while The Glazers own the club.

We managed it with the greatest manager of all time in charge - but we won't with mere mortals at the helm.
Simple. We just have to have the best manager in the league then. Like most clubs that win the title do.

jderbyshire

Simple. We just have to have the best manager in the league then. Like most clubs that win the title do.
The common denominator among recent title winning clubs is not necessarily having the best manager (although don't get me wrong, it does help) - but in fact one thing they all have in common is they're not in £500m+ debt.

Cloud7

This is really something that we need to wrap our minds and come to terms with as a fanbase. Woody has done a below par job as our CEO and chief negotiator and whatever the hell else he does. We should have more football people involved in the decision making of the club. We should be run as a football club not a corporate entity. We should have some clear direction on where we want to go as a football club. I'm not going to say any of those things are not true. However, the crux of the matter is that no matter how much we agitate, Woody is going nowhere. Even if we judge his job to be below par, by whatever metrics the Glazers use to judge him, he is doing his job to their liking, and nothing we do will change that.

The only solution going forward as it is right now, as said here, is to get managers/coaches that are as good as possible, so as to mitigate the deficiencies in other areas. It's not ideal, but it's the situation that we find ourselves in, and moaning about what it should and 'Woody out' isn't going to get us heading in any sort of positive direction.

And I will repeat this one more time. As Manchester United fans, we should know above all else just how important the right manager is. Our club has been successful under two managers, with a load of not very much between them. We need the best/second best/third best manager in the league to compete. That's always been the case anyway.

Cloud7

The common denominator among recent title winning clubs is not necessarily having the best manager (although don't get me wrong, it does help) - but in fact one thing they all have in common is they're not in £500m+ debt.
The only time in the last 7 years or so that you could say the PL winning club didn't have one of the three best managers in the league was when Leicester won it. Being in debt hasn't stopped us from spending a ridiculous amount of money on players.

Mainoldo

I don’t get how it being in debt helps to be honest? Real Madrid have pretty much been in debt since I’ve known football. I’ve witnessed them win 5 Champions League titles.

I’m going to say that the manager is more important and our chances of finishing higher than City increase I’d we swap managers regardless of debt. I don’t think it matters if we swapped debt positions.

jderbyshire

The only time in the last 7 years or so that you could say the PL winning club didn't have one of the three best managers in the league was when Leicester won it. Being in debt hasn't stopped us from spending a ridiculous amount of money on players.
We were talking about THE best manager in the league though, not "top three" - that wasn't the criteria.

jderbyshire

I don’t get how it being in debt helps to be honest? Real Madrid have pretty much been in debt since I’ve known football. I’ve witnessed them win 5 Champions League titles.

I’m going to say that the manager is more important and our chances of finishing higher than City increase I’d we swap managers regardless of debt. I don’t think it matters if we swapped debt positions.
Their debt owed to banks is very small compared to ours and let's remember their debt is due to actual investments in the club, not due to a leveraged buyout.

Mainoldo

Their debt owed to banks is very small compared to ours and let's remember their debt is due to actual investments in the club, not due to a leveraged buyout.
Thats nice but my point is it has sweet fa to do with us not winning the league.

Cloud7

We were talking about THE best manager in the league though, not "top three" - that wasn't the criteria.
There were times when Sir Alex was manager that we lost the league to the second/third best manager in the league. I would say having one of the top three managers in the league is what you need to win it.

Amir

Being in debt isn't the issue. Not spending money isn't the issue - because we've spent money. Being badly ran resulted in four successive bad managerial appointments - a bunch of has been and never will be's. That's it.

I believe football teams have a good chance of doing well if they have one of two - a great coach or great management (CEO, DOF or whatever). We didn't have either in the last seven years. We're not going to change when it comes to how the club is being ran, unfortunately. So we need to get a managerial appointment right in order to have a chance.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Nice theory. Of course they are asset stripping. That's the whole point to their ownership. However, spending money wisely is better business, makes for more asset stripping. Competency in key roles will yield more financial and sporting success.
And yet Ed must know he is unqualified to made football decisions, only financial ones. So must the Glazers. So why is he being allowed to if it's costing money?

Answer...it isnt. It is making money.

Foxbatt

Being in debt isn't the issue. Not spending money isn't the issue - because we've spent money. Being badly ran resulted in four successive bad managerial appointments - a bunch of has been and never will be's. That's it.

I believe football teams have a good chance of doing well if they have one of two - a great coach or great management (CEO, DOF or whatever). We didn't have either in the last seven years. We're not going to change when it comes to how the club is being ran, unfortunately. So we need to get a managerial appointment right in order to have a chance.
Absolutely. May I also add that I think too much consideration is given by the club management to the so called pundits in some of their decision making. They have all appointed managers on this after the sacking of Moyes.
I also think the management is not strong enough to withstand the buffeting and only is reactive instead of being proactive.
I personally don't believe that Woodward is going to buy a player that the manager is refusing. He could very well reject to buy a player that the manager wants depending on the financial circumstances.
So Maguire is an Ole purchase. He is suitable for a Jose team but not to a team that plays a high line.
We need a top class coach to make our players play to their full potential. Not newbie coaches without any experience in a top club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And yet Ed must know he is unqualified to made football decisions, only financial ones. So must the Glazers. So why is he being allowed to if it's costing money?

Answer...it isnt. It is making money.
That's the right question. But I'm sure there's a different answer. Referring to my previous post, they'll always make money, but being sensible will make them more money.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
That's the right question. But I'm sure there's a different answer. Referring to my previous post, they'll always make money, but being sensible will make them more money.
This. Ed is a moron, but people forget who our board is at this point - they are even more clueless, bigger morons. They don't fully realize what Ed is doing to this club and how much more money club can be making. Besides - if United keeps being shit long- term, how many of its global fans are going to stick around? Local, die-hard fans are only enough for a club of the size of Everton even that a maybe. Apologies for a harsh truth but it is what it is.

Honestly, myself - I have never entertained changing my love and loyalty to this club despite all the shit we've been through this past 7 years. But I am afraid that if this clueless clown sucks Ole - that will be the final straw for me. I can't watch this circus forever. I will always love United but it will be more of a melancholic love of a has-been. I have no desire to closely follow and support United if Ole needs to pay for Ed's feck ups (+replace "Ole", in that sentence, with all future managers, as long as Glazers and Woodwards own this club)

I hope the rumors are just a dirty PR campaign (albeit most likely coming from Ed)

Foxbatt

But they spend money on players. We simply happen to buy the wrong players and pay them ridiculous wages. Being in debt is not the problem. We service our debts. It is the footballing side that is wrong. Wrong people making the wrong decisions. Getting Ole in the first place as the permanent manager was the wrong starting point.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He was appointed as a caretaker manager and even now I still see him as a caretaker manager. Obviously we knew his managerial career so I can't get angry at him, this is probably the best that he can do.

Last edited:

Slysi17

Whatever way you look at it, I think Mauricio Pochettino will be Manchester United manager.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

This is really something that we need to wrap our minds and come to terms with as a fanbase. Woody has done a below par job as our CEO and chief negotiator and whatever the hell else he does. We should have more football people involved in the decision making of the club. We should be run as a football club not a corporate entity. We should have some clear direction on where we want to go as a football club. I'm not going to say any of those things are not true. However, the crux of the matter is that no matter how much we agitate, Woody is going nowhere. Even if we judge his job to be below par, by whatever metrics the Glazers use to judge him, he is doing his job to their liking, and nothing we do will change that.

The only solution going forward as it is right now, as said here, is to get managers/coaches that are as good as possible, so as to mitigate the deficiencies in other areas. It's not ideal, but it's the situation that we find ourselves in, and moaning about what it should and 'Woody out' isn't going to get us heading in any sort of positive direction.

And I will repeat this one more time. As Manchester United fans, we should know above all else just how important the right manager is. Our club has been successful under two managers, with a load of not very much between them. We need the best/second best/third best manager in the league to compete. That's always been the case anyway.
That is my opinion as well. We all know that the structure is rotten to the core, so the best we can hope for is the best manager available who gets the maximum out of this bunch and has maybe at least a small say about players going in and out.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Perhaps we could look at it a different way and instead of sacking Ole, the club got him better coaches. We have 2 relatively inexperienced (as in coaching a first team premier club) and perhaps we should look to bring some experience in. Phelan couldnt hack it at Hull alone, so perhaps he needed a Mulenstein at Utd as 2 experienced heads were better than one. Carrick and McKenna are not showing any improvement in tactics, build up play etc so a change of coaches and older experienced heads may make some difference.
I have said this at least once before, but i think its wort repeating for some context

In 2017 i was on a flight to Manchester and sat next to some guy in his 40's from Molde. He was on his way to Liverpool, but despite that he was a decent bloke and we of course got talking about football. He claimed to be good mates with Daniel Berg Hestad who is a "Molde legend" but also was club captain there for most of his career and of course played under Ole there. Anyways this guy claimed that Ole was not a "handa on coach" at all. He would of course have a plan/vision for how he wanted the team to play, did the team talks and stuff like that, but the training sessions themselves he was very little involved in. Either he was just observing and a lot of the times he was not even present. Now of course this was just some bloke on a plane, but i dont understand why he would lie about it

Anyways, i dont really know if our coaches are good or not and i honestly cant tell if we are badly coached or not. During our winning run post lockdown we looked well drilled and organized and this season we look like we never have even played football. Football is not that mechanical so i dont get how people can be so certain in this whole "coaching is the sole reason we are shite" explanation.

Greck

Want all of Fergie's disciples as far away from the club as possible. Has to be a good example for the younger ones on why you never model yourself after the 1%. Seems they also want to emulate Fergie's intangibles while retaining his weaknesses

Craig Ward

But they spend money on players. We simply happen to buy the wrong players and pay them ridiculous wages. Being in debt is not the problem. We service our debts. It is the footballing side that is wrong. Wrong people making the wrong decisions. Getting Ole in the first place as the permanent manager was the wrong starting point.
I think the wrong starting point started way before we hired Ole.

The last couple of years SAF was here the writing was on the wall regarding poor planning and lack of knowledge in the transfer market coupled with average negotiating skills.

Ole isn't the problem - he's the best managerial appointment we've had since SAF and deserves more time and credit for what he is trying to do.

Truth is - under the current structure of the club whoever we appoint has no chance. Not a single iota of a chance of success.

We are run so poorly - we are simply getting by on past glory and reputation only. We aren't a very competitive football club in todays terms. Thats not on Ole - Thats on the owners and they're vision of the club

Mainoldo

The last couple of years SAF was here the writing was on the wall regarding poor planning and lack of knowledge in the transfer market coupled with average negotiating skills.

Ole isn't the problem - he's the best managerial appointment we've had since SAF and deserves more time and credit for what he is trying to do.

Truth is - under the current structure of the club whoever we appoint has no chance. Not a single iota of a chance of success.

We are run so poorly - we are simply getting by on past glory and reputation only. We aren't a very competitive football club in todays terms. Thats not on Ole - Thats on the owners and they're vision of the club
Why are we run poorly that our managers are incapable of succeeding on the pitch?

Skills

Snitch
Why are we run poorly that our managers are incapable of succeeding on the pitch?
Oles actually the manager who would struggle by far the most under a DOF/Sporting Director if it is to be believed he leaves the coaching to the likes of Carrick and McKenna.

Any director of football would be asking him, what the feck is his role then? Because if we do change structure, transfer activity/squad make up would be under a DOFs remit. If Carrick and McKenna are the guys in charge of the training ground, what is Ole bringing to the picture?

Dr. StrangeHate

So Woodward/board got the managerial appointment right according to you. So he is competent in that department. He makes the club a lot of money so he is competent in that department as well.
The only issue you seem to have is not buying players. Is that the case?
Fair enough this squad is unlikely to win the league but it definitely should get 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.